Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda History thread

Options
  • 05-05-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

So, who is who in Drogheda's history?

What do you know about it, and who knows most about it in Drogheda in 2009?

What stories were you brought up with about the town; what folklore never made it to the history books?

This is your thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Don't you mean " my " thread for a project :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Don't you mean " my " thread for a project :P

Ah now we'll have less of that cynicism ;)

C'mon ye all must have some folklore and history about the place considering it's around 800 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Dionysus wrote: »
    Ah now we'll have less of that cynicism ;)

C'mon ye all must have some folklore and history about the place considering it's around 800 years old.

What about the alleged caverns underneath Laurence St and the Cord Road?
    The fabled tunnel from Millmount to the Dominican Church?
    The alleged burial site under Millmount?
    The Headless Monk of Magdalene Tower?
    And what's the story with the ship wreck at the Garda Station. How long has it been there?
    I heard St. Oliver's head in the church isn't his head at all (carbon 14 dating placed it a hundred or so years after his death or so I remember hearing...)
    The Star & Cresent was adopted from the Turks who helped us during the famine bless them...poppycock!!
    Louth winning the All-Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I remember being told in school that Scarlett Street was named so because the blood of the people slaughtered by Cromwell flowed down that street like a river. I do think the town has lots of history to be proud of, Millmount, the town walls, the many churches, the Viaduct, and of course Gerrards Shop on West St!

"The alleged burial site under Millmount?"

I think the person that is meant to be buried there is a poet called Amergin.

• Advertisement

"The alleged burial site under Millmount?"

I think the person that is meant to be buried there is a poet called Amergin.

Yes, that's the name. I recall taking kids on a tour of Millmount and getting told this guff about black swans from Egypt from assembling to honour the poet buried under Millmount on the same date every year. The tour guide seemed deranged and she has since moved on (this was about 6 year ago)...

I remember being told in school that Scarlett Street was named so because the blood of the people slaughtered by Cromwell flowed down that street like a river. I do think the town has lots of history to be proud of, Millmount, the town walls, the many churches, the Viaduct, and of course Gerrards Shop on West St!

I remember the same thing though was told it was the blood from the people burned in the church, which even then sounded odd but wasn't to be questioned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Shame on you lot forgetting the headless horseman of beaulieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭positron

As the old adage goes, 'History is written by the winners'...!

Famous45 wrote: »
    Shame on you lot forgetting the headless horseman of beaulieu.

Utter not his name lest he appear from the ether....:D

I think his cousin is the headless monk from Collon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

I think his cousin is the headless monk from Collon

:pac::pac:

And the bizzare tale of the ghost of Elvis wandering the town serenading passers by (especially of the female variety)...some people have even managed to catch this spectre on their camera phones and posted it on youtube...This ghostly character is rumoured to emerge from the Windmill road part of the town ;)

Advertisement