Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Peterx wrote: »
    It should be mandatory to use the zig zag path, this contains the erosion and massively increases the chances of an injured runner being found and helped quickly.
    I realise it increases congestion on that path but unless someone* goes to the trouble of building another zig zag path near the existing one we've little choice.

someone*
    Anyone other then me usually...

+1 to that. Make the zig-zag mandatory as Peter mentioned it was in the first year. That levels the playing field as it's not a navigation adventure race and prevents erosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

plodder wrote: »
    I imagine that people who were happy with it, are less inclined to come on here and shout about it. So, maybe it's not balanced that way.

But a lot of the complaints sound reasonable enough, and it depends where you were in the field, whether you experienced them. Am I right in thinking that the event has doubled in size every year? So, there were about 1000 in it last year? Will there be 4000 next year? It sounds like it can cope with about 1000. But the profit motive makes it hard to stick to limits like that.

2009 - 2500
    2008 - 800
    2007 - 400 I think.

Don't know how many in 2006 the first year.

I'd say it could cope with 2500 but they would need to put a bit more effort (money) into the finishing line and the pasta. There were a few people who passed over the finish line in near silence which was awful. I did a decent amount of clapping and shouting as I knew people who were in most of the waves right up until the 9am bus but it would have been nice to have a couple more volunteers lined up to hand people a Lucozade sport and a bowl of pasta and congratulate them on finishing a fairly monumental achievement.

Fair play to volunteers who were there. There didn't seem to be any change over of helpers for the woman at the finish line. I'd say it was exhausting to keep helping people take off their timing chip for hours in the rain.

Three cheers for the volunteers!

(I'm a poet and I didn't know it)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Race aside and any views on the value offered by hotels/B+B's to those that traveled , had a few people stay with me but had relatives been qouted over €170 per room per night in B+B and a once one qoute of €240 for 2 people for 1 night in hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Did anyone that filled in and sent back the feedback form get their 6 euro voucher yet???

No sign of it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Just wondering if anyone has a decent high resolution photograph of the Reek, Don't need any competitors or people in it, just a good photo of the mountain is perfect?

thanks
    EV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Mossess wrote: »
    Some people moaned that the organisers made a lot of money out of the event. To that I’d say – well, that’s their job. .

I'm all for money making events, the more money they make the greater the possibility of more and better events, my 'moan' is that there are many many not for profit events held with entry fees as low as €20 which have better support in place.

There is a big difference between paying money for a product which is delivered to a high standard and the organisers grabbing the money and letting people off.
    While such events have a fend for yourself element if you allow an event like this grow so big so quickly you have to increase the participants supports.

Also it has to be taken into account that not only did they get our entry fee but also money from sponsors and associated revenue streams... the right to put out all that spam was paid for!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Did anyone that filled in and sent back the feedback form get their 6 euro voucher yet???

No sign of it for me.

The link to the form in the email they sent doesn't work! :)

yop wrote: »
    The link to the form in the email they sent doesn't work! :)

Now Now Mr. Programmer...go up one folder from the link and you will find a load of docs, one of them is the feedback form.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Now Now Mr. Programmer...go up one folder from the link and you will find a load of docs, one of them is the feedback form.

Could be a sly way of stopping people from responding ;)

I would say so, as I sent it off the same day the email came, and have got nothing back yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Race aside and any views on the value offered by hotels/B+B's to those that traveled , had a few people stay with me but had relatives been qouted over €170 per room per night in B+B and a once one qoute of €240 for 2 people for 1 night in hotel.

Myself and three others managed to get accommodation in a B&B on the Leenane Road for €35 each. (Two twin rooms). I thought that was pretty good value!
    In conversation with the man of the house he mentioned business was down by 30% this calendar year and they had halved their prices (€70 would not have been value but it was a nice place with a great Breakfast!).

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Good to hear Belcarra , a little afraid with all the GF feedback that they could kill the golden goose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jucer

Hi
    Did Gaelforce and Achill roar last year. Hope to to hem again next year. I did both races using normal runnners. I am going to change to trail runners this year. any recommendation on what type are best. from my web searches i have found 3 maked Innov8, walshes and solomoms. i cannot seem to locate a retailer for walshes in Ireland does anyone know of one? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Personally, I don't like walshes at all. Not enough support. There are a few online retailers in the UK that sell them, the last time I looked. Orienteering sites have them some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I did GFW in Salomon Speed Cross 2's as well as loads of IMRA runs. I found them to be perfect for the terrain and much better than road runners. Cost about €90 in Snow and Rock in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Wore Salomon XA Pro Ultra GTX, bought as they were the only trail runners in Great Outdoors at the time. Don't know how they compare with others but I found them great. Definitely don't wear regular runners, people wearing non-trail shoes were falling all over the place on the descent on the first off-road hill during the initial 10k run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jucer

cheers
    will probably go for a pair of solomons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 djpm

I got a pair of waterproof Salomon something or others, used them in Gaelforce - 2 issues. 1, waterproof was great until water got in the top, then my feet stayed wet. 2, I kept falling on the 2nd run and coming down the reek, went over on my ankles literally about 6 times. Maybe I hadn't broken them in properly, I only got them a couple of weeks beforehand, but I had used them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I wore a pair of Inov-8 Terroc 330s, Couldn't speak highly enough of them, really sure footed, the only thing I would say is that I might have gone for a slighlly lighter shoe from the same range if I hadn't been doing the reek. This one had lots of side and toe protection.

Anyone get a 5 yo-yo voucher for filling in the post race survey?
    EV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I wore a pair of innov8 (rocklite 310 i think) for GF last year. I use them alot for trail running and i find them excellent in wet, muddy or damp conditions. I dont use them when road running as they dont provide enough cushioning but for trails and off road they cant be beaten.

Got them in the Edge in cork for 90euro i think including discount.

• Advertisement

I'd advice against getting goretex/waterproof runners for GF. It's a wet race. You'll probably have your feet submerged in water at the kayaking at some point. waterproof shoes will just hold the water in after that, whereas normal shoes will let it drain out.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I would disagree, no need to submerge feet if you are careful. I kept my feet dry for entire race. (while wearing trail shoes which were somewhat waterprooof)
    Mind you I didnt win it so what would I know !

I would disagree, no need to submerge feet if you are careful. I kept my feet dry for entire race. (while wearing trail shoes which were somewhat waterprooof)
    Mind you I didnt win it so what would I know !

How did you manage to get into the kayak and out again without putting your foot in the water :)

Not doubting you but I can't see how you kept feet dry between the state of the downhill in the first 12km, the puddles along the same track, the kayak and the 3km run to the bikes, never mind the pit of a transitition area :)

Had you sky hooks to hang off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

were you in full scuba gear or something? +1 on the non waterproof shoes. Once you are out of the wet they dont be long drying out!

OK then, I'll be more accurate :D

If you're going to do the race as fast as possible then your feet are going to get submerged (most likely several times, given the bog in the middle section too). Being careful = being slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Hi,
    I'm thinking of signing up for this weekend to get my toes in the water of adventure racing. I am a recreational runner and have just purchased my first racing bike recently..very shaky at first but getting there.

Didi anyone go to this last year or has anyone signed up for this year. Is it worth the money.

Thanks for any thoughts on this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

darabbit wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of signing up for this weekend to get my toes in the water of adventure racing. I am a recreational runner and have just purchased my first racing bike recently..very shaky at first but getting there.

Didi anyone go to this last year or has anyone signed up for this year. Is it worth the money.

Thanks for any thoughts on this:)

See my post on the training weekend from last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60704766&postcount=41

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Great post. I am really looking forward to it now. Your post has motivated me again. Thanks!

El Vino wrote: »
    Anyone get a 5 yo-yo voucher for filling in the post race survey?
    EV

No, never got the voucher, and honestly, didn't expect them to send them out anyways.

• Advertisement

Sorry for asking yet another question regarding Trail shoes!!

Its my 1st question about them though...I am thinking of getting a pair this year for GF, I just did it in runners last year, New Balance runners that have great support and prevent me from getting shin splints again.

I am wondering what is the support like in most trail shoes? and If anyone can recommend a pair that has good arch support??

Thanks

Advertisement