Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there no funding at all?!

Options
  • 05-05-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Now I know there are a lot of questions about grants and funding for post graduate courses abroad in this forum already but Im just wondering is there actually any funding whatsoever for doing a masters abroad???

I'm really interested in doing one in Aberdeen in September and am just finishing up and hons degree at the moment. I've always qualified for the grant in previous years. There is not a hope in hell I will be able to afford the masters AND living costs no matter how hard I work this summer!!

My question: I know that the government does not give out grants for overseas masters BUT do they at least provide some sort of funding for living costs or something like that?!?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Nope. Your only choice is what ever funding the university offers or get a loan. It's a bit ridiculous that they don't offer the grant for uni's in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

Think about it. What is the advantage to the Government for giving a grant for a foreign institution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 oooccc1

Check out studentfinance.ie. If you got the grant for your undergrad you can be intitled to it in certain circumstance although for Britian it can be difficult.

Maybe look at Queens in Belfast or the University of Ulster if they offer the same course you are interested in. I know that a one year full time pg course at Queens was covered by the grant for a friend of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The local authority grant/fees system covers the 32 counties at postgrad. It doesn't cover the mainland UK at postgrad level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

googlefan wrote:
    Think about it. What is the advantage to the Government for giving a grant for a foreign institution?
    If the government view the grant as funding the university, than sure, there's no reason to fund British universities. But, if the government view the grant as funding the student than there are plenty of reasons to send Irish students to universities in other countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement