Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stary

Stary wrote: »
    Cushioning is light. You can feel the individual rubber grips on the sole when you strike the ground. Going up CP this wend for a recce and am interested to see how they preform on the loose rubble, especially on any sharp ones!

Cycled from wport and did CP, finished coming back through stage 6. Wow it's a tough section!! Shoes felt great, just be careful on the descent, nearly twisted my ankle once or twice. Also, tie them tight as I (briefly) lost one in sticky ground on the run through the bog at the bottom of the descent! The cycle back was a great rush as it's fast and pretty dangerous!! Really enjoyed it. The weather was mostly wet mist/light rain and I discovered that I need a proper waterproof/breathable jacket for the event, can anyone recommend one? I'm presuming something gore-tex. I had a waterproof jacket on but the inside was wetter at the end, thus I was wet through and felt cold on the bike, which is not good. But yeah, great shoes, looking forward GF...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Drove the cycle last nite before I get back in training and get to cycle it.

Some nice corners up around Sheefry so once you hit the peak of the big long stretch of a climb watch yourselves coming down the far side as at the very bottom is a sharp right, miss it and you hit the barrier and land on your arse.

Also about another 1/4 mile further on is a sharp left, that again if hit at speed could be a dangerous one.

Nice climb from the turn off the main Westport - Leeaun road to the bottom of CP, never done the back of the reek yet, but I would say that it will kill the spirit once you see that in front of you!

Oh ya meant to say, on ALL routes beware of the sheep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cickimc

The day after the challenge there is a 5k run on in westport in the town
    So if anyone wants to get rid of some of the lactics

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stuffstuffstuff

Hi,

Have been reading all the posts on this thread, great stuff from everyone great way to pick up bits of info.

Have a question for those who have done GF6 before, what's the story with the list of required kit on the website? Is this a mandatory list or a suggestion? Does anyone actually check that you are carrying all that stuff?

Trying to figure out how big or small a bag I can get away with.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to leave bike shoes clipped onto the bike when it's taken to transition so that they don't need to be carried.

Thanks to everyone in advance and best of luck to all with the last few weeks of training. Heading to try the reek for the first time tomorrow should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Have a question for those who have done GF6 before, what's the story with the list of required kit on the website? Is this a mandatory list or a suggestion? Does anyone actually check that you are carrying all that stuff?

Yup it's mandatory. It's for your safety as well. I know that there's no way I would have brought a jacket if I didn't have to but it was freezing going up Croagh Patrick last year. I wore the jacket the whole way up and down. Pretty sure I kept it on for the cycle into Westport as well. Also, things like the waterproof trousers I didn't need in the end but if I had twisted my ankle and needed to wait an hour or more for help I would have got seriously cold.

They didn't check my bag last year but they do do spot-checks.
    Trying to figure out how big or small a bag I can get away with.

My bag is tiny. It's one of those camelbak hydration bags. I could still fit everything in though. I just don't fill the hydration bladder itself with 2 litres of water. I'd say I put maybe 500ml in the bladder and had two bottles on the bike. One with water and the other with Lucozade sport. (well, Lucozade sport was the plan, went into two supermarkets and they didn't have Lucozade so I went with Redbull. A bit mingin' and sickly sweet with a hint of cough syrup to it.
    Also does anyone know if it's possible to leave bike shoes clipped onto the bike when it's taken to transition so that they don't need to be carried.

Yup, no problem there. Put plastic bags around the shoes so that they're not soaked overnight (I presume you mean the Delphi transition where you leave the bikes on the Friday).

You can also leave your bike shoes clipped in when you climb Croagh Patrick.
    Thanks to everyone in advance and best of luck to all with the last few weeks of training. Heading to try the reek for the first time tomorrow should be interesting...

You know the Gaelforce route starts from the other side (not the normal car park). Doing either though is great practice and very worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

kwalshe wrote: »
    Ronan how much road running have you done , what distance?

Sorry for the slow response, just back from holidays where my training took a real hammering and am trying to remotivate myself to get going again before I lose all my hard-earned fitness!

As for how much road running I have done, I started the year with the Connemara half marathon, did a 10k in Edinburgh, and have started my Dublin marathon training now, did a slow 15 miler the other day.

As I said, I have to get back training again post-holidays, and am struggling mentally! Going up to Sligo this evening to watch Galway v Donegal, and will head out for a run when I get home if Galway win;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

HI,
    I plan on doing the stage of the GF this weekend, to see what its like, one less surprise on the day.

The start looks easy enough find from the map anyways, but when you are running it, is it easy follow the route? Or is it easy go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

few questions there on the CP climb.

actually did it yesterday ( not the GF route the regular route) after a 25 mile cyle. On the way up my lower back was well sore. is this something others have experienced while climbing it? I found i had to stop about 10 times on the way up just for a few seconds to straighten up and stretch the lower back b4 climbing again defintely cost me a few minutes. had a backpack but its a light one 10L plus i dont have a bad back normally maybe it was angle of my body going up the mountain??

also to get an idea how much shorter is the GF route v normal route? I know there are maps but it doenst mean much so if the main route is 770meters approx what is GF route? just want a rough idea to compare times. went up in 50 and down in 30

actually wore the speed cross 2's 4 the first time and they are v good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

seanie500 wrote: »
    On the way up my lower back was well sore. is this something others have experienced while climbing it? I found i had to stop about 10 times on the way up just for a few seconds to straighten up and stretch the lower back b4 climbing again defintely cost me a few minutes.
    I always had a pain free back but since I started doing long running distances over the past couple of years it's been killing me on and off. I've been to a physio but they gave me exercises that I never stuck with. (Just don't have the discipline for it!)
    I did 11 IMRA runs this year also and on a few of them I had to similarly stop and stretch on the ascents.
    If you get any better advice let me know!!
    seanie500 wrote: »
    if the main route is 770meters approx what is GF route? just want a rough idea to compare times. went up in 50 and down in 30
    They are good times for the front, but the distance sounds mush too short! The rear is at a higher altitude and begins closer to the mountain so I'd imagine the rear is approx 60% of the front approach, distance wise. Probably still a more intense climb though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Only thing i can think of is working on the lower back in the gym to strengthen it up. in my GF training to date i have being doing tough cycles and then 5-10k runs after with no back soreness. must admit my thigh muscles are still in bits 2 days later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The GF6 Croagh Patrick route joins the main route where it (the main route) flattens out and trends right before the final very steep climb up the scree cone.
    You're practised the hardest section of the GF6 route if you've done the pilgrim's route and have an easier descent to look forward to.
    The GF route veers off to the right on a shallower angled narrow path with a switchback halfway. The first year there was a control point on this U-turn point but not in subsequent years.
    Some competitors cut out this section of the path by running straight down to the transition point once they leave the main path and start heading off the back of the mountain. I like to follow the course as marked on the map as it's advertised as a non-navigation event but everyone IS remaining within the rules as advertised by cutting this corner.
    The route up from the kayak to the road towards Delphi is worth a recce, I saw about 4 different lines last year in use and presumably one of those is the best. It looked like sticking close enough to the shore line and heading for the first house you see was quicker then the higher line slightly further inland.
    bit of a confused ramble there, hope some of it is useful..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Peterx wrote: »
    The GF6 Croagh Patrick route joins the main route where it (the main route) flattens out and trends right before the final very steep climb up the scree cone.
    You're practised the hardest section of the GF6 route if you've done the pilgrim's route and have an easier descent to look forward to.
    The GF route veers off to the right on a shallower angled narrow path with a switchback halfway. The first year there was a control point on this U-turn point but not in subsequent years.
    Some competitors cut out this section of the path by running straight down to the transition point once they leave the main path and start heading off the back of the mountain. I like to follow the course as marked on the map as it's advertised as a non-navigation event but everyone IS remaining within the rules as advertised by cutting this corner.
    The route up from the kayak to the road towards Delphi is worth a recce, I saw about 4 different lines last year in use and presumably one of those is the best. It looked like sticking close enough to the shore line and heading for the first house you see was quicker then the higher line slightly further inland.
    bit of a confused ramble there, hope some of it is useful..

Thanks for the tips there Peter.

How did you find the Kayak part of it? ANy chance of falling out!!!! Scared stiff of water! :)

So after the kayak you think to stay tight to the shoreline until you reach a house? Then go left is it up the hill? Don't know the exact route so only guessing!!

The terrain is fields? or is it bogs?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Peter and myself co-piloted the kayak last year. The pair of us powered our way accross without a bother, and caught some time on the other boats in the water at the time. The kayaks are as easy to use as you'll get, and you'd have to work quite hard to fall out (but it can be done). You'll be wearing a lifejacket too, so there is nothing to be afraid of, even if by some chance you did fall out. I too would not be a fan of being dumped out of a kayak into the water, but its very unlikely to happen here.

There is no exact route for getting around to the road. Peter's description is as good as you'll get really. There is a very vague track which needs to be hunted out on the ground, and even that pretty much disappears towards the end. It just a matter of using common sense to find the best path for yourself. The terraine there is bogs followed by boggy fields, then road.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Just a quick question on bikes for the event.

Is it better to take your own bike, and more importantly, will it be safe until you reach it at the transition point or would it be better to avail of the hire facility which is of couse extra expense!!

I'm contemplating taking my own bike, mainly because i know it and i'm comfortable using it. Who knows what kind of wreckage you could be handed on registration.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Enduro wrote: »
    Peter and myself co-piloted the kayak last year. The pair of us powered our way accross without a bother, and caught some time on the other boats in the water at the time. The kayaks are as easy to use as you'll get, and you'd have to work quite hard to fall out (but it can be done). You'll be wearing a lifejacket too, so there is nothing to be afraid of, even if by some chance you did fall out. I too would not be a fan of being dumped out of a kayak into the water, but its very unlikely to happen here.

There is no exact route for getting around to the road. Peter's description is as good as you'll get really. There is a very vague track which needs to be hunted out on the ground, and even that pretty much disappears towards the end. It just a matter of using common sense to find the best path for yourself. The terraine there is bogs followed by boggy fields, then road.

Thanks Enduro. A few of us were on about going to Achill for a few hours to hire a kayak, but thanks though for the heads up all going well it will be nice!

Thats sound out about the track, intended to look at the route out there but something else came up.

Dare2be - It seems most of us are using our own bikes. The roads are okish so you would want to be comfortable with your bike.

Ok, I took a spin over to Killary with the family yesterday and did the Cruise along the Fjord. Great trip, we all enjoyed it. I also got to take in the area were we do the kayak section. All I say is I hope it won't be as windy as it was yesterday!! We drove back from Delphi along the scenic drive, aka the cycle stage. What struck me most was the road surface quality, not great to say the least. I am now seriously considering changing the tyres on the bike. What I would like to put on are some tyres with puncture protection and good to great grip. I am thinking of something like these (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24544). My tyre size is 700x25. I am new to cycling and a GF 'virgin', so can anyone tell me if they are as good as they sound or would there be a better choice out there? Much appreciated....S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I haven't used the Schwalbe but they look like they could roll through razed glasshouse with no difficulty. I can reccomend Continental Ultra Gator skins. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18800
    I've done nearly 2000k on my pair by this stage and i haven't a a puncture yet. You might want to check out the i thread for more info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055612767

TheBandit wrote: »
    I haven't used the Schwalbe but they look like they could roll through razed glasshouse with no difficulty. I can reccomend Continental Ultra Gator skins. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18800
    I've done nearly 2000k on my pair by this stage and i haven't a a puncture yet. You might want to check out the i thread for more info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055612767

Thanks TheBandit, Did you use these in GF? How are they going fast downhill on slippery roads? I would hate to fall off!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Went down last week to see what the route was like and I did Run 1 - took my time doing it and here are the resulting pics I took to give you all an idea of whats ahead - thats if the route wont change this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41055232@N07/sets/72157621937266356/

If you view the slideshow and hit 'show info' I've comments for each photo.
    I'll add in the Garmin course in the next day or so if anybody wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

keith123 wrote: »
    Went down last week to see what the route was like and I did Run 1 - took my time doing it and here are the resulting pics I took to give you all an idea of whats ahead - thats if the route wont change this year.

Super Photo's. Didn't realise how scenic the route was. I'd be interested in that Garmin course when you get it done. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

keith123 wrote: »

Excellent photos,ill definatly be using my trail runners after seeing the terraine involved.

Cheers

Excellent photos,ill definatly be using my trail runners after seeing the terraine involved.

Cheers

I think I will use a quad bike! :D

Great pics, really proves that I am potentially the biggest muppet to be attempting this, but hey probably best to collapse doing this as smoking 40 a day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Hi all,

Just looking for some quick advice if possible, was planning renting a hybrid bike for htis but have been training on oldish MTB. It's a denentish one so people have been telling me i'd be better to use the one been training on for the last few months..

Anyway i have fairly crap tyres on it but was thinking of maybe putting some slicks on it as i think this is the general consensus for the race, would someon think these ones as a good choice, slick MTB tyres, puncture resistant..and also will it make a big diff to me on the day having these ones?

PS - Great photos from Keith above,should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

GForcer1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for some quick advice if possible, was planning renting a hybrid bike for htis but have been training on oldish MTB. It's a denentish one so people have been telling me i'd be better to use the one been training on for the last few months..

Anyway i have fairly crap tyres on it but was thinking of maybe putting some slicks on it as i think this is the general consensus for the race, would someon think these ones as a good choice, slick MTB tyres, puncture resistant..and also will it make a big diff to me on the day having these ones?

PS - Great photos from Keith above,should be fun!

Im also using a hardtail MTB for gf6 and i was planning on using those exact tyres that you mentioned:)
    They got pretty good reviews on wiggle and are not that expensive so look like a good investment. When compared to renting a hybrid for 50 euro that could be a piece of crap and that you will not be used its a no brainer for me. Unless u plan on being extremely competitive that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Im also using a hardtail MTB for gf6 and i was planning on using those exact tyres that you mentioned:)
    They got pretty good reviews on wiggle and are not that expensive so look like a good investment. When compared to renting a hybrid for 50 euro that could be a piece of crap and that you will not be used its a no brainer for me. Unless u plan on being extremely competitive that is.

tks for the reply, also put same comment on cycling forum and got more ir less same replies so that's my mind made up, will get hold of those tyres anyway and put them on. Other problem i have is i have no quick change nuts, so in the event of a puncture, will be spanners to get wheel off but suppose it's a chance will have to take..

those tyres seem to be recommended anyway and as you say are not too expensive aswell so for someone at my level, should do the job and maybe give me a bit more speed over the road.

not planning on being extemely competivie, a finish will suffice!!..

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Yes, that sounds like a better option than an unknown hybrid. They will make quite a big difference on the road. The tyres look grand. Most MTB slicks are much of a muchness really. Make sure to pump up the tyres really really really hard. That will make them both faster and more puncture resistant (at the expense of grip, but you've already sarcificed that by putting on slicks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

this might seem like a dumb question so apologies in advance. Thank you to all for great advice, my question is , when I buy a tyre i.e. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwalbe_Land_Crusier_ATB_Tyre/5360042609/ is that for one tyre or a set?
    Never bought tyres before so just unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Ra1ph wrote: »
    Super Photo's. Didn't realise how scenic the route was. I'd be interested in that Garmin course when you get it done. Thanks.

Here you go http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10525300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

didn't actually check your link - most tyres are sold singly, as with most things you can get a bundle deal but usually sold by the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

has anyone bought, or tried out any bags yet?

Advertisement