Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Only stopped saying never again this morning, great buzz around with the GF and the participants were super and the atmosphere was electric.
    I think most of the sentiments are similar about the experience yesterday, the positives were mainly what the orgainisors had no control over, location,backdrop,weather the sheer hell of the reek , everything else they seemed to touch left a lot to be desired.
    Now for the rant :
    The registration should have happened in Westport in a school gym ,leisure centre etc and after going to the expence and trouble we would have dropped our bikes to delphi anyway , The transition could have been solved with sectioned areas with large flags highlighted the wave color to help in the mess that was transition .
    Luckily I knew the area but bridges,bends potholes etc should have been flagged more clearly with large readable signs and not the small or non existent signs.The road off the dirt track on the last section is just too dangerous a condition for cycling .
    Agree on the west road marshals and also at the turn off for westport house , several guys were cycling on up the hill towards wesport and had to be turned back.The quay area was a mess, cars/vans/buses everywhere ...everyman for himself.
    This would work better as a 2 day event with these numbers ,runners/joggers/walkers day1 , elites day 2 or vice versa a simple box to predict times for a 12k run would help also with guys getting into their correct wave.

To sum up what the orgainsors seem to think of us the only updated link today on their site seems to be a link to offer to SELL photos of the event to us ,again you can see where the hearts are.
    I would have preferred no goody bag (that contained only flyers and only 1 sized T-shirt )and receive a sheltered tent with soup/rolls food etc at the finish even finding the stodgy pasta in itself was difficult.

Really enjoyed it though as it was my first, will not make the mistake next time and follow like a lemming and take the impossible route up the reek as the original path is much quicker.Great plans for a good night out came to a halt in Henaghans after the 3rd bout of calf cramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

I have to agree with previous comments, the organization wasn't the best.
    But what a great day !
    The last part of the cycling was the worst for me , actually walked the last mile or so, had to energy left.
    the best moment was when i was almost down from that little hill and turned back to look at it :D

Will do it again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

Agree with other posters about the shabby organisation, limited split timing, no water at the end of race, even a hose to wash down your legs, the "goodie bag", registration.

Does anyone know who won the race or do the organisers even know??

I had a great time but it's seems for the event management company it was all about the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Bloody greedy organisers!

To add, dissapointed with all the litter bugs. Shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tobar13

Just spoke to the organisers - they say the results will be up on the website by 5pm today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Home page now states:
    "Results of 2009 will be up by 5pm today, 24th August."

...so, if it's written, it must be true!!

Tobar13 - Did they give any other feedback??

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

I know organising 2500 people is not an easy task so I suppose we should give some credit for them getting the basics right.

that said, so much could be better and hopefully they take it into account.

- registration could have been spaced out more and streamlined
    - if that was a goodie pack, I 'd hate to see a baddy pack !
    - more space, racks and rack signage for bikes
    - big descent on the bike was dangerous
    - transition on the reek
    - the scalp or bike track, well I was on a road bike so I cursed it but I understand why it's there.
    - the finish line was a bit flat could have been better organised with a longer stretch and maybe crowds on both sides ?

I did a triathlon in ballina recently and I got a lovely long sleeve tshirt, showers, a rub down, times texted to me within the hour and a lovely salmon meal - all for 40 euro. I did another in Clogherhead a few weeks ago and got a lovely cycling jersey. You would have to wonder at the 85 euro price and no results until 2 days later.

Still though, a great day, the competitors are great, I had a good few chats at different times with lads - i'll be there next year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

richiemack wrote: »
    I had to pull out, absolutely gutted started off so well, then my leg packed in before the kayak, by the time I got to bike transition I was in a terrible state, biked the course back to Westport as my legs would not have brought me down the reek. Was directed to see the physio soon as I got back, what a great service!! turned out Ive got itbs, great to find out, but terrrible timing. Next year I'll be back. What an amazing course!!

I passed a lad with his right legs strapped at the ankle, wasn't u was it? In the black wave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Sniipe wrote: »
    To add, dissapointed with all the litter bugs. Shame on them.

Totally agree. What were people thinking dropping their bottles on the reek... I was disgusted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

TurloughT wrote: »
    Was that you in the Batman suit?

Batman really must have superhuman powers as he was also doing the Half Ironman in wexford yesturday:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tobar13

belcarra wrote: »
    Home page now states:
    "Results of 2009 will be up by 5pm today, 24th August."

...so, if it's written, it must be true!!

Tobar13 - Did they give any other feedback??

No other word belcarra. Just sit tight I guess...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Hi all, I was a Gael Force virgin too this weekend. F me. That last cycle up to Croagh Patrick was the killer alright. I have to say I really enjoyed it though and will be back next year. I thought the craic with fellow competitors was brilliant. I didn't come across anyone who seemed to be in it for 'The Race', everyone was up for the laugh regardless how much they were suffering, and christ did we all suffer. Plus everyone was very aware of people around them who needed some encouragement, or a kick up the a**e. A personal thanks to those people.

As someone who is new to this kind of event I can't compare to the organisation of other events but I have to say I was dissapointed at the lack of timing mats. Looking at the times for other years, it was great to see the 6 different stages broken down into the split times, and I really was looking forward to seeing where I lost and made up time. ( Although it took me nearly seven hours I know I'd be in the top few hundred people for the descent of Croagh Patrick, and you need these little boosters for your ego to get you g'd up for next year). I have to agree with the points about signage, I drove the cycle route last week so I had an idea what I was in for with the big downhill section, but I still got caught unawares as I took the bend with the bridge way too fast and nearly went over. A lot of money was generated for GaelForce, Westport & its business' (2300 people turned up, a lot of them stayed in Westport & surrounding areas and a lot of money was spent in pubs, restaurants etc, between them all a bit moer could be done for marshalling / signage)

All in all, I loved it, hello again to all who I met & thanks again for the encouragement - see you all next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

first ever time doing anything like this and loved it, however organisation left alot to be desired. To deal with 2500 runners is not a walk in the park - someone suggested holding it over two days which was a good idea.They should focus a little less on making money - if the event is a success and enjoyable for all, the money will come.
    • trying to sell tickets for 'concert' was a p!!stake. i hope no one went to it.
    • registration was like glastonbury. holding registration on a thursday is all well and good but for those working this is not an option. hire a hall/gaa club/delphi adventure centre with a hardstanding area - don't hold it in a marsh. Or else post stuff out in the post. I did pay about 85 to enter and a stamp costs about 55 cents! I was told to horse my bike against a railing, which was already abou 10 deep with other peoples bikes. I hung it on rack and luckily it held! I also resented being funnelled through a shop at the end of registration process!
    • bus to start line was fine, but maybe have a toilet on the bus as it took about an hour and a quarter to get there. 4 portaloos on the beach is a joke for that amount of people.
    • why the briefing and group start - pointless. you have your chip and should be allowed start as soon as you get dropped off at beach?
    • signage was poor throughout the race - an A4 piece of paper with an arrow in permanent marker flapping in the wind is a bit cheap. Some bends were dangerous too - i nearly killed myself on the long cycle descent with the car barrier on the left.
    • water stops were ok but 1 hose/ 1 tap at each station is again a bit stingy.
    • bike rack at croagh patrick was a mess.
    • stop pilgrims on race day???:) too many people racing on the mountain that day to have to deal with non racers?
    • terrain was almost too ridiculous in some stages, especially middle of the 12k run and the last "cycle".
    • goody bag was a t-shirt, a few compeeds and a few flyers selling stuff (again). nice touch. don't bother next time guys.
    • finish line in westport - tents way too small to huddle under. no food. had to buy a burger and a pint - someone said there was pasta but i guess i missed the sign! there should be massages/rub down area. there was a physio volunteers tent going through a warm down but at that stage i was too goosed to move.
    • Lessons learned for me - proper footwear (id buy trail runners), maybe get a telescopic skipole or something (or they should have them at base of croagh patrick if you want them), id know where to push myself and where to hold back.
    • you should have your result automatically texted to you immediatley after crossing finish line.
    anyway, i hope they take our comments on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

rjp123 wrote: »
    anyway, i hope they take our comments on board.

Have you emailed these comments to the organisers? Its valuable information that they may not be aware of (believe it or not).

This race has no real standard to live up too and it sounds like they are setting the bar lower and lower each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rurphy

Superman couldn't keep up with Batman coz he had a chunk of kryptonite in his rucksack. It's true, it's true.

AHEM!! Yes that was exactly the reason!! I was Superman for the day - my mate Ronan was Batman and yes he found going up a lot easier! Might have been something to do with the EPO in his Bat Utility Belt!

You were correct to say that in an vindictive move he placed Kryptonite in my rucksack - the things people do......

I'd love to say a big thanks to all who cheered us on! I thought the "why don't you just fly up!" comments heading up the Reek might have gotten irksome - but were suprisingly motivating!!

Lessons Learnt:

1. Don't wear a Superhero costume - the weight of expectation is too much!! I mean I really needed to vomit but imagine how many kid's lives woulda fallen apart at the sight of seeing a red-faced Superman projectile energy gels all over the Holy Mountain!?

2. Wellies for reg!

3. Prob go for lightweight but sturdy trail runners next time - you're gona get wet no matter what but coming down the Reek my feet were pounded in my Asics.

4. Chuffed with the decision of Moutain Bike with slicks - great on the road and we were able to fly past on the MTB stage. (Not sure I agree with people's opinions that this should be taken out - it's an adventure race! and the organisers clearly state that Road bikes may not handle it)

All in all, yes there were disappointing things, t-shirt, lack of time on finish, weather for after-party, but really ask yourself why we did it? For our own challenges - and if that's the reason, a crappy t-shirt doesn't matter!

Well done to everyone, hopefully our lack of dignity made some people smile (we also raised around €2,000) - maybe next year Clark Kent will make an apperance!

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

hey Superman, I was roaring at ya one stage, Did Batman beat you to the top in the end????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have you emailed these comments to the organisers? Its valuable information that they may not be aware of (believe it or not).

This race has no real standard to live up too and it sounds like they are setting the bar lower and lower each year.

This is what they should live up to:

"I did a triathlon in ballina recently and I got a lovely long sleeve tshirt, showers, a rub down, times texted to me within the hour and a lovely salmon meal - all for 40 euro. I did another in Clogherhead a few weeks ago and got a lovely cycling jersey. You would have to wonder at the 85 euro price and no results until 2 days later."

Listen I was delighted to do the event, I was delighted to have finished and delighted to have met some great people through my 7 hours of near breaking point.
    But I have to say it was a downer not to get something to say we did it. I forgot to start my watch after the 2nd run so I am guessing my timings.
    I appreciated the stewards were there, fair play to them. But still GF took on too much.

Maybe for next year they could do like the Achill roar and do a beginner and expert level. Still though I am sure like me there were a few people near to breaking point.

I presume we just email gaelforce or contact them!
    http://www.gaelforcewest.ie/contact

CKWPORT wrote: »
    hey Superman, I was roaring at ya one stage, Did Batman beat you to the top in the end????

Ha ha thanks! He had the legs on me on the way up alright - in a move of solidarity we walked side by side at the top! I totally beat him down though - I could fly you see........

Also apologies to all who got a wild flapping cape in the eye - blame the wind! ;)

LOL, u really should have wore it out in Heneghans, you would have had some laugh!!!

There was a guy in a mankeene (Sp!) and another lad in a big skirt, tights and pink belly top!!! Was hilarious!¬

yop wrote: »
    LOL, u really should have wore it out in Heneghans, you would have had some laugh!!!

There was a guy in a mankeene (Sp!) and another lad in a big skirt, tights and pink belly top!!! Was hilarious!¬

Was thinking about it - but the cape got a small bit of dirt on it :0

• Advertisement

rurphy wrote: »
    Was thinking about it - but the cape got a small bit of dirt on it :0

Stop, we will be wasting the muck and sh*T out of our clothes and runners, bags, jackets and bikes for months! :) Must say the wifey was terribly impressed with the 1/2 stone of bog I managed to carry home in my clothes!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

This is what they should live up to:

90% of the triathlons in the country are organised by Triathlon Ireland clubs and follow Triathlon Ireland standards. They generally try to outdo one another with the added extra's within the race but at a minimum the courses are safety checked and marshals/signage is in place. (Although i know some races have their issues, generally they are very well organised).

GF is not a triathlon and has no such "rules" to follow.

Organisers would appreciate feedback, good or bad and take it on board. That way when putting down the 85 bucks or more next year, we'll feel it'll be money well spent in putting on a good event.

Thanks for posting the contact link.

Feedback is right. I am sure its a learning curve on their part also. But from what I understand, things went a bit down hill on last year.
    It should have been a bit better. Taking in circa 212k euro is a lot of sponds, granted they had to pay for 68 bus trips, pay Westport house, pay the physio's, toilets etc.
    I don't know about the marshals, if they were paid or not.

Its great they organised it and I would hope to do it again next year but little carrots are great, a cuppa soup at the end, a piece of paper or a photo of you coming over the line would have left people content. :)

Still we did it anyway!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I'd hesitate to say I enjoyed Gale Force, but I am delighted I did it. Was a waaaaay way tougher than I thought it was going to be. And the reek took every last bit I had left out of me. Took me ages to get up and down. Was torture.

Agreed about getting onto the organisers and hope they take some of the suggestions on board for next year. My main gripes were...
    - not enough timing mats - would love to see more of a breakdown of my splits
    - registration - a boggy mess. And I also had to leave my bike against a fence and couldn't find it for ages at the transition the next day.
    - never knew about the pasta afterwards either. And there should have been more laid on afterwards too.
    - the after party - why did I buy a ticket in advance?! Didn't use it anyway with the rain. Did anyone go?

You really would wonder where your money went. Apart from into someones back pocket.

All in all though most of what made Gael Force great was nothing to do with the organisation - it was the views, your fellow competitors and the sense of achievement after completing it. Nothing stopping someone organising a rival event using the same route, charging less and organising it a little better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

The pasta meal was a styrofoam cup of the most insipid, overboiled pasta I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. A few traces of red "stuff" were dribbled here and there. Not a meal! It was almost "anti-flavour" as it tasted of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I agree about the pasta, they spilled in a pot of pepper that's it i think for flavour. And maybe one tomato per 500 portions. Not exactly one of you 5 a day.

Was talking to someone from mountain rescue, he said he met loads of people throwing up coz all they'd eaten for the day was energy gels. My stomach felt dodge on the way up the reek but made it thankfully. Way better to have a banana or bar or something. Drinking plenty is the main thing i think.

There's flip all point killing yourself for the sake of a few minutes unless you're one of the serious elites.

Also it wouldn't kill Gaelforce organisers to donate a few bob to mountain rescue who were volunteers on the day. That kinda service wouldn't come cheap if they'd to pay for it.

Anyone else go the wrong way on the second running stage? I thought it strange that the trail had us hopping a fence into what appeared to be a back garden. When the old man started waving a stick at us we realised we were lost. In fairness he could have been a lot thicker about it. He told us that the race shouldn't be going through his land, we were supposed to go further up the hill around his site, but after some quick apologies he let us on through. He must have been at this all day though as I was in the second last wave and there was a well trodden track through his garden by the time I got there and a lot of people were coming behind me in the same direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Looking back after finishing now.
    Glad I did it, even with the minor irritations.
    Agree with most of the above, organisation could have been better, maybe too steep a learning curve from 700ish to 2500. Definitely needed more marshalls and know a guy who was in the top 10 who missed the left turn entering Westport.
    From a competitor point of view, people should have known what they were letting themselves in for, even on a nice flat course this would have been a challenge not to mind, bogs, country roads and CP in the middle!
    The hill in the middle of the run was an eye opener for CP but enjoyed it. Grew up on roads like this so the cycle was fun, did it on a road bike with touring tyres and was able to take the downhill flat out.
    Didn't like so many people on CP, especially with kids, was more nervous of them than myself heading back down.
    The two way cycle section was dodgy, had a guy pull out in front of me on the two way section as I was coming down at speed, no comment on his stupidity! Hit shoulders but could have been a lot worse.
    The offroad section was irritating but enjoyable too, made it through without having to walk so guess it's all part of the fun, makes the kit choice all the tougher, do i go mountain bike and slower or roadie and quick with the chance of walking and the rest.
    So, hope it's on next year again, some of the suggestions to improve it here are great so hope they take it on board for next year.

'Was talking to someone from mountain rescue, he said he met loads of people throwing up coz all they'd eaten for the day was energy gels. My stomach felt dodge on the way up the reek but made it thankfully. Way better to have a banana or bar or something. Drinking plenty is the main thing i think. '

I have to agree about the dodgy stomach. By the time I got to CP I was sick to the teeth of gels and energy drinks. I was beat but my stomach was in bits, I just couldn't handle anymore of those gels, if I tried one more I'm sure I would have left it behind me in a trail up CP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I think it would've been helpful, if they'd included a section on cycling etiquette. I'd one IDIOT over take me twice and then slow down immediately afterwards so I almost rear ended him.

Stupid and dangerous behaviour.

Advertisement