Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    'Was talking to someone from mountain rescue, he said he met loads of people throwing up coz all they'd eaten for the day was energy gels. My stomach felt dodge on the way up the reek but made it thankfully. Way better to have a banana or bar or something. Drinking plenty is the main thing i think. '

I have to agree about the dodgy stomach. By the time I got to CP I was sick to the teeth of gels and energy drinks. I was beat but my stomach was in bits, I just couldn't handle anymore of those gels, if I tried one more I'm sure I would have left it behind me in a trail up CP

That's just figuring out what you can cope with as well though. I took gels all the way round but only because I can't cope with solid food at all if I'm running, cycling a bit but not that great. Everyone is different.

Though I did feel like every tooth in my head was rotted after the race. :)

With regard to the littering, I think that a collection point at maybe where the back route meet the main path up would've been good. People obviously wanted to make an effort to keep the mountain clean but were just so tired and maybe wanted to keep their hands free and so ditched the bottles. I came across several points where there was small collections of ten or twelve bottles where people wanted to try and be as neat as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

Really enjoyed Saturday and will have great memories of my first GaelForce but...................
    I have to agree with nearly everything said here about the poor organisation. The goody bag was insulting to be honest, I think it set the tone for the weekend and just demonstrated that the organisers priority was to make as much money as possible with the minimal possible outlay. The messy registration process, the lack of marshals, lack of toilet facilities, lack of water, bikes lining the road at the base of the reek, and that pasta, that awful bloody pasta.
    Having said all that, what a beautiful setting for the challenge and what a challenge it was. I think one of the previous posters best summed it up when he said the only positives were the ones the organisers had no control over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

So heres my 2 cents.

First time doing GF6 and i loved it. Finished in 5 25 i think and im still suffering big time but wouldnt change it for the world.

So now for the complaints:

Registration was a joke
    Not enough bike racks
    Crap goodie bag
    The sence that i was getting ripped off to race on public roads
    Poor Transistion areas
    The 2 way road on the cycle section up/down the reak. Very Dangerous.

So what did i like?

I loved the off road section on the 1st run.
    Loved the 1st cycle section. If people think that it was too dangerous on the descent then they were going too fast.
    The reek was torture but what a challenge. Legs burning all the way up.
    The off road section on the 2nd cycle stage was my favourate part. I know some people are saying it was too dangerous but its an adventure race and not a triathlon, off road sections are what make this race special. This section was highlighted to everyone before the race so people can have no complaints. Everyone had the option of walking it anyway.

All in all i loved it and will be back next year but not if they increase the numbers again, not if they increase the price and only if they make an obvious effort the organise it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donal_mcg

I have to agree with most of what's being said here with regard to the "organisation" of this years event. I love the route and the challenge but things have to be addressed or I will not be back, neither some mates who have done it 3 times now.
    This was my 2nd GF6 and the drop in standards from last year is pretty near incredible, the lack of personnel involved was the most startling for me, there seemed to be 5 people involved to do everything, and pretty badly at that. Registration was a joke, a bike rack collapsed while I was there and no-one seemed to care. The cynical way they were trying to extort more money from competitors was the worst part for me. Not only have we paid to participate, but there is also the fact that everyone there will give at least 200 euro and more per head into the town over the weekend, and get nothing in return.
    Just have a look at the Achill Roar website, discount accomodation offered, discount into nightclubs and links for all you need. This for 40euro per head. If they can do it...

One thing I disagree with here is the amount of posters complaining about the Cycle Stage 2. Folks, its an Adventure Race, not a Triathlon so its part and parcel of the day. How you face it is part of the challenge. I enjoy it and like the fact its there.
    Now off to email the GF crew to let off some steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭trentv

I was a first timer, and never even done a triathlon before so very happy with sub 5 hours result (my own time keeping).
    However I want to echo the sentiments of most here about the organisation, mostly in the hope that the organisers will be made aware of this thread and be aware of how many agree.
    To add a gripe, a friend of a friend was told at the kit check section of registration that his trousers weren't windproof enough and that he would need to buy some in the shop next door. At this stage he was worried if he started arguing/didn't comply he wouldn't be racing the next day so he went and bought them (100e for top and bottoms) only to compare them when he got home and see that they were almost identical material to what he already had. I was fearful that this would be happening when they said there would be a rat-race shop at registration and very disapointed when my fears were realised and it was clear there was another motive for there insisting on mandatory kit.
    I hope that people who have issues with the organisation of the event will stay away from the race next year unless these problems are fixed so that the organisers will see they cannot take advantage of us and continue to make their money.
    Well done everyone and thanks to the people of Westport for putting up with us! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭poskantor

I agree with the general sentiment about the poor organisation. Although I could get over the fact that the goodie bag was more of a bag of junk mail than having any 'goodies' of note, that the registration and bike transition was a complete joke, that the pasta was terrible (if you could in fact locate it in the first place!), and that there should have been more timing mats, but what was not on was the fact that they clearly put profit over peoples safety. For a start the sign posting should have been much better, I mean come on, buy bigger signs. I stayed on course during the race but I can definitely see how a lot of people didn’t. The main thing they need to improve on is the number of stewards. I’ve done a few triathlons and almost without fail on the bike course there’ll be steward coming up to a dangerous section who’ll tell you its coming and another steward nearer the bend telling you to slow down etc, this is basis safety stuff and they could easily have gotten it right if they’d hired more stewards. As it happens they didn’t and as a result a lot of people crashed, I saw two myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Well said Donal. I'm a first timer and I loved the 2nd bike stage, was able to stay in the saddle for 95% of it. Someone mentioned earlier that it should be excluded from the race but its all part and parcel of this type of event. Gaelf Force is advertised as an adventure race, if people don't like off road they shouldn't go for this type of race.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Regarding course signage, everyone has a map so use it, navigation skills are part of adventure racing.

Safety is another issue, but competitors must realise they are in a natural enviroment, every hole and loose piece of rock can't be marked, competitors must use their own awareness. I competed last year and the year before and I saw some cyclist going far to fast on the off-road section on unsuitable bikes, if they crashed or buckled it was their fault, they should know the risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

I took part in the Gael Force West this last week end, and I thought it would be good to get a post race discussion going on……

Things I liked:
    _organisers managed well the logistics
    _transportation went well
    _my wave started on time
    _course and transition areas were well marked
    _Views from Croagh Patrick are great (for the few seconds I spent sight seeing)!
    _it didn’t rain while I was on the course!

Things I didn’t like:
    _registration area was flooded
    _goody bag was poor (cheap t-shirt, a bunch of brochures and that’s it)
    _cycling course was too easy and boring
    _recuperation area was poorly organised (I missed the free pasta)

All-in-all I didn’t experience the usual racing atmosphere I get from most adventure races; it felt more like I was taking part in a well organised, and expensive (€75 registration fee), tourist attraction.
    Will I be back next year? I don't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

donal_mcg wrote: »
    One thing I disagree with here is the amount of posters complaining about the Cycle Stage 2. Folks, its an Adventure Race, not a Triathlon so its part and parcel of the day. How you face it is part of the challenge. I enjoy it and like the fact its there.
    Now off to email the GF crew to let off some steam.

I definitely think the off-road section on the second cycle should not be removed. This is one of the main areas of tactics and for anyone who has complaints about the suitability well then maybe they should stick to other events.

And, by the way, I was using a racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭poskantor

Regarding course signage, everyone has a map so use it, navigation skills are part of adventure racing.

Safety is another issue, but competitors must realise they are in a natural enviroment, every hole and loose piece of rock can't be marked, competitors must use their own awareness. I competed last year and the year before and I saw some cyclist going far to fast on the off-road section on unsuitable bikes, if they crashed or buckled it was their fault, they should know the risks.

I disagree. This is fine for people who are experienced cyclists, who know how to handle bikes in the wet etc but considering that alot of people wouldnt have been used to those types of conditions I think the organisers had a duty of care to at least tell them there was a dangerous section ahead

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

poskantor wrote: »
    I disagree. This is fine for people who are experienced cyclists, who know how to handle bikes in the wet etc but considering that alot of people wouldnt have been used to those types of conditions I think the organisers had a duty of care to at least tell them there was a dangerous section ahead

I wouldnt agree with you on that sorry, this is an adventure race, people should have done some ground work to find out about what the course was like. I am sure it stated it on the GF website.
    Its part of the fun doing that, you have to carry it about 2 or 3km, if your on a road bike and try to cycle it, either you are well experienced or brave! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fuzzball.

Great event with fantastic competitors - was very cheesed off with the mountain bikers zooming past me on the offroad bit but I caught them again - all part of the fun. Need to do far more hill running for next year and very glad that I didn’t do the Eireman instead.

What is the story with the mandatory kit?

I mean, I had all the kit (nice and shiny), had it checked at the registration, slogged it around the course only to see other people zooming past me on CP with no backpack or bumbag!!!

A friend of mine saw the same thing and he overheard a marshal at the CP transition saying that the backpack was recommended but not mandatory.

Safely is obviously paramount, so what was the point of carrying all that gear on the run and cycle, only for it to be left with the bike while you tackled the most likely place that you might need it?

Definitely a money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Just had an idea, there should be a mat at the start so that you could start your race when you got there. Also every bus should have a tape or cd player and all announcements should be made on that. This would mean less crowding at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Was the pasta really that bad??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Was the pasta really that bad??

Yes, really!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Our bus had the radio on, the last song on the radio before we got off was the song No Air from Jordin Sparks "Tell me how I can't breathe with no air" :) Ironic for us for the day ahead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I hung around the finish area and was very impressed with the folk finishing in the lashing rain after many hours. It got emotional at times:)

For all it's growing pains (pun intended) Gael Force appears to have touched a chord and definitely fills a void for folk who are over the analness of triathlons and want to try something a bit different. The overwhelming majority of entrants don't give a rat's arse about racing and are all about the journey and the challenge of finishing.

(blatant plug) the Achill ROAR is on in 3 weeks and promises most of the good parts of Gael Force without the logistical nightmare of 2000 entrants (blatant plug over)

I am all about the racing though and for me it was a pity that the ambitious sorts were separated into different waves. The other thing I'd change (for elites) is the timeout at the kayak. There should be no timeout for elites and they should all start together. Then it's a back to basics head to head race. The first man home wins - easy!

Croagh Patrick is the heart, soul and guts of this race. Everything up to here is just about delivering you to the mountain either softened up or still cramp free and unless you puncture the final short cycle home won't really change anything.

The first 15 to the kayak in wave 1 were all kit checked, one dude had nothing with him, nada... He had his number taken and was given out to, dunno if he stopped though.

Peterx wrote: »
    I hung around the finish area and was very impressed with the folk finishing in the lashing rain after many hours. It got emotional at times:)

For all it's growing pains (pun intended) Gael Force appears to have touched a chord and definitely fills a void for folk who are over the analness of triathlons and want to try something a bit different. The overwhelming majority of entrants don't give a rat's arse about racing and are all about the journey and the challenge of finishing.

(blatant plug) the Achill ROAR is on in 3 weeks and promises most of the good parts of Gael Force without the logistical nightmare of 2000 entrants (blatant plug over)

I am all about the racing though and for me it was a pity that the ambitious sorts were separated into different waves. The other thing I'd change (for elites) is the timeout at the kayak. There should be no timeout for elites and they should all start together. Then it's a back to basics head to head race. The first man home wins - easy!

Croagh Patrick is the heart, soul and guts of this race. Everything up to here is just about delivering you to the mountain either softened up or still cramp free and unless you puncture the final short cycle home won't really change anything.

Can we ask how you did Peter?

Any idea why a some of us might have cramped badly on the cycle? I know about 5 or 6 others who cramped on the start of the cycle even though we were used to cycling! :) From your own experience! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

To sum up what the orgainsors seem to think of us the only updated link today on their site seems to be a link to offer to SELL photos of the event to us ,again you can see where the hearts are.

Completely agree - but did you notice they've changed the text now??!! An image there now with "Photos will be available for download on Wednesday!"

I wonder are they already looking at this thread!...

looks very good, mite try it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

Without the mucky parts GF would not be what it is so they must keep the first couple of kilometers after CP. It is only dangerous if you go too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Actually looks brilliant. And reasonable too!! Well worth a completely blatant plug in its own thread me thinks!

The cramping is tough, my calves went horribly the first year and the second year. The bog running sucks the life out of your legs and the sweating for hours leeching the salts and minerals from your system.

NUUN tablets or dioralyle sachets are both very good, as is pacing yourself for the first two hours. Practicing transitioning from hillrunning to biking and back really helps with the shock of changing and a couple of savage training sessions a couple of weeks before can be helpful too.

I find the more of these things I do the more and more relaxed I am mentally, that really helps as you subsequently less rigid and more flowy on the move. Basically, keep it up!

Gael Force is a great introductory race into adventure racing, there are other more technical races but GF deserves credit for taking 2000 folk into the hills. It also deserves criticism for taking 2000 people into the hills but it's a hard balancing act.

I won which was only mighty:)
    Paul Mahon had a stormer to finish 3rd just 38 seconds back on Ruairdhe Gerraty (spl) with Mary Lavery (more spl) winning the ladies. I talked to Padraig Marrey after the race and he was annoyed to be in wave 2 although in saying that both the lads who finished 2nd and 3rd were in wave two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

Signed up for the roar race.
    Hopefully the pain in my legs will be gone by then !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elacon

did gaelforce for the first time the weekend ,and was just delighted to complete the course, would have been nice to get a medal at the end instead of the crap goodie bag , i also ruined a pair of sandals and got my favourite jeans filthy at registation , a girly complaint i know but they were the only jeans i packed for the weekend. 4 portaloos at the start was a joke , about 20 of us watched as the rest of our wave ran off into the distance while we queued for the loo. having said all that i really enjoyed the day mostly for the element of fun with all the muck and dirt and hardship and for the sense of achievement ,having lost 6 and a half stone in the last 2 years it felt amazing to do something like this . ill be back neat year to improve my time , hopefully the organizers will care more about the competitors than the cash next year.

The cramping is tough, my calves went horribly the first year and the second year. The bog running sucks the life out of your legs and the sweating for hours leeching the salts and minerals from your system.

NUUN tablets or dioralyle sachets are both very good, as is pacing yourself for the first two hours. Practicing transitioning from hillrunning to biking and back really helps with the shock of changing and a couple of savage training sessions a couple of weeks before can be helpful too.

I find the more of these things I do the more and more relaxed I am mentally, that really helps as you subsequently less rigid and more flowy on the move. Basically, keep it up!

Gael Force is a great introductory race into adventure racing, there are other more technical races but GF deserves credit for taking 2000 folk into the hills. It also deserves criticism for taking 2000 people into the hills but it's a hard balancing act.

Paul Mahon had a stormer to finish 3rd just 38 seconds back on Ruairdhe Gerraty (spl) with Mary Lavery (more spl) winning the ladies. I talked to Padraig Marrey after the race and he was annoyed to be in wave 2 although in saying that both the lads who finished 2nd and 3rd were in wave two.

Thanks Peter and well done, I was only about 3.5 hours after you!! :) What time did it take you?

Funny you mention the NuuN tablets, I drank lucozade Sport for the 2 runs and most of the cycle. EVentually I ran out and put NuuN tablet in my water and the cramps seemed to easy off!" So maybe that was the key! Stick with water and NuuN and not lucozade! :)

Congratulations Peterx, how did the other person on boards do, Enduro?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 djpm

yop wrote: »

Funny you mention the NuuN tablets, I drank lucozade Sport for the 2 runs and most of the cycle. EVentually I ran out and put NuuN tablet in my water and the cramps seemed to easy off!" So maybe that was the key! Stick with water and NuuN and not lucozade! :)

I had Nuun tablets in my water bottles, left them on the bike to climb the reek, came back down and the water/nuun solution in one of the bottles had been replaced by just water - a miracle?!!!

Advertisement