Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Tocco Ultra GPS

• 05-05-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got this working? Mine reads 'Searching for GPS satellites' but times out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 poppie26

+1
    I"D be interested in this answer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Nothing in the manual or Samsung site, Google brings me back here. :mad:

Can they advertise and sell this feature that simply doesn't work?

hi
    I got it to connect once today but all it showed was longitude and latitude thats not much good for anything:( hasent connected again tho. I went back to voda shop today because keypad lights stopped working nd asked aabout GPS guy said it was because I was using an old sim card, changed to a new 1 but hasent made any differance to GPS :mad:.

I'll pop in a get a new card too (current one is my old RTG upgraded) and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

i got the GPS working twice, but it does nothing. and there isn't a GPS program out that supports it, i have google maps on mine, but it uses data not GPS.

It is abit pointless having GPS on it if all you see is the longitute and latitude.

• Advertisement

from trawlling through other fourms this softwere has come up a few times amAze GPS you do have to pay for using through internet. please accept my apoligies if this is usless as i'm a compleat beginner in all things computer based:o

i just downloaded the amaze GPS and i think it just uses GPRS/3G to locate yourself, it showed me that i was in the city center.

allen175 wrote: »
    i just downloaded the amaze GPS and i think it just uses GPRS/3G to locate yourself, it showed me that i was in the city center.

At my house it (GPRS Google maps) sometimes locates me in somewhere in Sweden. Great, thanks.

allen175 wrote: »
    i got the GPS working twice, but it does nothing. and there isn't a GPS program out that supports it, i have google maps on mine, but it uses data not GPS.

It is abit pointless having GPS on it if all you see is the longitute and latitude.

Some apps here -

http://www.getjar.com/software/Java/Samsung_240x320/Search/gps

Does searching for a GPS location cost? i just looked at the manual to see what the different G icons mean at the top, some mean GPRS, EDGE and HSDPA, but do these cost while locating a GPS signal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

the built in gps is used to "geotag" any photos/ videos you take with the phone.some UK units ship with route 66. but the voda branded one here does not.
    Voda do not support sat nav software.
    Be careful with amazegps, or other similar apps....these use DATA to create mapping. This could prove costly.

it can take up to 3 mins to lock onto the satellites OUTDOORS,may never do so indoors, unless youre near windows.

As for the keypad backlight, it would seem this may be a firmware issue. I have had 2 ultras with this problem in a week!!. Samsung dont normally do firmware updates, so its not looking good.

Im returning it for a refund, only caveat is i availed of an upgrade from voda. Im going to try to get this reversed, with a view to holding off for the next gen iphone AND porting to o2!

battery life is not great either, and even worse when the GPS module is enabled!

on the plus side, the vodafone "branded" one here is completely unlocked, it will operate on any sim.

So no GPS with Vodafone? They're listing it as one of the features, I think I need to have a word.

the GPS receiver is there....but no Sat nav software included

It has a 'search for GPS' option which does nothing, if I load a third party GPS app will it work?

JustinOval wrote: »
    It has a 'search for GPS' option which does nothing, if I load a third party GPS app will it work?

search for gps= turns on the gps receiver and it looks for satellites.

if you had 3rd party satnav software installed it will work.
    your problem will be getting 3rd party satnav software 9 which uses gps as opposed to online DATA.

samsung use a propritiery operating system.

But if the UK one ship with route 66, could we not just get that and use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hongler

Slightly off topic but is anyone as frustrated as I am with how the tocca handles texting in predictive mode? Its absolutely ridiculous, won't write simple words with puncuation like AREN'T, WON'T, DIDN'T.....

Must say however the tocca has a top notch camera, radio and music player but if you can't send a text in plain english without turning off predictive text and spending 5 mins to type it out whats the point?

Just upgraded from a nokia N91 and signed up for another year with voda, went back to the shop to query changing the phone, only to be sneered at - not happy at all.

Messaging > 12.Settings > 1.SMS > 1. Sending options > Character Support

Set to 'Automatic' and it will switch to 'I've' on a single press of the 0 key. ;)

Camera is great, I'm very happy with that.

• Advertisement

Another annoyance I have discovered is when taking out of my pocket to answer a call I often accidentally press the button to increase the ringer volume,
    and can't answer until the volume bar disappears.

Why would anyone want to increase the volume on a phone that is already ringing? :rolleyes:

Hi
    The promblems with this phone just get more an more, mines ging back tomorrow battery is only lasing 22hrs, can't send picture messages, can't download new widets, irish dictionary is pants plus I had to pay for it to enable full use :( plus there is no way to correct a mistake when using the keypad so you have to go back a page:mad:I cud go on an on an on on the plus side texting is getting eaiser nd camera is great

Battery life isn't great, but I plug mine in at the computer or sometimes in the car.

I could download Widgets at first but not yesterday, they're sh!te anyway. :D

Mine couldn't receive an MMS last week but I'm sure if you call customer service they can sort that - I haven't tried since...

Texting - touch the screen where you need to edit. ;)

Good points - Gmail works great, taking pics and uploading to Photobucket is very easy too.

think I might just have a faulty phone as all set up for pictue messaging, confirmed by costumer support:( took ph off charge at two today after all night charge down to three bars already with very little usage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Slightly off-topic but still about the Tocco Ultra. I've been trying to download some of the other widgets and keep getting a message "Forbidden" when trying to do so.

Any ideas whats wrong? No doubt something stupid I'm not doing.... :o

Yeah, I'm getting the same...

I don't I have downloaded any now that I've had a look - I get to the download page and then the 'forbidden' message.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hongler

Cheers Justin, thats that sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Sorry to butt in but im thinking of getting this as an upgrade and was just wondering how it handles java apps. Specifically ones like aft, cabbage and the cinema listings one, do they work just like the would on a normal non screen one?

do you have a link to the apps and i will try them out and get back to you.

• Advertisement

I use Cabbage, Opera and Google maps - no problems.

Advertisement