Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irishrm

I'm planning on heading up there this saturday, does anyone know if the map on the GF website is sufficient to find the starting point for the CP assent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Cycled from Westport on my Mountain bike and ran(fast walk more like) the reek on Saturday. It was a lot tougher than I thought after cycling only 11k out to it. Its gonna be hell on the day.

40 Mins up, and 20ish down. I found the whole thing very severe on the knees and ankles.

Anyways, This is my 1st GF & am hoping to finish it in 5 or 6 hours, so I have a couple of questions:

Should I wear runners for the whole thing, or change to clipless cycle shoes for the bike stages?

Same with padded cycle shorts, should they be worn the whole time or just for the cycling stages? Or just normal shorts for the whole thing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

it's a bit of personal preference here really. If you're concerned about times then you wear the same clothes all day. If comfort is a concern then you can change clothes I think.
    If you're not a biker then wearing runners and toe-clips is good in that you won't have to carry the runners on the bike stage (leaving room for spare clothes :) ) and makes for quicker transitions.
    Best thing to do is a 32km cycle in runners and toe clips and see does it do strange things to your instep/calves et cetera.. if you have big feet the toe clips might not fit very well and so on..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NavanHobbler

yeah just follow the GF map and you'll find the race start for the croagh patrick climb. We managed it ok. Park at the portacabin for Mayo Mountain rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

I'm doing Gael Force for the first time this year too, i really have picked up a lot of good hints of this thread.

Im using a camelback, a pair of trail runners for all the running and cp, a racer with clipless pedals and shoes (spd).

Gonna take a look at CP myself next week, it's the part i am really dreading cos I have done practically zero training on hills.

Achill 20k will give me a good indicator of how the training is going anyway on Saturday!

Keep the recommedations coming - It's my first time posting here and hope to be on here a bit more now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Stary

Doing Achill myself! looking forward to it, am feeling in good shape for it. GF6 will be great too (i hope). i too am a first timer. What trail runners did u get? i am thinking of the Saloman speedcross 2s, but i see a lot of ref to the XT trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

Went with the speedcross 2's myself. Havent got them yet only ordered from Wiggle on monday. i went with them because of all the good comments from people here on them, especially the imra folk.

Achill will be tough for me, first time at the distance and I've been struggling bad with a calf strain over the last 2-3 months, its taking a lot of managing. I'll give it a go at a nice handy pace anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stary

Well, best of luck on Saturday. Get a good rub on the calf and I'm sure you'll be fine! i found someones run from last years achill 1/2 on garmin. check it out if you want to plan a strategy. Best of luck again. S (might run into ya over there!!)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308309

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ddwport

Hi all,

I'm a first timer on boards and finding the comments very useful on this thread. I'm thinking of buying a new bike but wasn't sure whether to go the racer or cyclocross route? I know a lot of people last year were on racers and simply carried the bikes over the rougher stage of the course. To be honest i don't even know what the differences are between the two bikes except that the tyres are thicker and more durable on the cyclocross. Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Get a road racer. Simple as that. Also, get some good puncture resistant tyres for it.

Finally, train on it, make sure you're familiar and comfortable with it. Get in plenty of hills on your training if you can, as it will pay off on the double.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NewToGaelfoce

Hi everyone,

first I'd like to say this is a great thread and that I've been finding it very useful so thanks. When it come to fitness my guess is that I'm below average but i really like the look of gaelforce as it seems to be mighty craic.

I have a lot of spare time atm as its the summer before college for me now and would like to do some serious training for the event. While I doubt that anything I do now would prepare properly for the event due to the time left I would like to be a competitor for 2010. Basically I'm looking a good, tough, long term (/short term, who knows i might enter this year :)) training regime to sink my teeth into. I'd like to know what you do Enduro.

Thanks in advance for all help and sorry if I missed any plans already up because I haven't had time to read all the pages.

Thanks again (am really looking forward to this):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

I have a lot of spare time atm
    sorry if I missed any plans already up because I haven't had time to read all the pages.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Hi folks, decided to do the first cycling leg and the Croagh Patrick climb yesterday as, as a first-timer, was a little bit anxious about the whole thing! Hope the description is of some use to fellow Gaelforce virgins!

Left south Conamara at 6.30, a fellow Gaelforcee in one car, me in another, left one car in the Mayo Mountain Rescue car park, heading back down to Delphi Mountain Resort where we parked and set off on the cycle.

About six miles in, we came to what I found was a pretty tough climb (my friend had more cycling training done, didn't find it as tough). The descent was not as simple as throwing yourself down the side of the hill either, as it's all blind bends and the occasional pothole, plus some gravel and rocks which I presume were swept on the road by the recent thunderstorms. There is another reasonably steep, but short, climb on this road, which is narrow and windy but with a decent surface. The course then turns left onto the main road into Westport, before turning left again towards the Reek. This is basically a bog road, again with a decent surface, but is a longish drag.

It took us 1 hour 30 to get to the carpark, where we put the two bikes into the car and headed up Croagh Patrick. The initial part is boggy, we set off running but my legs were like jelly after the cycle! We settled on walking reasonably quickly while jogging on any flatish section. Going up, my calves felt like someone had poured petrol on them and threw a match at them! Most of my training to date had been based on running, I thought that marathon training would leave me with enough fitness to get through Gaelforce. I definitely found the cycling tougher than I should, however, and suffered on the ascent because of that. So it's up on the bike this week for me! 35 minutes to the top.

A brief break on top, taking in the views on a rare clear day before heading down. I've never run down a mountain before so was looking forward to the descent. Threw myself down, finding that running on the loose scree was easier if slightly hairier. Got a stitch, I presume because my legs were not used to moving so quickly. 15 minutes down.

As for gear, I used a roadbike with regular tyres, will be upgrading the tyres for some puncture resistance. Wore cycling shorts for the climb as well as the bike, surprisingly unobtrusive. Hadn't bothered changing pedals on the bike so wore SPD's, with the runners in my backpack. Not sure if I will go this route for the actual race, might use the one pair of shoes for the whole thing. The runners, which I bought for Gaelforce, a pair of Soloman XA Pro 3D, were great on the climb, had tried them on the road before, and found them a bit harsh, short on cushioning. Misgivings were put aside after Saturday though.

That's it, hope it's of some use...

Those are very good times there RonanMac. You'll be very competitive if you can reproduce that on race day.

Basically I'm looking a good, tough, long term (/short term, who knows i might enter this year :)) training regime to sink my teeth into. I'd like to know what you do Enduro.

It would take a long time to write it all. There are other threads, like my 24 hour thread, which document a lot of the training that I do. Check out some of the other threads on training.

Cheers Enduro, not sure, however, if I could come near those times on the day, after having done the running sections. I feel better about the whole thing though after doing the cycle/climb, though (although my quads are killing me today!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

went down Sat to try CP as am a 1st timer on this..very tough have to say, legs still sore today!..anyway few pictures of the slope on the day,very steep just after half way up..

recommend making the trip to get an idea of what is involved in this climb..also had to bear in mind i hadn't done the cycle or run before hand either!!..

04072009161.jpg

04072009163.jpg

04072009164.jpg

04072009165.jpg

04072009166.jpg

Good times there Ronan, i think i met you coming down the mountain as we were just going up!!

Gonna do the cycle legs and the reek this Saturday.

I used to cycle years ago with the local team, but gave it up after a bad crash, so the climb between Delphi and Drummin should be a big blast from the past, always hated that climb.

Only worry for the this really though is the off road section over Prospect, thats bad on a mountain bike, can't imagine me cycling much of it on a racer.

GForcer1 wrote: »
    Good times there Ronan, i think i met you coming down the mountain as we were just going up!!

If you mean the guy with the red hair, and redder face, that was me alright! Great pics, GForcer1, that was my third time on the Reek, but the first time with a clear view from the top.

for reference anyone going up to try this, google earth screenshot of the area where to run, and altitude profile

NSTSCREENSHOT.JPG

Google Earth View CP.JPG

• Advertisement

ronanmac wrote: »
    If you mean the guy with the red hair, and redder face, that was me alright! Great pics, GForcer1, that was my third time on the Reek, but the first time with a clear view from the top.

yep, that was you alright..i went up it in about 40 mins, down in 15 but i didn't do anything before hand..i think doing it straight after a cycle would be tough as even trying to get your legs moving on flat ground after a cycle is hard, never mind running up a bog!..

Found the decent good fun though, even though we were scaring the bejasus out of the walkers comng down with rocks going everywhere!

I'm glad i done it though as now i know, even though it was a 3hr drive down from Dublin that morning, was well worth it, might pay a visit agian before the event but i think this thing is going to be more tough than i thought, in the race the 15km run and 33km cycle will be under your belt before you even hit CP...

Quick question lads:

I had shins splints, and any running shoe i used was not helping, so got GAIT analysis done a few months back, and he recommended New Balance 859 stability runners, between them and physio I have been improving slowly.

Did the reek in them 2 weeks ago, and was happy enough too.

But my question is, are runners good enough for the running section of the GF?

Paid a quick visit to CP on Saturday, climbed the reek with GForcer1 and did the longer of the cycle stages. I did the mountain run first (ronanmac I was with GForcer1 when you arrived down, I was the guy in the navy t shirt, with the bag) and found the experience worrying at first but fine once we got going. The ground between the mayo rescue cabins and the bottom of the hill is quite boggy and I can only imagine the state it gets into in bad weather never mind after 2,500 people have trod all over it. I was wearing a pair of Asics and was pretty much all over the shop in them, hence I am planning to get trail runners as soon as possible. The tactic for the climb was to keep running up the hill until my thighs were ready to explode, stop/walk to let them recover and go at it again, there were sections where you had to walk/scramble to keep your footing though. Made it up in ok time and enjoyed the views, again I feel the trail runners would have benefited in some of the steeper sections. Coming down was intense/terrifying and a lot of fun, I’m not sure I’ve ever said sorry so many times in such a short space of time as we dodged tourists and the sharp rocks/knives on the way down. I didn’t follow the path the whole way down and diverted off to the right and came straight down avoiding the zig zag, I think this made up a bit of time and it wasn’t a problem. The Asics caused me to do a bit of sliding again on the bottom section and I also took a hopper into a small section of bog. I actually think this area is quite dangerous also when you are travelling at full pelt across it as it is hard to see what is solid ground and what is bog and I think I was lucky not to injure myself.

Cycled back from CP 20 miles (32.5 kms) towards the race starting point only to find that this brought me back to the far side of Leenan (according to Gary Garmin) well past the Delphi entrance sign, I’m presuming there is a long drive into the adventure centre that makes the whole stage the 32.5km stated on the website. The wind going in this direction was horrendous and I struggled a fair bit which meant when I turned around to come back the race route it didn’t seem so bad. That was until I had to do the last 2 miles and my legs decided to abandon me. I really did contemplate getting off the bike but kept going, although in fairness I would have been quicker walking. I’ve now made myself paranoid about this two mile section in the race as I would have been in a heap starting the CP ascent. Aside from that the cycle its self wasn’t too bad, uphills and downhills in equal measure, with one section where you can pick up some serious downhill speed.

Going away from CP I noticed a grass/sandy track coming down from the left, does anyone know if this is the off road section after the CP descent? Enduro can you enlighten us on this?

I drove the last section to Westport and there seems to be one or two hills on that as well just to rub in the pain before you finish. All in all the trip was well worth it and everyone participating should make at least one trip up the reek.

I hope this post wasn’t too long and helps anyone heading that way in the next few weeks.

Crikey, apologies lads and lassies for the font in the previous posting.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    But my question is, are runners good enough for the running section of the GF?

You'll get around fine, but they won't be optimal. In some ways they are better (support and cushioning), but trail runners would be better for grip for sure, particularly if the ground is wet. If it's a heatwave day, after a week of solid rainless sunshine then trainers will be absolutely fine. In general though, the faster you go, the more benificial trail runners will be.

Going away from CP I noticed a grass/sandy track coming down from the left, does anyone know if this is the off road section after the CP descent? Enduro can you enlighten us on this?

If by going awayfrom CP you mean going from the carpark towards the main road and onwards towards Leenan, then that sounds right to me. Its a "double track", about tractor width.

Thanks Enduro,

The end of it didn't look too bad, but in the wet it could be trecherous on a road bike. I was in a rush so I completely forgot to investigate it before I left.

Is there anyone going up there this weekend who could have a look? Maybe take a few pictures and give us an opinion? I'm not sure I'll be able to get back up there before the day.

I was also watching GF clips on youtube and everyone seems to be carrying large bags. I plan on using the same footwear for the whole race, and carrying only a small amount of water if any (two bottles on the bike should do me), are things like the survival bag quite bulky? I have no idea what one looks like. I'll be bringing the minimal first aid as well, plasters, bandages not much else.

Irishrm wrote: »
    Thanks Enduro,

The end of it didn't look too bad, but in the wet it could be trecherous on a road bike. I was in a rush so I completely forgot to investigate it before I left.

Is there anyone going up there this weekend who could have a look? Maybe take a few pictures and give us an opinion? I'm not sure I'll be able to get back up there before the day.

I was also watching GF clips on youtube and everyone seems to be carrying large bags. I plan on using the same footwear for the whole race, and carrying only a small amount of water if any (two bottles on the bike should do me), are things like the survival bag quite bulky? I have no idea what one looks like. I'll be bringing the minimal first aid as well, plasters, bandages not much else.

It was wet last year and I cycled the whole track uphill on my roadbike without having to get off (except for a gate crossing). You're not going to break the speedlimit going up, so its not too trecherous.

A lot of the footage on the videos is from the GF12, which is a much longer race than the GF6, with totally different gear requirements. Thats why a lot of the bags are relatively big and bulky.

Thanks (again) Enduro,

I have bought a small bag made by Ridge 53???, I had never heard of the make before but I wore it at the weekend on CP and it was fine, it has a water bag and hopefully enough room to hold the rest of the GF requirements. It has a chest and waist strap and I find it very comfortable. For anyone in Cork I got this in an outdoor shop on the Coal Quay, not the one on the corner the new one beside that, not sure of the name of the shop but the bag was only 25 euros.

I popped down town to try on a few pairs of trail runners this afternoon, the ivon-8 mudroc are ridiculously light and surprisingly comfortable with enough cushion for the road, they stock these in Trek on North Main Street. I could find any shops stocking the speed cross 2's though, I'll make a decision when I have tried them out as well.

As for the shorts, I am not a big cycler and I usually wear cycling shorts, but I cycled the GF route in normal running shorts on saturday and found them fine so I think I will just go with them on the day.

• Advertisement

Got a bit lost on the way down, but it saved me over 300 metres according to the Garmin so I will be following that route on the day also.

Enduro how on God's earth did you get down in 9 minutes last year? Expecially after the run and cycle.

Advertisement