Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Poster Discussion

• 05-05-2009 6:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody spotted any election posters up before the allowed period (tomorrow)? One independent in town, maurice saxton iirc was his name. Few posters around the place but not the election boards.

Greens have it up the country from what I read but our local candidates didn't excluding stans car in Tramore!

Will be some mess when there all up!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is this only for the crap they stick on poles (which should be banned outright, IMO) or does it include billboards? There have been billboards up for over a week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    Is this only for the crap they stick on poles (which should be banned outright, IMO) or does it include billboards? There have been billboards up for over a week.

The poles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Sinn Feins Joe Kelly has a large poster up on a pole outside the Tap Room on Ballybricken/Mayors Walk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bill Hayes of sinn fein blatently flouting the law out by ardkeen.. Loads up before the permitted time!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

very clear sinn fein don't give a crap about the law, theyd be first to bitch and moan if FF did it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sinn Féin are out tonight as are a couple of the independents. The competition to find the best poles is on. I'm certain that there'll be a few people out tonight with their wire cutters taking down posters, it's a funny old game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wonder if they'll create blind spots on the ORR roundabouts again?

Ferris has plastered some around Tramore & Waterford. The Sinn Fein group have a huge sign tied onto the roundabout railing as you come into Tramore. Declan Clune (Tramore TC) also has posters up.

Should be removed, all of them, for a week or two plus a fine as a penalty. Disgraceful and making a mockery of the law.

Doesnt reflect very well on Sinn Fein that they are the first in City & County breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

just saw 2 guys putting up signs for john halligan at the entrance to ballybeg

hotspur147 wrote: »
    just saw 2 guys putting up signs for john halligan at the entrance to ballybeg

Id love our local papers to name and shame them, but they probably wont. Likewise its unlikely any action will be taken against them.

Anyway, any posts from here on are legal. Question is, will they take them down as quick as they put them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Jim Darcy has them up around the Williamstown area of the CIty.

I wrote to the council about two years ago re this same issue. their response was that there is no official law that states how long/short a time they can have posters up before an election as long as they are taken down within the time limt after the election is over.

kinda makes a mockery of the law though doesn't it. I mean what if they were all taken down on time, waited a week, and then put them all up again, saying they are advertising for the next election??????????

law is an ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

mike65 wrote: »
    Wonder if they'll create blind spots on the ORR roundabouts again?

I'm sure whatever circus is in town (or is that the same thing?) will beat them to it!

Bards wrote: »
    I wrote to the council about two years ago re this same issue. their response was that there is no official law that states how long/short a time they can have posters up before an election as long as they are taken down within the time limt after the election is over.

As of this year, there is. It was illegal for them to errect them before today at 00.05 and anybody who did can be fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Sully wrote: »
    As of this year, there is. It was illegal for them to errect them before today at 00.05 and anybody who did can be fined.

That would appear to be the case in Galway anyway...
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/7389-city-mayor-accused-flouting-law-over-election-posters

...and an article in today's paper suggests fines are already being handed out:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/councils-promise-fines-for-early-election-posters-1729653.html

Actually spoke with a councillor about this earlier on this morning, briefly. Cant be fined unless your willing to stand up in court against them. Whos going to bother making such a big fuss? Also, one of Sinn Feins posters in Tramore is being removed as its in an illegal area or something. I assume its the one as you enter Tramore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

gscully wrote: »
    I'm sure whatever circus is in town (or is that the same thing?) will beat them to it!
    Gerbola Circus posters are up and about.

I for one will be voting for them, we need fresh clowns in government locally and nationally, they current ones are not really funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Greens have it up the country from what I read but our local candidates didn't excluding stans car in Tramore!
    There is a set of rules for putting up posters to announce/publicise events. We had to follow them for the Energy Show at the Racecourse a couple of weeks ago. The posters the Green Candidate in Dublin has up were (had to be) approved by the Environment Section of the local council as being for to publicise an event before he could put them up.

And where did you see my Car? :confused:

I can't remember where I parked it! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Does anybody know what will happen if I'm gripped for taking everybody's posters down? I get a fine of how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Anyway, any posts from here on are legal. Question is, will they take them down as quick as they put them up!

Real question is, wil they take down the plastic tie-ons from the last two general elections? Or is this sort of pollution okay for political parties?

There is a set of rules for putting up posters to announce/publicise events. We had to follow them for the Energy Show at the Racecourse a couple of weeks ago. The posters the Green Candidate in Dublin has up were (had to be) approved by the Environment Section of the local council as being for to publicise an event before he could put them up.

And where did you see my Car? :confused:

I can't remember where I parked it! :o

They were cheeky - they covered up the "No 1" part to make them legal. But they had them up, like other partys, none the less.

As for your car.. it was parked up outside the church on Priests Road with your mug and newsletter plastered all over it. Honestly stan, you should have at least done a pro job and got your mug painted on with a "Vote no 1". Shame the car isnt very green! :P
    O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Does anybody know what will happen if I'm gripped for taking everybody's posters down? I get a fine of how much?

Its vandalism. Or so I was told by a Guard once when Berties billboard was being modified.
    Sleipnir wrote: »
    Real question is, wil they take down the plastic tie-ons from the last two general elections? Or is this sort of pollution okay for political parties?

How can you prove what party left them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's more real and pressing questions to be asked of our candidates for this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's more real and pressing questions to be asked of our candidates for this campaign.

I'm pretty sure this thread is about election posters, not the wider question regarding the state of the country. Start another thread about the pressing issues and I'll discuss those there.
    How can you prove what party left them?

I didn't say "bring them to court" but they could all make a concerted effort to remove them as they are an eyesore. Leading by example, civic responsibility, you understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

This topic was just talked about on Today FMs The Last Word with Matt Cooper. Sounds like no one will get prosecuted for hanging up posters. It will be all taken into the spirit of election. If a poster is causing a road safety hindrance you just have to ring the city council and they are meant to take them down for safety reasons.

One listener did make a good point. Get the Political Parties to have different colour cable ties, that way when the posters have to come down if someone leaves their ties you know what party is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

i dont think they will ever ban posters but maybe a limit should be put on how many you can put up.

wfman wrote: »
    i dont think they will ever ban posters but maybe a limit should be put on how many you can put up.
    John Gormley intends to limit the places where they can be erected also.

Each Local Authority will provide specified locations where they can be put up, and nowhere else.

He didn't get it through for this Election, but it is coming.

Better work hard, the general election is coming very soon :P

Nice posters btw Stan. Good to see you haven't plastered the town.. yet!

Better work hard, the general election is coming very soon :P

Nice posters btw Stan. Good to see you haven't plastered the town.. yet!

General Election won't be for at least 12 months by my reckoning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

John Gormley intends to limit the places where they can be erected also.

Each Local Authority will provide specified locations where they can be put up, and nowhere else.

maybe limit each candidate to 50 posters in the local elections would be a better idea.
    specified locations would just be over postered.

General Election won't be for at least 12 months by my reckoning :eek:

Ah you would say that, your in government (well, your party!). :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah you would say that, your in government (well, your party!). :P

Lets not forget no party actually wants an early election, as after all whoever wins it has to become the evil party by making all the hard decisions that will affect the average joe and will keep its popularity.

They all talk about it but deep down its the last thing they want, the media big it up more then anything.

Anyway back on topic, I see ALOAD of loose posters around both Waterford and Kilkenny, I've also heard numerous reports on the radio of stray one's hitting people's cars and windshields.

This new trend of placing ****e loads of them at roundabouts is an awful bad idea

Advertisement