Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am still having UPC problems

Options
  • 05-05-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I posted a few months ago about a problem with upc. My service as disgraceful and I was never refunded for times the net was down. Some issues arose anyway and I didnt meet one bill, I asked for it to be cleared with the money they owed me, instead of it bveing a simple issue it ended uo with me being cut off and having credits to my account on no less than 5 occassions. I am still unsure as to whether I have been credited the full amount owed to me. I cannot verify this as they have refused to give me itemisation of y activity. I requested this circa early Feb when the account was suspended and repeatedly since then. Most recently I was told it is not possible, obviously only after saying I would bring it to com reg.

Anyway I received a letter 2 weeks ago which to me sounded like a threat of legal action. I called them and said that it would be hugely regrettable if they pursued legal action as they would damage my credit rating, and I would have to take it further as I cannot pay a bill that I do not owe. Anyway the person at that stage said it was computer generated and since it was an ongoing issue no further action would be taken unless we could not come to some sort of arrangement. So since then I have been credited again another 32 euro. My bill is down alomst 150 from what they wanted initially which only goes to show that I was perfectly intitalled to argue what they owe me.

So on Firday I got a bad debt notification, next step debt recovery. I contacted them to find out what was happening, I had a lovely conversation with a girl who was shocked by the account history and would definitely get a customer service rep to call me.

Well the customer service rep called me today. My conversation went along the lines of this, but with a lot in between

rep i see you have a complaint logged with us
    me the complaint has been ongoing for over 4 months and i am hoping to put it to rest
    rep well we have credited your account and the final amount is now correct
    mr i have no problem paying the final amount and am happy to do so but as i said
    rep you can pay via laser visa
    me could you please let me finish what i am saying to you i am happy to pay it, i would not expect to get a service for free i just wanted the final amount to be correct, so i need a correct bill so i can pay it
    rep you can pay me now via credit card or laser
    me i dont have a credit card or laser card i will pay
    rep well how did you pay before
    me if you would let me finish please, i will pay in the post office but they need a barcode to pay with
    rep well you can use your last bill but just pay the amount due not the amount on the bill
    me you will see by my account that i returned bills to you when they were incorrect so if you could send it back to me then i would happily do that
    rep do you have a bank account
    me yes i do most people do
    rep you can pay via bank draft or postal order
    me look as i said i have no problem paying but i need a bill, i have requested correct bills numerous times.
    rep are you aware of bank drafts, all you have to do is get one and out your account on the back
    me i am well aware of them can you answer me a question please, you sent a letter to say i have 5 days, now by the time a bank draft gets to you it will be past 5 days can you guarantee that this will not go down the legal route if i have to send a bank draft
    rep to be honest with you i am finding you very obstructive regarding this payment
    me (Igot a bit annoyed now) excuse me, I have said I am happy to pay this amount, I am not being at all obtrusive I just want to ensure you are not going to take legal action because of this dispute, obviously considering the credited amount you were over charging me in the beginning and I am happy that you have reduced it
    rep look i find it very hard to believe you do not have a laser card or a credit card
    me how dare you! what gives you the right to say something like that to
    rep well you must at LEASt have a cheque book
    me (whilst she is continuing on) I will say again, I do not have a credit card, I do not have a laser card, I do not have a chequebook
    rep well what exactly do you use to take your money out of your accoutn to pay for things
    me I deall in cash, I am young enough and I am not rich, I have young kids and I was never fortunate enough to afford a credit or laser card, you need to be given these through application and I do not have one nor do I have a cheque book, I find it extremely insulting that you have questioned me like this and how dare you ask about my banking I would now like to speak to your manager
    rep I cannot put you through to a manager but I can deal with this
    me I have asked in almost every conversation to speak to a manager and it has always been declined now I am disgusted at how this conversation has turned and I am shocked at your accusations and I would like to make a complaint with your manager how dare you speak to me like that
    rep I can log a call and have the manager call you

So I got the reps details and managers name. I called again and spoke to someone ekse requesting to speak to a manager, again nobody was available. I mailed asking to be contacted by a manager and nothing.

The most shocking thing of all, I called comreg who said that since I was no longer their customer they can not do anything about the situation and that there is noe regulator for customer service. I asked how can a company of this size be given a license to deal with the general public if this is the way they nehave. The girl just kept telling me there is nothign that can be done.

Seriosuly is there nothing that can be done, does this company get away with treating people like this scott free, we see almost a weekly mention of upc yet they still remain the largest service provider and i find it disgraceful.

Sorry rant over but wouldnt you be annoyed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Trampas

A trick I try which seems to work is by starting off the conversation by saying this call is been recorded.

Never had UPC/NTL and never hope to have to either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I did actually do that before with a bank, I recorded them, I paid off my mortgage ater selling my house yet they took mortgage payments out of my accoutn for 2months, in the december i spent time on calling them daily asking for the money back so I could buy my kids christmas presents, I ended up recording a conversation with a manger admitting he had prromised my refund that day, friday, but wouldnt bedeliving it, these things happen. I asked hime again, can yoy just clarify, you promised me, yet you wont deliver, and this is crhsitmas week. Well he hung up on me in the end, I called back, I had his direct line and told him I had a recording, he said he could sue me I said grand, but I'd bet you'll lose your job. I got the cheque the next day.

I never thought of doing it with this crowd, yet i hope i will have very few dealings with them from here on in, anyone readin, stay away from upc

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

I have to say im with UPC for the last 6 months and we have had no problems what so ever.

But hope you get the result your looking for as i would have pulled someone through the phone lol

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not sure whether or not they can help, but it would probably be worth your while getting on to The National Consumer Agency. They're pretty helpful and should at least be able to give you some pointers on how to deal with UPC. Another bit of advice I got before is to keep a diary of all your dealings with them, as it will be good to have if things do end up going down the legal route. Agree with recording the calls too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I hope you do get your problem resolved. I've been with UPC for almost 2 years. I've had problems with the internet going down for days without explanation. With technicians saying they called, and no one was home, when someone was actually at home waiting all day, and with bills not being sent out. Most recently I got warned of being cut off because a bill wasnt paid and I told them one was not supplied. I requested one and she said I could pay by credit card. I said I wasnt paying without a bill. Anyway while waiting for a bill I was sent a text message asking me to contact Chorus urgently about my account. I found this highly unprofessional and it proved that the various departments, nay agents, dont communicate with each other. Right now I'm without a tv service and I'm awaiting a callout from one of their highly reputable technicians. It only took 50 minutes on hold to arrange that :mad:

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote: »
    I hope you do get your problem resolved. I've been with UPC for almost 2 years. I've had problems with the internet going down for days without explanation. With technicians saying they called, and no one was home, when someone was actually at home waiting all day, and with bills not being sent out. Most recently I got warned of being cut off because a bill wasnt paid and I told them one was not supplied. I requested one and she said I could pay by credit card. I said I wasnt paying without a bill. Anyway while waiting for a bill I was sent a text message asking me to contact Chorus urgently about my account. I found this highly unprofessional and it proved that the various departments, nay agents, dont communicate with each other. Right now I'm without a tv service and I'm awaiting a callout from one of their highly reputable technicians. It only took 50 minutes on hold to arrange that :mad:

That was me a few months ago. When they decided to cut me off I went beserk as I had been speaking to them the previous day and they said they would sort it, I spent 20mns on hold with a 2 yearold throwing a tantrum for spongebob. I cut my losses eventually and I now have sky and bt broadband and phone and I am happy. My net was down for one day, funny though it was the day ntl were working on cables down the road!

Guys I am so frustrated by the phone call today, of all the people out there looking for work and they employ people with that kind of manner to speak to customers, I think it is disgraceful behaviour from the company and that one individual today, who did she think she was seriously! I mean why would I lie and say I do not have a laser or credit card if I did?

My sister was sitting beside me in shock and even she ended up shouting 'does she want a bloody lesson in banking' (my sister is a banker), she spoke to me like i was 12!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my heart goes out to you, i had very similar problem to you with them, they made me cry because they refused to hear what i said.

they refuse point blank to let you speak to a manager.

we eventually got through to a manager and got her direct line phone number and only deal with her directly now.

all you can do to continue to phone them, we were phoning continiously asking to speak to a manager, it got to the point that customer service people would just hang up on us because all me would say was that we wanted to speak to a manager.

i did at one point ask for a copy of my conversations with them, as all calls are recorded, they refused

when we finally threatened them with com reg, our problems were sorted out.

good luck, you going to need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I did actually do that before with a bank, I recorded them, I paid off my mortgage ater selling my house yet they took mortgage payments out of my accoutn for 2months, in the december i spent time on calling them daily asking for the money back so I could buy my kids christmas presents, I ended up recording a conversation with a manger admitting he had prromised my refund that day, friday, but wouldnt bedeliving it, these things happen. I asked hime again, can yoy just clarify, you promised me, yet you wont deliver, and this is crhsitmas week. Well he hung up on me in the end, I called back, I had his direct line and told him I had a recording, he said he could sue me I said grand, but I'd bet you'll lose your job. I got the cheque the next day.

I never thought of doing it with this crowd, yet i hope i will have very few dealings with them from here on in, anyone readin, stay away from upc

I thought it was against the law to record a conversation without informing someone first?

I thought it was against the law to record a conversation without informing someone first?

well this is what the guy said to me but i replied by saying, you have a notice on your line before getting through to anyone that the call is being recorded so whether I am recording the call or you are recording the call we are both aware the call is being recorded so there is no malice involved, It would be different if I called his mobile and recorded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Write to them. Send them a registered letter, and ask for a full printout of their system records (customer care and accounts) under the Data Protection Act 1988/2003.

You have the right to see all information on their system, every little comment they enter.

That can be very useful. I've used that before (against BT), and when I saw their comments I was disgusted, but it gave me enough for them to take me very seriously and solve my problem.

Phone calls are easy to fob off. Recording the conversation can be useful, but you should make it clear from the start that you are recording the conversation.

But, by far, the best way is to write to them.

• Advertisement

Well I was shocked and amazed to receive a call today and started to try and explain the issue, as usual the person on the other end made an assumption as to what the problem was and I had to try and get her attention to explain that was not the issue. I started to explain the issue and was cut off by 'well i was actually sitting beside ******* at the time' so I said well I gues sthen you must have heard her claim I was obstructive, the response was no and with a little more cutting off of my conversation I wfinally got to explain what happened. I finished off to ask what was going to be dones about it, the response was, well here in customer relations we have to try our best to come to a solution.

Well I was dumbfounded, I said , hang on are you not a manager because I requested the call back from a manager. She said no I am ringing on behalf of the manager and will relay whatever is needed to her. ******* is a valued member of staff and has been here for 14 years, I said, well thats fair enough but you would take the issue differently to a manger and I would like to request yet again to speak to a manger, she even asked what did i expect a manager to say that she could not:eek: I said the issue was not what the manager would say, the issue was the fact that the management should be aware of the depth of the situation all in rather than be briefed on one call at a time. The severity of the matter is more prevelant when the whole situation is discussed rather than one call at a time and the issue would easily have been dealt with in one conversation in January but it was not, for that reason they have lost my account and caused huge amount of stress on my part, I explained in any position I worked in previously I would have lost my job if I spoke to customers in that way and I spent a fair bit as front line customer service, face to face, I would never have dared.
    I am still shocked this is still going on but I have made the decision to contact daily with updates of my complaints even if it is just forwarding the same mails on, until I finally get in touch with someone.

I am so glad I no longer use chorus ntl as I was throwing over €60 a month into a bad serviceand I was not receiving any respect whatsoever. I am satisfied that sky and bt provide me with the service I pay for and it works, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

I am satisfied that sky and bt provide me with the service I pay for and it works, all the time.

I'm similar, I have Sky & Eircom and quite happy, haven't gone near UPC due to the amount of negative feedback I have heard.
    (Can't wait for sky to bring out their B/Band & Phone service -it will be cheaper again :)

Advertisement