Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek 2009 - What did you think? **POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT**

Options
  • 05-05-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Just back from the movies.ie screening in Cineworld.
    I'm sure a few others have seen it between previews/media screenings/premiere by now.
    What did you think overall of it?

Personally, I thought it was fantastic. Very good addition to the series and definite rewatchability in it.

I must say the casting, score, soundtrack, and production overall couldn't be faulted.

Plot was immense.
    Not that complicated even with all the time-travel bits. Easy to follow for non-trekkies, and super character driven stories for a cast we know and love (even with the odd spin it had).

Well, opinions...

What did you think of it? 134 votes

"I've been waiting for this day my whole life... This day of reckoning"
    0%
    "I like this ship. It's Exciting"
    34%
    vasch_roXithusstereo_stevespooky donkeymiseyawnstretchCactus ColtbaKiiththelordofcheesestakeyAn Bradán FeasaRon DMCRosserchopperbyrneMac 79quark01salad dodgerjcrowbarthehomeofDob 46 votes
    "You will always be a child of two worlds"
    44%
    mewsoManachred_iceVictorazezilNORTH1VokesThe_KeeperPepe LeFritsGoodshapebabyhackJimtelemachusArphaRimaNuMarvelJohnny Stormqzdimejinky99BranoicDades 60 votes
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence"
    12%
    MemnochSimiRichardStarknorrie ruggertj-music.comyoucancallmealDanRmusiknonstopL31mr0dBlazernyarlothothepNiskabcmfGalwayGunnerc0mpliantFunkyspunkball 17 votes
    "Did you leave the parking brake on?"
    8%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarUser45701senordingdongLIGHTNINGgoldenbrownAutomanrgbm1pmcfNOGMaxpowerRKDusSerafijn 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Just a note to say to continue with the example set by Ronny Mitchell with regards to the use of spoiler tags for the upcoming film until general release

Thanks and regards,

Woden

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

spoliers !!! ? :eek: f**k that , i will tell you everything about the movie

first KIRK KICK SOME ASS , then he KICKS some more ASS, also SPOCK KICKS SOME ASS , then they get into SPACE AND START KICKING ASS.........OH AND THE ships named ENTERPRISE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FYI I am 49 years old and I have been a Trek fan for 40 ****in' long years. For me TOS is beyond any kind of criticism. You may say "TOS is cheesy", I say "well, you would have had to have been there." Trek has been a big part of my life. So that's where I'm coming from :cool:

I had a lot of reservations in advance about this movie: reboot, prequel, 90210-style recasting, dumbing-down, JJ not a Trek fan etc

Anyway, bottom line: I really enjoyed this movie. I want to see sequel, after sequel, after sequel......................:D

If I was William Shatner I would be filling out the adoption papers for Chris Pine :P

Not to say its perfect, already multiple nitpicks are forming. Like my major role-model, Comic Book Guy, I will have to see this movie another 26 times before I can fully develop my opinion on it, but if you like Trek, if you have an open mind and an open heart and if your expectations are not too high then I think you will enjoy this film.

Finally a movie that addresses the key philosophical question that has underlain all Trek since it's inception in 1966:
    "Do still they have sandwiches in the future?" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rgbm1

"Did you leave the parking brake on?"
    I'm a long time Trek fan as well. While a few things take a bit of getting used to I really enjoyed it overall. I think it will be a huge hit worldwide.

The cast were as good as we could hope for, some did an impression really well, Urban was spot on as McCoy, Chekov was a bit much, luckily Pine did his own spin on Kirk and Quinto has Spock's look as if he was born for it.

It's the first time since the motion picture that a Trek movie has had the budget to really show the scope of the story. I'm looking forward to the next one already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

just back from the midnight screening in tallaght, i really really enjoyed it but i am still not sure if i liked it.
    Some of the lines they take are just so out of left field, i was left reeling from some of them and still kind of shocked.
    I will see it again just to take everything in properly.

Cast are outstanding and effects top notch, this is an ideal movie to grab new fans but there is just so much new things for old fans to take in
    basically all my trek dvd's are gone, in terms of the new timeline. All the stories i loved are 'gone'.
    Will take some adjusting to be honest, i just don't know yet how i am going to take that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It was very very good. Definitely, without a doubt, would like to see more from this ship and this crew.

It's easier to criticise... so...
    I missed the old music :(. I anticipated that they'd do their own thing with it but I kept expect the old tunes would bubble to the surface at opportune moments and it never happened --- the Enterprise reveal for instance. Not the same without the old Trek fanfair.
    The break-neck speed of it all. Not necessarily a bad thing but, as a Trek fan, I'd have enjoyed seeing the characters interact a bit more (what interaction there was between them was top-notch).

And pretty much everything else was brilliant as far as I can remember. When the next one out? :)

basically all my trek dvd's are gone, in terms of the new timeline. All the stories i loved are 'gone'.
    Really? That sucks. I've still got mine :)

/puts on some TNG and enjoys a 'classic Trek' episode.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Really? That sucks. I've still got mine :)

/puts on some TNG and enjoys a 'classic Trek' episode.

You mean an episode
    that, in the trek universe, will never now happen
    ?

You mean an episode
    that, in the trek universe, will never now happen
    ?

No,
    all that stuff happened in Trekiverse 1 and now elder Spock finds himself in alternative timeline Trekiverse 2 where things will probably continue to happen differently. That doesn't mean that Trekiverse 1 has stopped existing. Since Spock is now openly from the future presumably he can share TNG-era technology from his universe with pre-TOS-era Starfleet in timeline 2. This will probably make the timelines diverge further and explain more changes/updates that we will see in the sequels. Personally I am quite happy with the alternative timeline explanation for the reboot. Also its quite possible that Vulcan may be restored in future sequels and other changes "corrected".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The biggest wtf bit of the new film was
    Spock and Uhura. I'm gonna have to rewatch some classic trek to see where that came from.

Overall, I thought it was brilliant, at one point
    (when Vulcan had been destroyed), I thought we were gonna see a First Contact type story with them going back to prevent it happening, but thankfully they steered clear of it, making the story much better in the end.

Still on a buzz from it, gonna go again on Sunday I reckon. Second viewing might bring more clarity.

Oh, and I hated that little furry ewok thingy Scotty was mates with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Oh, and I hated that little furry ewok thingy Scotty was mates with.

I thought he was funny!! I loved the film, gonna go again over the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Really enjoyed it - a good, entertaining film. Three stars overall - decent flick, but missing that critical mass to achieve fission...
    Thought Urban was wonderful as Bones (even doing a DeForest Kelly impersonation "Green blooded hobgoblin") - the casting in general was, mostly, spot on. Korean Sulu? (though apart from that he was quite good). Seweteen year old, comwic wrelief Chekow? Eric Bana hamme dit up quite well. And Nimoy did look old.

Plot was decent - if fairly pedestrian. At least they didn't use the "red matter" or black-hole at the end as a reset switch. It also moved on at a good, fast pace, without too much breaks of mis-judged "comedy". What comic-relief was used (Chekov, Pavel) wa, though slightly annoying, funny, and did not impede or slow the plot.

Acton set-pieces were all well coordinated, and the FX were excellent. This was what worried me most after the trailers - I find the quick cut's and music-videoesq editing of the trailers gave the FX a bland, almost generic, look. Fortunately they were up to scratch in the movie.

Found the music ebbing between generic summer blockbuster fair and poor. With the rich tapestry of Trek music (original series and movies) to draw upon, for inspiration if nothing else, it should have been so much better. And, at the end when the TOS theme's were finally played they were jarringly different and only highlighted the poor quality of the overall score.

Disliked the new look Enterprise, especially the nacelles. Not sure if it's because of the general aesthetic or just because it's different from that classic (and movie refit) Constitution class beaut....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

I went to see this film in the Omniplex in Limerick at 8pm this evening. It was brilliant !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Just back from the movies.ie screening in Cineworld.

I was at the 14:30 showing there.
    It was fantastic.
    Roll on the next one.

biggest WTF? moment was
    what happened to Amanda
    and then the Holy S**t moment of
    Kirk going full throttle to rub it in

:D
    "Have you got numb-tongue?"
    "I can fix that
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Loved it..my only wtf moment was
    the beastie boys 'sabotage' playing in the car hes stolen when hes a kid..just outta place in an uncomfortable way

other than that i love what he's ended it
    i think it's brilliant and we should be positive cos its opened it all up for possible new series and new adventures..i loved it

Good talk by J.J. Abrams at TED here (not strictly Trek related) :
    http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/j_j_abrams_mystery_box.html

I wouldn't be his biggest fan but I think his philosophy here suits Star Trek perfectly. The Star Trek universe is a huge magic box. Hope he's back for number (1)2.

Loved it..my only wtf moment was
    the beastie boys 'sabotage' playing in the car hes stolen when hes a kid..just outta place in an uncomfortable way
    I didn't really mind Sabptage... hadn't heard the song in ages, great with the surround sound :D

More jarring were the Budweiser and Nokia mentions but... as much as I'd hate to be condoning product placement... it did help cement this film in the real world. Which was good. Earth seemed a lot more real than any other time I've seen it in the franchise.

Goodshape wrote: »

More jarring were the Budweiser and Nokia mentions but... as much as I'd hate to be condoning product placement... it did help cement this film in the real world. Which was good. Earth seemed a lot more real than any other time I've seen it in the franchise.

even the bowels of the ship looked authentic.

super clean bridges, where the officers can frolic but everywhere else is a work place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Fantastic movie with one exception , Wynona Ryder. That was some woeful casting, why not just use an older actress ?? She seriously bend over for some exec to get that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

this was pretty much the most hands down awesome thing in ages... though i felt this film was more about spock than kirk for some reason. quinto was excellent i must say, along with karl urban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

One word. Awesome!

• Advertisement

Gaz wrote: »
    Fantastic movie with one exception , Wynona Ryder. That was some woeful casting, why not just use an older actress ?? She seriously bend over for some exec to get that role.

Come here, I would have bent over for some exec, for a role in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The biggest wtf bit of the new film was
    Spock and Uhura. I'm gonna have to rewatch some classic trek to see where that came from.

Akair this has nothing to do with TOS. It's a change in the timeline.
    Spock only makes a connection with Uhuru because she shows him sympathy and affection when he loses his planet, which never happened in TOS. Also we have to assume that Spocks father would never of confided in him that he married his mother out of love and not pure logic. This revelation could of led him to be more open in accepting his feelings for Uhuru

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

I went to see this film in the Omniplex in Limerick at 8pm this evening. It was brilliant !

Screen 4? Same showing as I was at.

Gaz wrote: »

She's only in the movie for about 10 seconds ?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Spock only makes a connection with Uhuru because she shows him sympathy and affection when he loses his planet

I got the impression that they were together before that?

Might just be because it was one of the spoilers (I are weak) I read before seeing the film.. so I was expecting it. But when they first showed a hint of the relationship on screen, I thought it seemed as though this is something they had been hiding -- rather than being something totally new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Spock only makes a connection with Uhuru because she shows him sympathy and affection when he loses his planet, which never happened in TOS. Also we have to assume that Spocks father would never of confided in him that he married his mother out of love and not pure logic. This revelation could of led him to be more open in accepting his feelings for Uhuru

I saw it last night, I thought it was brilliant, opens up endless possibilities for future episodes.

I'm afraid you're wrong L31mr0d
    Spock and Uhuru obviously have a relationship that predates the destruction of Vulcan because in the part where the cadets are being assigned to their ships, when Uhuru remonstrates with Spock because she didn't get assigned to the Enterprise despite being top of the class etc., she makes it obvious that they are an "item" by saying she'd been "orally sensitive" ;) and Spock says he didn't want to seem like he'd given her preferential treatment because of their relationship.

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're wrong L31mr0d
    Spock and Uhuru obviously have a relationship that predates the destruction of Vulcan because in the part where the cadets are being assigned to their ships, when Uhuru remonstrates with Spock because she didn't get assigned to the Enterprise despite being top of the class etc., she makes it obvious that they are an "item" by saying she'd been "orally sensitive" ;) and Spock says he didn't want to seem like he'd given her preferential treatment because of their relationship.

Well I was merely speculating. It might turn out that they where an item previous to Vulcans destruction, however your understanding of the scene between Spock and Uhuru, before boarding the enterprise, could also be wrong. She said she had been "aurally sensitive" referring to her training and expertise. The reason he didn't want to put her on the ship with him was that he didn't want to be showing favouritism for any of his students.

Well I was merely speculating. It might turn out that they where an item previous to Vulcans destruction, however your understanding of the scene between Spock and Uhuru, before boarding the enterprise, could also be wrong. She said she had been "aurally sensitive" referring to her training and expertise. The reason he didn't want to put her on the ship with him was that he didn't want to be showing favouritism for any of his students.

I'm certain she said "orally" and how would he be showing favouritism if she was just like any other student? :confused:

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    she was just like any other student? :confused:

She wasn't though, Spock said she was unrivalled in her aural abilities. He didn't want to be showing favouritism by assigning his best student to the same ship as himself.

• Advertisement

She wasn't though, Spock said she was unrivalled in her aural abilities. He didn't want to be showing favouritism by assigning his best student to the same ship as himself.

Riiiiiiggghhhtt! So it'd be favouritism by placing the best student in the flagship of the fleet? Because she's the best student! :confused: Logical!

It's pretty obvious they had some kind of relationship, but whatever you think yourself.

Advertisement