Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm - Dundrum Town Centre Studios

• 05-05-2009 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Will someone tell me what in gods name benefits 2fm by broadcasting from the Dundrum Town Centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Simple. Dundrum Town Centre pay them to.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Doesanyone in Dublin still listen to 2fm (except maybe the mammies who grew up with Gerry Ryan :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Do they still broadcast from the Square too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 russelljames

What I find really pointless about the studio is the fact you cant even see it properly
    I went up to it one day in the hope to look in a window (very much like an American TV Breakfast show) and see some part of a radio studio but instead there is just a door which you need a card or combination to open. The studio seems an utter waste if the general public cant even see into it; be-it from the ground floor or otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mick_irl wrote: »
    Do they still broadcast from the Square too?

Studio is present but never seen it in use. Has a 2FM yellow heart logo on the wall still, so... From memory the front door of it has the logo in between that one and the current one on it too.

Speaking of studios in shopping centres, do 98 still have the one in Stephens Green?
    GSF wrote: »
    Doesanyone in Dublin still listen to 2fm (except maybe the mammies who grew up with Gerry Ryan :eek:)

10.4% weekday share, must be a bit more than the mammies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its for optics more than anything else. So you can squint in at your favourite DJ whilst doing your shopping, albeit, hard to do in Dundrum and The Square.

Also, might it be used in a disaster recovery plan? (cue the puns!) RTÉ would have issues in Dublin if Montrose was out of commission.

Pioneered in this country by Radio Carousel in the Navan Shopping Centre in the early-mid 80's, I remember as a kid seeing them in a little red purpose built studio, in the middle of the mall opposite Fainne Jewellers. Looking back, I thought it was a bit ballsy for a pirate! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

RTE seem to have a fetish for studios in shopping centres. The only explanation that I can think of is that they're in thrall to the American "kids at the mall" thing from the early '80s.

Back in the early '90s when the Square in Tallaght was vying for contention as Centre Of The Universe, they opened a studio there. Now that the Earth has been shown to revolve around Dundrum, they have their studio there.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

fricatus wrote: »
    RTE seem to have a fetish for studios in shopping centres. The only explanation that I can think of is that they're in thrall to the American "kids at the mall" thing from the early '80s.

No, its not a fetish. As I said, they get paid to do it!

Dundrum paid for the studio and part of the deal is a certain number of usages per year. Add in cross-promotion, and its a nice little earner for all concerned.

I agree though, Dundrum is poorly implemented. The studio might as well be in the loft, or not there at all, for all its visual impact. I could never work out why it wasn't designed to be lower down and in full view of the Great Unwashed.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is the content relayed over the sound system to the great unwashed using the centre?

It is quite a novelty these days for the lunchtime show to come from Montrose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

What I find really pointless about the studio is the fact you cant even see it properly
    I went up to it one day in the hope to look in a window (very much like an American TV Breakfast show) and see some part of a radio studio but instead there is just a door which you need a card or combination to open. The studio seems an utter waste if the general public cant even see into it; be-it from the ground floor or otherwise

why exactly would the general public have a need to see into a radio studio while shopping???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

petals wrote: »
    why exactly would the general public have a need to see into a radio studio while shopping???

I think its called having visual interaction with your listeners who are using the centre. You know people like to put faces to the voices they hear each day and it wouldn't do 2fm's profile any harm in getting face to face with their listeners. I thought that would be the main purpose of an OB. It's a pointless exercise. I'm sure presenters and staff are also getting milage and subsistance for travelling from Montrose to Dundrum also. Don't think they are going all the way to Dundrum for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's a novelty as well for the kids. Seeing a normal looking person sitting in a room with headphones and a mike chattering away. It's a good idea on behalf of the shopping centre because the presenter will mention the place. Do they still have promotions - the ones that go "The ninth person to run up to Billy in Golden Discs and tell him who stars in High School Musical will win a High School Musical Box Set and a t-shirt" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I listen to it in work (hey it's either that or Radio na Gaelteachta) and Larry Gogan's up there most Sundays. Seems like the contestants on his Just a Minute quizzes are the shoppers up there... and he plugs the place no end xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

He has to. It's in the script that he hasn't deviated from in forty years.

Robojock of the highest calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I see Red FM in Cork are opening their own little studio in Mahon Point... It's freakin' tiny...

I personally don't see the point of these outside studios, but at least they're not those stupid & (i'm guessing) expensive road-casters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

dulpit wrote: »

I personally don't see the point of these outside studios, but at least they're not those stupid & (i'm guessing) expensive road-casters...

I passed by the Shannonside roadcaster in Edgeworthstown today....LOL
    Not a single person was anywhere near it. The presenter must have felt a right tit doing an OB to nobody.....I don't even think they had loudspeakers to listen to anyway! I flicked over to Shannonside on FM to hear the output and the audio (voice) was worse than telephone quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I flicked over to Shannonside on FM to hear the output and the audio (voice) was worse than telephone quality.
    That is because they use a phone (ISDN if available) for the audio to be returned to HQ.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That is because they use a phone (ISDN if available) for the audio to be returned to HQ.

Thats shockingly unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Dub13 wrote: »
    Thats shockingly unprofessional.

ISDN can be pretty decent to send voice over actually, if you're in the 256kb/384 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

Dublin's 98 still use their studio in Stephen's Green they broadcast now and then on the thurnder bus outside it, speaking of stations that have studio in shopping center, didn't FM104 have a studio in Nutgrove Shopping Center?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

alinton is right on this. It's all about the advertising revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

MYOB wrote: »
    Speaking of studios in shopping centres, do 98 still have the one in Stephens Green?

Yep they do...do they not broadcast from it anymore? I never see anyone in it...

Yep they do...do they not broadcast from it anymore? I never see anyone in it...

they do broadcast from there, Steven Cooper is broadcasting from as we speak

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

They use it regularly. Rick O'Shea is often in there.

faceman wrote: »
    They use it regularly. Rick O'Shea is often in there.

Rick O'Shea doesn't broadcast from Steven's Green Shopping center he don't even work for Dublin's 98 he's on RTE 2FM

Advertisement