Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should i do?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone, im an apprentice electrician 2 months in to my 4th year. I want to do something rather than work as a sparks when im finshed. I will be 22 when im out of my time. I would like to be a fas instrutor...but i served my time in maintenance and im SH*TE at conduit/trunking!!! So i think an instructor in one of the I.T colleges would be more suited. My question is how do you become an instructor? what courses do i need 2 do? Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont know if you have enough experience for being an instrutor, im sure they would be looking for someone with more experience outside. Also if you dont want to work as a sparks, is it really the best thing to be teaching? I know its more handy to be in a classroom but are you sure its what you really want.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So i think an instructor in one of the I.T colleges would be more suited

The minimum educational requirement for this is a level 8 acreddited electrical engineering degree or you must be a qualified electrician with two department examinations which are:
    (1) "Advanced Electrotech" (written exam)
    (2) "Electrical Engineering Practice" either section A or section B (both written exams)

There is a course for these examinations is generally run for free in DIT Kevin Street, but it is not run every year.
    This year it ran and finished last week. Examinations cost in the region of €150.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Thats the minimum , in Cork they only take guys with degrees so they are more employable in other parts of the college if there is a downturn in apprentice numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hey_hey

Davy wrote: »
    I dont know if you have enough experience for being an instrutor, im sure they would be looking for someone with more experience outside.

2 instructors i had in phase 6 in blanch i.t went straight into teaching after serving their time. so i dont think the experience will come in to play.. after all if you know your stuff, you know your stuff! I believe if the knowledge is fresh in your head you have a better chance.

Davy wrote: »
    Also if you dont want to work as a sparks, is it really the best thing to be teaching?

I dont want to be stuck on site til im old and grey, Its not that i dont want to work as a sparks..i will!!! if i have to! Why do you think all other instructors became instructors...because they dont want to work as a sparks anymore!

Thanks for your replies guys!! 2011... really good info thank u!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2 instructors i had in phase 6 in blanch i.t went straight into teaching after serving their time. so i dont think the experience will come in to play
    I take it that that is a Fas training centre and AFAIK what you say is possible. To teach apprentices in somewhere like Kevin St. what I outlined is the minimum.

Good luck with your decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hey_hey wrote: »
    2 instructors i had in phase 6 in blanch i.t went straight into teaching after serving their time. so i don't think the experience will come in to play.. after all if you know your stuff, you know your stuff! I believe if the knowledge is fresh in your head you have a better chance.

Without a degree you could run into problems later on, there are many issues with teaching in a college without a degree, the main one being that to enter an apprenticeship you don't need a leaving cert, this is a minimum requirement to enter any decent establishment as a student or teacher (unless you are a mature student with experience).
    Technically if someone paid fees to go to a college where there was an instructor/teacher who left school at 15 with a junior cert, completed an apprenticeship in 4 years and was teaching in the college at 19 there could be an issue, just give that some serious thought.
    The college will want someone with the best qualifications available, currently there are a lot of highly qualified people out of work, so competition for the 19 year old would be very high.
    BTW I'm not stating that this is or is not the case in any college or institution in Ireland, I'm just making a general point that IMO it would not make sense if it was. It's different times these days though.
    Assistant positions could be available, anyone I ever knew who worked as a lab assistant or technician was studying in the college at the same time, building experience and qualification simultaneously.

My advice would be to start a part time degree now, it's easier than ever these days with respect to how many years it takes, also there are degrees out there that credit time for people with an apprenticeship.
    When I studied at that level I had fellow students in my class who had been working as instructors and lab techs, basically when the college needed to up its status it need to up the standard of its teaching staff, so some of these guys who seemed to really know their stuff (in their own field) were forced to get a degree at night when they were in their 40's and 50's. BTW they did not find it easy most of them worked in one or two areas that may or may not have combined to help them with one subject.

So best advice IMO is to future proof yourself now and do it with the most rounded and recognized qualification you can and try to stay away from studying for something with limited worth outside of a particular establishment. At 22 it's a lot easier to do it then when you are 32 or 42 or 52.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hey_hey

Thanks stoner, that makes sense alright! I have no problem with having to get a degree, i wasnt looking for the quickest or cheapest way to do it i just didnt have a clue how to go about it. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

NP,
    Kevin Street do an electrical Services Engineering Degree, with an electrical apprenticeship you can go straight into 2nd year, and it has full and part time options. Sligo IT also have a distance option (I think).

BTW I've nothing against the quickest or cheapest way to do something just the best and most rounded one would give you the most options.

Best of luck whatever road you go down.

Just a little update on teaching apprentices. This email was sent too all those that expressed an interest around last Christmas:
    Have you considered a career in Third Level Teaching in Kevin Street?

The minimum requirements are as follows:

Academic Qualifications
    Completion of an appropriate full trade apprenticeship with a pass in all the associated examinations including appropriate post apprenticeship examinations
    Or
    An appropriate 1st or 2nd class honours degree in Electrical or Building Services Engineering from a degree awarding authority or an approved equivalent qualification

Experience
    At least three years post apprenticeship or post qualification industrial experience. Industrial Experience in Electrical Services or Electrical Power Engineering. Computer literate, Competency in AutoCAD.

Personal Attributes
    Good communication and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of Electrical Services industry. Good presentation skills. Membership of a professional institution such as CIBSE

Desirable attributes
    Proven track record in team working; Ability to problem solve and innovate; Ambitious and creative; One who wishes to develop academically; One who likes working with young people; One capable of developing academic programmes.

If you are a qualified electrician with three years experience you would meet the practical experience requirements above.

The academic requirement may be met by passing the Department of Education Electrical Engineering Practice Examinations
    Part 1 - Advanced Electrotechnology
    Part 2 - Electrical Engineering Practice – Stage B (Advanced Stage) -
    If you wish to sit these exams next June, you must enter now through the Examinations Office, Kevin Street.

There is no course available at present, however, it may be possible to provide copies of past papers and tutorial classes for a small group interested in studying for these exams.

If you are interested in the above, please give your names to Frances in the Department Office in Church Lane.

Kevin O’Connell
    Head of Department

Please note: All appointments are subject to interview.

Kevin O’Connell:
    it may be possible to provide copies of past papers and tutorial classes for a small group interested in studying for these exams.
    This course did run in the end. Part 2 Electrical Engineering Practice Stage B (Advanced Stage) exam was on last night.

Advertisement