Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Let me say starting off I loved the event, the setting is amazing and the linear nature of the course makes it very special. Of course what makes it special adds to the logistical difficulties. Events based around a single transition area are easier to marshall and organise.

Also I was very impressed by camaraderie of the other people during the event. I was plauged with cramp on the Reek and everyone who passed was checking if I was OK. I asked one guy to take a bar out of my backpack and he insisted on giving me one his when he couldn't spot it.

The only thing I would say is why do people have to litter the countryside while racing. I drove the route of the cycle to CP on Sunday and the fields were lined with gel wrappers and Sports drink bottles.

Registration was fine for me except for the bog I had to put my bike in, but that was 11am Thursday. We did have to hang around for 2 hrs as one of our group was waiting for the bike hire guy to show up. When he did show up the bike was nothing like the one on the website (Giant FCR) but a cheap piece of crap with a rack, full mudguards and a stand. Someone in an earlier post asked why anyone would hire a bike, well this guy flew in from Germany to do the race so bringing his own bike was difficult. 2 miles into the cycle the saddle fell off the bike and he had to cycle back to delphi for a replacement. All in all Bike Hire was a disaster.

During the race everything went fine, I had a map, there was always someone to follow. Please please don't take out the off road cycle, as for signposting potholes give me a break it is an adventure race. It would be great if we could have the reek to ourselves for the day but I guess that isn't possible.

Buzz in the town that night was fantastic, will I be back again maybe / maybe not but I don't regret a second or even a Euro of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Well done peter, you legend.. the lance armstrong of the adventure racing circuit, sure havent you won it now 4 times?

It was my first EVER race of any kind, so am tickled pink with my 6 hrs 15.. unlike everyone else, found the reek the easiest bit. Got a 2nd wind. I found the cycle to be MURDEROUS and thought id never get off the bike

Bitten by the bug BIG time now, just signed up for the Achilll Roooooooooooooooooarrrrrrrrrrr, bring it on

Adventure racing is the new black:D:D:D:D:D
    Well done for everyone who took part.. apart from Detail events, what a disgrace. 2 days to get your times, come on.. it should be live. Registration? enough said. Rude people employed by detail events shouting at you during reg and kayak changeover? i didnt sign up to that! And the goodie bag? **** sake.. dont bother next time.

Seriously though, the comraderie around the circuit more than made up for it.. never met so many cool people in my life- and everyone was so helpful to each other, twould warm the cockles of the heart to see it!

roll on GFW 2010!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

jayzbrady wrote: »
    Photos are up! Go to sleepmonsters.com, then go to photos. There's a bar along the left hand side of the screen. Gaelforce is listed there. Browse to your heart's content!
    OMFG, 8.75 for a digital print. These guys know how to pack a punch!
    Was going to buy the photos of me and the G/F but at a price of 78.75 I don't think I'll be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Well done peter, you legend.. the lance armstrong of the adventure racing circuit, sure havent you won it now 4 times?

It was my first EVER race of any kind, so am tickled pink with my 6 hrs 15.. unlike everyone else, found the reek the easiest bit. Got a 2nd wind. I found the cycle to be MURDEROUS and thought id never get off the bike

Bitten by the bug BIG time now, just signed up for the Achilll Roooooooooooooooooarrrrrrrrrrr, bring it on

Adventure racing is the new black:D:D:D:D:D

Peter/Lance has 3 wins from 4 runnings of the event. Some langer got lucky last year :D Peter is undoubtedly the King of this event.

Good to see the enthusiasm for Adventure Racing. Hopefully you will all continue on into the more standard adventure races, such as the fabulous Causeway Coast series, which are team based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 djpm

Sniipe wrote: »
    OMFG, 8.75 for a digital print. These guys know how to pack a punch!
    Was going to buy the photos of me and the G/F but at a price of 78.75 I don't think I'll be doing that.

I've seen €20 plus per image for events on the continent, it's not too bad. Bought one myself, it's actually a great pic. Pick the best one of each of ye, 17 quid, or if they're shyte don't bother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

K so... I've had a few days to think of this post and here goes...

Rip off.

The geography was fantastic but that can not be credited to the organisers.

The stewards pretty much did their job, I got let down 3 times by 3 individuals, no need to get into specifics suffice to say one of them stopped me to tell me to continue (plonker) another two laughed at me when I told them I was outa food (why?) and needed some, one more let some of us run past him the wrong way (twat) only to be stopped and set right by a passer by.
    I have taken part in similar events and also stewarded and found some of them great and others, enough to say my day would have been better if they hadn't turned up at all.

The registration was a joke, the whole thing, the medical form was taken off me uncompleted, the gear check? got through that with only half my stuff, the goodies pack..... a t shirt which is too small for me is of such a crap design I will not be wearing it and a bag of adds, or spam as another poster described it.

The start, spent 25 mins waiting on the bus, freezing, before we left WP. Ended up waiting an age for the off once we got off the bus, spent the time warming up etc but god, what an anticlimax of a start... yawn........

Kayak: wtf over 20 mins waiting for a kayak???? my legs were starting to stiffen up, my run mate went into cramp, we nearly got taken out of it by the killary catamaran (does anyone else think is was irresponsible by the organisers?), I'd have preferred to have brought my own kayak, though the farce that was the bike transition shows that if people were to bring their own someone would have drowned.

Bike: joke. The night before I made my objections know at registration about me letting my bike in a bunch against the fence in the mud. The stuart promised that it would get racked and it did but I took a vid when I arrived to pick up my bike there were bikes thrown everywhere f***ed in the mud. This alone made me want to ask for my money back.
    I enjoyed the cycle course itself, I love the Mayo mountains...

The Reek: I arrived starving, I had given away some of my food to people bonking as the race went on. I was looking forward to the stop at the bottom of the reek and refueling, I was told that all the food was gone! as you can imagine I was not too happy. FFS the course didnt even pass a shop, stall or an apple tree (how much was registration again??)

The finish: I have absolutely noting to say about this, anticlimax is what it was. nothing there but annoying music and stuards that didnt know what was going on. We left as soon as we could, bemused as a stward stopped my running mate and asked them to match the bike number with their number, as the rain had washed the sticker off the bike this could not be done so he just sai well I guess your in the race so its ok. lol, at least the guy was trying, this was the first time we were challenge, at any of the bike stops we could have picked up any bike we wanted to, joke....

Over all gael force is a profit making event for private investors. I bought a product and I was far from happy with what I received for my money. As mentioned I have been involved in such events and for such a fee the entrants should have received more. I for one will not be supporting this enterprise again. I usually stick to charity/club events and I intend to return to this. I loved the course but tbh I can go to westport next weekend and do the exact same course in the same way (apart from not being shouted at for 20 minuted while waiting for a kayak as I'd bring my own). I can not see any value for money. If any of ye feel I am being unfair participate in something like the ring of kerry cycle, that will show you how an event should be run while raising thousands for charity rather than paying some one €80 or so to run a course you can do any day of the year... without having to put up with their muddy ques

In short, I love such events but I'm not gonna be doing this one again or any event organised by them, there are many great events through out the country which collect money for great causes, I'm happy to pass on gf and support these.

Bould whacker, I hope you've sent on those sentiments to the organisers? They are all very valid, very valid indeed.

That girl at the kayak interchange (or at least the one that was there at 11.30 at any rate) was SO rude, i see you aluded to it as well- she did nothing but SHOUT AND ROAR for half an hour, it was incredibly demoralising and annoying.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder where my €85eur went, apart from lining the pockets of Detail events of course.

Are people providing feedback to them, or what's the story? Is there an email address or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

What annoys me though is that there will no doubt be a rush of people signing up for this again next year and nothing will have to have changed and the organisers will no doubt have another big pay day for themselves. Because the course really is fairly breath taking, the camaraderie as you go is great and the feeling having completed the course is pretty damn good too. And I'd really love to give this another lash next year. But it would pain me to line the pockets of the organisers again.

But GF really has whetted my appetite to adventure racing and as thebouldwhacker said there are so many more of these types of events all around the country so I think I'll be looking into those...

I really do hope the organisers of GF get their act together for next year though and actually spend some of the registration money on the competitors that have paid it and not just take us for suckers.

And yes, I have sent my feedback to the organisers, as I hope everyone else is doing - http://www.gaelforcewest.ie/contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

What annoys me though is that there will no doubt be a rush of people signing up for this again next year and nothing will have to have changed and the organisers will no doubt have another big pay day for themselves. [/url].

I was thinking of doing it next year (1st time) but all these negative comments and reviews have changed my mind. Myself and a few friends will be seeking out better run events to participate in.

K so... I've had a few days to think of this post and here goes...

Rip off. - It is dear

The geography was fantastic but that can not be credited to the organisers. - Well, they did set the course

The stewards pretty much did their job, I got let down 3 times by 3 individuals, no need to get into specifics suffice to say one of them stopped me to tell me to continue (plonker) another two laughed at me when I told them I was outa food (why?) and needed some, one more let some of us run past him the wrong way (twat) only to be stopped and set right by a passer by.
    I have taken part in similar events and also stewarded and found some of them great and others, enough to say my day would have been better if they hadn't turned up at all.
    - Aside from the Detail Events crew, stewards were all volunteers who gave up their day to help us, for the princely fee of a hang sangwich and a tee shirt. Some were better than others, as always happens.

The registration was a joke, the whole thing, the medical form was taken off me uncompleted, the gear check? got through that with only half my stuff, the goodies pack..... a t shirt which is too small for me is of such a crap design I will not be wearing it and a bag of adds, or spam as another poster described it. - I got to registration earlier so had no problems, obviously people traveling and arriving late had some problems. It's a bit rich you complaining that they didn't find out that you didn't have all the gear. As somebody else said being funnelled through the shop was a bit ridiculous. Goodie bag not so goodie.

The start, spent 25 mins waiting on the bus, freezing, before we left WP. Ended up waiting an age for the off once we got off the bus, spent the time warming up etc but god, what an anticlimax of a start... yawn........ - Not really sure what you expected...

Kayak: wtf over 20 mins waiting for a kayak???? my legs were starting to stiffen up, my run mate went into cramp, we nearly got taken out of it by the killary catamaran (does anyone else think is was irresponsible by the organisers?), I'd have preferred to have brought my own kayak, though the farce that was the bike transition shows that if people were to bring their own someone would have drowned. - Was wondering if people had to wait for kayaks, obviously you did. In fairness, they could only bring so many...

Bike: joke. The night before I made my objections know at registration about me letting my bike in a bunch against the fence in the mud. The stuart promised that it would get racked and it did but I took a vid when I arrived to pick up my bike there were bikes thrown everywhere f***ed in the mud. This alone made me want to ask for my money back.
    I enjoyed the cycle course itself, I love the Mayo mountains...
    - No argument there. The mud was unfortunate but there had been an awful lot of rain, that field is probably dry now.

The Reek: I arrived starving, I had given away some of my food to people bonking as the race went on. I was looking forward to the stop at the bottom of the reek and refueling, I was told that all the food was gone! as you can imagine I was not too happy. FFS the course didnt even pass a shop, stall or an apple tree (how much was registration again??) - I'm not aware that we were ever told there was going to food anywhere on the course. It was unfortunate for you that you had generously given away your bars to others, they should have brought enough themselves. As for no shop... I'll get somebody to build a 7-11 on the side of Sheefrey for next year!

The finish: I have absolutely noting to say about this, anticlimax is what it was. nothing there but annoying music and stuards that didnt know what was going on. We left as soon as we could, bemused as a stward stopped my running mate and asked them to match the bike number with their number, as the rain had washed the sticker off the bike this could not be done so he just sai well I guess your in the race so its ok. lol, at least the guy was trying, this was the first time we were challenge, at any of the bike stops we could have picked up any bike we wanted to, joke.... - I'm sure they can hire a security guard for each bike next year. Seriously, I think it's great that they were checking numbers, there was a big risk of theft there at WH particularly. Finish was a bit flat and after party was a farce. Serious rethinking required.

Over all gael force is a profit making event for private investors. I bought a product and I was far from happy with what I received for my money. As mentioned I have been involved in such events and for such a fee the entrants should have received more. I for one will not be supporting this enterprise again. I usually stick to charity/club events and I intend to return to this. I loved the course but tbh I can go to westport next weekend and do the exact same course in the same way (apart from not being shouted at for 20 minuted while waiting for a kayak as I'd bring my own). I can not see any value for money. If any of ye feel I am being unfair participate in something like the ring of kerry cycle, that will show you how an event should be run while raising thousands for charity rather than paying some one €80 or so to run a course you can do any day of the year... without having to put up with their muddy ques

In short, I love such events but I'm not gonna be doing this one again or any event organised by them, there are many great events through out the country which collect money for great causes, I'm happy to pass on gf and support these.

- Overall I think you're being a bit harsh Whacker. There were a lot of problems resulting from the jump in numbers, I don't think they can increase numbers again next year, at least until they solve these issues, and maybe cap it altogether at 2000 or 2500.

Comments on Bouldwhackers post entered above inside quote.

Going for 5 in a row next year...

• Advertisement

Redbhoy wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing it next year (1st time) but all these negative comments and reviews have changed my mind. Myself and a few friends will be seeking out better run events to participate in.

What, like Eireman? Apparently there were huge problems, marshalls sending 40 or 50 top runners in half ironman the wrong way (on shorter course) and then sending everybody else the right way, runners and cyclists crossing paths at transition, delayed starts, swim unfortunately cancelled (due to weather), etc etc. Hope they survive and get it right for next year, it should be a great event.

There are a lot of issues Gaelforce organisers need to sort out, and I'm confident it will be a lot better next year. Some people have contacted them directly, and they'll be reading here. They know what they have to do... I think people have to take a balanced view, and calm down a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Over 2000 people entered, from speaking to people after the event, they had a great time.

This is getting ridiculous.

Whacker complaining about no food and the fact that an adventure race didn't go by a shop. Are you serious or just trolling? :lol

Whacker admitted that he didn't bring the mandatory kit and then complains that he wasn't caught? If he did get injured, he'd be relying on ppl who bothered to bring the kit.

Part of the problem seems to be that as most people are first time entrants into adventure races, they have unrealistic expectactions and apparently high comfort levels, and expect to be spoon fed around the course.

It's supposed to be tough. The organisers clearly said there would be no food available on the course. The 'food' at CP, consisted of a couple of figrolls. If you arrived starving at CP, that's your own fault for being unprepared.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A little rumour I heard this morning was that Mayo Mountain Rescue are recommending that GF remove the The Reek section from next years even. This is due to the damage caused to the surrounding area, the new paths created through the heather etc.
    Also the amount of rubbish which was dumped on the reek and surrounds was very bad and that some participants were not fit enough to have attempted the stage and put themselves and others in danger.

Will be interesting to see what happens IF their recommendation is heeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Over 2000 people entered, from speaking to people after the event, they had a great time.
    I imagine that people who were happy with it, are less inclined to come on here and shout about it. So, maybe it's not balanced that way.

But a lot of the complaints sound reasonable enough, and it depends where you were in the field, whether you experienced them. Am I right in thinking that the event has doubled in size every year? So, there were about 1000 in it last year? Will there be 4000 next year? It sounds like it can cope with about 1000. But the profit motive makes it hard to stick to limits like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

djpm wrote: »
    Overall I think you're being a bit harsh Whacker. There were a lot of problems resulting from the jump in numbers

But isn't that the point?

That they got greedy and hiked up the numbers without due care and consideration for the participants.

Nobody held a gun to their head and told them that they HAD TO have 2500 competitors.

yop wrote: »
    A little rumour I heard this morning was that Mayo Mountain Rescue are recommending that GF remove the The Reek section from next years even. This is due to the damage caused to the surrounding area, the new paths created through the heather etc.
    Also the amount of rubbish which was dumped on the reek and surrounds was very bad and that some participants were not fit enough to have attempted the stage and put themselves and others in danger.

Will be interesting to see what happens IF their recommendation is heeded.

Aw that would be a REAL pity.. CP is the heart and soul of it..

I can totally see where they are coming from though- the amt of lucozade sport bottles on the mountain was just sinful. What kind of knacker litters like that?

Another thing that a lot of people were moaning about was the fact that there were walkers in teh Elite section- now that is just BAD MANNERS on behalf of participants- walkers should have more race protocol and cop on that to register as elites.. imo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Aw that would be a REAL pity.. CP is the heart and soul of it..

I can totally see where they are coming from though- the amt of lucozade sport bottles on the mountain was just sinful. What kind of knacker litters like that?

Another thing that a lot of people were moaning about was the fact that there were walkers in teh Elite section- now that is just BAD MANNERS on behalf of participants- walkers should have more race protocol and cop on that to register as elites.. imo.

It was bad, but was the litter any worse than Reek Sunday? I can't tell you that myself.
    IF there were walkers in as elites well they are nothing short of been d*cks. What in the name of God is their logic for that?

What they could do is for the CP stage is limit it to only either Elites only or Elites and runners.
    It would be unfair on the rest of the categories but it might ease the issues.

yop wrote: »
    What they could do is for the CP stage is limit it to only either Elites only or Elites and runners.
    It would be unfair on the rest of the categories but it might ease the issues.

I was thinking something similar, give walkers and joggers a different course. Probably lead to other issues though!

djpm wrote: »
    I was thinking something similar, give walkers and joggers a different course. Probably lead to other issues though!

Like everyone registering as elites! :) Would never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

They should probably split it over two days if they are gonna have 2000 or more entrants.

Elites and Runners on Day 1, and Joggers and Walkers on Day 2. More work for the organisers though, They will just do the same again I am sure with larger numbers.

EDIT: And shame on those that ditched their bottles & gel/bar wrappers on the reek, FFS, its not a lot of trouble to put an empty bottle in your bag or a bar wrapper in your pocket till you get to the finish.

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    EDIT: And shame on those that ditched their bottles & gel/bar wrappers on the reek, FFS, its not a lot of trouble to put an empty bottle in your bag or a bar wrapper in your pocket till you get to the finish.

That's true for the whole course, was terrible. Empty bottles, sachets and wrappers were littered all along the roads and trails. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

CKWPORT wrote: »
    And shame on those that ditched their bottles & gel/bar wrappers on the reek, FFS, its not a lot of trouble to put an empty bottle in your bag or a bar wrapper in your pocket till you get to the finish.

Here here!

Can someone tell me what an 'Elite' is?

Redbhoy wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what an 'Elite' is?

Somewan fasht!

My understanding (and hopefully peter will be online soon to tell us more) of an elite is someone who would be on course to do GF in < 5 hours.. or someone who regularly runs marathons in <4 hrs.

But i guess it's a grey area..

but come on, walkers in the elite section? Those people clearly just wanted to get out early before the muck, and finish earlier.. I'm a jogger and signed up as a jogger. That's the way it should be.

I've done CP on reek sunday twice, and never remember seeing any litter at ALL. I was shocked by the amt of it.. dirty dirty people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ya, I think you go in the Elites, if you are competitive and want to race it, and are obviously super fit and doing this craic all the time.

Walkers in the Elites, thats a good one, I asked a guy on the reek as I was heading up how he was, as he looked wrecked and was struggling big time, at the start of the zig zag. He said he got the 5:30 bus & started at 7:00, that puts him in the elite wave. I started in the 5th wave, so for an Elite, 6hrs to the reek aint great. I couldn't figure why he enter Elites.

I spotted him again on my way down, not much further from where I met him on the way up with his head in his hands. Tbh I felt sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Most of the quick people were supposed to go in the first few waves and most of the slow people in the last few waves but in reality as particular waves filled up fast folk ended up in later waves and some walkers ended up in the earlier waves.
    As mentioned earlier, the fastest lads were unfortunately split between the first 2 waves.
    Plenty for the organisers to tweak but it appears that many many entrants had expectations of a triathlon event and were disgruntled when a non-navigation adventure race appeared in front of them.
    It should be mandatory to use the zig zag path, this contains the erosion and massively increases the chances of an injured runner being found and helped quickly.
    I realise it increases congestion on that path but unless someone* goes to the trouble of building another zig zag path near the existing one we've little choice.

someone*
    Anyone other then me usually...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

This is my take on the day and I have to say that initially I hadn’t actually researched the map too deeply, really just glanced over it. I knew there was a beach section and it would get a little wet in some parts, and that was grand.
    When we all lined up at the start point I thought to myself, “this isn’t too bad, 100 or so metres and we’re on the road, happy days” So off I trotted up onto the road. No problems at all. Have to admit that I was worried a little by the amount of downhill in that first stage because I knew there would be an up hill, and also the increased risk of injury from down hill running, and also my pace had increased beyond what i had planned. Not to worry though, the scenery is nice. Must remember to look about and take it all in.
    Then I look ahead and I see a bit of a queue forming, whats this all about I think. OMSMODGWTF is going on with that hill. Okay, we’re going up it. It wasn’t easy was it. Between slipping, sliding and trying to keep up a good pace, it was interesting. Someone made a comment about it being a taster for Crough Patrick, internally I cursed and smiled. Reached the top and started down. Talk about a slide. Did I mention the slide had Rocks and Drops in it. Not bad though, much easier on the way down in one way. Nearly at the bottom, back on road soon I think. Hadn’t quiet figured on the mud river, that was fun.
    As I made my way along what seemed more like a queue then a race I decided that sticking to the sides maybe wasn’t the smartest option, time to go up the middle. One step in. I’m thinking “where is my knee gone???” Step two, “time to lunge outa here” and I’m back on the side again. Things start to spread out a little here and I pass the stragglers from the previous wave. Then back onto the road. My shoes are filled with water and mud, not to worry though. As the run goies on I catch sight of the kayaks, then turn right, and up and around before getting to the transition area.
    When I arrived there was quiet a queue built up. Time to catch my breath. There was a Steward there who directed me to the correct queue, on my and her left, yet she kept saying “Stay to the right hand side.” All the time pointing to the left
    I’m guessing she had being doing this for quite a while and thought better then to try and point out whole left right thing, I’m sure on some level it made sense. A lad came in after me and joined me in the queue. Think he was from Cork, said he was rounding off the GAA season with GFW, fair play I said. The humour at the Transition was good and everyone was chatting away. The Kayaking was possibly the easiest of all the sections. It was the Cork lads first time in a kayak, I made the mistake of sitting in the back. Wet pants! It was a funny crossing as the banter was good. Think we managed to ram the same boat twice at the start and nearly at the finish. Not sure how long the crossing took, but no one passed us and we managed to pass quite a few, except for the lads we rammed of course. Set off on the a long long 3.5k run through marsh and brush and mud. That really was a bit of an energy sapper. When I got to the bike transition I was a little annoyed I have to admit to see lads, in full view of marshals getting changed and eating from there parked up cars and vans. I planned carefully what I could carry and took on board all the warnings about not stashing food along the route or accepting food or water from spectators. That aside, I got to my bike, gave it a quick once over and walked with it out to where I could mount it. It was at this point I ate an energy bar. It tasted great.
    I know the bar looked like a regular power bar, but I think this one was made with the finest Swiss Chocolate, and fruit hand picked and selected – just for this bar. You get the jest. It was nice. So Off I started. The benefit of a road bike over a mountain bike were immediately seen. I’m fairly new to bikes but I was passing people all over the place. The biking seemed like a good break from the running and I settled into a good steady pace. Forgot to reset my bike computer until about 3k in. After another 6k I started chatting to a lad who didn’t seem to be coping too well at all. He was convinced that there was only about 5k left. Not sure if he made it at all.

At one point I got cramps. It’s the first time I’ve ever experienced them on a bike, in both legs at the same time. It wasn’t pleasant, but sure what could I do? If I got off the bike I’d only be walking around like a ballerina doing swan lake, so I carried on, had to laugh. I’ve seen throughout the thread a lot of people complaining about the steep downhill section. I have to say that I enjoyed it, there were bits when I let loose, but mostly gripped the brakes as tightly as I could, did my best to avoid pot holes, loose gravel, wet grass in the middle and all the rest and managed to survive it – must check the computer to see what speed I reached on that section. There were points when I had to get off the bike as I was unable to carry on uphill, but they were few and far between. When I got to the Transition for Crough Patrick I was surprised to see all the bikes at the side of the road. It was a complete mess and disorganised. I rode up to the entry point and was told there was a place on the rack for my bike, Happy days I thought, so I parked up. Used this point to refill my bottles and water down the remainder of the lucuzade sport. (Hadn’t realised how strong it tasted)

As I started up the reek I passed a number of discarded fig roll packets, half full. I guess if you were in one of the earlier waves you had the option of refuelling. But I saw nothing more than a girl sitting on a table with a roll of paper cups near the tap – The tap which was the water point. Poor effort there. Anyway. Like a lemming I followed the crowd ahead of me and started walking directly towards the top of the reek. I should have taken the Zig zag route as the way I went was a total energy drain. When I reached the pathway I was amazed by the views and used this opportunity to take a few snap shots. Then off up I carried on. The reek sure was crazy. Everyone was encouraging everyone else and there was a great feeling of “lets get through this” – what did it for me was when I was really out of energy when I saw a woman coming back down with her kid, she must have been about 5 or 6, and I thought to myself, “What on Earth am I complaining about. If that Kid can do it and keep on smiling then so can I” so I down an energy gel and carried on. Also passing the Farmer in his Sunday best 3 piece suit also fired me on too! When I got to the top I made a few phone calls and decided to eat the banana I’d been saving. Turns out I had killed it. The banana that is. Ah well, you can’t have everything in life. The views were great up there, and then, before I knew it, it was time to come back down again. descending was a lot easier, I’d say coming down took about 25 to 30 minutes, maybe less. Again refilled my bottles and got back on the bike.
    Flying along, then the left turn, rocks. Quickly hop off the bike, this was that secion that had been talked about. I have to say it was a lot worse than I had thought it was going to be. I hoped up on the bikle a few times. Cycled where I could. Ran where I couldn’t. Got back out onto the road, a little bit of a downward slope, nice one I think as I build up a bit of speed. I pass an ambulance treating a lad in the back, he doesn’t look too comfortable, I pass his bike maybe 50 metres later. If ever there was a reminder to be careful at this stage, that was it. Hit out onto the main road, and all the energy that had been drained though out the day has returned. The last section and I have bags of fuel left in the bag, so I crank up the gears and speed up. I start passing a good few people and it’s all going great. There were a few people out waving and cheering on, I nod and carry on. I pull into Westport house and I’m told there is a little section to run. As I park the bike up I wonder how my legs will react to running again. Turns out quiet well and it all happens in automatic. Over the line. Finished. I’m an empty shell. I have no energy. Rob is there. He comes over and we shake hands. Other then Rob there it would have been a hollow finish to be honest. Rob told me about the Pasta which I was thankful of. All in all a great days adventure.

But there are a few things that were downers.
    1/ The months before the start, there seemed to be no involvement from the organisers.
    2/ I mailed the organisers regarding a matter and received no response.
    3/ Each email from the organisers left me feeling like I had just been spammed.
    4/ The registration was a farce. – Queuing up how many times!! That drove me nuts, although I didn’t get to drive very far due to the traffic jams and muddy conditions.
    5/ The lack of a timing mat at the start. – Did they run out or just decide to save a few quid?
    6/ The Goodie bag. Spammed again. The T-Shirt, fair enough, it’s a t-shirt. Fairly standard. But they have big name sponsors, or at least they should, so from what it could have been to what it was, was as big a gap as Croagh Patrick
    7/ The lack of anything to say you finished it. This is my first event of this kind, a big thing for me. Anything would have been better than nothing.

That being said, all the things that I complain about are superficial. Points 1 to 3 – maybe I was just expecting too much, it’s only all about the day after all. Point 4 – Registration had to be done, and it had to be done where you dropped your bike. Point 5 – Maybe there was one?? Point 6 – No Goodie bag would have actually been better. Point 7 - It would have been nice.

Some people moaned that the organisers made a lot of money out of the event. To that I’d say – well, that’s their job. But I would say that perhaps they should employ someone to handle the niceties that usually go with these events.
    It was all being said a great day and a great event. I’ll be back next year, hoping to knock an hour off of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

I have to say i had only one major gripe before reading all before me. I was disgusted by all the wrappers and bottles on the course i'm a avid outdoorsman i regualrly hike the hills and i'm a firm believer in leaving it as you found it, clean and beautiful, we all appreciated how awesome the scenery was and yet so many people chose to run the course and ruin the event.

It was my first time at an adventure race and i loved the challenge of completing it, i was doing it for charity and it was one close to my heart sadly i got injured with a month to go and couldnt train at all in the month leading up to the event so i was starting from scratch and felt it. I spend most of my day on a bike and was expecting that to be my best section but my god did the cramps hit me hardm I got off my bike to help a fellow competitor who couldnt change a tube....surely this should be a pre requisite anyway as soon as i got back on the bike i cramped up every muscle in both legs jsut froze hard, and it didnt stop until i hit the hotel after it all, it turned out to be alot of hours of pain but i was happy with myself for finishing it as i think alot of people were.

as for the organisers all the posts above kinda made me realise what was happening. the registration was a disaster and needs to be improved, as for the staff i found them mostly not all to be fair, rude and unappreciatave of what we were doing. there were alot of things that need to be improved little things that will make it an amazing event.

will i do it again next year.....hell yeah and i'll promote it to others got the bug now

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

I think the main issue with the mountain rescue people is that apart from the litter was that there was a major displacement in rocks/stone/shale down the mountain which normally would not take place .
    The GF crew I believe didn't even bring the own generator and had to scab the MR base electricity, the donation by GF to the MR was also minimal .
    Walkers with Elites is probably not unique to GF and it is mostly down to people not knowing either their own capability or the elite standard, an predicted time for a 10mile run on the entry form would sort 90% of this out as you could sort accordingly .
    That said I think the issues are obvious and lets hope they are smart enough to learn from it.
    The positives far out weigh the negatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Mossess wrote: »
    This is my take on the day and I have to say that initially I hadn’t actually researched the map too deeply, really just glanced over it. I knew there was a beach section and it would get a little wet in some parts, and that was grand.
    When we all lined up at the start point I thought to myself, “this isn’t too bad, 100 or so metres and we’re on the road, happy days” So off I trotted up onto the road. No problems at all. Have to admit that I was worried a little by the amount of downhill in that first stage because I knew there would be an up hill, and also the increased risk of injury from down hill running, and also my pace had increased beyond what i had planned. Not to worry though, the scenery is nice. Must remember to look about and take it all in.
    Then I look ahead and I see a bit of a queue forming, whats this all about I think. OMSMODGWTF is going on with that hill. Okay, we’re going up it. It wasn’t easy was it. Between slipping, sliding and trying to keep up a good pace, it was interesting. Someone made a comment about it being a taster for Crough Patrick, internally I cursed and smiled. Reached the top and started down. Talk about a slide. Did I mention the slide had Rocks and Drops in it. Not bad though, much easier on the way down in one way. Nearly at the bottom, back on road soon I think. Hadn’t quiet figured on the mud river, that was fun.
    As I made my way along what seemed more like a queue then a race I decided that sticking to the sides maybe wasn’t the smartest option, time to go up the middle. One step in. I’m thinking “where is my knee gone???” Step two, “time to lunge outa here” and I’m back on the side again. Things start to spread out a little here and I pass the stragglers from the previous wave. Then back onto the road. My shoes are filled with water and mud, not to worry though. As the run goies on I catch sight of the kayaks, then turn right, and up and around before getting to the transition area.
    When I arrived there was quiet a queue built up. Time to catch my breath. There was a Steward there who directed me to the correct queue, on my and her left, yet she kept saying “Stay to the right hand side.” All the time pointing to the left
    I’m guessing she had being doing this for quite a while and thought better then to try and point out whole left right thing, I’m sure on some level it made sense. A lad came in after me and joined me in the queue. Think he was from Cork, said he was rounding off the GAA season with GFW, fair play I said. The humour at the Transition was good and everyone was chatting away. The Kayaking was possibly the easiest of all the sections. It was the Cork lads first time in a kayak, I made the mistake of sitting in the back. Wet pants! It was a funny crossing as the banter was good. Think we managed to ram the same boat twice at the start and nearly at the finish. Not sure how long the crossing took, but no one passed us and we managed to pass quite a few, except for the lads we rammed of course. Set off on the a long long 3.5k run through marsh and brush and mud. That really was a bit of an energy sapper. When I got to the bike transition I was a little annoyed I have to admit to see lads, in full view of marshals getting changed and eating from there parked up cars and vans. I planned carefully what I could carry and took on board all the warnings about not stashing food along the route or accepting food or water from spectators. That aside, I got to my bike, gave it a quick once over and walked with it out to where I could mount it. It was at this point I ate an energy bar. It tasted great.
    I know the bar looked like a regular power bar, but I think this one was made with the finest Swiss Chocolate, and fruit hand picked and selected – just for this bar. You get the jest. It was nice. So Off I started. The benefit of a road bike over a mountain bike were immediately seen. I’m fairly new to bikes but I was passing people all over the place. The biking seemed like a good break from the running and I settled into a good steady pace. Forgot to reset my bike computer until about 3k in. After another 6k I started chatting to a lad who didn’t seem to be coping too well at all. He was convinced that there was only about 5k left. Not sure if he made it at all.

At one point I got cramps. It’s the first time I’ve ever experienced them on a bike, in both legs at the same time. It wasn’t pleasant, but sure what could I do? If I got off the bike I’d only be walking around like a ballerina doing swan lake, so I carried on, had to laugh. I’ve seen throughout the thread a lot of people complaining about the steep downhill section. I have to say that I enjoyed it, there were bits when I let loose, but mostly gripped the brakes as tightly as I could, did my best to avoid pot holes, loose gravel, wet grass in the middle and all the rest and managed to survive it – must check the computer to see what speed I reached on that section. There were points when I had to get off the bike as I was unable to carry on uphill, but they were few and far between. When I got to the Transition for Crough Patrick I was surprised to see all the bikes at the side of the road. It was a complete mess and disorganised. I rode up to the entry point and was told there was a place on the rack for my bike, Happy days I thought, so I parked up. Used this point to refill my bottles and water down the remainder of the lucuzade sport. (Hadn’t realised how strong it tasted)

As I started up the reek I passed a number of discarded fig roll packets, half full. I guess if you were in one of the earlier waves you had the option of refuelling. But I saw nothing more than a girl sitting on a table with a roll of paper cups near the tap – The tap which was the water point. Poor effort there. Anyway. Like a lemming I followed the crowd ahead of me and started walking directly towards the top of the reek. I should have taken the Zig zag route as the way I went was a total energy drain. When I reached the pathway I was amazed by the views and used this opportunity to take a few snap shots. Then off up I carried on. The reek sure was crazy. Everyone was encouraging everyone else and there was a great feeling of “lets get through this” – what did it for me was when I was really out of energy when I saw a woman coming back down with her kid, she must have been about 5 or 6, and I thought to myself, “What on Earth am I complaining about. If that Kid can do it and keep on smiling then so can I” so I down an energy gel and carried on. Also passing the Farmer in his Sunday best 3 piece suit also fired me on too! When I got to the top I made a few phone calls and decided to eat the banana I’d been saving. Turns out I had killed it. The banana that is. Ah well, you can’t have everything in life. The views were great up there, and then, before I knew it, it was time to come back down again. descending was a lot easier, I’d say coming down took about 25 to 30 minutes, maybe less. Again refilled my bottles and got back on the bike.
    Flying along, then the left turn, rocks. Quickly hop off the bike, this was that secion that had been talked about. I have to say it was a lot worse than I had thought it was going to be. I hoped up on the bikle a few times. Cycled where I could. Ran where I couldn’t. Got back out onto the road, a little bit of a downward slope, nice one I think as I build up a bit of speed. I pass an ambulance treating a lad in the back, he doesn’t look too comfortable, I pass his bike maybe 50 metres later. If ever there was a reminder to be careful at this stage, that was it. Hit out onto the main road, and all the energy that had been drained though out the day has returned. The last section and I have bags of fuel left in the bag, so I crank up the gears and speed up. I start passing a good few people and it’s all going great. There were a few people out waving and cheering on, I nod and carry on. I pull into Westport house and I’m told there is a little section to run. As I park the bike up I wonder how my legs will react to running again. Turns out quiet well and it all happens in automatic. Over the line. Finished. I’m an empty shell. I have no energy. Rob is there. He comes over and we shake hands. Other then Rob there it would have been a hollow finish to be honest. Rob told me about the Pasta which I was thankful of. All in all a great days adventure.

But there are a few things that were downers.
    1/ The months before the start, there seemed to be no involvement from the organisers.
    2/ I mailed the organisers regarding a matter and received no response.
    3/ Each email from the organisers left me feeling like I had just been spammed.
    4/ The registration was a farce. – Queuing up how many times!! That drove me nuts, although I didn’t get to drive very far due to the traffic jams and muddy conditions.
    5/ The lack of a timing mat at the start. – Did they run out or just decide to save a few quid?
    6/ The Goodie bag. Spammed again. The T-Shirt, fair enough, it’s a t-shirt. Fairly standard. But they have big name sponsors, or at least they should, so from what it could have been to what it was, was as big a gap as Croagh Patrick
    7/ The lack of anything to say you finished it. This is my first event of this kind, a big thing for me. Anything would have been better than nothing.

That being said, all the things that I complain about are superficial. Points 1 to 3 – maybe I was just expecting too much, it’s only all about the day after all. Point 4 – Registration had to be done, and it had to be done where you dropped your bike. Point 5 – Maybe there was one?? Point 6 – No Goodie bag would have actually been better. Point 7 - It would have been nice.

Some people moaned that the organisers made a lot of money out of the event. To that I’d say – well, that’s their job. But I would say that perhaps they should employ someone to handle the niceties that usually go with these events.
    It was all being said a great day and a great event. I’ll be back next year, hoping to knock an hour off of my time.

Great race report Mosses, you should consider submiting it to sleepmonsters.com or Outsider magazine

Advertisement