Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lad doing 190 on m50

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KTRIC wrote: »
    Wheelied for the first time myself there a while ago. I was revving the engine of the ZZR , showing off in front of two guys on a Blade.

Lights changed, I popped the clutch and didn't know what was happening :eek: wheel in the air, hearth in my mouth.

I got home and I was shaking, told the missus and said I'm never doing it again.

ha ha ha excellent.
    I remember me mate brought me down to the industrial estate to show me how to wheely me bandit at the time. He told me to bring her upto around 4500-5000 RPM then leave the throttle off and whack it back on again. Well if I never, The front shot up like a bullet. I pooed a little and when the bike came back down, silly me forgot that my nads where above the tank. Bloody hell the pain. I had an inverted sack for awhile after haha.

Years back, Pat Sinnot( some legend) that works in H&B on the cork road in Waterford had a Gilera runner 180 and he was at the traffic lights by the clock tower with his lack on the back of the bike. He took off to fast and the front lifted. it wasnt until he stopped at the traffic lights by the tower hotel that he noticed his lack was missing. Ha ha poor chap had to go half way back up the quay to pick her up again lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

seanybiker wrote: »
    ha ha ha excellent.
    I remember me mate brought me down to the industrial estate to show me how to wheely me bandit at the time. He told me to bring her upto around 4500-5000 RPM then leave the throttle off and whack it back on again. Well if I never, The front shot up like a bullet. I pooed a little and when the bike came back down, silly me forgot that my nads where above the tank. Bloody hell the pain. I had an inverted sack for awhile after haha.

Years back, Pat Sinnot( some legend) that works in H&B on the cork road in Waterford had a Gilera runner 180 and he was at the traffic lights by the clock tower with his lack on the back of the bike. He took off to fast and the front lifted. it wasnt until he stopped at the traffic lights by the tower hotel that he noticed his lack was missing. Ha ha poor chap had to go half way back up the quay to pick her up again lol.

Thing is, the bandit is a truely horrible bike to wheelie (in fact its a horrible bike to own full stop), you've to give it soo much welly its just not worth it.

Beats me why people still like the bandit, not enough torgue for wheelies anyway and all you get is a yukky snatch, the front paws the air then drops like a bag of sh*t.

You said early you've a Gixxer now, wheelie off the gas - BUT NOT IN FIRST GEAR!, it'll come up too sudden. And remember to always cover the back brake, if you go beyond the balance point shutting off the gas won't save your ass but tipping the back brake will bring the front down nicely.

IMO if you want to learn to wheelie buy yourself an old Honda Dominator, it won't cost you a barrel of cash (except in replacing chains) when you let her drop. But learning to wheelie, in my experience is all about having confidence in reaching the balance point, then maintaining it and changing gear up there (clutchless - in fact I change up clutchless on all bikes even with both wheeles on the ground).

As for wheeling in the wet, its harder only because of wheel spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

Was talking to one of the lads a while back he was on about some nutter in Cork riding a Busa with no front breaks and he lost the chap behind him. Madness I tell ya. wonder who that lunatic was.
    i know nothing about it

:pac::pac:

i thought the bandit was great for wheelies. Went up no bother. If i had the money i would definately get another one.
    The gixxer is mental alright. Bloody thing flies up like a lunatic lol.

i thought the bandit was great for wheelies. Went up no bother. If i had the money i would definately get another one.
    The gixxer is mental alright. Bloody thing flies up like a lunatic lol.

The bandit is lump of out dated crap IMO.

If you want to learn to wheelie properly don't risk the cost of mistakes on the gixxer.

Your also best doing it with someone who is pretty good at wheelies, and I mean getting the front up and holding it there, anyone can pop the front of a bike.

They'll tell you when your nearing the balance point, without them its hard to gain the confidence because just a few inches off the ground feels huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm going to go ahead and guess popping wheelies on a motorbike is compleatly different to poppin' one on a mountain bike?
    If it's not though, it could be usefell learning on a push bike first, even just to get an idea of it.

Noobie in here btw, i've been lurking the past few days, as my love of bikes has been growing quite rappidly.

The bandit is lump of out dated crap IMO.

If you want to learn to wheelie properly don't risk the cost of mistakes on the gixxer.

Your also best doing it with someone who is pretty good at wheelies, and I mean getting the front up and holding it there, anyone can pop the front of a bike.

They'll tell you when your nearing the balance point, without them its hard to gain the confidence because just a few inches off the ground feels huge.
    One of me mates is excellent at them but anytime I ask him for tips he just hops up on me gixxer and flies up and down the road on the back wheel then just says do what I done lol.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and guess popping wheelies on a motorbike is compleatly different to poppin' one on a mountain bike?
    If it's not though, it could be usefell learning on a push bike first, even just to get an idea of it.

Noobie in here btw, i've been lurking the past few days, as my love of bikes has been growing quite rappidly.

course its different. No pedals on motorbikes lol. I presume ya would find the balance point easier, dunno though really. Got up on a mountain bike a few months back and nearly killed meself on it :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

course its different. No pedals on motorbikes lol. I presume ya would find the balance point easier, dunno though really. Got up on a mountain bike a few months back and nearly killed meself on it :D:D

This lad looks happy enough with his Aerox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h5oplNCtDo

Haha, well i know there's no pedals, but you have to find the biting point and keep it at that once you have your center of gravity.
    Really what you are looking to do is get your wait evened out over the center of your rear axel, then once you've done that, keep the right amount of "push" going.
    Its been the same on any wheeled "thing" i've tried on.
    Haven't had the balls to try on a motorbike though, getting tempted. :pac:

• Advertisement

Haha, well i know there's no pedals, but you have to find the biting point and keep it at that once you have your center of gravity.
    Really what you are looking to do is get your wait evened out over the center of your rear axel, then once you've done that, keep the right amount of "push" going.
    Its been the same on any wheeled "thing" i've tried on.
    Haven't had the balls to try on a motorbike though, getting tempted. :pac:
    what bike ya got. Give it a shot sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

As for wheeling in the wet, its harder only because of wheel spin.

That is brilliant! I like it :D

what bike ya got. Give it a shot sure

Don't have one yet. :(
    I get shots of mates bikes on private roads, i'll be doing the thoery test soon though. Hoping to get on the road for the summer.

More or less your getting the bike to do the same thing, ie your using the back wheel to try to push the front wheel out of its way, and the only way the back can do that is to push the front up!.

As in a push bike some motorbikes might need a pull on the bars and sit back a little on the saddle, low powered/low torque bikes like the Bandit 600 is a case in point. To really get that up you need to sit right back in the saddle, empty tank, drop the clutch and a pull on the bar's.

But without getting too complicated about it, bicycle or motorbike the mechanics are the same, your unbalancing the front (in the case of a motorbike by shutting off the gas) then throwing your weight/power into the back wheel and the front SHOULD lift.

you need to sit right back in the saddle, empty tank, drop the clutch and a pull on the bar's.

i wouldnt do that with a firestorm :pac::pac:
    i droped the clutch once by accident and the bike nearly went vertical :pac:

slapper wrote: »
    i wouldnt do that with a firestorm :pac::pac:
    i droped the clutch once by accident and the bike nearly went vertical :pac:
    bahahahaha. not a good idea alright.

bahahahaha. not a good idea alright.
    toll bridge in fermoy just taking off slowly cos i was 1 of the first through the toll and was waiting front wheel went chest hight and my right leg slipped of the peg :( i shat my self

till a few min later when i was doing 1x0mph down the motorway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Had the gf on the back of the Blackbird going up to Galway awhile ago. :pac:

Pulled in for a quick break and a cig at the side of the road, and when done we jumped back on the bike.

I was a little over enthusiastic to get going again, so wound on the throttle a bit too much and the bike wheelies right up into second gear.

Was told in no uncertain terms that if it even happens again with her on the back, that she’s not getting back on again.. :p

DivX wrote: »
    Had the gf on the back of the Blackbird going up to Galway some time ago. :pac:

Pulled in for a cig for a quick break at the side of the road, and when done we jumped back on the bike and I was a little enthusiastic to get going, so wound on the throttle and the bike wheelies right up into second gear. Was told in no uncertain terms that if it even happens again with her on the back then she’s not getting on again.. :p
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

ha ha ha epic

• Advertisement
Advertisement