Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek 2009 - What did you think? **POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

7 pages too many to read this late at night. Just back from the film now.

It's very not Star Trek. It's very Star Trek.

I really liked it a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

"Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence"
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with it being the flagship. It's got to do with the fact that Spock was assigned to the Enterprise so it would look like favouritism if he assigned his best student to himself. Do you understand favouritism? It would look like he was favouring Uhuru when he should be treating all his students as equal. Its not that complicated of a concept.

Regardless, I got no inkling from that scene that they where romantically involved. Plus, as the event at the academy happened before Spock and Uhurus timelines where changed it doesn't account for the fact that they where not romantically involved in TOS

Ur ****ting me aren't you?
    She basically told him to cut his ****e out and reassign her to the Enterprise.
    He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't gettign a piece.
    That moment was a huge click moment for getting that Spock + Uhura were an item.
    I cannot for the life of me understand how you can not see this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

And no point seeing the film since Derek and a few other clowns just spoiled it..
    There's a spoiler tab over where you enter text ffs
    Putting
    Spoiler * doesn't cut it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

"You will always be a child of two worlds"
    The minute I hear the words Prime Directive I'll start to panic.

Thats the thing though. If you don't want mention of the Prime Directive then maybe this should have been called Star Journeying or something. Since maybe half-way through Voyager and into Enterprise Roddenbury's visions has been cast aside in a desperate attempt to improve viewing figures. Fit bird in tight costumer worked a treat in Voyager lets do the same in Enterprise. Heck lets make them detox in a sweaty room with hot pants on whenever we get the chance.

JJ is a talented action movie director and here was another opportunity to bring the bucks back in for a franchise that had flys buzzing around it. I enjoyed the movie but it's an action movie not Star Trek.

The Wrath of Khan remains the best film imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

"I like this ship. It's Exciting"
    And no point seeing the film since Derek and a few other clowns just spoiled it..
    There's a spoiler tab over where you enter text ffs
    Putting
    Spoiler * doesn't cut it.
    In fairness, there's a big **POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT** in the title. Your pretty much asking for it to be spoiled if your looking at the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Badboy1977 wrote: »
    Saw it last night. Have been a Trek fan since late 1970s. Thought it was very good. It moved smoothly-no real rough moments. Except Nero-thought he looked like a common gardner celtic fan/thug not a guy who can cause inter galatic mayhem!

I think that's the point though. They were miners before their planet blew up,not soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    It wasn't the flagship - it wasn't even commissioned.

They mention at some point that it is the flagship. Think the line is something like "not the launch the new flag ship deserves.

I thought it was crap.

Too many bit are pulled from nowhere: red matter, transwarp transport etc.
    Why Spock took the time to build a really fast ship instead of borrowing a Star Fleet ship made no sense.
    Bones is nothing but a series of all the corny lines from TOS and the films compressed down. His accent varies wildly throughtout
    Action scenes are a jumbled mess of close ups like it all of JJ films.
    Enterprise looks crap, wtf did Delta Vage come from and be so close to Vulcan?
    Cherkov was truly terrible in every way.
    Scotty transporting Archer's dog, would that not have been about 100 years before then? Even if he was admiral and 20 years after Ent the time still seems a bit off:confused:

And on a more thoughtful note; when Enterprise first come to Vulcan and hits the debris filed we see the front part of a saucer that it nearly hits. How big was that ship cause half the saucer was the same size as Enterprise:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

They mention at some point that it is the flagship. Think the line is something like "not the launch the new flag ship deserves.

I thought it was crap.

Too many bit are pulled from nowhere: red matter, transwarp transport etc.
    Why Spock took the time to build a really fast ship instead of borrowing a Star Fleet ship made no sense.
    Bones is nothing but a series of all the corny lines from TOS and the films compressed down. His accent varies wildly throughtout
    Action scenes are a jumbled mess of close ups like it all of JJ films.
    Enterprise looks crap, wtf did Delta Vage come from and be so close to Vulcan?
    Cherkov was truly terrible in every way.
    Scotty transporting Archer's dog, would that not have been about 100 years before then? Even if he was admiral and 20 years after Ent the time still seems a bit off:confused:

And on a more thoughtful note; when Enterprise first come to Vulcan and hits the debris filed we see the front part of a saucer that it nearly hits. How big was that ship cause half the saucer was the same size as Enterprise:eek:

Re Archers he would have been 140ish at the time of the film. Maybe he was still alive.

Re the saucer
    that nearly hits, I'm pretty sure that it was one of the 6 saucers from a star base in Vulcan orbit.

Re Shocks ship, more information is given in the Countdown graphic novel prequel
    The ship was constructed by Geordi La Forge, who had left starfleet to begin building his own experimental ship designs, and was designed to withstand the strains of a black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

FutureGuy wrote: »

Re Shocks ship, more information is given in the Countdown graphic novel prequel
    The ship was constructed by Geordi La Forge, who had left starfleet to begin building his own experimental ship designs, and was designed to withstand the strains of a black hole.
    Still when Spock is talking about it he still states that it has to be built while they already know about the super nova, presumably taking months. Why wait? It's just stupid:mad:A Star Fleet (or any other) ship would have been there faster as you wouldn't have to wait while building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Still when Spock is talking about it he still states that it has to be built while they already know about the super nova, presumably taking months. Why wait? It's just stupid:mad:A Star Fleet (or any other) ship would have been there faster as you wouldn't have to wait while building.
    Maybe the ship had to be specially designed to carry dark matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I seem to remember him saying that he equiped (or something to that effect) one of their fastest ships -- not that he built it from scratch.

Archer would have been around 140... might still be alive, or it could be a realitve. Would have to be a different dog though (to the one seen in Enterprise) -- 100+ years is a bit of a stretch for the mutt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think Archer could easily be 140, given future tech.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think Archer could easily be 140, given future tech.

And dog future tech. is even more advanced obviously. Whats that 700 in dog years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

That moment was a huge click moment for getting that Spock + Uhura were an item.

I'll have to watch it again tbh. None of the people I went to see the movie with, people I've talked to in work or otherwise thought that scene indicated a physical relationship between the two. However, the scenes between Uhura and Spock on the Enterprise where out of left field, which I'll agree with. Again I'll have to watch the scene again. I'm not saying I'm right, just that I'm not alone in how that scene was understood.

Also, I hadn't heard any of the leaks before seeing this movie and assumed they where lining up a relationship between Kirk and Uhura from their first scenes together.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    Archer would have been around 140... might still be alive

140 years is possible. McCoy was 137 years old when he cameoed in "Encounter at Farpoint".

I'll have to watch it again tbh. None of the people I went to see the movie with, people I've talked to in work or otherwise thought that scene indicated a physical relationship between the two. However, the scenes between Uhura and Spock on the Enterprise where out of left field, which I'll agree with. Again I'll have to watch the scene again. I'm not saying I'm right, just that I'm not alone in how that scene was understood.

Just on the spock/uhura thing. I went with 5 others and we all agreed it was obviously an ongoing relationship. For me when she insisted she was assigned to Enterprise and Spock gave in I was wondering what the hidden meaning to the exchange was. Then when she smooched him it was "aha so that was it". Pretty blatant in a movie kind of way. Watch it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"Did you leave the parking brake on?"
    why did abrams feel the need to put a ****ing ewok in the star trek movie?

it was just a bad movie before that, but after that.. awful. Uhuras knickers were the best bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 allx_uk

No,
    all that stuff happened in Trekiverse 1 and now elder Spock finds himself in alternative timeline Trekiverse 2 where things will probably continue to happen differently. That doesn't mean that Trekiverse 1 has stopped existing. Since Spock is now openly from the future presumably he can share TNG-era technology from his universe with pre-TOS-era Starfleet in timeline 2. This will probably make the timelines diverge further and explain more changes/updates that we will see in the sequels. Personally I am quite happy with the alternative timeline explanation for the reboot. Also its quite possible that Vulcan may be restored in future sequels and other changes "corrected".

What?? I don't understand?!

Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a Physicist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

C'mon, dude. :cool: Let's face it: you liked "Enterprise" :p

what do you mean? ive seen every episode yes and there are about 20 odd episodes ive seen more than twice - did you not watch every enterprise epiosde?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Also, I hadn't heard any of the leaks before seeing this movie and assumed they where lining up a relationship between Kirk and Uhura from their first scenes together.

140 years is possible. McCoy was 137 years old when he cameoed in "Encounter at Farpoint".

not possible McCoy was stated as being the oldest living human by data in that episode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Could be Archers son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

User45701 wrote: »
    not possible McCoy was stated as being the oldest living human by data in that episode

Keyword "living", doesn't account for dead people who could have been older.

Archer would have been 147 at the time of Star Trek 2009 (born in 2111 and Star Trek is set in 2258). Archer is supposed to die the day after they launch the Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

User45701 wrote: »
    robby^5 wrote: »
    Keyword "living"

Cheers, was going to say that. Plus even if they had stated McCoy was the oldest human ever, this timeline has been different for 25 years, it opens up the possibility that some doctor that got killed at the start had his job replaced in starfleet by someone who went on to find a way of extending human life. All we know about events after the destruction of the Kelvin are open to change.

Having said that, the wiki on Jonathan Archer says he died in 2245, making him 133 years old. But it also puts him within a large enough overlap that the Archer Scotty refers to is Jonathan Archer from "Enterprise", in fact the wiki confirms this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Cheers, was going to say that. Plus even if they had stated McCoy was the oldest human ever, this timeline has been different for 25 years, it opens up the possibility that some doctor that got killed at the start had his job replaced in starfleet by someone who went on to find a way of extending human life. All we know about events after the destruction of the Kelvin are open to change.

Having said that, the wiki on Jonathan Archer says he died in 2245, making him 133 years old. But it also puts him within a large enough overlap that the Archer Scotty refers to is Jonathan Archer from "Enterprise", in fact the wiki confirms this also.

Yeah and thinking about it, they never mention if Archer is alive or not, just that Scotty experimented using his beagle

It is stated pre-Star Trek 2009 that Archer dies the day after the commissioning ceremony for the Enterprise which is a big let down for me now that it's unlikely he does now since Enterprise in Star Trek 2009 was only commissioned in 2258 not 2245. Sucks because I felt it was rather poignant that Archer should pass on just as a new Enterprise sets off on it's own journey to seek out new... etc. etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Too many bit are pulled from nowhere: red matter..blah blah blah

Look, red matter is just liquid "a wizard did it". Is this shit really important?

We're talking about star trek, crazy materials that do stupid things is pretty much the basis for everything they do. I can't recall anyone sitting down and explaining exactly how dilithium crystals work. They make starships go. The red shit makes black holes. There, done.

And frankly, i hope JJ Abrams makes a whole load more of these, they're fun, enjoyable, accessible and more to the point make the hardcore trek fans foam at the mouth with crazy rage.
    Trek 09 is the gift that just keeps on giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Look, red matter is just liquid "a wizard did it". Is this shit really important?

We're talking about star trek, crazy materials that do stupid things is pretty much the basis for everything they do. I can't recall anyone sitting down and explaining exactly how dilithium crystals work. They make starships go. The red shit makes black holes. There, done.

And frankly, i hope JJ Abrams makes a whole load more of these, they're fun, enjoyable, accessible and more to the point make the hardcore trek fans foam at the mouth with crazy rage.
    Trek 09 is the gift that just keeps on giving.

friend, you see the forum on the official movie site. arguing over the science of supernovas:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I enjoyed it but......

The Ewok/JarJar?? WTF?

Chekov and "Wulcan" Whats so ironic about this is that did I not read that the actor who plays Chekov actually is Russian. Its like an Irish actor playing an Irish character in a movie and told not to use his real irish accent but to use the American stereotyped Irish accent like Tom Cruise in Far and Away....or Michael Flatley, because thats what Anericans expect to hear?

The flashing in shots in scenes with sunshine. I thought that was fault of a bad Cam torrent I downloaded :D (Don't worry, I'll pay my fair share for the Bluray when it comes out.

As for the science. Some of it was bugging me until I heard about the prequel comic. I haven't read it but read a bit of a synopsis. this clarified a few things for me. Ah right, its not a normal supernova, its effects are amplified by an orbiting planet with red matter ore. The refined ore also being a way to suck up the supernova. So thats why its a danger to the galaxy. So thats why its a danger to Romulus a few star systems away. So thats why the Romulan government didn't believe Spock. ie. Red ore my arse Vulcan. Supernovas go off all the time. Its no danger to us.

Heres the thing though. While the comic clarified the science, in the same stroke it messed up Nero's motivations. Before I read the explanations in the comic synopsis I could accept Nero as just another Romulan renegade that hates Vulcans and wants to kill Spock and destroy the planet Vulcan. Taking the comic into account it makes no sense.

Romulan government doesn't believe Spock and offer no help or prepare for evacuation. Nero the miner with his big mining ship does believe Spock and offers his services. He mines the red or for spock. Spock heads off to Vulcan to have the ore refined. Vulcan highcommand decides not to give the refined red matter back to Spock in case it was used as a weapon. Spock steals some and tries to get back with it in time but is to late.

Someone tell me why Nero hates Spock so much and the Federation? They did all they could to help. If anyone is to blame for the death of his family its the Romulan government for doing nothing and the Vulcan high command. WHy does Nero hate Spock....with a Vengance??

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Calibos wrote: »
    Someone tell me why Nero hates Spock so much and the Federation? They did all they could to help. If anyone is to blame for the death of his family its the Romulan government for doing nothing and the Vulcan high command. WHy does Nero hate Spock....with a Vengance??

Spock promised he would help nero, and he could convince the vulcan goverment to give the Romulans the red matter , i guess he felt when they did come to help in time, it was cause the vulcans and spock did not want to really help.

And Nero does hate the Romulan goverment he killed The Romulan ruling coucil in the comic (hmm i dont know if he killed the Praetor, according to the star trek mmorpg timeline its Praetor Chulan during this time i think ?) anyway thats where he got the debrune teral'n that big staff he has in the movie.
    Nero thinks the federation let romulus died, when 3 federation ships turn up (too late) to help help evacuate the planet,
    Nero says its too convenient and that they are there to clam Romulan space for their own.

I think we can finally change the cannon of star trek not just to include what is on screen but also in the countdown comic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I think we can finally change the cannon of star trek not just to include what is on screen but also in the countdown comic.

ok, i never heard about a prequel comic, must see about finding it somewhere before my next viewing of the film.

I just have one observation to make. Most of us go by the rule that what's on screen is what's cannon, and fair enough.
    This film means that the only cannon trek we've seen is Enterprise........... I can't say I liked Enterprise.

But maybe as a standalone genesis of the franchise it might do better. My problem with ENT was it broke so much of the then established cannon, but it's all different now........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I always thought that the litmus test for this film was not the opinion of the die hard (closet or otherwise) Trek fans, but the opinion of the general person on the street. I have spoken to many many non-trek fans who have seen the film and I have heard nothing but glowing reviews.

If the film annoys a few existing fans in order to bring in a completely new fanbase, critical to the survival of the franchise, then I'll gladly take it.

I'm a trek fan for many many years, and I haven't been as excited about Star Trek in years.

Advertisement