Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes and tesco's cheaper?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

I heard on the radio that dunnes and tesco's dropped their prices in sligo to prevent people going up north.

Did anyone notice a price drop yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

It's been all over the news for the past while that Tesco are reducing their prices but cutting out the Irish Suppliers or something and it was introduced in 11 Tesco stores near the border. That's why Tesco in town had been closed since Sunday and only re-opened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I heard the story half:o Is it really cheaper now? I heard something like a 20% avarage price drop. Was in dunnes yesterday and they had put the prices down from washing stuff etc. didnt look at anything else due to baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Alot of lines are significantly reduced. I have noticed some stuff is gone from the shelves though. No Galtee sausages for one thing:(

I've noticed a big difference. A few examples. Roma Risotto Rice is €1.10, down from €2.19. Lavazza Coffee was around €5.00 (for the Oro) now €3.50ish. Toffee Crisp 5 pack was almost €2.30, now €1.76. That's my diet right there.:D

Might still be cheaper heading north, but probably want to be doing a large shop to justify the drive and the time. Will probably help keep people in town, especially as Sligo has a far better range of shops for clothes etc.

Wonder why they couldn't do it a year ago:rolleyes: I believe it's only applicable to border areas, so Sligo, Carrick, Ballinamore etc. will all see the price drop. Rough on other places though, even though they might see some reduction. Probably bring people to Sligo who felt the north was too far to drive to regularly, from places like Ballina, Athlone, Roscommon, Claremorris etc.

I think nobody really likes driving a long time for shopping. Indeed why didn't they do it a year ago. I might go every 2 weeks to enniskillen instead of every week even if it is a wee bit dearer. We still will be going because of the choice but I ratther spend as little time at shopping as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

its all well and good but how many jobs are going to be lost locally due to them not stocking from Irish suppliers, does that mean the likes of the Connaught Gold randge will no longer be sold in Tesco ?

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    its all well and good but how many jobs are going to be lost locally due to them not stocking from Irish suppliers, does that mean the likes of the Connaught Gold randge will no longer be sold in Tesco ?

And how many jobs would be lost if we all still shop in the North? Think this is the better one from the two evils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

but why choose from 2 evils??
    could we not just shop at home and let them keep irish supplyers-simple!
    did they drop local/national supplyers in UK when €uro was cheaper??
    i ve never been to north in years (since the strip searches)
    some people have short memorys
    definetly not trying to cause aggro here but just feel it must be said:(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

il gatto wrote: »
    Alot of lines are significantly reduced. I have noticed some stuff is gone from the shelves though. No Galtee sausages for one thing:(

I've noticed a big difference. A few examples. Roma Risotto Rice is €1.10, down from €2.19. Lavazza Coffee was around €5.00 (for the Oro) now €3.50ish. Toffee Crisp 5 pack was almost €2.30, now €1.76. That's my diet right there.:D

Might still be cheaper heading north, but probably want to be doing a large shop to justify the drive and the time. Will probably help keep people in town, especially as Sligo has a far better range of shops for clothes etc.

Wonder why they couldn't do it a year ago:rolleyes: I believe it's only applicable to border areas, so Sligo, Carrick, Ballinamore etc. will all see the price drop. Rough on other places though, even though they might see some reduction. Probably bring people to Sligo who felt the north was too far to drive to regularly, from places like Ballina, Athlone, Roscommon, Claremorris etc.

i work for the compay who used to supply lavazza to tesco they only now are reducing the price even though they have been buying it from england in sterling for the last 8 month so guess why the price is only going down now because they have been ripping everyone off in this country for a long time and laughing all the way to the bank thank you paddy consumer

but why choose from 2 evils??
    could we not just shop at home and let them keep irish supplyers-simple!
    did they drop local/national supplyers in UK when €uro was cheaper??
    i ve never been to north in years (since the strip searches)
    some people have short memorys
    definetly not trying to cause aggro here but just feel it must be said:(

Because we don't live in a ideal world?

Just wanted to know if it was really cheaper so I could affort to shop here again.

It must be cheaper. I went in this evening at around 11pm, didn't look at the prices though as I wouldn't know what was reduced and what wasn't as I didn't know prices from before hand.
    There was really long queues and the place was really busy considering the time of night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

bobcar61 wrote: »
    It must be cheaper. I went in this evening at around 11pm, didn't look at the prices though as I wouldn't know what was reduced and what wasn't as I didn't know prices from before hand.
    There was really long queues and the place was really busy considering the time of night.
    I have heard it is actually busier. Which is odd considering this is apparently here to stay and not just a sale that is ending soon.

Are you sure it's for good? I thought it was just a trial and if successful it will be rolled out across the board or is it that its here to stay and if not too successful they will keep it in the 11 stores as it is at the moment and leave all the other stores as they are at the moment.

They should roll it out in the Dublin stores because what's stopping people there traveling 30 minutes up the road to Drogheda and let people who work in the Dublin stores lose their jobs if business is really slow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's for good? I thought it was just a trial and if successful it will be rolled out across the board or is it that its here to stay and if not too successful they will keep it in the 11 stores as it is at the moment and leave all the other stores as they are at the moment.

They should roll it out in the Dublin stores because what's stopping people there traveling 30 minutes up the road to Drogheda and let people who work in the Dublin stores lose their jobs if business is really slow.

I imagine they are only doing it to test the water. If there is any significant backlash over it then they'll probably drop it and start sourcing from their irish suppliers again. If they notice increased sales and relatively little backlash then they'll probably roll it out across the country.

they said they were gonna do it all over the country, but first the border county's. I thought this was odd. It just keeps people shopping somewhere else then but at least the money stays in the republic.

So it's probaly busier with people that normaly go to enniskillen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

When people say they go cross-border shopping they usually mean they go shopping in Asda.

Last time I was in Enniskillen, Asda was packed while Tesco's was practically deserted. Will the new" Tesco in Sligo make that much difference? I wonder.

Essexboy wrote: »
    When people say they go cross-border shopping they usually mean they go shopping in Asda.

Last time I was in Enniskillen, Asda was packed while Tesco's was practically deserted. Will the new" Tesco in Sligo make that much difference? I wonder.

Wel I have to say we always shop at tesco's because asda is so busy, so I have no idea how cheap asda is, just know from most people around me that their own brand i sh*te. I do hope the price cuts are making a difference so I can shop in the south. Carrick will be my shop of choice though but will go to sligo if I have to!

Wel I have to say we always shop at tesco's because asda is so busy, so I have no idea how cheap asda is, just know from most people around me that their own brand i sh*te. I do hope the price cuts are making a difference so I can shop in the south. Carrick will be my shop of choice though but will go to sligo if I have to!

I actually quite like a lot of Asda own brand products. Tesco I'm not too sure of. It might persuade me to now get a few bits and pieces in Tesco whereas before I would have avoided it at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

A lot of the Tesco own brand is actually quite good, as far as own brand products go. Its great Tesco have brought down the prices and being busy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

jimmmy wrote: »
    A lot of the Tesco own brand is actually quite good, as far as own brand products go..

I agree! I don't buy everything own brand, but I do buy firelighters, toilet paper, pasta, rice, fruit & veg and I find on those alone you can save about 50% compared to the bigger brands.

Was in Carrick on Shannon today and it was really really busy! I think a lot of people stay now in the south. A lot of things are a lot cheaper and are the same price as up north.

Still don't understand why they didn't do it for the whole of Ireland, but seemily it will. It was really busy, the whole retail car park was full. Carrick was booming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement