Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Hi Everyone.

I recently got a pair of INOV8 flyroc 310 and i have to say they have transformed my running. I only run in forests these days as i got bored and injured from running on roads. These runners have excellent grip, are very light and dry very quickly.
    With all the rain we have been having recently i was slipping alot on the forest trails and the last straw was when i slipped and hit my head off a tree. Since i got these im always hoping that conditions are mucky as the shoes are so good in those conditions.
    Not sure if anyone else has recomended these but id have to give them 10 outta 10.
    Pics and reviews here: http://blog.rockrun.com/2008/08/review-inov8-flyroc-310.html

In relation to bags i went for an inov8 race pro 12 rucksack with bladder.
    I only founf this by chance when i was looking for the shoes but it has a novel bladder system with the reservoir strapped around the waste rather than on your back so its more comfortable to run with(at least thats the idea). Only ordered it today so ill give a review about it later in the week.

Link to the site i got it here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Inov-8_Race_Pro_12_Rucksack_With_Bladder/5360031762/

Hope this helps,

Oh and i dont work for inov8 just in case thats what you were thinking:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If you are looking for grippy inov-8s for slippy conditions then these are the dogs you know what. Inov-8 Mudclaw 270s. Wore them running the Galtees at the weekend and that was pure bog and s.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How comfortable are these on the road though? I suffer from shin splint so need the "correct " gait on the shoe to suit. Not sure if these are suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If theres long sections of road then I wouldn't recommend them. If you've a race of mainly grass and mud they are just the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Getting a bit nervous reading this, first time doing a race of this length. Heading to France in 3 weeks so going to cycle Mont Ventoux as part of my holiday, 21km/1900 mtrs. Hoping that'll help some bit. The pics of Croagh Patrick would give you the shivers though :)

• Advertisement

Can anyone who has dont gf previously or who may have done one of the training weekends tell me what type of terraine the running section is on and how long you will be running on each type of terraine.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Hi Everyone.

I recently got a pair of INOV8 flyroc 310 and i have to say they have transformed my running. I only run in forests these days as i got bored and injured from running on roads. These runners have excellent grip, are very light and dry very quickly.
    With all the rain we have been having recently i was slipping alot on the forest trails and the last straw was when i slipped and hit my head off a tree. Since i got these im always hoping that conditions are mucky as the shoes are so good in those conditions.
    Not sure if anyone else has recomended these but id have to give them 10 outta 10.
    Pics and reviews here: http://blog.rockrun.com/2008/08/review-inov8-flyroc-310.html

I only founf this by chance when i was looking for the shoes but it has a novel bladder system with the reservoir strapped around the waste rather than on your back so its more comfortable to run with(at least thats the idea). Only ordered it today so ill give a review about it later in the week.

Link to the site i got it here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Inov-8_Race_Pro_12_Rucksack_With_Bladder/5360031762/

Hope this helps,

Where did you buy your Innov8s I didnt think they were available in Ireland.

If you read back through this thread the terrain is discussed - I believe the first run of 12K is predominantly on road/gravel
    2nd run up and down CP is varied terrain very rocky towards top and depending on weather muddy in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irishrm

Hi Poncherello,

The Edge tri shop in Cork stocks them, I'm not sure where you are based though. They have about 5/6 different models all around 90euros.

If you read back through this thread the terrain is discussed - I believe the first run of 12K is predominantly on road/gravel
    2nd run up and down CP is varied terrain very rocky towards top and depending on weather muddy in parts.

Got the inov8s in the Edge shop on north main street cork. they were 95 euro.
    The bag i got from wiggle, still waiting for it to arrive so ill give a review on it next week:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kbishop25@gmail

Luc79 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Myself and 4 of my friends have signed up to the Gaelforce West challenge - no sorry, my friend somehow managed to convince me to do it!! I've never done a triathlon in my life :eek: - the closest thing I've done is the mini-marathon (a measly 10K in comparison to 65K!!)
    ANyhoo - just on here wondering if anyone has training tips or if anyone is interested in Group Training?
    :)

Hi there Luc, hope everything is going well for you. When i train in the gym i put the thread mill on incline and push myself that way. i feel it is easier on the bones. it also makes running allot easier. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kbishop25@gmail

ddwport wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a first timer on boards and finding the comments very useful on this thread. I'm thinking of buying a new bike but wasn't sure whether to go the racer or cyclocross route? I know a lot of people last year were on racers and simply carried the bikes over the rougher stage of the course. To be honest i don't even know what the differences are between the two bikes except that the tyres are thicker and more durable on the cyclocross. Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

well ddw. i would get a racer, a Defy 4 racer new is 550. And you can use it for racing after hey.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

ronanmac wrote: »
    Hi folks, decided to do the first cycling leg and the Croagh Patrick climb yesterday as, as a first-timer, was a little bit anxious about the whole thing! Hope the description is of some use to fellow Gaelforce virgins!

Left south Conamara at 6.30, a fellow Gaelforcee in one car, me in another, left one car in the Mayo Mountain Rescue car park, heading back down to Delphi Mountain Resort where we parked and set off on the cycle.

About six miles in, we came to what I found was a pretty tough climb (my friend had more cycling training done, didn't find it as tough). The descent was not as simple as throwing yourself down the side of the hill either, as it's all blind bends and the occasional pothole, plus some gravel and rocks which I presume were swept on the road by the recent thunderstorms. There is another reasonably steep, but short, climb on this road, which is narrow and windy but with a decent surface. The course then turns left onto the main road into Westport, before turning left again towards the Reek. This is basically a bog road, again with a decent surface, but is a longish drag.

It took us 1 hour 30 to get to the carpark, where we put the two bikes into the car and headed up Croagh Patrick. The initial part is boggy, we set off running but my legs were like jelly after the cycle! We settled on walking reasonably quickly while jogging on any flatish section. Going up, my calves felt like someone had poured petrol on them and threw a match at them! Most of my training to date had been based on running, I thought that marathon training would leave me with enough fitness to get through Gaelforce. I definitely found the cycling tougher than I should, however, and suffered on the ascent because of that. So it's up on the bike this week for me! 35 minutes to the top.

A brief break on top, taking in the views on a rare clear day before heading down. I've never run down a mountain before so was looking forward to the descent. Threw myself down, finding that running on the loose scree was easier if slightly hairier. Got a stitch, I presume because my legs were not used to moving so quickly. 15 minutes down.

As for gear, I used a roadbike with regular tyres, will be upgrading the tyres for some puncture resistance. Wore cycling shorts for the climb as well as the bike, surprisingly unobtrusive. Hadn't bothered changing pedals on the bike so wore SPD's, with the runners in my backpack. Not sure if I will go this route for the actual race, might use the one pair of shoes for the whole thing. The runners, which I bought for Gaelforce, a pair of Soloman XA Pro 3D, were great on the climb, had tried them on the road before, and found them a bit harsh, short on cushioning. Misgivings were put aside after Saturday though.

That's it, hope it's of some use...

Ronan how much road running have you done , what distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katydaly

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to climb the reek this w/e July 18th (anyone else climbing?) but I was looking at the maps others have posted about the starting point of the climb and wanted to check where the starting point is.

I have climbed the reek once before and started at the base where the old man sells the sticks. Is this the correct starting point?

If someone could clarify it for me that would be great! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

katydaly wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping to climb the reek this w/e July 18th (anyone else climbing?) but I was looking at the maps others have posted about the starting point of the climb and wanted to check where the starting point is.

I have climbed the reek once before and started at the base where the old man sells the sticks. Is this the correct starting point?

Hi,

No that isn't the correct starting point, the GaelForce route goes up the back of the reek starting from the Mountain Rescue base.

I hope to climb this weekend too, we will be cycling from Delphi to it and giving it a go. We attempted that last week and were starting our climb on the bikes up to the base when one of the lads fell off and split his head, aint that right DDwport???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

katydaly wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Coming from Dublin side of westport, continue throught the town, following signs for CP, as you exit town,take left ( sign posted Clifden ) and then take the 1st right turn after that ( heading towards CP) Continue down this road for approx 2 miles, then you will see a graveyard on your left, take the left turn immediatetly after this, follow this road for approx another 2.5miles ( very narrow road ) until u reach a t-junction ( just after passing a school). Turn right at t-junction and follow this road up towards CP, after approx 2.5 miles, you will see the Mtn Rescue cabins on your right.

There's a few GPS maps in previous posts showing route to take up CP.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I presume KathyDaly is doing the not Gaelforce and not just inquiring about climbing the reek!
    If you want to run it from the "front" then bang away, it maybe best to try the GF track though which runs from the back as the lads say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Here is the point to start your Croagh Patrick climb:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.753564,-9.638851&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=53.753983,-9.638357&sspn=0.005747,0.014859&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17
    So there is a bib point here and another one at the top, how you get up and down by foot is up to you. I think zig zag up and try and cut a corner or two on the way down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Innov8s are also available in Amphibian King in bray, as far as I know. They are excellent shoes. I have 2 pairs.

The terraine on the first run section has got one technical climb and descent, but is mostly on road and fireroad. The second run (Kayak to Delphi) is half very stumpy boggy terraine, and half road. CP is about as technical as it gets in Ireland.

Hi folks,

Looking to get trail running shoes and a lot have you seem to have already purchased a pair. Its a toss up between the Inov-8 Mudrock/Mudclaw and the Salomon Speedcross 2's. I've tried the Inov-8's on and was very impressed with their light weight and sole but I can't find anywhere in Cork to try on the Speedcross 2's. I've tried Mahers and the Great Outdoors but no luck. Any other suggestions?

Cananyone who has purchased a pair of the Speedcross 2's give me their opinion also?

• Advertisement

How did anyone go in the Achill half marathon? I heard there was plenty of hills...

Enduro wrote: »
    Innov8s are also available in Amphibian King in bray, as far as I know. They are excellent shoes. I have 2 pairs.

The terraine on the first run section has got one technical climb and descent, but is mostly on road and fireroad. The second run (Kayak to Delphi) is half very stumpy boggy terraine, and half road. CP is about as technical as it gets in Ireland.

Hi enduro,

Hi have a pair of inov8 flyroc310 and im considering wearing them for gf6. The only thing is that im worried about the run section being on mostly road as i find they dont have enough cushioning when running on road for more than a few km.
    I have never seen the gf6 route and have heard differing roports on the terrain.
    Could you advise on what you think would be the correct footware as i am seriously considering on bringing the asics in the bag and deciding on the day.

Cheers

Hi Everyone.

Hope this helps,

Ok so i got the inov8 bag the other day and have to say they are excellent. The resevoir is wrapped around the waste and extreamly comfortable when running. The 12l capacity of the rucksac is more than enough for rain gear, some food and a medical kit. There are 2 pockets on the waste for storing food that are perfect for eating on the go.
    Defo recommend them, there lethal:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stary

Irishrm wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking to get trail running shoes and a lot have you seem to have already purchased a pair. Its a toss up between the Inov-8 Mudrock/Mudclaw and the Salomon Speedcross 2's. I've tried the Inov-8's on and was very impressed with their light weight and sole but I can't find anywhere in Cork to try on the Speedcross 2's. I've tried Mahers and the Great Outdoors but no luck. Any other suggestions?

Cananyone who has purchased a pair of the Speedcross 2's give me their opinion also?

Hi,

I recently invested in the Speedcross 2s. This is the first time I have used this type of running shoe but I am impressed so far. They are very light, the easy shoelace tie device is great and the best thing for me is the grip.
    Coming down steep wet hills in other shoes i always felt that I was holding back in case i slipped, but these shoes give you excellent confidence. As an extra recommendation may i suggest that you get some good trail running socks. I got some 1000 miles trail socks and they compliment them perfectly!

Hi enduro,

Hi have a pair of inov8 flyroc310 and im considering wearing them for gf6. The only thing is that im worried about the run section being on mostly road as i find they dont have enough cushioning when running on road for more than a few km.
    I have never seen the gf6 route and have heard differing roports on the terrain.
    Could you advise on what you think would be the correct footware as i am seriously considering on bringing the asics in the bag and deciding on the day.

Cheers

I can only tell you what I do, and let you decide if its relevant to your own personal criteria. I use Asics trail runners. They're a compromise between out-and out fell running shoes like the Innov8s, and road trainers. They have better grip and durability than road shoes, and better cushioning than fell runners, but not as good grip. They have enough grip for me to get by on (but I do all my training on road shoes in the mountains, so I've trained myself to deal with slippery conditions without too much grip), and enough cushioning for the trail/road section on GF. But I'd probably get away with running in the Innov8s if I wanted. I'm wearing them more and more these days, going along with the less is more theories on cushioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Enduro wrote: »
    I use Asics trail runners. They're a compromise between out-and out fell running shoes like the Innov8s, and road trainers. They have better grip and durability than road shoes, and better cushioning than fell runners, but not as good grip.
    Sure thats probably where you got your Boards.ie name:
    http://www.shoestation.com/shoestation/product.asp?pf_id=PAAAIAJIIMJDFBGF&s_id=0

Or perhaps (and congrats btw), they named a shoe after you?

:D I never knew!

Stary,

What is the cushioning like on the speedcross 2's on the road?

Anyone know of anywhere in Cork that stocks them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stary

Irishrm wrote: »
    Stary,

What is the cushioning like on the speedcross 2's on the road?

Anyone know of anywhere in Cork that stocks them?

Cushioning is light. You can feel the individual rubber grips on the sole when you strike the ground. Going up CP this wend for a recce and am interested to see how they preform on the loose rubble, especially on any sharp ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I used them on Sugar Bowl last night in the Leinster League and there were loads of rocks on that course at the top. Felt most of them coming through the soles:mad:
    Having said that I've not had any issues on other less rocky routes. Also, I've done a few 5 milers on tarmac with them and they were fine.

To summarise: I'll be wearing mine for the full course in Gaelforce.

Advertisement