Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Motherboard - Moving hard drive

Options
  • 05-05-2009 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey Guys,

Im switching motherboard, due to consant freezing of my current one. I was wondering, will my hard drive still work with all the software on it on the new motherboard?

Killian :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no.

windows will probably blue screen if the HDD controller uses a different chipset also downgrading from a multiprocessor to single will give you a black screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 killian320

I'm buying the same processor, same motherboard socket.... any difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

do you have an external drive to back up your data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 killian320

I don't, unfortunately =[

However on my other computer [far superior] i was wondering if i could put the hard drive in there, boot from my primary, backup the hard drive i put in, and continue with the motherboard transfer on the old computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

killian320 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Im switching motherboard, due to consant freezing of my current one. I was wondering, will my hard drive still work with all the software on it on the new motherboard?

I have done so several times, but you have to be able to tackle driver problems should they arise,if it boots uninstall any driver that are not needed and restart and load drivers from new mobos cd then, I like messing like this, but its far safer to backup data and reinstall bonus a faster machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

Hey Guys,

I have done so several times, but you have to be to tackle driver problems should they arise,if it boots uninstall any driver that are ot needed and restart and lot drivers from new mobo cd then, I like messing like this, but its far safer to backup data and reinstall bonus a faster machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I don't, unfortunately =[

However on my other computer [far superior] i was wondering if i could put the hard drive in there, boot from my primary, backup the hard drive i put in, and continue with the motherboard transfer on the old computer?

can't see why that wouldn't work. it's probably the best way to go, word of advice though dont cut corners, you need to make sure the drive is properlyearthed do i recomen installing it fully (no need to screw it in there) but I destroyed a perfecly good drive by not earthing it properly while doing a quick muck around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If the motherboard uses the same chipset as the old one it could work, otherwise You'll get a BSOD as Windows will have the wrong motherboard driver.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

socket has little to do with the chipset unfortunately

Why are you buying the Same processor ?
    just re use the old one, replace it later if needed

TBH you should run diagnostics on the old system over night before replacing HW because windows freezes Alternatively try running a live linux cd to compare it.

If you have an OEM license of windows they you aren't allowed to use it on another mother board :mad:

You could try installing the driver for the new system on the old one so it's got a better chance of seeing the new HW or setting it to a Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller or whatever is the most generic you can update to manually

Linux tends to be a little happier with the HDD, but snottier about the video driver if different.

Advertisement