Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies Day Exam

• 05-05-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Any one have their's yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

The practical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 2HFaber-Castell

Ya the practical exam..im dreading it to be honest with u like cos theres a lot of pressure on it

I know theres a dovetail on it and some drilling. Thats all though anyone do it today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

are u sure theres a dovetail? the engineering is piss easy im told by my friends, have it friday!

We were told we would need a sliding bevel so I'm assuming we need to do a dovetail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I've mine tomorrow....Yeah there is a dovetail and probly a mortice and tennon as you need a mortice chisel....the pieces seem very small compared to other years?

Had mine today. It was pretty tough. A lot harder than any other ones I've done. There is 2 half dovetails, 4 mortise and tenons holes drilled for dowel,4 screws. It's a "music stand".My joints fitted perfectly so I was very happy but was still a very tough exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cocomk1

wat do u mean by 2 ''half'' dovetails......sound

The usual dovetail is that you cut out 2 big pieces in the middle and have 3 smaller pieces left and vise-versa then. Whereas on this the pieces are much thinner so you just take one bit out of the middle of your base piece. Complicated enough i thought. Must do one on each end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

im sh it at practical! im gonna fcuk it up!:mad:

• Advertisement

ooohhh so tis like a finger joint....im so dreading this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

has anyone got a picture of it or a drawing no?? any basic layout atal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mul07

I got mine together but it wasnt square and and the dovetail was done shockingly bad by me! i thought it was very hard compred to the ones i've practised makking on in the past! how did all your projects finish like?? any guess on whats coming up on the paper this year ? :P i know u values and sustainability are on nearly every year

Heard something about solar energy. Any idea's on question 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

i have a feeling the eaves of a pitched roof could come up on question 1. . or the head and bottom of a window. . anyone who did the practical, do you have to add any detail of your own to the piece ? like a stopped shanfer ? i hope i spelled that right =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Mul07 wrote: »
    I got mine together but it wasnt square and and the dovetail was done shockingly bad by me! i thought it was very hard compred to the ones i've practised makking on in the past! how did all your projects finish like?? any guess on whats coming up on the paper this year ? :P i know u values and sustainability are on nearly every year

whats sustainability ? :o

awhir wrote: »
    whats sustainability ? :o

Re-doing an old house and the likes is it? Make it stronger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

No. Sustainability is building with the future in mind. Pretty broad. Anything from the town layout side of things to eco houses, timber framed houses.

My practical was diabolical. Started rushing at the end (i know, terrible idea) and ended up splitting a piece. Didn't get it together fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

i have a feeling the eaves of a pitched roof could come up on question 1. . or the head and bottom of a window. . anyone who did the practical, do you have to add any detail of your own to the piece ? like a stopped shanfer ? i hope i spelled that right =P

yea there is one edge that you do yourself. i just put a stopped chamfer on it

Done my practical today...got it finished in the end...things to watch out for;.dovetail joints are at a slope, so is the top rail which is a mortise and tenon..9mm drill bit needed for dowell...must use a spokeshave to round the edges of 2 side pieces..drill dholes first once u have everything marked out outherwise the piece will split easily..happed to loads of people in my class today

• Advertisement

What kind of projects are people doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

eeek it sounds hard enough . . . how hard are the sloping joints ?

yeah what kind of projects did people make ? i made a jewellery box =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 boiracer

yeh i did a timber frame dwelling with a truss roof. Turned out pretty well!!
    Day practical 2morrow pricking it. ment to be mad hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

done mine today , went allright , just the dovedail dident fit very tightly , not bad for my first year doing woodwork/construction :) . I made a cross section of a house (looks like a box :( ) .

anyone have any sample briefs ? really stuck at the brief dont have a clue what to write about:(

I did a timber frame wall with Eaves setail. Turned out pretty well. Hoping dor a high B in Construction,

i hated the practical...found it very tough...under alot of pressure to get it finished...barley got it finished as i had to quickley throw together the dowel and back etc>..
    I did a research project on planning permission...didint really like doing it..im just glad its all over really....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i made a rocking chair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 djasmith

I've got mine tomorrow 9.30 til 1.00. Bringing in all my own chisels and dovetail saw etc but not looking forward to it if its as tough as it sounds from the above...... a mortise and tenon at the angle?? thats gonna be a pain...

djasmith wrote: »
    I've got mine tomorrow 9.30 til 1.00. Bringing in all my own chisels and dovetail saw etc but not looking forward to it if its as tough as it sounds from the above...... a mortise and tenon at the angle?? thats gonna be a pain...
    You only got 3 and a half hours? Best of luck everyone else had 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Are most of the marks going on the assemling of the project??

Advertisement