Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up car, relying on public transport

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Furet wrote: »
    After much soul searching, I've decided to give up my car when my insurance lapses in the autumn. It's a luxury for me that I don't really need, and I certainly can't afford it anymore. I think I'll save about €3,000 per year by mothballing it. I'll really miss driving though.

Given your love of driving, which is evident, driving is both a hobby and a means of transport for you. It shocks me that you would give it up, though obviously you know best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Even if it's another thousand, he's still ahead.
    Car depreciation is about 20%/annum? That'd make the car worth only 5k to start with, feasible if he's handy doing his own repairs.

More realistically, on a 20k car, the depreciation would be 4k/annum. And, this assumes a person bought their car for cash, rather than financing it with a loan, in which case interest repayments would be a cost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorDub

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Given your love of driving, which is evident, driving is both a hobby and a means of transport for you. It shocks me that you would give it up, though obviously you know best.

Well, a car can still be a not necessary luxury then. When I still had a car, it was standing around 99% of the time: I didn't need it for getting to work, not for most of my shopping, ... I could get nearly everywhere without the car. Actually, there were years when I filled petrol just once or twice during the summer months.
    But on the occasions I used the car I loved driving. (Maybe because I used it then to drive where it wasn't a hassle to do so?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Luke Crowley

Car depreciation is about 20%/annum? That'd make the car worth only 5k to start with, feasible if he's handy doing his own repairs.

More realistically, on a 20k car, the depreciation would be 4k/annum. And, this assumes a person bought their car for cash, rather than financing it with a loan, in which case interest repayments would be a cost too.

That depends on the car. My car has dropped in value by about €600 since I bought it in 2007, and most of that is due to the general fall in used car prices in the last year. ('95 Mercedes-Benz E200, bought it for €2600, worth about two grand now).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorDub

I think it's definitely not only a matter of money. Just counting euro and cent, it would be a 50/50-situation in most cases around a larger town. There are other aspects coming in as well. For example, insurance, servicing & repairs, having a secure place for the car, break-ins, accidents, ...
    Or, in bad driving conditions, I gladly pay someone else to get me safely where I want and have my mind free to do something else in the mean time.

I found, just the "organisational bits" around having a car took up quite a bit of my mind and time - and most often when I really had no capacity for it. So I consider this the greatest luxury now: I really don't have to worry about any of this anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The depreciation on a 20 year old car is definitely not 4k/annum. A car used domestically (burning only 40 e of petrol a week) will last ten years at least. The depreciation is more like an average of 2k/annum (though it is more in the early years and less in the later years.

Advertisement