Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Poster Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

old gregg wrote: »
    comedy poster of the campaign award could go to the WP one of the guy with the crooked glasses + 3D cords and vote 'No 1' instead of 'No. 1' typo.

Never met the man but surely someone should have managed the photo shoot and checked the poster wording. It does him no favours.

I think thats the most genuine poster of them all, very amusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

for all the posters up so far its a shame only 2 candidates had them printed locally.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wfman wrote: »
    for all the posters up so far its a shame only 2 candidates had them printed locally.

Where did the rest get them printed?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Where did the rest get them printed?
    mostly in dublin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mostly in dublin.

Which two candidates? Most of the partys got them done via HQ in Dublin mainly because the brand design was only available in HQ. It was professionally done and there usually printed there (sometimes cheaper). They turned out nicer - FG, SF, Greens. FF isnt the best, and they were done professionally I think.

If you spot a poster thats not the same design as the common party one - its either an old design or was done locally. (One FG at least is using an older design)

Sometimes candidates go to a printer with little design experience to create their posters and they turn out poor. I believe this includes the Independents, not sure about the other smaller groups. People dont know the difference between designers and printers sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Toireasa Ferris is looking mighty fine in her one :D

Sully wrote: »
    Which two candidates? Most of the partys got them done via HQ in Dublin mainly because the brand design was only available in HQ. It was professionally done and there usually printed there (sometimes cheaper). They turned out nicer - FG, SF, Greens. FF isnt the best, and they were done professionally I think.

If you spot a poster thats not the same design as the common party one - its either an old design or was done locally. (One FG at least is using an older design)

Sometimes candidates go to a printer with little design experience to create their posters and they turn out poor. I believe this includes the Independents, not sure about the other smaller groups. People dont know the difference between designers and printers sometimes!
    id prefer if the money was spent in waterford by the local candidates.In these times.

id prefer if the money was spent in waterford by the local candidates.In these times.

Its a matter of having the right identity/apperance and being within your budget. If none of this can be provided down here... what do you expect?

i think thats a bit of an injustice to the local printers.candidates are speaking about unemployment and jobs been lost locally.look at the money spent on posters and leaflets outside of waterford.

i think thats a bit of an injustice to the local printers.candidates are speaking about unemployment and jobs been lost locally.look at the money spent on posters and leaflets outside of waterford.

I completely understand your point. I always keep my print work local but I will shop around for the best deal (in one case, I was offered a great deal in Cork so I took it).

I think candidates were disapointed with the work quality (design wise) a printer gave, where in HQ they were getting much better work quality. Might have been cheaper to print, im not sure. At the end of the day, quality counts. If you get **** looking leaflets, posters etc. you will be the laughing stock. Get something done right, and it will help your image.

It would probably work out pricey coming to a designer then going to a printer. So if HQ are doing design and print, at very good quality, for either the same price or a little dearer then thats how people will spend their money. Doesnt help us, but its how they choose to spend money within their budget.

(In the case of the greens, nobody here could provide them with the type of board they wanted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

south wrote: »
    Toireasa Ferris is looking mighty fine in her one :D
    yep, I'll be splashing on the old spice and wearing the gold medallion when she comes canvassing in my area. and yes I know she's down in Kerry but I'm already writing up my pages of questions :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

old gregg wrote: »
    yep, I'll be splashing on the old spice and wearing the gold medallion when she comes canvassing in my area. and yes I know she's down in Kerry but I'm already writing up my pages of questions :p

she came 7th in the most beautiful female politicians in the world poll :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1164744/The-worlds-beautiful-female-politicians-revealed-surprise-surprise-theres-British-woman-them.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the candidate themselves does not come to my door they do not get my vote. Hired canvassers need not apply.

well, dip me in sh1t and roll me in breadcrumbs! It looks like I should wander over to the 'back to my roots' thread cos I'm gonna have to get some work done if I want to look my James Bond best when she arrives to say hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I had a couple of things recording on Sky last week, so I had to revert to terrestrial tv. I eventually found my way to Rai Uno and didn't go past it. There was a babe I couldn't keep my eyes off. Turns out she is the former exotic-dancer turned Italian politician who is No.4 on that list - Mara Carfagna.

gscully wrote: »
    I had a couple of things recording on Sky last week, so I had to revert to terrestrial tv. I eventually found my way to Rai Uno and didn't go past it. There was a babe I couldn't keep my eyes off. Turns out she is the former exotic-dancer turned Italian politician who is No.4 on that list - Mara Carfagna.
    if Mara Carfagna were the local Green party candidate she could object to every single planning application and she'd still get my support :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's also this candidate in Kilkenny who's running for FF

annaFF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

halligan got his posters done in waterford,

costs had a major factor in the size of his posters! only got 120 printed!

as for ferris, id give her 1, but i wont give her my number 1 :D

id rather pole dance in dignity before id vote for sinn fein :D

halligan got his posters done in waterford,

costs had a major factor in the size of his posters! only got 120 printed!
    I believe he has used the same poster for years and he does re-use them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

no,

all new posters, old posters had the workers party on them

I just love how men (me included) can put aside all political differences and ideologies as long as the candidates are hot. If I lived in Kilkenny I'd vote FF whereas I'll set the dog on any of the local candidates in Waterford :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I believe he has used the same poster for years and he does re-use them.
    You haven't seen any of his posters so?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Was just on my way home there. Coming off the ring road at the williamstown roundabout and I noticed that your view of cars coming from the right is fairly minimised with all the posters on the centre railing blocking your view. I dont think posters should be allowed there imo

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Was just on my way home there. Coming off the ring road at the williamstown roundabout and I noticed that your view of cars coming from the right is fairly minimised with all the posters on the centre railing blocking your view. I dont think posters should be allowed there imo

From what I was told, there not. I guess the council cba removing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

I just passed the Couse roundabout earlier and Sinn Fen were putting more up down there , there does.nt seem to be any spare room at that roundabout now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If the candidate themselves does not come to my door they do not get my vote. Hired canvassers need not apply.

I'm interested in this viewpoint. Do you mean that if there's a team of 5 or 6 canvassers out, and your house doesn't happen to be the 1 in 6 that the candidate arrives at, then you won't vote for him/her? Or that, in that case, you'll request to speak to the candidate?

Its next to impossible to get the candidate to comne to your door - if there canvassing, hes in your estate. At least in Waterford, I think its far to big of a task. They usually do their best but time is tight. Ask to speak to them if you like.

What I have noticed is that many people wont walk up to my door (its a longsh driveway) and just shove their leaflet in the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Agreed. It's not possible for a councillor to talk to everyone at every door. The councillor/candidate should be with all those canvassing though - so wouldn't it make more sense to just ask to speak to the candidate instead of coming on boards moaning about how you're not going to vote for them?

You obviously aren't involved in the grassroots of any party, because you'd otherwise know how impossible of a task this is to do.

• Advertisement

I have told canvassers this in the past that they have lost a vote because of the candidates non attendance. I do want to address specific issues with them. Telling the canvasser is a waste of time.
    I don't live on an estate so I can't argue the toss with them.
    I do know that at least one will visit me and he is guaranteed my vote. ;)
    You obviously aren't involved in the grassroots of any party, because you'd otherwise know how impossible of a task this is to do.
    I don't have time to get mixed up with all the back stabbing and infighting of the local parties.

Advertisement