Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Gaming Upgrade

Options
  • 05-05-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

A new neighbour is completely non-technical.
    I'm about one step above that (I've added ram to the laptop)

Basically, she's likes her RPG games, Total War:Rome.
    The PC she has is dog slow, it basically can't even run the intro movies.
    I've suggested that she may not need an entirely new PC. Well open to being told I'm wrong.

So I was wondering what could be done to upgrade the PC for about 200 euro.

At the moment she has:
    Motherboard GeForce6100SM-M http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2749264&sku=S458-1260
    Ram : 1G
    Graphics : Radeo x300 se(128) http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx300/specs.html
    PSU : 250W Delco Electronics?
    Hard Drive : 40 G

So I was thinking she definitely needs a bigger hard drive at a minimum
    The 40 Gb is completely full.

My initial theory is that a hardrive, ram and a 256mb graphics card should do the job.

Feel free to tell me to buy a completely new PC!
    And thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

bigger GFX cards sometimes need bigger PSU , 260w seems kinda low

everything else I would agree with.

Sample parts attached there from komplett , lots of room to move on the price , but that should cover everything .Im sure someone will correct what I have picked as is the boards way :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Thanks for the links people.

Joeface, a stupid question probably, but is there a guide to go about these things.
    I know I can get the hardware connections right, but would I have to be re-configuring bios settings etc?
    I really don't want to leave a brick in my wake.

NOGMaxpower, thanks for the links. I'll pass them along to her and let her make the call.
    Thanks everyone.

you really shouldnt have to go near the bios

All that would be required , is a reinstall the OS on to the new drive and install all the drivers.

On the top of this section is a guide to building one's own system. Read it the first time i did any of this sort of thing. Might want check the size of the case as well ,as some of the newer Graphics cards are bigger. and not all case are suited.

I know for a fact she doesn't have a disk to reinstall the OS.
    Could I not just add the new drive as a second drive? Or would that just waste everyone's time?

• Advertisement

dont see why not.

just remember to uninstall the old graphics card drivers, before installing the new card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The mobo isn't that old, but what CPU is in there? You'll survive with an X2 but on the other hand there's no point upgrading everything else if an old Athlon 2000+ is bottlenecking the entire system... :rolleyes: That said, unless its a Phenom 2 in there (yeah right!) a 9800GT is utter overkill. A GDDR3-based HD4650 or maybe HD4750 (if they ever appear) would be enough, and they're cheap (as low as €55 on Komplett) and need very little power (~40W max load in real life). If you do need a CPU urgently then you can get a 4850e (45W) or a 5200 (65W, if you replace the PSU) for €59 on Komplett. 2GB of DDR2 RAM can set you back as little as €22 there too.

And don't worry about bricking the system, that could only happen if you had to flash the BIOS (which is highly unlikely). Changing inapporpriate settings might prevent you from booting but just yank the battery out, put it back in and reset the time and it's still good :D Just bear in mind that if you want to avoid reinstalling Windows (which is safer and easier IMHO) you'll need a second bay to stick the new HDD in. 320GB are out of stock but the 500GB Samsung is only €48 anyway.

And is that PSU in there "Delco" or "Delta"? Big difference. If the latter, could you post its specs or a clear pic of its label? A reasonably modern Delta 250W might support an entry-level graphics card without a forced upgrade - they're dead solid units :) If you do need a new PSU that cheapie 500W Axpertec Joeface suggested should be grand.

And Nog, I don't think spending €500+ on a system with a Q8200 and still needing a GPU upgrade after is really such a good idea... ;)

Not bricking the system is very good to know solitaire.
    I'll try and get access to the machine and this evening, get the CPU details.
    It's hidden underneath the heatsink, and I didn't want to risk static shock by going anywhere near the CPU when I had a quick look the last time.
    I'll do a better job this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hard Drive: I would just add a cheap 160GB, some people simply don't use much space, and apart from the odd few games, leave their HD relatively vacant (realistically, a few GB will cover music and pictures for the average user, so an extra 80GB would be more then enough to supplement the 40GB). Your friend doesn't sound like someone who uses a lot of space if the 40Gb has sufficed until now. Personally I still have a 250GB drive, and have 10 recent games installed (each of which would occupy more then something like Total War: Rome), as well as about 100 movies and a few gigs of music and pictures, and still have a decent amount of space left, to give you an idea.

Ram: It depends on what the configuration is at the moment. If its 1x1GB, then another simple 1GB is fine - if its 2x512mb, then you'll have to just replace both really, 2GB kits are so reasonable.

Graphics Card: If an X300 has done until now, then something cheap like the HD4550 is a fantastic upgrade and several times faster. Now, that said, the X300 is enough for Rome: Total War, so the fact you've said she can't even run the intro movies would suggest her machine is probably riddled with other problems - spyware, adware, viruses, or so on. So a complete reinstall might be necessary anyway. Make sure when you're doing so, to install something like AVG Anti-Virus and Spybot S&D to protect her machine. I've included the 4650 in the list, in case she wants to play newer games, but the ten euro cheaper 4550 would definitely suffice for Rome Total War at high settings. Also note its the DDR3 version of the 4650, the rest are DDR2 and much slower, in case you're wondering at the price difference between it and the cheapest 4650.

CPU: Hard to tell if it needs replacing, we'd need to know what it is. Even a relatively low end Athlon 64 is still totally fine for games like Total War, and a low end X2 would definitely not need replacing in this instance. If its a Sempron though, and it easily could be if the machine was bought somewhere like PC World, a new CPU would be nice.

Here's an example, and note you might need a new PSU as well, depending on as Solitare said, if its Delta or not, and I'm not sure what the 12v is like on that unit (going from past reviews of 300/350w models, I'd imagine it could only be 12-14a on the 12v):

79228.JPG

Hi TerrorFirmer,
    Sorry about the delay.

Processor AMD Athlon 62x2 Dual 2.11Ghz
    Motherboard GeForce6100SM-M http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=S458-1260
    Ram : 512mb (down from 1G)
    Graphics : Radeo x300 se(128) http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx300/specs.html
    PSU : 250W Delta Electronics (confirmed)
    Hard Drive : 40 G

Will I need a new motherboard as well so, to replace the Processor.

Also, given that the initial Ram figure was wrong, would I do better to upgrade the RAM, and add more hard drive first, and figure if that is performant enough, before going ahead with upgrading the Graphics card and motherboard?

Sorry for the noob questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, you don't need to replace the processor at all after all, that's perfectly fine for what she's doing. In fact, the whole machine is; I really have to repeat the fact that the machine is probably in desperate need of a fresh install of windows, if such a machine is crawling so horribly on Rome: Total War. In its current form, it should play that game fine, though more ram and a slightly better card wouldn't go amiss anyway. But it's important that you/she realizes the inherent problem so that it doesn't happen again.

To be honest I'd go with the list above minus the 4850E Processor. With these upgrades the machine would be several times faster, and capable of playing the latest games, including Total War 2, at respectable levels, but once more, I recommend a reinstall because it's likely the machine is beyond a full repair. PSU should be fine as well.

I haven't mentioned it before but there may be a hack version of XP on the machine?!! Her brother in law set it up.
    I do get the point about reinstalling though, cheers. It would be my preferred solution also.

I've run spybot, and stripped down services and 3rd party extras with msconfig.
    She already has AVG, though I believe Avast might be a lighter solution. I found AVG heavy and slow on the machine.
    She doesn't have 15% free to run a defrag.

Unless you have any other suggestions, I might take this problem over to the computers and technology forum.

Would an increase in Ram, or an increased free space on the c drive speed up the system? (Uninstall steam and all that and re-install on the new drive?)

Just managed to find the min. requirements for the game on a site
    OS - XP or Vista 32
    Processor - Intel 2.4ghz or equivalent
    RAM - 2GB (Vista) 1GB (XP)
    GPU - 256MB Card, DirectX 9.0
    HDD Space - 15GB

The RAM may be the problem alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

People will tell you defragging makes no difference.

They are flat out wrong, as the whole "SSD's remove the meachanical bootleneck in any system" revelation is showing. Use Defraggler which will defrag with less than 15% free, and see how you go.

Don't spend 35 quid on a 160gig drive when you can spend 35 quid on a 320gig.

Ram is dirt cheap, and is always a good upgrade.

Defrag, whack in some ram and an extra hard drive and you're pretty much good to go. Low end graphics cards are ridiculously cheap atm too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yup. Just throw in some cheap RAM, a cheap graphics card (HD4550 or maybe GDDR3 HD4650) and a cheap 250-320GB HDD and you're off. CPU seems decent (funny speed though...), nForce4 mobo is okay for it and at least 2GB RAM, and even if you do put in a better GPU those I listed consume little more than what they'd be replacing anyway :)

Advertisement