Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Category D Driving Licence

• 05-05-2009 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Folks just would like ur advise. I am working in credit control at the moment. It is not what I want to do eventually but it is going well in these times. I want to get back into tourism and set up my own company (bus tours company). I am not planning to do it just yet but was thinking of going for the D Licence as regards driving the bus (have the B licence). I am not thinking of driving full-time professionally but think it may be useful in the future. Before I apply can someone advise if they have done it and what's involved (ie would there be a lot of hours that I would need regarding practice lessons - my job takes up a good bit of my day) How long does it take before the test, doing the theory etc? Any advise would be appreciated as I very much in 2 minds of whether it would be useful or if I am wasting my time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did about 4 lessons for it. I found it easy enough but I already had both truck licences so I was accustomed to large vehicles. The test was straightforward. I can't recall anything out of the ordinary (apart from the totally understated tiny nod that my instructor gave me when I told him I'd passed).

Lessons were expensive when I did them and the test wait was a few weeks as far as I recall.

If you are going for it, use a manual bus. Most are automatic now but with an unrestricted licence you'll have more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

You will also need to have a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competency) which is another theory and practical test. Im not too sure what you mean by opening a tour company though?

Best of Luck with it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Janullrich, Ive jut pm'd you with a bus recommendation for lessons, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

Janullrich, thinking of going for this myself soon, let us know how you get on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

Hey, I done my d licence about 6 years ago or so now. I was fairly nervous then as i was still young when i did it (21) but there was nothing out of the ordinary. Not much different to a car licence once ya have a bit of experience with coaches size,lenth etc...
    My own family runs a coach company so i wasnt too bad had a bit of knowlegde with buses.

I also done my cpc in jan 07. it was a different story, 18 weeks, 2 nights a week, 3 hours a night and a lot of study too. Have to go through a manual bout twice the size of a bible:D It was tough goin alot of hours required i had to give up my evening shift for the 18 weeks.

As for starting tour work id hang out for a while to see if things here pick up. I know alot of companys that have their coaches parked up at the moment and they dont pay for themselves sitting in a yard, no tours tis year to be had.

Hope to have helped in some way. Good luck with whatever you decide.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement