Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Poster Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

wonder if the lads putting up Kathy Sinnott's posters forgot to bring a ladder with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

wfman wrote: »
    wonder if the lads putting up Kathy Sinnott's posters forgot to bring a ladder with them!
    :D

It is not just Waterford. They are very low down everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have told canvassers this in the past that they have lost a vote because of the candidates non attendance. I do want to address specific issues with them. Telling the canvasser is a waste of time.
    I don't live on an estate so I can't argue the toss with them.
    I do know that at least one will visit me and he is guaranteed my vote. ;)

I don't have time to get mixed up with all the back stabbing and infighting of the local parties.

Well, I know that my father hasn't had people canvassing without him. He'd always be part of the team out canvassing so if someone at a door I call to wants to speak to him, I'll just call him over.

Are you saying you won't vote for someone if the candidate isn't part of the canvassing team?

If they cared enough about me as a voter they would make the effort. I would certainly make the effort to vote.

Any whoo it is generally the independents that get my vote. I had a nice chap at the door the other day, he is up there in contention for my number 1.

If they cared enough about me as a voter they would make the effort. I would certainly make the effort to vote.

Any whoo it is generally the independents that get my vote. I had a nice chap at the door the other day, he is up there in contention for my number 1.

Sorry, I'm really not understanding you. Are you suggesting that every candidate should call to your door personally?

• Advertisement

If they cared they would.

Do you not see the impracticality of that? It'd be physically impossible for a candidate to canvass every single house in his constituency. You're talking tens of thousands of people.

I wouldn't have a problem with you saying to another member of a canvassing team, "I'd actually like to speak to the candidate", in which case they'd get him/her.

Otherwise, if you're using this as one of your criteria as to whether to vote for someone or not, you're leaving it to chance. Because one party might have 12 canvassers out, and luckily for them, your house is the one in twelve that the candidate calls to.

Another party might have only the candidate and one other, and your house could be the one in two that the candidate manages to miss.

So it's not that candidate #1 made more effort in order to call into you, it's just luck. And you therefore discount candidate #2 through no fault of their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Do you know how many households are in every ward? It's not possible. At all.

The way it works is - a team of canvassers will go out, WITH the politician. If you need to address an issue with them, they can just call him/her over to you for a chat. That's how it works. You still get to speak to them, instead of not bothering to call them over - but surprisingly still find the time to moan about it on boards.

What you are asking is not possible, from any politician.

I have asked in the past and all they say is he is not doing this village etc. Then I say can I call him to speak to him about issue xyz?
    No, he doesn't have the time to talk to you, read his leaflet instead. So they basically don't want to address issues.

I don't live in a ward or any urban type scenario. But the independents tend to be much better at responding to requests for meetings etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If they started canvassing in September.... of 2006, then maybe they might have been able to talk to each and every one of the electorate but such a thing is highly unpractical and a waste of time.

From my experience, canvassers are friends, family and dedicated supporters of the candidate, who are in tune with the issues in hand. They aren't hired hands like you suggest and at most they might get a small party at the end of it all as a token of appreciation. Now they can't speak for the candidate but they can, and do, pass on any feedback they've received at the doorsteps.

Your own system of choosing who to vote for is nothing but a glorified lottery.

• Advertisement

I have asked in the past and all they say is he is not doing this village etc. Then I say can I call him to speak to him? No, he doesn't have the time, read his leaflet instead. So they basically don't want to address issues.
    This village?

I assume you're not talking about the Waterford City area so?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Folks I'm splitting this new convo tmrow (unless one of the other mods does it before) to the elections thread as its more suited there. Can't do it from my mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have asked in the past and all they say is he is not doing this village etc. Then I say can I call him to speak to him? No, he doesn't have the time, read his leaflet instead. So they basically don't want to address issues.

Where do you live? The middle of a field? Why not pop into the constituency office, or give the canvasser your number for them to call you. I always carry a small notebook and pen to take people's numbers.

I have asked in the past and all they say is he is not doing this village etc. Then I say can I call him to speak to him about issue xyz?
    No, he doesn't have the time to talk to you, read his leaflet instead. So they basically don't want to address issues.

I don't live in a ward or any urban type scenario. But the independents tend to be much better at responding to requests for meetings etc.

This clarifies the situation much better. Thanks for that.

If the candidate is not part of the canvassing team, I think that's poor form. If you were to accept that, the very least he could do would be respond to a phone call from you.

Most leaflets have a contact number for the candidate on them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So say a candidate arrives at your house and your not there, they made the effort to visit your premises but you didn't make the effort to be there

Do you want them to come up with some kind of appointment system too just to make you happy ;)
    :D

In relation to voting, voting should not require effort on your part as its your duty as a citizen of Ireland to do it and its also your duty to ensure you inform yourself using available information before voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Her support is dropping :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I nearly crashed at every roundabout on the ORR this morning. Ms Ferris picture caught my eye every time!

I can now understand all the fuss about those Wonderbra posters years ago :D

...and to hell with her calling to my house looking for my vote. I'll gladly drive down to Kerry to hers!!

http://www.ferrisforeurope.ie/
    thats the link to her website.loads of pictures and emm....... political stuff too!
    great website you could spend hours on it.

if your fully up to date on miss ferris's policies this is a link straight to her pics.a picture says a thousand words!
    http://www.sinnfeineu.com/en/gallery/1

thats the link to her website.loads of pictures and emm....... political stuff too!
    Tis an awful shame that I cannot vote for her and Ireland East does not have anyone that even comes close to her. ;)

• Advertisement

she is also a fluent speaker of Spanish.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

she is also a fluent speaker of Spanish.:P
    handy for when you need to spend seven months working in Mexico :P

I would be thinking further south.

Why did I have to satisfy my curiosity and watch that video. Put me right off her so it did!

If you don't click the link everything in the world is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

What about all those that break the law by having posters within 100m of a polling station? The Shinners are adept at ignoring that little rule.

It seems many posters are breaking the law by not carrying a printer's imprint.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/si/0297.html#zzsi297y1995a101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Saw the FF MEP Brian Crowley's poster today. The Fianna Fail logo was only about an inch high and invisible from a distance. The Labour Party posters got the use of the colours black, white and red wrong. FF seems to be playing down their brand. FG's star logo is utterly amateurish - like something a kid would get on their homework copy from the teacher. Some of the candidates look so shifty that you'd wonder what they were doing with their hands when their photos were taken.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

i thought i heard on deise AM the other morning that they were supposed to be legally at least 8 foot high ?(was i hearing things??) anyway, Kathy Sinnott is seriously blocking my view at all the roundabouts :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You would think Crowley was an independent the way the design was done. Not like the FF posters at all.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    You would think Crowley was an independent the way the design was done. Not like the FF posters at all.

I think he has two sets; one like the FF posters and the ones where the only mention of FF is tucked away in tiny font in the bottom right hand corner. Unbelieveable.

Advertisement