Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Upgrade

Options
  • 05-05-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm planning to upgrade the RAM in my old Dell Dimension 5100.
    Specs are a Pentium 4 (Prescott) 3.06Ghz in an Intel i945G/GZ Chipset. Currntly it's running 4x256MB sticks. These are PC-3200 according to CPU-Z.

Problem is I'm not sure what type of RAM I can install....as in PC-xx00, I find it very confusing with all the different types.:o Anyone able to help, I'd like it to be fast as possibly supported

I'd like up to 4GB but I think the mobo only supports 2GB, either way I might buy a 4GB kit as plan a mobo and case upgrade this summer.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Sound out Pleipnir, thanks, that app is great. Turns out I can install up to 8GB, too bad I'm on 32 bit :D

I just noticed that the memory checker states I have 4x256 DDR modules installed, then it states that DDR2 is compatible!

"Currently installed memory:
    256MBDDR PC2-3200 256MBDDR PC2-3200 256MBDDR PC2-3200 256MBDDR PC2-3200"

Possible Upgrades
    "Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-8500,DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*"

Is something up here...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

eshortie wrote: »
    I just noticed that the memory checker states I have 4x256 DDR modules installed, then it states that DDR2 is compatible!

"Currently installed memory:
    256MBDDR PC2-3200 256MBDDR PC2-3200 256MBDDR PC2-3200 256MBDDR PC2-3200"

Possible Upgrades
    "Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-8500,DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*"

Is something up here...?

I assume DDR PC2 really means DDR2 memory. DDR2 uses 240 pins, DDR only uses 184. They're not pin compatible so there's no way your motherboard supports both. The crucial online memory scanner also says your computer is DDR2.

Something like this is a great value upgrade http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334243 . Will make a huge improvement.

Thanks spartacus, that would be great, just bought a new 500W PSU so can install my new hard drive too :D

Was lookin at these, would they be better than the Komplett ones? Just trying to get the best for my budget, around €50/60.

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4Gb_G_Skill_DDR2_PC2_6400_PQ_CL5_Series_800MHz_Dual_Channel_kit/index.html

It says that I can upgrade to PC2-8500 but most of them are 2.2V and seeing as my Dell's bios has no voltage control options I'd rather not risk it.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

go to www.memoryc.ie and use the memory configurator on the top left of the page. It will take 10 seconds to find compatible memory for your Dell

Now I just feel dumb for not noticing that after being on the site, shame it found no memory. Oh well!
    Thanks waraf :)

Edit: I selected a second Dimension 5100 option which was the right one (945G chipset) and it found some, all are PC2-4200, at most 1GB each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

eshortie wrote: »
    Thanks spartacus, that would be great, just bought a new 500W PSU so can install my new hard drive too :D

Was lookin at these, would they be better than the Komplett ones? Just trying to get the best for my budget, around €50/60.

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4Gb_G_Skill_DDR2_PC2_6400_PQ_CL5_Series_800MHz_Dual_Channel_kit/index.html

It says that I can upgrade to PC2-8500 but most of them are 2.2V and seeing as my Dell's bios has no voltage control options I'd rather not risk it.

Thanks again :)

No problem

I was never that big on memory, it's faster ok, but will you notice? There's not much difference and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The PC5300 will be fine. Although there's only 5 euro in the difference when delivery is taken into account so it's up to you!

As long as it's a decent speed (which PC5300 is) 4 gig is 4 gig as far as i'm concerned!

Thanks Spartacus, PC2-6400 it'll be, quick delivery from Memory C and it's only a small price difference as you said.

Thanks all :)

Advertisement