Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies Day Exam

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

Anyone got pics of their projects ?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you only have to make three pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Overature wrote: »

hmmm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 djasmith

Overature wrote: »

you sure?? I had about 9 when i finished it..... maybe you read the drawing wrong?? :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

U have ti make a music stand. its simialr to the practical they had last year i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Just done mine today. Was honestly quite hard....was marking out for at least 1.45 hrs. F*cked up some pieces too and had re-do them! Got it finished just at end but I must admit my joints arent the best. It does go together though. Out of 17 in my class, 5 assembled it fully. NOT ENOUGH TIME ALLOCATED I SAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Mul07 wrote: »
    I got mine together but it wasnt square and and the dovetail was done shockingly bad by me! i thought it was very hard compred to the ones i've practised makking on in the past! how did all your projects finish like?? any guess on whats coming up on the paper this year ? :P i know u values and sustainability are on nearly every year
    u values should be in the bank really! how are ya on them? there the same nearly every year and if ya practice the previous years ya should be sound!
    obviously a drawing question! is one(the q ya have ta do) always a drawing question? fireplace was one last year and there was a staircase aswel!

collig2 wrote: »
    Just done mine today. Was honestly quite hard....was marking out for at least 1.45 hrs. F*cked up some pieces too and had re-do them! Got it finished just at end but I must admit my joints arent the best. It does go together though. Out of 17 in my class, 5 assembled it fully. NOT ENOUGH TIME ALLOCATED I SAY!
    mine wasnt perfect last year - loosish enuf, sloppy joints but it was assembeld still got the a1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

IMO the hardest part of the practical was marking it out,took me nearly 2h to mark it out.The rest was alright,nothing too challenging.

Heres a couple pics of the oul project:
    08052009010s.jpg

08052009009i.jpg

what do yas think?

i made a rocking chair
    so did i! howd it turn out?

• Advertisement

DSCF0238.jpg

ooooh your projects are deadly . i like the rocking chair !

did my practical today, was ok i guess . . few people didnt get the sloping mortice and tenons, ouchies

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

ya i did mine monday ... the sloping mortise and tenons took the longest to do .. everyone in our class got it assembled (that doesn mean w ell but assembled all the same :D) ps rocking chair looks class really good quality:D:D

oh i forgot to add a picture of my jewellery box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 davehalligan

for construction studies is it not all about making something related to construction industry and not the carpentry sides of things, well thats wat my teacher said last year when ppl wer making coffee tables and chairs instead of the roofs, cavity walls, plumbing and electric diagrams...etc. But well done to the lad with the rocking chair its pretty class btw!!
    p.s i'm in 5th yr at the mo...

for construction studies is it not all about making something related to construction industry and not the carpentry sides of things, well thats wat my teacher said last year when ppl wer making coffee tables and chairs instead of the roofs, cavity walls, plumbing and electric diagrams...etc. But well done to the lad with the rocking chair its pretty class btw!!
    p.s i'm in 5th yr at the mo...
    shur what is the project worth? 25% and the same for the practical! i rezlly think what you need to see is something different! people make the tables and chairs because they are really the safest bet to make and finish relatively well! Thing about models and roofs is they are very hard to make well and in a lot of cases end up lookin rough - if ya get where im comin from?
    and if the project is well made, typed up you have to get the marks for it!

and thanks !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ayapatrick wrote: »
    shur what is the project worth? 25% and the same for the practical! i rezlly think what you need to see is something different! people make the tables and chairs because they are really the safest bet to make and finish relatively well! Thing about models and roofs is they are very hard to make well and in a lot of cases end up lookin rough - if ya get where im comin from?
    and if the project is well made, typed up you have to get the marks for it!

and thanks !;)

well the acctuall project is only worth 7% and my teacher was sayin that ur nealy guarented 5% for it , the brief is where u loose marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Flomp

Had my day piece today, went alright I spose, got it finished but arsed up putting it together at the last, wasnt really paying attention and cut the dowel rod without thinking, kinda screwed up the back :P

Praying a window section comes up for the drawing, did it for my project :P

Heres mine;
    http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg1632.jpg

Probably couldve done a few things a bit better but was fun to do :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

2 seperate pictures of my project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clevertop

day practical was a joke.. We dont get to do walls and stuff like that in our school only small projects.. YE are lucky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fazer18

i made a rocking chair

Hi Ya i was interested in making a rocking chair too could you please let me know where you got plans and cutting list of timber sizes , also was the timber freely available sounds complicated did it take you long to complete its a great practical project any info would help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alanmoro

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

awhir wrote: »
    well the acctuall project is only worth 7% and my teacher was sayin that ur nealy guarented 5% for it , the brief is where u loose marks.
    7%? that was a waste of time so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Here's my practical finished, I forgot to curve the bottom part and I drilled 1 wrong hole, but besides that i'm happy.

dsc02312n.th.jpg

And here's my project, when it was almost done, looks better now with a foundation and outter wall though,

dsc02300mk.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WARRIOR08

Does anyone know what joint are coming up this year or any guess as to what it might be? just any info at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

WARRIOR08 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what joint are coming up this year or any guess as to what it might be? just any info at all?
    There's a dovetail template in the cutting list I think, so bet on a dovetail coming up.

Advertisement