Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Poster Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

how quick are they to take them down after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

i think they have a week.

bet you that will be one long week before we see the end of the posters. no doubt will see the posters scattered around the paths for long time to come after.

i dont know if its enforced but its a fine per poster left up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

do you need a permit to put them up? Next year i would love to put up a few vote ziedth with my cookie monster avatar, might be a laugh

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    do you need a permit to put them up? Next year i would love to put up a few vote ziedth with my cookie monster avatar, might be a laugh
    i dont think you need a permit.none of the local candidates are even nominated yet but they have posters up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

What about all the cable ties they leave behind on the poles!

how about we use the cable ties to tie the candidates to the poles and send them all home !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Heard a funny story regarding the elections, i believe up near the border pamphlets were being distributed, reminding the public by the candidates encouraging people to buy within ireland and not go over the border. However the pamphlets themselves were made across the border. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Jesus, the last couple of days they have gone way overboard with them imo, I live on the Williamstown road and they are everywhere,an absolute eyesore.

The Sinn Fein posters haven't even been tied on properly and half of them are lying on the ground,they should be forced to clean them up or get done for littering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    Heard a funny story regarding the elections, i believe up near the border pamphlets were being distributed, reminding the public by the candidates encouraging people to buy within ireland and not go over the border. However the pamphlets themselves were made across the border. :p

True story!

And the pamphlets were printed on behalf of Dundalk Chamber of Commerce!

http://www.argus.ie/news/chamber-defends-leaflet-printing-1723251.html

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Jesus, the last couple of days they have gone way overboard with them imo, I live on the Williamstown road and they are everywhere,an absolute eyesore.

It's a catch 22.

If you don't put them up you don't get the votes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's a catch 22.

If you don't canvas and make yourselves known, you don't get the votes. You have little posters up Stan, so it doesnt really make sense. I wonder do election posters actually make the difference? Has a study been done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What about all those that break the law by having posters within 100m of a polling station? The Shinners are adept at ignoring that little rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Isn't that just on polling day though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Correct.

It is a rule that is ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sully wrote: »
    If you don't canvas and make yourselves known, you don't get the votes. You have little posters up Stan, so it doesnt really make sense. I wonder do election posters actually make the difference? Has a study been done?

Ridiculously placed posters are more likely to make me not vote for someone;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Has anybody driven down by The Grange today? It appears that Gary Wyse has grown some horns and a Devil beard! And someone was very inventive with one of Jim Darcy's posters with the word "GAY" in large lettering on the poster. Also, John Cummins has a Hitler moustache in one of the posters around!

It's bad because these people have to spend money on them, and they're not cheap. But, on the other hand, it is funny. Maybe they'll learn to put them up a bit higher next time out.

What does everyone think of the various posters?

There seems to be very little consistency between the Fianna Fail candidates' posters. Stephanie Keating has a red background on half of her poster. Katherine O'Neill's are different again. Gary Wyse and Pat Ormond are somewhat alike, I suppose.

And I'm not sure what the idea behind Fine Gael's ones are. They've all got some kind of scene in the background.

I can't say I'm a fan of The Workers' Party's posters. The black-and white posters don't look the best imo.

And I can't believe how small the picture is on John Halligan's ones.

Labour's seem good. Seamus Ryan's are simple and to-the-point. Jack Walsh looks well in his ones.

Maybe I'm biased but I think Sinn Fein's look very well too. They're consistent and look professional.

What's everyone's opinions? And do you think they make much of a difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nicest posters: Fine Gael, Greens and Sinn Fein. Very professionally done, sets across the right image. All done in HQ tho.

Naughtiest electorates: Sinn Fein. Putting LOADS up BEFORE the permitted time. Breaching of the law, tut tut.

Workers Party have some strange pictures and some of the Independents had no imagination. FF design was on the right track but choice of colours was poor making them hard to read.

A few posters in Tramore sprayed on Friday night, nothing very unique tho. How much were HQ charging? I did posters for someone who got them printed at ~€4 each.

Nicest posters: Fine Gael, Greens and Sinn Fein. Very professionally done, sets across the right image. All done in HQ tho.

Well seeing as there are no Greens in the city anymore now that Mr. Mc Can't has gone rogue, I can't judge them. I'l take your word though.

I agree to a point with the Fine Gael. They do look very professional but I'm not sure about the background. And I think it was a bad decision to have John Cummins not wear a tie for his picture. I know he's young and all but he could have had a really nice, modern tie and looked a lot better.
    Naughtiest electorates: Sinn Fein. Putting LOADS up BEFORE the permitted time. Breaching of the law, tut tut.

Yeah I saw that on here. Don't know much about it tbh.
    Workers Party have some strange pictures and some of the Independents had no imagination. FF design was on the right track but choice of colours was poor making them hard to read.

Agreed.
    How much were HQ charging? I did posters for someone who got them printed at ~€4 each.

I have no idea actually. It was one thing I didn't think to ask about. I konw that none of this stuff is ever cheap though.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Well seeing as there are no Greens in the city anymore now that Mr. Mc Can't has gone rogue, I can't judge them. I'l take your word though.

There are.. At least two. Actually one posted here earlier but it was removed by the Smods as it was political spam. :) Head out to Tramore and see Stans if your interested.
    I agree to a point with the Fine Gael. They do look very professional but I'm not sure about the background. And I think it was a bad decision to have John Cummins not wear a tie for his picture. I know he's young and all but he could have had a really nice, modern tie and looked a lot better.

Its different to the traditional. I assume it meant "at the heart of the community". The name and logo all sits very well. Havent really seen Johns poster but I think the tie is a minor thing. Young candidate, fresh face with his father doing very well in politics - should do pretty well id say.
    Yeah I saw that on here. Don't know much about it tbh.

But your SF, surely you know that the SF candidates had loads up before the permitted time and are probably the party with the most. Actually didnt recognise the girl for europe.
    I have no idea actually. It was one thing I didn't think to ask about. I konw that none of this stuff is ever cheap though.

Im not sure do they charge for design, which would be pricey but printing should be cheap. Do new SF candidates not get them for free?

Its different to the traditional. I assume it meant "at the heart of the community". The name and logo all sits very well. Havent really seen Johns poster but I think the tie is a minor thing. Young candidate, fresh face with his father doing very well in politics - should do pretty well id say.

Yeah you make a good point there actually. They do look very slick alright. I just can't get on board with the no-tie thing though (I think I'm only a year older than John like!).

But your SF, surely you know that the SF candidates had loads up before the permitted time and are probably the party with the most. Actually didnt recognise the girl for europe.

Yeah but I wasn't involved in putting up the posters. And I think I was on evenings that week so probably didn't cop if they were up early.

I'm surprised you didn't recognise her. It's Toireasa Ferris, Martin Ferris' daughter. I think she has a reasonable national profile but would definitely be better known down in Kerry. I think she looks very well on her poster.

Im not sure do they charge for design, which would be pricey but printing should be cheap. Do new SF candidates not get them for free?

I don't know actually. I know my dad had a fund-raiser to finance his posters so he didn't get them for free. Don't remember them being free last time out but I could be wrong. I think you raised a good point there earlier about how effective posters are and have any studies been done.

I suppose the thinking is that you would never take the risk by not doing them. Actually, I did hear that Mary Roche isn't putting any up. I don't think it's for any green reason though. I'm open for correction or more detail if anybody has it.

I believe she said its because people didnt like them. She reads the forums as i think someone claimed she quoted people here but never posted. Maybe she will now?

I believe she said its because people didnt like them. She reads the forums as i think someone claimed she quoted people here but never posted. Maybe she will now?

Maybe. I'd be interested to hear her reasoning and whether she thinks it'll hurt her at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

It's a catch 22.

And here was me like a fool thinking that the candidates qualities decided elections.

I understand that if one does it everyone has to,but there's one or two who have a considerable amount more than the rest and that does more to turn me against them to be honest.

It's like a battle of the mugshots out there,and to be fair you're all fighting a losing battle, Toireasa Ferris has you all crushed. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's a catch 22.

I don't know about that now, parties could do more legwork and actually talk to people on the streets....in fairness what does a party think a poster will do for them?
    - It doesn't tell people your views
    - Doesn't give any background info
    - Doesn't tell you what the person is like

Surely this can only be done by actually talking to people?
    Look at all the money you'd save on posters? ;)

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

anyone see the Real IRA or CIRA posters up around the town?

they just say "imformers wanted apply to gerry adams martin mcguinness and May lou mcdonald"

defo 1 of those groups!!

Mickdots wrote: »
    anyone see the Real IRA or CIRA posters up around the town?

they just say "imformers wanted apply to gerry adams martin mcguinness and May lou mcdonald"

defo 1 of those groups!!

The black and white A4 pages stuck onto various ESB/Eircom boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Has anybody driven down by The Grange today? It appears that Gary Wyse has grown some horns and a Devil beard! And someone was very inventive with one of Jim Darcy's posters with the word "GAY" in large lettering on the poster. Also, John Cummins has a Hitler moustache in one of the posters around!

It's bad because these people have to spend money on them, and they're not cheap. But, on the other hand, it is funny. Maybe they'll learn to put them up a bit higher next time out.

I noticed another one yesterday morning on the Viewmount fence at the Tesco Ardkeen roundabout. A large poster of Jack Walsh and Alan Kelly, and sprayed across it in large letters was 'F*GG*TS'. I admit, I did laugh. It reminded me of the time they opened the dual-carriageway at the time of the Tall Ships and then closed it again afterwards, and someone sprayed across the barrier something like 'Open up the f**ken road already!'.

Anyway, the Labour poster had disappeared by tea-time yesterday. So, if we want the parties to take down the posters as soon as the elections end, all we have to do is write ''F*GG*TS' on them. Seems to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

comedy poster of the campaign award could go to the WP one of the guy with the crooked glasses + 3D cords and vote 'No 1' instead of 'No. 1' typo.

Never met the man but surely someone should have managed the photo shoot and checked the poster wording. It does him no favours.

Advertisement