Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

GForcer1 wrote: »
    Link from a previous post ( Stary i think ) of the route but i dont think getting lost will be an issue..2.5k people doing it so should be well marked out, and in my case plenty of other peoples tracks to follow anyway..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308309

from the email they sent out this afternoon, it seems there is some cycling on open roads, i.e. not all the course will be closed road, didn't know that..

Thats not GF, thats Achill

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Sniipe wrote: »
    Thats not GF, thats Achill

Here is the full course for all the Garmin lovers!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6526676

As in a previous post I did Run 1 last week and there's pics here of it if your interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41055232@N07/sets/72157621937266356/

heh, thats my garmin [edit]SLOW[/edit] run :)

Is it possible for me to use that run on my garmin 305 and ghost it? IE see if I'm beating myself from last year?

yeah just use Virtual Partner

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

Hey guys, anyone any ideas for accommodation in westport for the fri and say night. i have some myself but friends left it too late and now having awful trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

gizmo73 wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone any ideas for accommodation in westport for the fri and say night. i have some myself but friends left it too late and now having awful trouble.

Camping at Westport house! Tenner per person. Pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

keith123 wrote: »
    As in a previous post I did Run 1 last week and there's pics here of it if your interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41055232@N07/sets/72157621937266356/

Got chased by that same dog you photographed when we did the run yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

ok folks so we have 12 days left (including today) or approx 276 hours till the big event. What kinda of training are you folks gonna put in between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

racso1975 wrote: »
    ok folks so we have 12 days left (including today) or approx 276 hours till the big event. What kinda of training are you folks gonna put in between now and then?

I`m just heading training now, up into hills on bike, off the bike for a 10km run then back on bike for 15km. I`ll do two more hard days between now and this sunday and that will be more or less it then, next week just do some light work to tick over.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Out on the bike yesterday for a 30-miler, some of it through the Cooley Mountains which i thought was quite similar to what we shall be doing. I'll do another couple of these with some 10/12k runs in between.

Competed in a 12k on Tuesday night and even managed to shade 2 mins off my PB.

One thing i'm disappointed with is my wave allocation. I'm on the bloody pink bus at 8.30am. I would have rathered been off sooner but not much can be done about that i'm afraid. I would say the course shall be pretty cut up by the time i get round.

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Got chased by that same dog you photographed when we did the run yesterday.

I just hope its locked up for the race - my mate who's doing this with me is terrified of dogs. Now I know its only a little thing but it might make him do a pick up here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭notsobadinc

hi guys
    just wanted a few opinions the tyres that ye are using for gf. thinking of getting puncture resistant but is there any need for this. im still a newbie to road bikes but the last thing anyone wants is a puncture.
    any advise???
    cheers

I just hope its locked up for the race - my mate who's doing this with me is terrified of dogs. Now I know its only a little thing but it might make him do a pick up here :)

he went to bite me I thought when the owner came out and gave him a belt... he upped our pace a nice bit anyways thats for sure.

I should have looked at your pics in more detail before doing that run yesterday, we used the map off the Gael force site, and went a bit wrong, we missed the turn off for the 1st off road section (we saw it but kept going, thinking that was the wrong one) and ended up running an extra 2km by the time we got back on track, then we went wrong again near the end, we stayed on the road all the way back down to kayak transition point, we added a few extra KMs, it was good training though.

Will there be marshals on the day or will it be well sign posted?

hi guys
    just wanted a few opinions the tyres that ye are using for gf. thinking of getting puncture resistant but is there any need for this. im still a newbie to road bikes but the last thing anyone wants is a puncture.
    any advise???
    cheers

Get the GP 4000 S from Slane Cycles - 30 Euro each; there normally 43 elsewhere.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    he went to bite me I thought when the owner came out and gave him a belt... he upped our pace a nice bit anyways thats for sure.

I should have looked at your pics in more detail before doing that run yesterday, we used the map off the Gael force site, and went a bit wrong, we missed the turn off for the 1st off road section (we saw it but kept going, thinking that was the wrong one) and ended up running an extra 2km by the time we got back on track, then we went wrong again near the end, we stayed on the road all the way back down to kayak transition point, we added a few extra KMs, it was good training though.

Will there be marshals on the day or will it be well sign posted?

Never did it before but I'd imagine it wil be as it' easy to go the wrong way.

Question for everyone especially the people who did this last year.

For the kayak section did you take off your runners and do it bare foot or did you keep your runners on and got them wet?

I'm just worried that if I dont take the runners off and they get wet, that my feet will get blisters once I hit crough patrick - especially on the downhill.

My idea at the moment is to get a hydration back pack and put my runners in it when I'm kayaking and then use a mini towel when I get off it to dry my feet and continue on.

Help me out here people what you think ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Can anybody recomend a good climb round dublin similiar level to Croagh patrick?

need a hard climb b4 sat week:D

Thanks

Never did it before but I'd imagine it wil be as it' easy to go the wrong way.

very easy to go wrong, we were sure we followed the right route. But we know the way now anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The route of the off road runs is generally unmarked and it's easy to miss the sharp right turn over a fence coming down the first offroad descent of the initial run. There is usually a marshall on the road directing back down to the kayak transition which is usually a time out point. With the numbers this year they may have marshalls everywhere to save on the time and effort of finding people later:)

You may as well keep your shoes on in the kayak as the following bogrun will wet them.

The closest thing near Dublin to the Croagh Patrick climb would be the Sugar loaf from Kilmacanogue, another useful climb would be from Taylors 3 rock to the Masts on 3 rock.
    If you just wish to practice on the same underfoot conditions as the CP cone then climb the Sugar Loaf from the Calary (Roundwood) side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Peterx wrote: »
    The closest thing near Dublin to the Croagh Patrick climb would be the Sugar loaf from Kilmacanogue, another useful climb would be from Taylors 3 rock to the Masts on 3 rock.
    If you just wish to practice on the same underfoot conditions as the CP cone then climb the Sugar Loaf from the Calary (Roundwood) side.

sweet thanks for that

must try that so one of the evenings cant wait!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Going off topic slightly but where abouts is the actual race start? I know we are being bused out to it but i'm just nosey!!!!

Are you doing it this year PeterX?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Not yet, I had hopes of being busy with hillrunning but ran like a pancake on Saturday so am available.
    I will be batting my eyelashes in a Westerly direction forthwith:P

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

are there going to be any water stops at all along the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

tonite done 15km cycle / 7km run / 6 km cycle / 4.5km hill/trail run / 16km cycle..

rest tomorrow, maybe 20k run / 30k cycle Wed & Thur, same as above Fri and rest and small runs / cycle for last week to tick over..that's me then!

Anyone know where to buy saloman speedcross 2's in or near galway

richiemack wrote: »
    are there going to be any water stops at all along the way?

No unfortunately

Wiggle delivered mine in two days!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Salomon_SpeedCross_2_Shoes/5360031844/

Question for everyone especially the people who did this last year.

For the kayak section did you take off your runners and do it bare foot or did you keep your runners on and got them wet?

I'm just worried that if I dont take the runners off and they get wet, that my feet will get blisters once I hit crough patrick - especially on the downhill.

My idea at the moment is to get a hydration back pack and put my runners in it when I'm kayaking and then use a mini towel when I get off it to dry my feet and continue on.

Help me out here people what you think ??
    Get yourself a pair of 1000 mile socks. I had a spare pair at my bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

I just got a pair in the Great Outdoors on Friday - worked out less than 100 euro as they gave me a discount for being an IMRA member. Think you can get far better deals online - but I just didn't have the patience to wait and wanted to break them in over the w/e.

I am very happy with them - did a good run up near three rock and they provided excellent grip and balance. Very light too :)

Advertisement