Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

djpm wrote: »
    I had Nuun tablets in my water bottles, left them on the bike to climb the reek, came back down and the water/nuun solution in one of the bottles had been replaced by just water - a miracle?!!!

Somebody nicked your water???

Thats low...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

djpm wrote: »
    I had Nuun tablets in my water bottles, left them on the bike to climb the reek, came back down and the water/nuun solution in one of the bottles had been replaced by just water - a miracle?!!!

So someone stole them? !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Hah, that Enduro fella was so scared of a rematch he went off to some 7 day adventure race in America. The lengths some lads will go to!

I jest of course....last heard of they were in the top ten so more kudos are no doubt due if and when he returns to da net.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

lol, I was following them alright. Finished 9th from what I can see but the checkpoints/penalities are a bit difficult to decipher so don't hold me to that placing. Photo's are absolutely amazing though and it looks like a very slick operation. Can you imagine how good the finish line pizza's tasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭poskantor

lol, I was following them alright. Finished 9th from what I can see but the checkpoints/penalities are a bit difficult to decipher so don't hold me to that placing. Photo's are absolutely amazing though and it looks like a very slick operation. Can you imagine how good the finish line pizza's tasted!

What race was that? Sounds interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 djpm

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Somebody nicked your water???

Thats low...

Don't know WTF happened, but I was very confused, to add to the misery, pain, and general torment after coming down the mountain. Felt like I was there 40 days and nights myself.

Well done Peter, 3 outta 4 aint bad! (And of course a GF12)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

poskantor wrote: »
    What race was that? Sounds interesting!
    Primal Quest
    http://www.ecoprimalquest.com/wp-primal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Peterx wrote: »
    For all it's growing pains (pun intended) Gael Force appears to have touched a chord and definitely fills a void for folk who are over the analness of triathlons and want to try something a bit different. The overwhelming majority of entrants don't give a rat's arse about racing and are all about the journey and the challenge of finishing.

agree with this comment, ok, they had issues with the organisation and hopefully they will take these on board and address them, i do agree with the majority of the complaints being raised aswell and it seems to be the same things experienced by everyone, and are easily fixed with a bit more thought and investment.

But it has opened many people up to a new sport, me included, having never done anything like this and you can see from the comments people are now eager to do more of these, so that can only be a good thing for this type of sport as you can be competitive or you can just go to complete it, even completing it is an achievement in itself for anyone so not to sound like a cliche but there are no losers when you look at it that way, you can always say, ok i came last but i still got through 65km on my own power through hills / bogs / mountains / cycling, no small task so i think with the negatives being highlighted, there are more positives from something like this in my opinion.

I really enjoyed it once i got going, and would now look to do more events like this, it's not like a marathon or a run race where you are doing the same thing for 26 miles, your mind is constantly occupied due to different events, there's lovely scenry to distract you, you can have a bit of banter with fellow competitors which kills time, so hopefully more of these will take off as from the general comments from people who have done it, they would do it again, and prob do more, so race organisers, there's a market there that can be addressed.

fuzzball. wrote: »
    What is the story with the mandatory kit?

I mean, I had all the kit (nice and shiny), had it checked at the registration, slogged it around the course only to see other people zooming past me on CP with no backpack or bumbag!!!

A friend of mine saw the same thing and he overheard a marshal at the CP transition saying that the backpack was recommended but not mandatory.

that was one thing i noticed too that did annoy me, seeing people on the reek with no backpacks..seen people dropping them off aswell just before the very steep grass part..i seen some back packs left on the bikes at the transition area aswell so marshalls must have seen them going over the matts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

You pretty much summed it up exactly there GForcer1.

Results and times should be up in about 5 minutes - I wonder will the organisers let us down again!... I'm refreshing the screen like a lunatic every few minutes here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

It's after 5 and no results. What a surprise!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Results by 5 my fanny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Had a great time along the course although at one point I felt like crying. Fantastic event, stunning scenery, great atmosphere on the course and an incredible buzz crossing the finishing line.

I reckon I did it in around 5 hours 40mins or so. The cycle section was a disaster for me, just didn't train hard enough. Suffered all day on the bike.

I loved the first running section, the scenery was other wordly. Wouldn't mind going back and just walking the section.

Re: The goodie bag? I didn't train all summer for a goodie bag, I trained to complete the challenge. Couldn't care less what was in or out of the goodie bag. I paid 85 euro to run the race.

Re poor signage? It's an adventure race, you should be prepared for sharp corners etc. I mean what do people want? It's a remote location which would be spoiled with obvious signs such as 'slow down sharp corner.' I could tell you before the race that people would crash, **** happens.

The registration was a massive pain in the arse however but the marshals did their best. The weather didn't help.

Very disappointed to see bottles left on the reek. I'd like to think people dropped them by accident but the sheer quantity says otherwise.

Great day, delighted with myself

I am expecting the results to be wrong anyways.

A lot of people that queued at westport house to get their times, said they were way out compared to what they timed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Re: The goodie bag? I didn't train all summer for a goodie bag, I trained to complete the challenge. Couldn't care less what was in or out of the goodie bag. I paid 85 euro to run the race.

You could run the race yourself for free any weekend. I was only wondering where the €85 (x 2500) actually went.

And still no results up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

The pasta meal was a styrofoam cup of the most insipid, overboiled pasta I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. A few traces of red "stuff" were dribbled here and there. Not a meal! It was almost "anti-flavour" as it tasted of nothing.

It was the worst! You don't expect much from an after race meal (although Wicklow Triathlon's Beast of the East burger and salad was fantastic) but that was miserable. And they ran out! If I was out on the course for 7 or 8 hours I would seriously need some carbs!

Later on I managed to get some cash and buy a lamb burger from a guy who has an organic restaurant somewhere nearby.

BEST BURGER EVER! Gourmet Burger restaurants can just forget it!

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I am expecting the results to be wrong anyways.

A lot of people that queued at westport house to get their times, said they were way out compared to what they timed themselves.

I assume that's because the kayak time-out wasn't subtracted? Hope so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

results are up

In fairness to the organisers, they said the results were inaccurate when the left the results on the table. I think that's why they didn't officially release them.

Withcheese: That's a silly argument. Sure I can run any event for free, be it the Dublin Marathon, Triathy etc.

I thought 85 was very reasonable for a race that lasted 14 hours long, provided kayaks, marshals etc. Sure other places might give you better t-shirts etc but they're bonuses.

• Advertisement

My results were spot on, 6.08.56.

Was hoping for under six, and it was looking like it too, but the reek killed me, 1.34 on the reek, It felt like a lot longer tbh.

I hung around the finish area and was very impressed with the folk finishing in the lashing rain after many hours. It got emotional at times:)

For all it's growing pains (pun intended) Gael Force appears to have touched a chord and definitely fills a void for folk who are over the analness of triathlons and want to try something a bit different. The overwhelming majority of entrants don't give a rat's arse about racing and are all about the journey and the challenge of finishing.

(blatant plug) the Achill ROAR is on in 3 weeks and promises most of the good parts of Gael Force without the logistical nightmare of 2000 entrants (blatant plug over)

I am all about the racing though and for me it was a pity that the ambitious sorts were separated into different waves. The other thing I'd change (for elites) is the timeout at the kayak. There should be no timeout for elites and they should all start together. Then it's a back to basics head to head race. The first man home wins - easy!

Croagh Patrick is the heart, soul and guts of this race. Everything up to here is just about delivering you to the mountain either softened up or still cramp free and unless you puncture the final short cycle home won't really change anything.

You'd know better than most people Peter but I presume they introduced the timeout at the kayak transition because of a dearth of kayaks?

I agree with the idea of dispensing with the timeouts for elites. I wouldn't be elite but I would like to be in the first wave of 300 people! Then you know who you're racing against. If people like Jason Reid, Paul Mahon and Ruaidhri Geraghty were in Wave 1 then they could have tried to keep up with you!

Also if you spend 15-20 minutes resting in the kayak transition you're going to be in a better position than racing through in 60 seconds!

First man home is the winner! No analysis or mathematics required.

Ahem... sorry. First man OR woman home!

The first 15 to the kayak in wave 1 were all kit checked, one dude had nothing with him, nada... He had his number taken and was given out to, dunno if he stopped though.

I raced into transition. Four guys ahead of me were asked for random pieces of kit: windproof trousers, rain jacket, energy food etc. I was asked for my first aid kit. I was quite glad to see them taking it seriously. I was none too pleased to see guys running up and down Croagh Patrick without the kit.

Mine appear to be spot on too.

GForcer1 wrote: »
    that was one thing i noticed too that did annoy me, seeing people on the reek with no backpacks..seen people dropping them off aswell just before the very steep grass part..i seen some back packs left on the bikes at the transition area aswell so marshalls must have seen them going over the matts

Grrrrr! :mad:

In fairness to the marshals I think quite a few of them volunteered very late in the day so I can't fault them at all. It can't be fun to have irritable/stressed people giving out to them when they're giving up their free time.

There probably should have been some paid organisers to lead the volunteers.

is stage 2 a combination of kayak + 3km run + cycle to CP?

GForcer1 wrote: »
    is stage 2 a combination of kayak + 3km run + cycle to CP?

Yes

Ya its looks like stage 2 is a combo of all those parts.

Anyone the last 2 names on the page, that have DQ against their names?

Does that mean they were disqualified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Love to know what the lads were DQ'd for!??

My kayak timeout time is way off :mad: Hope they sort this out. I need to know if I dipped under my target time cos think I was just a few seconds either side of it!

Advertisement