Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

How'd did ye all get on?

I was in the back wave, and did in 6hr8mins. My 1st time doing it, and nothing prepares you for the reek is what I learnt.

Ran the runs too fast I think, and I had nothing on the bike at all, and I was in bits doing the reek. Great feeling though crossing that line to finish it.

Great day too, the weather was perfect, I pity the lads finish after 4 or 5pm, cause its started lashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Where did you get your time? I cound not be arsed waiting 20 mins and queueing up yet again for a time at the end. I could smell the burgers elsewhere...

What a cool event though. It was a lot harder than I expected and the climb up the reek was just agony. just lost all power in legs about 27k into the cycle. Was someone air lifted off the mountain. I seen the rescue helicopter taking off in Castlebar on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I was there today for a few minutes where the cycle joined the main road coming into Westport. Never saw so many people looking quite so knackered, but most seemed to manage a smile for the people cheering. Well done to everyone. Ye were lucky with the weather as well, I think ...

kerinsp wrote: »
    Where did you get your time? I cound not be arsed waiting 20 mins and queueing up yet again for a time at the end. I could smell the burgers elsewhere...

What a cool event though. It was a lot harder than I expected and the climb up the reek was just agony. just lost all power in legs about 27k into the cycle. Was someone air lifted off the mountain. I seen the rescue helicopter taking off in Castlebar on the way home.

Same as that, I not nothing left during the cycle, I didn't think I was going to able to do the reek, but slowly managed it, it was agony indeed.

I timed myself, no idea when the official times are out.

I got to the reek about 2pm, and there was a guy being brought down by mountain rescue, broken leg, dunno if he was airlifted, an ambulance came up to the base. Poor Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Delighted with the race itself. Dissapointed with the gael force crew. I felt it was better last year. At the end last year we had a print out of every section. There was no clocking at the top of the reek nor at the bikes. That was nice info. Also the queue for the times was futile as it wasn't accurate. It didn't take into account how long you were clocked out for at the kayaks. I was in the third wave. I saw the aftermath of 2 accidents. 1 was on the first bike section on the downhill. I heard some girl had a fall then. Also when i was going up the reek saw some guy being looked at by mountain rescue.
    My finial time was about 5hr 22, a 40 min improvement (guess, when I take out the time for kayak) - Link to my time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

over the moon i did it! Called my time as 8 hours did it in 6. 40. Could not believe it! Got to reek and honestly thought i could cry! Got half way up and thought forget this! Only complaint i had was there was only 2 massage people at the end for 2500 people! I was in the 7am wave. My heart went out to the later waves! The ground must have been seriously churned

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Sniipe wrote: »
    Delighted with the race itself. Dissapointed with the gael force crew. I felt it was better last year. At the end last year we had a print out of every section. There was no clocking at the top of the reek nor at the bikes. That was nice info. Also the queue for the times was futile as it wasn't accurate. It didn't take into account how long you were clocked out for at the kayaks. I was in the third wave. I saw the aftermath of 2 accidents. 1 was on the first bike section on the downhill. I heard some girl had a fall then. Also when i was going up the reek saw some guy being looked at by mountain rescue.
    My finial time was about 5hr 22, a 40 min improvement (guess, when I take out the time for kayak) - Link to my time

Well done!! Is that a for runner you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Yea, forerunner 305. Its cheaper and better than 405 (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭TurloughT

Ouch, ouch, ouch - (thats me today).

Are the results up anywhere? Does anyone have them in excel?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

I had to pull out, absolutely gutted started off so well, then my leg packed in before the kayak, by the time I got to bike transition I was in a terrible state, biked the course back to Westport as my legs would not have brought me down the reek. Was directed to see the physio soon as I got back, what a great service!! turned out Ive got itbs, great to find out, but terrrible timing. Next year I'll be back. What an amazing course!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Maverick74

Nothing can prepare you for that course. Sitting here wondering if i'll be able to get up when I've finished typing... There sure was alot of hills!! Like everybody else I could have cried when I got to the start of the Reek. My legs were like jelly and cramping up. Don't know how I managed to get up to the top but felt a whole lot better coming down!! Very happy today with myself as you all should be. WELL DONE to all.

Anyone know where or when results will be available... don't know what time I did it in as my stopwatch stopped working at 5:23:47 and I was near the bottom of the Reek.. You think they would have uploaded them onto website by now. How hard could it be>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Thought it was a great event, but it was absolutely vicious. Took me about 7 hours. Just had nothing left at all in the tank though when I got to the foot of Croagh Patrick. Definitely next year I'm gonna bring some hill walking poles for that section, maybe use cross country trainers too instead of runners. My favourite part had to be the off road section in stage 6, I was on a mountain bike so it was great to overtake all the racers carrying their bikes who had earlier overtaken me with ease! Think next time I might do it on a racer myself though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as most here the Reek was the killer. Got terrible cramps on the cycle so was on the road stretchin, gota puncture then to top it but the legs were gone and if it wasn't for my mate and other GF'ers and the encouragement I was near gone.

Next year will be a different setup. Get the training changed and carry less drink and food! :)

Well done to all who took part, regardless of whether u finished it or not.
    Shame the timings were not up. One tap at the bottom of the reek was not ideal but conditions were tough.

See you all next year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Tough but fantastic, I felt like crying after crossing the finishing line! Not sure of my exact time as it only dawned on me a few minutes into the kayak transition that I hadn't stopped the watch. I think 5 hours, two minutes, was about my final time but as I said, not sure. Much better than I anticipated, I think a nice even pace during the early running helped.

It was kind of daunting cycling towards the Reek at the end of the first cycle, feeling the strain in the quads and low in energy, and knowing what was about to come up! Plenty of scrapes, cuts and bruises to be seen, and a nasty-looking crash on the big descent on the first cycle.

And a big thanks to Enduro for all of his advice in this thread, it certainly helped me. If I wasn't so totally knackered, I would have said three decades of the rosary on top of Croagh Patrick for you:D

Looking forward to next year already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

1st GF, completed it in approx 5hrs so was happy with that, didn't really know what to expect so gave myself a target of 6 or under. Went out in the 1st wave, we were blessed with the weather, almost perfect conditions, even some sun in the early part of the morning.

The 1st half of the climb onto CP was torture, the part before the grassy bit joined the main path, very steep..found that tough, found the small 3km run quiet tough aswell for some reason

Cycle was not so bad, i was on a MTB but definitely a road bike event as alot of time can be made up, judging by the amount of roadbikes that passed me!!

Fantastic views on the morning running along killary harbour, beautiful part of the country, good way to spend a sat morning!..sore legs today though

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Enjoyable race and the reek was very tough indeed. But I wont be returning or recommending it. There are too many other better organised races out there in a very short season.

Registration and transition area was a fiasco and too few marshals especially on the bike descents.

Not surprised there were accidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Enjoyed my day completely. I would recommend it. My race report/comments which I will remind myself to look at for next year are...

On the drive down Delphi is further away than you think and badly signposted. Be prepared
    Registration was a joke. Wear bad shoes and trousers as you will get covered in mud
    The starting time is early... and starting that early might affect your morning ritual of... well you know... visiting the bathroom. Not a good way to start...
    Runners are not the right footwear. Most of the running is offroad. Wear something grippier (I slipped and fell a bunch of times)
    The hill/mountain/thing on the first run is brutal, so the suggestion that it is a 12k run will fool you...
    Towards the end of the first run you can see the kayaks... they are tricking you... the route takes you a very long way of getting to them.
    I suck at kayaking...
    Enjoy the second run. It is the easiest part of the race. Run hard as you may have a break while they look for your bike!!! (My bike was lost and took 5/7 minutes to find)
    Punctures will happen. Have an aerosol repair thing to hand (my bike was punctured when I picked it up at delphi. To tell you the truth... I was too tired to be angry... and glad of the excuse to stop for a few minutes!)
    The biggest part of the race is cycling on road, having a decent road bike is essential.
    There is a hidden bridge about 1km down the downhill bit. Crazy dangerous. I think I heard a girl was hurt there later in the day.
    The last 5 miles of the first cycle as you come up to the reek is the toughest. Have something in the tank for it.
    Bike parking at the reek is a joke.
    The first half of the climb up the reek is the toughest. Have something in the tank for it.
    Don't spend so long checking out clew bay... beautiful... yes... but during a race is not the time...
    Careful on the way down!!! Careful now!!! (I saw someone was quite hurt)
    Careful on the cycle from the reek to the off road bit. Quite dangerous with the amount of randomly parked bikes and tired people cycling/walking up. Road was too narrow for the amount of traffic.
    Off road section... I just don't know what to say... how much do you think of your bike. I heard a guy who was in the top 5 buckled his wheel on it!
    Final cycle... one of the best thrills ever!
    That first pint of Guinneas... sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

did gaelforce yesterday. first time for me too. i suppose with three times as many in it this year there had to be many many first timers.

i timed myself but not overly accurate, i think i made between 5hr 20 and 5hr 30. happy with that. was aiming for around 6hrs.

like everyone i thought the reek was sheer hell, i questioned my whole sense of being on the way up that little mound.

the people on the roadside cheering and clapping was a big boost i thought, fair play to them.

might chance i next year when the memory has faded a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

Delighted to finish GWF6 in under 6hrs, not sure of my exact time. Organisers are slow to publish results.

Like most people found the reek to be toughest part. Enjoyed the lift I got from the spectators. Disappointed with the rental bike crowd, they were badly prepared, both at registration and the day of the race. No pump, tube, cage or repair kit with the bike after been told they would be there. Lost 10mins plus after I got the bike while they sorted me out and even after that they had not pumps left.
    Will bring my own bike next year.

Other than that a great day and the the spirit amongst the competitors was fantastic. Cannot wait for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

@thebouldwhacker ... Well ???

• Advertisement

Kelter wrote: »
    Enjoyed my day completely. I would recommend it. My race report/comments which I will remind myself to look at for next year are...

On the drive down Delphi is further away than you think and badly signposted. Be prepared
    Registration was a joke. Wear bad shoes and trousers as you will get covered in mud
    The starting time is early... and starting that early might affect your morning ritual of... well you know... visiting the bathroom. Not a good way to start...
    Runners are not the right footwear. Most of the running is offroad. Wear something grippier (I slipped and fell a bunch of times)
    The hill/mountain/thing on the first run is brutal, so the suggestion that it is a 12k run will fool you...
    Towards the end of the first run you can see the kayaks... they are tricking you... the route takes you a very long way of getting to them.
    I suck at kayaking...
    Enjoy the second run. It is the easiest part of the race. Run hard as you may have a break while they look for your bike!!! (My bike was lost and took 5/7 minutes to find)
    Punctures will happen. Have an aerosol repair thing to hand (my bike was punctured when I picked it up at delphi. To tell you the truth... I was too tired to be angry... and glad of the excuse to stop for a few minutes!)
    The biggest part of the race is cycling on road, having a decent road bike is essential.
    There is a hidden bridge about 1km down the downhill bit. Crazy dangerous. I think I heard a girl was hurt there later in the day.
    The last 5 miles of the first cycle as you come up to the reek is the toughest. Have something in the tank for it.
    Bike parking at the reek is a joke.
    The first half of the climb up the reek is the toughest. Have something in the tank for it.
    Don't spend so long checking out clew bay... beautiful... yes... but during a race is not the time...
    Careful on the way down!!! Careful now!!! (I saw someone was quite hurt)
    Careful on the cycle from the reek to the off road bit. Quite dangerous with the amount of randomly parked bikes and tired people cycling/walking up. Road was too narrow for the amount of traffic.
    Off road section... I just don't know what to say... how much do you think of your bike. I heard a guy who was in the top 5 buckled his wheel on it!
    Final cycle... one of the best thrills ever!
    That first pint of Guinneas... sweet!

Well summed up.

I think looking at it will a little distance now there were too many people on the event. Perhaps if you were off in the first wave it would be different, but I started at 9.30 and spent the day in traffic. Most tough sections (run/cycle/climb) were thin, tight and overcrowded. Less participants = more enjoyable event.

Also, and I know I sound like a moany cyclist, that section 6 / trail cycle is crazy. A road race bike is the correct tool for the event so this section is just an annoying potential bike breaker stuck in because someone thinks they're being smart. A guy came off in front of me and forced me into a muddy ditch, brakes stopped working, we had to walk down blocking the track for mountain bikers having their moment of glory. Another girl ended up in the ditch beside me again trying to avoid walkers on a tight slippy track. I for one was delighted to see tarmac.

Last rant, why isn't there a proper timing mat at the start?

-Badly run, over subscribed.

+Beautiful country, great crowds, good banter between competitors.

Thank god it was on yesterday and not today!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

I had a great time yesterday - its really a beautiful part of the world and great course overall. I'm very proud to have completed it. Nonetheless I feel it is important to air some feedback to the organisers - hopefully they are tracking this thread!!!

1 - Registration - needs a major review. Why not post packs out to people with the timing chips. I'd be happy to cover the cost of postage rather than arsing around with people who hadn't any experience with similar events.

2 - Goodie bag was a joke - I would have preferred if I got nothing before the race but something unique at the end that was given to those who completed. At least then I would have felt you cared somewhat about the competitors.

3 - Safety - such a load of noise was made about the mandatory kit before the event and that it was for the safety of participants, yet there were massive safety issues on the course. Dangerous sections of the bike course should have been marshaled - e.g. the bridge on the bend after the first major descent. Or even better signage on sections of road that had potholes two feet wide and deep.

4 - Do not encourage the practice of hiring bikes - I was amazed at how many people hired bikes - and they were crap bikes. This doesn't happen in triathlons and to me GF6 is a more challenging and serious event. Its not a fun run.

5 - Transitions area at the reek - I know space was limited - but you should have known how the numbers were going to hit it. Anyway it was a significant safety issue allowing people to dump bikes on the cycle course side of transition. Why weren't they told to go the other side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

clopd wrote: »
    I had a great time yesterday - its really a beautiful part of the world and great course overall. I'm very proud to have completed it. Nonetheless I feel it is important to air some feedback to the organisers - hopefully they are tracking this thread!!!

1 - Registration - needs a major review. Why not post packs out to people with the timing chips. I'd be happy to cover the cost of postage rather than arsing around with people who hadn't any experience with similar events.

2 - Goodie bag was a joke - I would have preferred if I got nothing before the race but something unique at the end that was given to those who completed. At least then I would have felt you cared somewhat about the competitors.

3 - Safety - such a load of noise was made about the mandatory kit before the event and that it was for the safety of participants, yet there were massive safety issues on the course. Dangerous sections of the bike course should have been marshaled - e.g. the bridge on the bend after the first major descent. Or even better signage on sections of road that had potholes two feet wide and deep.

4 - Do not encourage the practice of hiring bikes - I was amazed at how many people hired bikes - and they were crap bikes. This doesn't happen in triathlons and to me GF6 is a more challenging and serious event. Its not a fun run.

5 - Transitions area at the reek - I know space was limited - but you should have known how the numbers were going to hit it. Anyway it was a significant safety issue allowing people to dump bikes on the cycle course side of transition. Why weren't they told to go the other side.

Agree with what you said. If we could get an email address I think its in the interest of us all to email these points.
    We DESERVED to be treated better after paying that amount. 212k euro and how much spent?????
    Not even a hot cuppa soup on the finish line.

Any other events similar or where we would even find out!!!
    I think our gang has "the bug" :)

roar.ie is possibly the next event

yop wrote: »
    Agree with what you said. If we could get an email address I think its in the interest of us all to email these points.
    We DESERVED to be treated better after paying that amount. 212k euro and how much spent?????
    Not even a hot cuppa soup on the finish line.

+1

We definitely should email them.

I really enjoyed the day, but the poor organisation took away from it.

I wouldn't do it again unless the organisers correct the mistakes that were made this year.

For example, my Dad was watching the race on the west road at the turn off for the coast road into Westport house. He was there for a few hours, and there was no marshal present while he was there (between 12 and 3) , and some people went straight in the west road, missing the turn, he had to call them back and direct them the correct way.

He had to direct a lot of people the correct way he said, otherwise they would have went wrong.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    +1

We definitely should email them.

I really enjoyed the day, but the poor organisation took away from it.

I wouldn't do it again unless the organisers correct the mistakes that were made this year.

For example, my Dad was watching the race on the west road at the turn off for the coast road into Westport house. He was there for a few hours, and there was no marshal present while he was there (between 12 and 3) , and some people went straight in the west road, missing the turn, he had to call them back and direct them the correct way.

He had to direct a lot of people the correct way he said, otherwise they would have went wrong.

Was that you in the Batman suit?

TurloughT wrote: »

No.:D

TurloughT wrote: »

LOL, speaking of Batman,did any spot Superman on the reek!!! I nearly pissd myself laughing when I spotted the cape heading up the reek!!

Ya I spotted Batman and Superman on my way down, they were on the way up. Batman was way ahead of Superman.

They finished at around 4 o clock, I was just leaving westport house and I heard BATMAN and SUPERMAN being roared down the mic. Fair play to them , those capes must have been a pain over the whole course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Superman couldn't keep up with Batman coz he had a chunk of kryptonite in his rucksack. It's true, it's true.

Advertisement