Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

ronanmac wrote: »
    Great post, dapope... certainly answers my question regarding wearing trail shoes or reguler runners. Is much of the first run section off-road?

I recorded legs 1&2 on the Garmin 405. Roughly 7k of the first leg is off road.
    ronanmac wrote: »
    Did you find the first cycle route tough? I went by in the car last month, and there seems to be a monster of a hill smack bang in the middle!

Yes, there is a climb after about 9k into the cycle, it lasts for roughly 2k. Its tough. The decent after this climb is pretty "technical" also. There is a bit of a drag up to the transition at CP as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

VoteFoley wrote: »
    Well lad e o
    your some man!

Lads thats not adding much - either contribute properly or not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GaelForceRookie

Hi all,
    I'm also preparing for Gael Force, first time. I'm Dublin 12 based.
    Blogging my efforts at www.GaelForceRookie.com if you're interested.

On the running, get up those hills!. Runners from other years say it's the best preparation. IMRO events are the best but if you are new to it (like me) you can still run the same trails on your own.

For anyone with weak ankles, knees or other limbs, get the correct exercises from a physio and do them. It made all the difference for me. Also, run on grass.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good read lad, will be interesting to keep track of.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Info please from those w/experience in adventure racing:

Can you guys recommend a hydration backpack/pack?
    Do you recommend them?

I have decided to wear my Invo8's and leave the clips on the bike (racing bike). I plan to leave the cycling shoes clipped into the bike if it's safe (they are an old pair anyway) - change over to the clips and place my runners in/on my hydration pack - change over for C.P - and change again for the last cycling stage. I understand the last leg is a rough track but with tough tyres and a hardy tube I'm confident I will be able to cycle it/ if not the bike is 9.8kg and I'll pop it on my shoulder and leave the runners on.

Anyone else decided on specifics?;)

Cheers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

I use an OMM 32L sack. Its a racing rucksack, designed to be very lightweight. The pockets on the main strap are a feature I strongly recommend for anyone getting a bag for AR.

Cheers Enduro,

It looks good - think I'll invest.

Cheers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Enduro wrote: »
    I use an OMM 32L sack. Its a racing rucksack, designed to be very lightweight. The pockets on the main strap are a feature I strongly recommend for anyone getting a bag for AR.
    Really Enduro, you use that big yoke?

My plan was (I was just about to buy it on wiggle before I saw this) to bring this: Camelbak Delaney Waist Bag

Then at the bike section I'd swap for the bike shoes which will be on the bike and tie my runners onto the bike somehow. I'd also have 2 bottles at the bike. 1 will be a filler up for the bottle from the start. I'd also have another small bag here with food.

I know I have to bring a first aid kit (small) and a survival bag. Haven't 100% figured out how to bring that. I'm working on making it smaller...

Sniipe,

I'm thinking the 32ltr is a slightly big, but I think it's the way to go - maybe a slightly smaller size?

Cheers.

You sent me a link to a file on your computer there.

• Advertisement

Last year I had something like this:
    camelbak%20waterbak.jpg

But my one, which was bought in millets for €35 hadn't the best water pouch in it as it leaked too easily. I used its external strings to tie in the runners as they didn't fit inside the bag.

I am really curious as to what Enduro had in such a big bag? Jet pack/Helium/etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bdun

Hi All

Went to the training wend in galway and found it to be very beneficial
    with regards to what to expect with the actual race itself.Have no experience with adventure racing,have done a couple of marathons and reguarly train 3-4 times a week.Your race gear is of the upmost importance and all your training should be done in the gaer u will race in.Soloma runners are what i will be purchasing and breaking in over the next couple of weeks and i will defo be doing the race on a road bike,
    I found going downhill to be both exciting and fearful as when gravity starts to pull there is not much you can do but mind your step and really concentrate. I was thinking 2-3 steps ahead all the time.The kayaking is what it is and going across the 800m stretch was not bad but where you embark the kayak is a different story.Tough heavy terrain and uphill for the next 3-4km.
    All we can do is stuggle on and just mentally know how to find the finish line!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The Berghaus bag that IMRA gave out a couple of years ago is a good size for this length event. I think it's about 13L and you can put your runners on the outside and 1.5l of water on the inside.
    Platypus do a slightly smaller bag with elastic rope on the outside, very handy for quickly getting the runners stowed away. Neither of these bags have any waist pockets but a good compromise is to wear a cycling jersey which has 3 pockets on the lower back, the two outside pockets can easily hold a couple of energy bars snugly and the material itself is slightly wind baffling which is nice on the bike.
    The end of the first run/start of the kayak is timed out (or has been for the last 3 years) so you can transfer bars from your bag to to your bike jersey here whilst timed out and awaiting a kayak. Many people get slightly cold here but make sure you start the kayak in only your race jersey as otherwise you will waste race time taking it off 5 minutes into the bog run on the far side.
    Most of this race is on foot so running training is where it's at, that's where Enduro won it last year running away from the field on the foot stages and maintaining on the bike.
    I saw enduro out last night with an expedition rucsac on his back whilst cycling so it's all relative, the 32L bag probably is small for him :)

Peterx wrote: »
    I saw enduro out last night with an expedition rucsac on his back whilst cycling so it's all relative, the 32L bag probably is small for him :)
    Is he a giant? :)

Peterx, what do you mean by
    ...make sure you start the kayak in only your race jersey as otherwise you will waste race time taking it off 5 minutes into the bog run on the far side
    Would you be wearing something else coming into the kayak station or something?

sometimes there can be a bit of a wait for a kayak and after a 12km run on a possibly cold rainy day you cool down very quickly.
    Part of the mandatory kit is full body cover and a hat - which most people put on to stay warm whilst awaiting a kayak. The temptation is to leave the jacket on but you soon warm up again once you start running again on the far side. Won't matter if there's a kayak waiting for you but it might still be a benefit to take a time out to get your breath back if there is a time out.
    It's not really a biggie but one of my mates ran into the bike transition with me one year and took longer to transition due to having to pull off a jacket he had left on at the wait for the kayak, if you're racing seconds can count and he would have stuck to my wheel like glue if we'd left together on the bike:)
    That year there was unfortunately a problem with the amount of RIB's bringing kayaks back, I'm sure it'll be fine this year.
    Assuming there are enough kayaks available there should be no timeouts allowed for the elites.

Regarding the Hydration pack - has anyone any info on what is required (to be carried) during the race. This surely will determine the size of the pack?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Does anyone know if this tyre would be suitable for a road bike? I intend using my racer for the gael force but am concerned about picking up a puncture. Is that tyre a bit extreme or what i might need?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18839

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How did ye find the Kayaks? I am DREADING them big time as I can't swim and hate water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

can someone tell me what size backpack will suffice 15L, 20L, 25L?

everyone seems to have different sizes. want as small and light as possible but also having some half decent storage

does anyone know if you buy bag with the water pouch and nozzle is there space to store say a few energy bars, some food and small 1st aid box and list as specified on the GF website?

Really Enduro, you use that big yoke?

My philosphy with racing is to put everything into the bag. Nothing strapped to the outside if at all possible. So if you're going to be carrying shoes around then my philosphy would be to make sure they pack in. Things strapped to the outside can be awkward, move about a lot, or fall off!

I've just won a nice 10 litre OMM bag which looks like it will do the trick for me for GF this year. For a race this short I can go without food, so I don't really need the side pockets.

But for a general AR bag, as opposed to one specifically for GF, the 32L OMM bag is outstanding.
    But my one, which was bought in millets for €35 hadn't the best water pouch in it as it leaked too easily. I used its external strings to tie in the runners as they didn't fit inside the bag.

For the record, the Camelback Bladders seem to have the best reputation for not developing leaks, and my experience bears this out fully.
    I saw enduro out last night with an expedition rucsac on his back whilst cycling so it's all relative, the 32L bag probably is small for him

50L OMM bag, used on quite a few adventure races, particularly Primal Quest. It was full of wet clothes yesterday, on my way back from a kayaking spin!
    Assuming there are enough kayaks available there should be no timeouts allowed for the elites.

They'd need to be sure the entire wave could get through without a wait, or there would be a big advantage to the athletes behind the time-out cut-off point. Theoretically (but not practically) I agree (But then the longer the non-stopiness, the more I like it!), but would also say that single kayaks should be used for the elites, as doubling up adds an element of randomness/luck.

• Advertisement

mattym wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this tyre would be suitable for a road bike? I intend using my racer for the gael force but am concerned about picking up a puncture. Is that tyre a bit extreme or what i might need?

Too much, IMHO. Would slow you down too much on the roads.

yop wrote: »
    How did ye find the Kayaks? I am DREADING them big time as I can't swim and hate water!

Just remember you'll have a buoyancy aid on if worst comes to the worst. You won't sink. Also remember that Sit-on-top kayaks are about as safe as they come. They can't sink, and it doesn't matter if the flood with water. If you fall out, you just climb back on again, if they flip over, you just flip them back (Both very unlikely).

If you're nervous on the kayak, try focussing on the details of what you're doing, and ignore the big picture. Focus on your paddle stroke, and getting each one correct and smooth. If you're in the front, concentrate on pumping out a regular rythem, if you're in the back, concetrate on the paddler in front and follow his stroke exactly.

seanie500 wrote: »
    can someone tell me what size backpack will suffice 15L, 20L, 25L?

everyone seems to have different sizes. want as small and light as possible but also having some half decent storage

does anyone know if you buy bag with the water pouch and nozzle is there space to store say a few energy bars, some food and small 1st aid box and list as specified on the GF website?

If you're not going to be carrying too much then you won't need too much space. It depends on the size of the items you're going to carry. I reckon you could get away with a 5l pack in the right circumstances, but there would be compromises involved in that.

To answer the second part, that depends on the specific model, but the majority do.

Enduro wrote: »
    Just remember you'll have a buoyancy aid on if worst comes to the worst. You won't sink. Also remember that Sit-on-top kayaks are about as safe as they come. They can't sink, and it doesn't matter if the flood with water. If you fall out, you just climb back on again, if they flip over, you just flip them back (Both very unlikely).

If you're nervous on the kayak, try focussing on the details of what you're doing, and ignore the big picture. Focus on your paddle stroke, and getting each one correct and smooth. If you're in the front, concentrate on pumping out a regular rythem, if you're in the back, concetrate on the paddler in front and follow his stroke exactly.

Thanks for that chief, it will be my brother who will be with me and he is worse than me :):)

we grew up about 200 yards from the sea but can't swim lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 VoteFoley

mattym wrote: »

How do lads,
    I was on the training weekend just gone by and the lads giving the training recommended armadillo tyres. Might be worth a look, just passing on the info as i have no cycling experience at all (apart from that weekend!). These tyres are meant to be much less prone to punctures and even though they may slow you slightly, it would be much worse to get a puncture.....or so i'm told.

yop wrote: »

I was at the training at the weekend and am also a fairly weak swimmer.
    Once you get out there and get ten strokes in you will feel a lot more confident that you would have to do something fairly drastic to come off!!:D
    Even if you do you have the buoyancy aid which, once you have it strapped on well, will look after you.

I would just concentrate on the training, the kayak section is a breeze!!

Could you recommend shorts to wear that would be good for the cycling as well as the running? I am pretty much a total beginner to the cycling and was in pain after the short cycle during the training (still quite sore between my reproductive satchel and my waste portal!!)

VoteFoley wrote: »
    I was at the training at the weekend and am also a fairly weak swimmer.
    Once you get out there and get ten strokes in you will feel a lot more confident that you would have to do something fairly drastic to come off!!:D
    Even if you do you have the buoyancy aid which, once you have it strapped on well, will look after you.

I would just concentrate on the training, the kayak section is a breeze!!

LOL,if you see some fat boy struggling in the water make sure you wave at me :)

I got the shorts in Aldi 2 weeks ago, seem sound and I have wore them a fair bit.

Shorts - I wear a pair of cycling shorts with the chamois ripped out, light enough for running and long enough to prevent chafing on the bike (no help to the pain in your t'isn't though)

Bag - was in "freewheel cycling" in Arnotts store and saw a bag that's the perfect size and shape, the price is a quibble in fairness though.
    "Deuter Hydro exp 8" €115
    It Has waist pockets, 8L main pocket, 2L bladder+hose+bite valve, front pouch for quick storage of runners, side elastic pockets and a price tag of €115. I dunno if they do discounts but I'd hope so :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Peterx wrote: »
    Shorts - light enough for running and long enough to prevent chafing on the bike (no help to the pain in your t'isn't though)

hilarious!!:D:D

Advertisement