Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stary

richiemack wrote: »
    has anyone bought, or tried out any bags yet?

Bought this one. Went for a 10k run and 30k cycle with it at the wend. Wouldn't know it was there other than the sound of liquid sloshing around behind you! Excellent bag, very comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Stary wrote: »
    Wouldn't know it was there other than the sound of liquid sloshing around behind you!

After you fill the bladder turn it upside down and suck all the air out of it, will be silent then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

This maybe a question for Enduro or PeterX...
    I'll also be taking part in GFW and after totting up all the constituent sectors I've set a priority 1 target of 5hrs and a priority 2 target of 4.5 hrs.

So...planning on a normal small backpack for snacks, waterproof jacket and whistle. Will be completing the course in pair of Solomon x2s, using a good light racer. I will have two bottles of water on the bike and this should be enough to see me through, therefore no water in my bag.
    Never kayaked before but it seems this is relatively straightforward.
    Have completed a few 25km+ cycles, 2 of which were from Santry over to Howth and up over the summit before returning to Santry so I have practiced with hills (This 33km route with a major hill(!) took 1.5hrs).
    I've done 11 IMRA races, so know what's to be expected with CP. Was planning to go straight up & down to/from the shoulder as opposed to using the out of way zig-zag (Do you think this is foolish?).
    Plan to carry my bike over the 400m-odd of rough terrain.

Now please telly me of any areas of folly from above...Better to know now than after the race!! Based on this kind of info do you think 5hrs would be a realistic aim??

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

try this cycle route from mapmyride.com http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/429780680 and go anti clockwise (25 to 20 marker etc)

lots of tough hills on it done this a good few times with a heavy mountainbike its great training for the cycling part of GF in my opinion!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Enduro

belcarra wrote: »
    This maybe a question for Enduro or PeterX...
    I'll also be taking part in GFW and after totting up all the constituent sectors I've set a priority 1 target of 5hrs and a priority 2 target of 4.5 hrs.

So...planning on a normal small backpack for snacks, waterproof jacket and whistle. Will be completing the course in pair of Solomon x2s, using a good light racer. I will have two bottles of water on the bike and this should be enough to see me through, therefore no water in my bag.
    Never kayaked before but it seems this is relatively straightforward.
    Have completed a few 25km+ cycles, 2 of which were from Santry over to Howth and up over the summit before returning to Santry so I have practiced with hills (This 33km route with a major hill(!) took 1.5hrs).
    I've done 11 IMRA races, so know what's to be expected with CP. Was planning to go straight up & down to/from the shoulder as opposed to using the out of way zig-zag (Do you think this is foolish?).
    Plan to carry my bike over the 400m-odd of rough terrain.

Now please telly me of any areas of folly from above...Better to know now than after the race!! Based on this kind of info do you think 5hrs would be a realistic aim??

Thanks in advance.

Keep the snacks to a minimum (Personally I'd bring one gel for emergencies and not expect to use it, but then that's just me and most people wouldn't manage that).

It would be a good idea to kayak once before the race, preferably in a sit-on-top, just to be sure of the basics. If there is 2 of you in a boat who've never kayaked before (not unlikely), then you'll waste time figuring out the basics, and possibly waste a lot more time because ye can't steer well in crosswinds.

You should be able to cycle all the rough uphill. Be you're own judge on the day of when you need to get off going downhill, but aim to get back on ASAP.

If you're target time is 5 hours I'd hazard a guess that it would be faster for you to change to bike shoes at transitions onto bike, and back to the solomons for the runs. That's presuming you have a proper clipless pedal/shoe combo, and are used to using them properly.

I don't know your running speed, but so far I see no reason why 5 hours wouldn't be possible.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response Enduro.
    To gauge my mountain running time i was about 140% of your times for the last few races. On the flat road my 10km pb from Phoenix park is 48mins.
    Don't have the clipless pedal so will be using the wraparound clip thingys for over the toe box.

I think 5hrs should be achievable...:)

One final question: Does anyone have a garmin record of the full course? And if I import this onto my Garmin 305, is there still a need to bring a compass? I assume not...??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think there was a garmin route floating about. But I think you will be ok as the route is pretty identifiable and also there will be a lot of people on the course.

I see the email arrived with the details of the wave times etc. Hope to get in the runner/jogger or the first separate jogger stage.

Not sure out side of the mandatory kit what the "survival bag" is.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

is there still a need to bring a compass? I assume not...??
    does anyone even know how to use a compass?

I didn't get any email yet...:eek:

I'll panic if it's still not with me by Monday next I guess!

does anyone even know how to use a compass?
    You begin by licking your finger and sticking it in the air, and everyone know the wind always travels in a Northerly direction so point the N of the compass towards your finger! Et voila, North!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I didn't get any email yet...:eek:

I'll panic if it's still not with me by Monday next I guess!

Another of the lads didn't either. Wouldn't panic, there are 2500 of us so probably going out in batches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

ok heres the scéal.. i've never kayaked before and don't own a bike. But I used to run a fair amount back in the day and I reckon I still have a 35min 10k in me..well maybe;)
    Not worried bout the kayaking since its such a small part of the overall race.

i've set myself an ambitious(ridiculous??) target time of 4h30

Got a loan of a bike for the last few weeks and have done some nice cycles through the dublin mountains. I'm no Lance Armstrong but happy enough with my cycling ability atm.

Going bike shopping this weekend. Can anyone recommend any bike shops in Dublin? I presume i'll be needing a decent racer to achieve my target time? Or if I was to hire a bike would that do the job or would it be a rust bucket.

Sorry if these are stupid questions or have been answered already but how strict are they on the mandatory kit? I plan on bringing as little as possible. (water + rain jacket)

And is the course well marked or is it just follow the leader and hope you're going the right way!??

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Pick up times for the buses, so would guess start times be 30-40 mins after?

Wave 1 0530 - RED - Elite/Runner
    Wave 2 0600 -
    BLUE - Elite/Runner & Runner
    Wave 3 0630 -
    GREEN - Runner
    Wave 4 0700 - YELLOW - Runner & Jogger
    Wave 5 0730 - BLACK - Jogger
    Wave 6 0800 - WHITE - Jogger
    Wave 7 0830 -
    PINK - Jogger & Walker
    Wave 8 0900 -
    GREY - Walker

Anyone any idea what a survival bag is??.

Does anyone have a garmin record of the full course? And if I import this onto my Garmin 305, is there still a need to bring a compass? I assume not...??

Link from a previous post ( Stary i think ) of the route but i dont think getting lost will be an issue..2.5k people doing it so should be well marked out, and in my case plenty of other peoples tracks to follow anyway..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308309

from the email they sent out this afternoon, it seems there is some cycling on open roads, i.e. not all the course will be closed road, didn't know that..

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

GForcer1 wrote: »

Wave 1 0530 - RED - Elite/Runner
    Wave 2 0600 -
    BLUE - Elite/Runner & Runner
    Wave 3 0630 -
    GREEN - Runner
    Wave 4 0700 - YELLOW - Runner & Jogger
    Wave 5 0730 - BLACK - Jogger
    Wave 6 0800 - WHITE - Jogger
    Wave 7 0830 -
    PINK - Jogger & Walker
    Wave 8 0900 -
    GREY - Walker

it says to check the website for your wave, theres no info on the website though...hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

GForcer1 wrote: »

Survival bag is one of those foil space blankets but it's a bag as opposed to a sheet. Very tiny folded up.

Start time is probably more like an hour after the bus time as they have to get several buses there and let off the competitors and there's maybe a 1k or 2k walk to the beach.

I'd say the later waves will be delayed a bit (or maybe they've divided it up equally?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

it says to check the website for your wave, theres no info on the website though...hmmm

Its total BS also that they say you can't change your start time. They are also not going to mind your climbing boots this time. They are getting lax about the whole thing.

Personally I will be disappointed if don't start the same time as my mates that I've been training with. There should be an option to change your start times... it really isn't that difficult to have an interactive list on their site where you could click beside your name and say you want to switch from group A to group B. Then the next person who wants to do the same but in the opposite direction could take you up on that offer - simple and easy, they must have everything on pen and paper or excel sheets...

Anyway, no sign of the times yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Attached link to start times in excel format
    Or
    Googledocs one here:http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tT64MolFIoTX0l8E4dhAv9w&output=html

[edit]Not disappointed, I got lucky with the waves[/edit]

At least myself and most of my mates are on the same bus, not too bad! :)

One though is on a later bus, the pink one , the big girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Myself and 3 friends who are doing Gaelforce are not staying in Westport the night before, we have a b&b just up the road from the start. I presume its ok just to arrive at the start, you dont have to get into Westport to get the bus back out?? Are they strict about what wave you start in? Have no idea if we're all going to start together as we havent recieved any e-mails from them yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Holy sh*t didn't realise we were starting this early.
    I'm on the blue bus, 6am :eek:

mattym wrote: »
    Myself and 3 friends who are doing Gaelforce are not staying in Westport the night before, we have a b&b just up the road from the start. I presume its ok just to arrive at the start, you dont have to get into Westport to get the bus back out?? Are they strict about what wave you start in? Have no idea if we're all going to start together as we havent recieved any e-mails from them yet

You have to inform them that you are not going on the buses, all the details are in the email you were sent there today.

They say on the site you can't change wave "NB: There are absolutely no changes to waves or categories"

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Cheers for that Yop. So i suppose i'll have a lonely run without my training buddies, poor me!!!!!:(:(:(

VR46 wrote: »
    Holy sh*t didn't realise we were starting this early.
    I'm on the blue bus, 6am :eek:

That gives you a lie-in...I'm on at bloody 5:30! Really regretting choosing the elite group rather than the walker group....!
    What was I thinking!:eek:

start early, finish early = more time for nice afternoon session in Westport!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

Wave information is up on the GF website - it is on the homepage - you just have to scroll down a bit to get it - so easy to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

Ah there is nothing like stuffing your face with grub at 5.30 in morning, on the blue bus..6.00:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Enduro

VR46 wrote: »
    Going bike shopping this weekend. Can anyone recommend any bike shops in Dublin? I presume i'll be needing a decent racer to achieve my target time? Or if I was to hire a bike would that do the job or would it be a rust bucket.

Sorry if these are stupid questions or have been answered already but how strict are they on the mandatory kit? I plan on bringing as little as possible. (water + rain jacket)

And is the course well marked or is it just follow the leader and hope you're going the right way!??

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

I work in Freewheel cycles in Arnotts in Dublin. I'll be there all day saturday if you want to call in a talk about bikes. A hire bike will be nowhere near as good any road bike you'd buy yourself.

Follow the leader should work absolutely fine this year, especially considering the numbers taking part. Its also pretty well marked out on the ground (I found the route without problems last year with no-one to follow for most of the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

got the yellow start time bit of a b#lls been put in with the runners!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

on the green bus - happy enough with that. I'll just have to get a few early runs in now :eek:

Advertisement