Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say I went into a shop and realised I'd forgotten my money

• 05-05-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Would it be possible for me to pay by telling the cashier my credit card details?

Comments

Blowjobs generally work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

Depends on how nice the cashier is.

It is possible to charge a card by typing in the numbers, yes, so long as you know your CC number and the CVV(security code)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not a good idea to tell anybody your CC details .The whole idea of putting it into check out machine is to show up as correct pin number .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Was it a local shop for local people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Gone are the days when "ah sure, I'll get ya another time, I'll see ya tomorrow" was common. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ruu wrote: »
    Gone are the days when "ah sure, I'll get ya another time, I'll see ya tomorrow" was common. :(

My local shop is actually great for that. I've been let off as much as a fiver. Even when it was operating under the Centra banner they were still very good in that respect. The surprising thing is that the staff are generally young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Would it be possible for me to pay by telling the cashier my credit card details?

Are you in the shop now on your mobile, desperately waiting for an answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Depends on the company/shop, alot of places only have the card reading machine. Some places have access to online methods of charging cards (ie when you ring up NTL to pay a bill, or pay your Eflow over the phone).

We can charge peoples cards over the phone where i work, if we get the details off them and ring the merchant line, we can punch in the numbers and it'll verify it for us over the phone.

But in short, most shops would tell you to fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Blowjobs generally work

True. But what if it's a female cashier?
    Diarmaid07 wrote: »
    It is possible to charge a card by typing in the numbers, yes, so long as you know your CC number and the CVV(security code)

Ok, so no actual need to stick the card into a machine or anything.
    An File wrote: »
    ibtl...

What is the manner of this phaggotry, sir?
    Latchy wrote: »
    Not a good idea to tell anybody your CC details .The whole idea of putting it into check out machine is to show up as correct pin number .

Oh. Well, do you have to verbally tell the cashier, can't you input the details yourself?
    Insurgent wrote: »
    Was it a local shop for local people?

I haven't seen you before... Are you a local?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 tiger325

sometimes they want to see id..depening upon the cashier but yes it can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

In my local Superquinn at the self service check out - standing beside my landlady chatting, when I realised I had no cash on me. Left me stuff at the check-out & nipped over to the atm only to discover I had no f*ckin cash in the bank either. Fukkin scerlet I was, had to leg it out the door.

Are you in the shop now on your mobile, desperately waiting for an answer?

Yes. I'm embroiled in a row with the cashier. She's threatening to call the police.
    Depends on the company/shop, alot of places only have the card reading machine. Some places have access to online methods of charging cards (ie when you ring up NTL to pay a bill, or pay your Eflow over the phone).

We can charge peoples cards over the phone where i work, if we get the details off them and ring the merchant line, we can punch in the numbers and it'll verify it for us over the phone.

But in short, most shops would tell you to fcuk off

Same, I could charge people over the phone in a job I used to have. Just needed the card details, expiry date, etc.

What's the problem with just giving them your details - why would most places tell you to fuk off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Youd be pretty stupid to do that...

Id take your details pay for the item my self go home log into a pay pall put 500.00 down.. or what ever amount I could...

from there id scam what ever i could out of your credit card leaving you with a nice bill... :)

Smart Bug wrote: »
    In my local Superquinn at the self service check out - standing beside my landlady chatting, when I realised I had no cash on me. Left me stuff at the check-out & nipped over to the atm only to discover I had no f*ckin cash in the bank either. Fukkin scerlet I was, had to leg it out the door.

Should have tried a blowjob.

Wait.

Id take your details pay for the item my self go home log into a pay pall put 500.00 down.. or what ever amount I could...

from there id scam what ever i could out of your credit card leaving you with a nice bill... :)

I should have said "Giving the details". I wouldn't have to actual verbally tell her my details.

But wouldn't your suggestion be very risky - I'd know it was probably you, and you could end up doing jail time.

I should have said "Giving the details". I wouldn't have to actual verbally tell her my details.

But wouldn't your suggestion be very risky - I'd know it was probably you, and you could end up doing jail time.

with any credit card there's a risk, thats a pretty extream way of doing it...
    I could how ever knock 20 here 10 here 20 there over a month under 50 and you probably wouldnt notice ...

what do you do with your c/c statements out of curiosity ? :)

with any credit card there's a risk, thats a pretty extream way of doing it...
    I could how ever knock 20 here 10 here 20 there over a month under 50 and you probably wouldnt notice ...

I actually don't have a credit card. I'm just curious if it's possible, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

My pub is great for that. Most I ever let it go to was 60 but they didnt care. Ya can take a week or two ta pay back also. Someone I know owes well over 100 for the last month but keeps on topping it up. Thats a bit much but they know they will get it back.

I actually don't have a credit card. I'm just curious if it's possible, that's all.
    Hmmmm .......the plot thickens ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

javaboy wrote: »
    My local shop is actually great for that. I've been let off as much as a fiver. Even when it was operating under the Centra banner they were still very good in that respect. The surprising thing is that the staff are generally young.

I assume you had the decency to pay the fiver back at a later date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

And I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are not in any shop right now...

Saibh wrote: »
    And I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are not in any shop right now...

I don't even have an interweb.

This whole post is a web of lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

javaboy wrote: »
    I've been let off as much as a fiver.

My own personal record is 30 euro worth of unleaded petrol in a garage I go to about once a fortnight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

True. But what if it's a female cashier?

Ask her to give you one instead

duno bout you but I thoroughly check and make sure I'm happy with every last cent on my cc and whether it should be there or not

bluewolf wrote: »
    duno bout you but I thoroughly check and make sure I'm happy with every last cent on my cc and whether it should be there or not

great and glad to hear it but there are some people who dont :)

the same way as some people chuck out there esb bill :) or a bank state ment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I went into a shop and realised I'd forgotten my money

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Better still tell them someone elses credit card details.

Has anybody ever gone into a supermarket or store , picked up an item you forgot you had ,then ( mistakenly ) without paying walked out ? :eek:

I have but I always went back and paid it .

I think it's like you forget were you are at the moement or what your doing or maybe it's just me ?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Has anybody ever gone into a supermarket or store , picked up an item you forgot you had ,then ( mistakenly ) without paying walked out ? :eek:

I just walked out of Eason's about an hour and a half ago with three books in the crook of my arm. Was about 10 feet away from the shop and went to get my mobile. It took me a second to figure out why I didn't have enough arms to get my mobile, then had to turn around, go back and queue for about 10 minutes to pay for the bloody things.

Thoie wrote: »
    I just walked out of Eason's about an hour and a half ago with three books in the crook of my arm. Was about 10 feet away from the shop and went to get my mobile. It took me a second to figure out why I didn't have enough arms to get my mobile, then had to turn around, go back and queue for about 10 minutes to pay for the bloody things.
    Yeah amazing isn't it ? Now imagine trying to explain that to an over zelaous security guard or store dectective ?

Amazing how the brain seems to remind you that you have , or are just about to leave store without paying

Of course shop door alarms are the best wake up call of all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Isn't all the credit card information on the merchant copy of the cc receipt anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

I filled the car in a petrol station half way between Cork and Dublin when I realised I had no wallet.

I explained to the owner and he said he couldn't take card details,, I have them memorised. He said that the risk element is the shopkeeper can be liable if the signature on a non chip and pin isn't verified in store. He just asked me for my drivers license and said post the money or drop it in on my way past.

I posted up cash in registered envelope, with self addressed stamped envelope and got license back a few days later.

At the end of the day, it's really at the discretion of the shop worker. They need to decide the risk when looking at you. Thank God it was Sunday and I had my Mass clothes on lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Still there for certain shops where the owners know their regulars of 20+ years... Which is handy enough I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Any of the local shops or pubs around here will let you pay another time if you forget your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ScumLord wrote: »
    Any of the local shops or pubs around here will let you pay another time if you forget your money.

am in local shop at least once a day, have been let of a few times for stuff of around a fiver or less, usual responce, pay it next time your in, come to me, etc

Myggel wrote: »
    I filled the car in a petrol station half way between Cork and Dublin when I realised I had no wallet.

I explained to the owner and he said he couldn't take card details,, I have them memorised. He said that the risk element is the shopkeeper can be liable if the signature on a non chip and pin isn't verified in store. He just asked me for my drivers license and said post the money or drop it in on my way past.

I posted up cash in registered envelope, with self addressed stamped envelope and got license back a few days later.

You were driving around without your licence? :confused:

Isn't all the credit card information on the merchant copy of the cc receipt anyway?

usealy its ****************8967

you need the important bits like

expiry date and the number on the back then you got something as well as card number and name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

For an hour and a half. Never use car mid week in Dublin. One of the smaller crimes to go undetected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Did you forget your credit card as well? Or are the details burned into your brain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

usealy its ****************8967

you need the important bits like

expiry date and the number on the back then you got something as well as card number and name....

no.

Thats the customer copy. The merchant copy has everything in case someone tries to reverse a transaction or it backs out for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You only need the credit card number and expiry date for typing in, but I doubt anyone would do this for you without seeing the card. Very dodgy, since it doesn't even require the security number.

Correct, your entire credit card number comes up on the merchant copy. It would have to, really. It doesn't come up on the customer's for safety reasons and ease of disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's not completely gone.
    I live in a small enough town and am well known in the local shops.
    One of the guys in my local off licence often lets me go if I forget to bring enough money. He knows I'll be back anyway.

The local butcher gives stuff on tick. Never availed of it myself, but I know it's there. Same with the newsagent.

The local pub will give tick to regulars (the ones who live there). One night the closest ATM was out of order and we were given tick because all the bar staff know us and know we'll pay the money back.

I have but I always went back and paid it .

I think it's like you forget were you are at the moement or what your doing or maybe it's just me ?? :D
    Sometimes I'll put something in my pocket if my hands are full.
    I've forgotten to take it back out and pay for it until after I've walked out.
    I'll always go back in though.

Terry wrote: »

Sometimes I'll put something in my pocket if my hands are full.
    I've forgotten to take it back out and pay for it until after I've walked out.
    I'll always go back in though.
    I have done that and it's just absent mindness .Thankfully I have never had to to explain myself to anybody as to why .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

walshb wrote: »
    I assume you had the decency to pay the fiver back at a later date?

5 minutes later actually.

Advertisement