Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gaelforce09

lads i wouldnt go buying trail runners now. Its 3 days to race. I have mine over a month and still getting used to them.
    blisters etc would be a killer on the day

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have yet to get a wiggle order next day.
    They are selling them out there or equivalent I THINK at the GF registration.

I won't be trying new shoes now lads, you need to break them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Timmah! wrote: »
    Got one in Snow + Rock in Dundrum last week, €85 but I haggled a fiver off...

so your the one who got the last one!

I had that bag in my hand but that was before the mandatory full over...
    got a lend of a small one anyway, gonna have trail runner hang from tri bars should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

lads i wouldnt go buying trail runners now. Its 3 days to race. I have mine over a month and still getting used to them.
    blisters etc would be a killer on the day

i bought Speedcross 2s few weeks back, didn't need much breaking in for me as they are comfortable and well padded.

I think i'd recommend using these, the place is going to be wet and slippy, these lads will defo be a big help i'd think on the day. I done CP with my normal runners and while doable on the dry day i was there, i think it would be tough doing it after the run and cycle on the day with wet feet in what's looking like bad weather..

I think if ur thinking of getting the speedcross 2s, i'd go for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ok, so I'm just wondering - is anyone as ill prepared as I am??!! Reading through this tread is freaking me out. So, here's the breakdown...

- Have run a bit - a few 5 mile, 10K, 10 mile races, and I use "races" very loosely, I was only there to finish. Oh, and all with a nice rest afterwards, never as part of any mutli event dealy-o.

- Have only cycled more than 5K once - yesterday! A panic "can I do it" 35 K cycle. Apart from that it's just been the leisurely 5K commute back and forth to work for the past 2 months or so. And I mean leisurely!

- Took a Sunday drive to the Sugar Loaf a few months back for a stroll up the path to the top with my girlfriend and a nice little sit down on the top - not anything like a hill run!

- Have paddled a kayak in about 15 years.

Oh, and I only have runners which I'll be wearing for all parts, and a standard commuter bike.

So how screwed am I?! Thinking I should just stop looking at this tread cos most people here are taking this pretty seriously and out to actually compete yeah? Where as I am just in it as a little personal challenge and to enjoy it. Well, as much as I can!

Thoughts? Anyone else taking this with a similar sized pinch of salt as I am??! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Irishrm wrote: »
    I know this has been asked before but I don't think there was an accurate reply posted but how long id the off road section of the cycle after the CP decent?

After descending Croagh Patrick you cycle back down the road you came up and take a left. I cycled for a couple of minutes on this rough trail on my road bike with normal (non puncture resistant) skinny tyres. Not being confident with the speed of my puncture repair skills I decided to hop off my bike and jog along with it for a bit (maybe 400m?). Others were cycling a lot further than I did. While still on the rough trail I got back on and cycled another short while before we hit normal road. Sorry I don't have accurate distances but in summary there's only a very small section of this offroad section that I *wouldn't* cycle on.

Irishrm wrote: »
    Thanks for that CKWPORT. I am planning on using a road bike and leaving the standard tyres I got with it on it. Do you suggest an upgrade to puncture resistant tyres? If the surface is so poor there may be no way of cycling a road bike up it anyways...

If it's not too much hassle to change to puncture resistant tyres I'd go for it. I wouldn't stress too much about it though if you can't. I did it in normal tyres last year and didn't have any trouble.
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    I have normal tyres too. They've been sound so far, hopefully will be sound on the day too, I dread getting a puncture. Its my biggest worry for the day.

Just last week a friend of mine showed me how to change a tube. Can't believe I haven't been able to (confidently) change a tube for years. You can be shown in about 10-15 minutes how to do it and become confident doing it. Shops normally charge 10-12 to buy and fit a new tube. Offer them 20 to teach you how! (if you don't have any cycling friends who can show you).

I was dreading a puncture last year but feel confident about it this year.

Guys, ploughing over old ground here but what is the view on runners V's bike shoes based on the current ground condition and outlook and the prospect of carry the shoes with additional changes etc ?
    I have asics Kayano , is it to late to try and purchase and break in a pair of hill/trek shoes, have ran the reek twice in the asic's,a slow and slippy decent but not sure a pair of XT's will help there .
    The more experienced hill runners would they take the "lose shale" path down?
    Not sure if now is the time to be concerned about these things.
    Personally having read advice from those who have done it in past I think bike shoes and trail shoes are the way to go.
    But you would be mad buying trail shoes now having not run in them before the race.
    mymojo wrote: »
    im in the same boat toomuchdetail...have only runners...no trail shoes etc??!!:confused: was gunna buy sum but think at this late stage may be bad idea?

I reckon you'll be fine in normal road runners. You'll sacrifice some grip so just take it easy on the descent of Croagh Patrick and the descent of the hill on the first run. Changing runners at this late stage would be a bad idea. Better to run in your road runners that you know fit you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Offer them 20 to teach you how! (if you don't have any cycling friends who can show you).

I was dreading a puncture last year but feel confident about it this year

Cheers GoHard, I know how to do it, I just hate doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

WithCheesePlease Ok, so I'm just wondering - is anyone as ill prepared as I am??!! Reading through this tread is freaking me out. So, here's the breakdown...

- Have run a bit - a few 5 mile, 10K, 10 mile races, and I use "races" very loosely, I was only there to finish. Oh, and all with a nice rest afterwards, never as part of any mutli event dealy-o.

- Have only cycled more than 5K once - yesterday! A panic "can I do it" 35 K cycle. Apart from that it's just been the leisurely 5K commute back and forth to work for the past 2 months or so. And I mean leisurely!

- Took a Sunday drive to the Sugar Loaf a few months back for a stroll up the path to the top with my girlfriend and a nice little sit down on the top - not anything like a hill run!

Oh, and I only have runners which I'll be wearing for all parts, and a standard commuter bike.

So how screwed am I?! Thinking I should just stop looking at this tread cos most people here are taking this pretty seriously and out to actually compete yeah? Where as I am just in it as a little personal challenge and to enjoy it. Well, as much as I can!

Thoughts? Anyone else taking this with a similar sized pinch of salt as I am??!

I presume, like myself you did not join up as an elite athlete?

And i presume, like myself you have no intention of winning this race or representing ireland in international multi event races?

Well then my attitude is just enjoy the day as much as possible, enjoy the scenary, views and people, say hi as they overtake you or words of encouragement to people you see stuggling...me..

but most of all remember you are one of only 2500 who will be abe to do this event this year!!!! Thats bragging rights for life!!!!

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

Ok, so I'm just wondering - is anyone as ill prepared as I am??!! Reading through this tread is freaking me out. So, here's the breakdown...

Thoughts? Anyone else taking this with a similar sized pinch of salt as I am??! :confused:

Cheese, you sound very much like me. my normal cycle is 5KM each way to work, longest I have run is 10K this year, have one recent 33KM cycle. I will be wearing runners and standard shorts, I have never been on/in a Kayak. This is also just a personal challenge for me.

Anyone got a tip which without laying out a load of dosh at this stage on shorts and appropriate underwear !!!! after my last 33KM cycle my ar**e was very sore :mad: whats best keep 'em tucked in or on the loose:o

Kayaking - not a problem. Very easy, very short, very stable boats all over in 10 minutes max.

The first run people will probably dash off. Let them. It's a reasonably long day you'll use your energy later in the day. The first run is going to take most people between 1h15 and 2h so I'd just start off at a jog, walk when it gets steep and jog again when it gets easy.

With the cycling just go into an easy gear and don't *mash* the pedals furiously in a hard gear. Just keep the legs spinning easily even when people are overtaking you.

With Croagh Patrick the majority of people will be walking up it. The top 20 or 30 will probably run it (out of 2500).

There'll be lots of people of all abilities so you'll probably be able to slot in with a group of people who are going at a similar pace to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    Anyone got a tip which without laying out a load of dosh at this stage on shorts and appropriate underwear !!!! after my last 33KM cycle my ar**e was very sore :mad: whats best keep 'em tucked in or on the loose:o

If you want shorts for the run and cycle buy triathlon shorts, enough padding to keep you comfy on the bike, and not hold you up on the run. Ill be wearing my tri suit for sure!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If you have a few 5/10 km runs under your belt and a few cycles it will help for sure. But depending on your category be aware that there are cut off times and you won't be allowed to climb the reek if you are not there by the cut off time.
    The main hill around Sheefry will sap your legs so I wouldn't if I was you attempt to cycle it. The cycle climb to The Reek will also sap so be well fueled before you hit these.

Ensure you understand the mandatory kit and have it with you in case you run into bother. Also if you don't have it for registration you won't be allowed participate.

There is a 5% chance that you wont finish based on last year out of the 714 who took part, 32 didn't finish.
    I hope I am not one of those 5% :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Kayaking - not a problem. Very easy, very short, very stable boats all over in 10 minutes max.

The first run people will probably dash off. Let them. It's a reasonably long day you'll use your energy later in the day. The first run is going to take most people between 1h15 and 2h so I'd just start off at a jog, walk when it gets steep and jog again when it gets easy.

With the cycling just go into an easy gear and don't *mash* the pedals furiously in a hard gear. Just keep the legs spinning easily even when people are overtaking you.

With Croagh Patrick the majority of people will be walking up it. The top 20 or 30 will probably run it (out of 2500).

There'll be lots of people of all abilities so you'll probably be able to slot in with a group of people who are going at a similar pace to you.

You shoulda posted that 4 months ago:mad: Perfect post:D

I'm carping it, I reckon I'm not gonna finish, I'll have the wrong gear, I'll def miss the bus, I'm not fit enough and will spend all of next week with sprained this and pulled that with a few breaks thrown in for good measure:(

Truth is I'll be fine, not gonna win it, hell I'n registered as a jogger (silent J:)) and I'll bet more than a few 'walkers' will finish before me. I'm nervous (no idea why) but in reality I'll be fine, I intend to have a great day and I'm on hols for 2 weeks after so BRING IT!!!

I'm registered as a jogger (silent J:))

Yogging - I'm not sure but I think you just run for an extended period of time!

You shoulda posted that 4 months ago:mad: Perfect post:D

I'm carping it, I reckon I'm not gonna finish, I'll have the wrong gear, I'll def miss the bus, I'm not fit enough and will spend all of next week with sprained this and pulled that with a few breaks thrown in for good measure:(

Truth is I'll be fine, not gonna win it, hell I'n registered as a jogger (silent J:)) and I'll bet more than a few 'walkers' will finish before me. I'm nervous (no idea why) but in reality I'll be fine, I intend to have a great day and I'm on hols for 2 weeks after so BRING IT!!!

LOL, good attitude to have. Good luck on Sat. :D

yop wrote: »
    ...depending on your category be aware that there are cut off times and you won't be allowed to climb the reek if you are not there by the cut off time.

Really??! I didn't realise that. Is that just before it gets dark? Or are you not allowed continue if other waves behind have started to pass? I'm registered as a runner btw - don't even get me started :mad:. Argued this with the others (hate people that start in the wrong pens at races only to hold the whole show up - I much prefer starting from the back and only passing people in one direction) but the others insisted on an early start. Stupid, I know but didn't want to do it on my todd. Ah well, too late to worry now.
    yop wrote: »
    There is a 5% chance that you wont finish based on last year out of the 714 who took part, 32 didn't finish.
    I hope I am not one of those 5% :D

Oh I'll be finishing it alright, even if it's on my hands and knees!! :pac:

What time is this cut off does anyone know?

Is it one cut off for everyone on the day or one per wave?

Hopefully its around the time I hope to sitting on a high stool in the Wagon Wheel bar at Westport House, having a much needed drink. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Just in case GFW isn't tough enough, it has been raining steadily here in the west for a long, long time (all my life when I think about it:(), and the ground is saturated, making for an even boggier boggy experience.

On the upside, the wind on Saturday is promised southerly, so we should have the wind to our backs for pretty much all of the cycle bar the last bit to Croagh Patrick. The day itself isn't promised too bad, showers mostly. I think I'll be bringing a change of socks however!

• Advertisement

ronanmac wrote: »
    Just in case GFW isn't tough enough, it has been raining steadily here in the west for a long, long time (all my life when I think about it:(), and the ground is saturated, making for an even boggier boggy experience.

On the upside, the wind on Saturday is promised southerly, so we should have the wind to our backs for pretty much all of the cycle bar the last bit to Croagh Patrick. The day itself isn't promised too bad, showers mostly. I think I'll be bringing a change of socks however!

Same as that Ronan, will be having 2 pairs of socks in the bag as the ground is very soggy and boggy at the minute and is not going to dry up.

Stupid Question:

When getting into the kayaks, do ye have to step into the water and push it out and hop in? or do you hop on from a raft or from land, i.e keeping the feet reasonably dry.

Cause if he have to step in and push the kayak out, the runners will be completely soaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

let the one you will be kayaking with push the kayak :D
    i reckon we will all be soaked but the pain in your ankles, knees, back head etc.... will make your forget about your wet socks and shoes. For me anyway:mad:

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Cause if he have to step in and push the kayak out, the runners will be completely soaked.

frazer.jpg

:D

ya let him get the feet soaked.

Ya they will be soaked from the run anyways, so screw it, step in pushing the kayak out, at least we will wash the muck off the runners.

We had a lesson down in Killary the last day, and they had a raft and they said "If your doing GaelForce, ye're gonna see this again" ...

I was hoping we'd hop from that into the Kayaks, sure I'll know by 10:30am on Saturday.

For what it's worth, if anyone else is in the same boat / kayak...

I was wondering what do do about shorts - bike vs. run... dun dun duuuunnnnn

Anyway, I've come up with a cunning plan. I'm going to go with my running shorts for the run. Then I have a pair of baggy padded-arse cycling shorts that I'm going to leave with my bike. When I get to the bike I'm going to throw these on over my running shorts for the cycle. I've tried these both together and they're grand. Then when I'm getting off the bike again leave the cycling shorts with the bike and travel on again in my short shorts. Happy days.

Ok, So I'm wondering about a pair of Merrell Intercept trainers I have - would these be better to wear than my asics I wonder? Have never tried wearing them for running before though, but they're well broken in...

I also have a pretty worn pair of these Merrell Chameleon trainers too. Really light and comfy, but again have never tried them running...

Should I chance one/both of them on a little training run tomorrow or would they both be non starters for running?

non starters for running?

Really bad choice of words there.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Ok, So I'm wondering about a pair of Merrell Intercept trainers I have - would these be better to wear than my asics I wonder? Have never tried wearing them for running before though, but they're well broken in...

I also have a pretty worn pair of these Merrell Chameleon trainers too. Really light and comfy, but again have never tried them running...

Should I chance one/both of them on a little training run tomorrow or would they both be non starters for running?

I'd recommend something with lots of grip, there is a very slippy grassy downhill section on the first run that is dicey without good grip and coming down Croagh Patrick is no fun without brakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Can any of these solomon,Chameleon,Merrils,rafts ,cleats etc cure an ulcer ! thought I was reasonably prepared but I have spent so much time looking at the posts and the kit I am forgeting the fitness is probably the best kit of all(not enough of that either).
    going with my trusted asics so i am sure that as I slide by you on my ass there will be grunts of "should have got xt's",also took bike shoes off and got a good pair of clips as I figure the 10/15 mins saved on bike would be lost in several shoe changes .Trusted Tri shorts and 2 pair od 1000 mile socks complete my kits.
    BTW Good value on Camelbak in Nigelcyclestore in Galway got the rouge model (2ltr and adequate storage for €55).
    Off in the green wave and was hoping for a 5.30 finish, now just hoping I can finish it without a guy in a peaked cap jumping on my chest and searching for a charge from his little machine .
    From the experience with any of you guys what would you add to a normal run cycle time to help gauge this i.e if you normally complete 7mile in 60 mins would you add a min a mile ?

Advertisement