Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

souness v dunphy on RTE

• 05-05-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a link to dunphy and souness on rte tonight (Tues) after utd/arsenal game ...apparently they were both at it.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Man that was the funniest thing i have seen in a long time. My own personal highlight that brough us all to near tears with laughter:

Bill: Can i assume something?
    Gilesy: No. (wags finger at him)

Absolutely hilarious:

Dunphy to Souey: You don't know what you're talking about (repeat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

what were they saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Why oh why did they cut to the break though just as things were really hotting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I thought it was gonna be a double knock out.....Souness on Dunphy and Gilesy on Bill.
    Never seen Giles get so animated but if anyone will do it to ya then its gonna be the imcompetent buffoonery from Bill :rolleyes:

Man it was priceless. The break did ruin it. Gilesy was well up for a ruck, think he was seconds away from swinging for Billo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Why on earth did they spend the guts of 15 mins talking about Wenger's spending instead of talking about the game itself. They were going round and round in circles with Souness speaking the only sense (..thats not a good sign).

Did laugh a bit though when Dunphy told Souness he hadn't a clue and Souness asked him had he ever managed a football team.

Is it just me or are Dunphy and co. getting a little bit annoying these days by repeating themselves?

What were they getting so worked up for?

Such a disappointing match / contest tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Why on earth did they spend the guts of 15 mins talking about Wenger's spending instead of talking about the game itself. They were going round and round in circles with Souness speaking the only sense (..thats not a good sign).

Did laugh a bit though when Dunphy told Souness he hadn't a clue and Souness asked him had he ever managed a football team.

Is it just me or are Dunphy and co. getting a little bit annoying these days by repeating themselves?

A little annoying THESE DAYS?????????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was great stuff. Line of the night from Souness:

"Who have you managed?"

It's a shame Apres Match isn't about at the minute as they would have had a field day with it.

"Who have you managed?"

It's a shame Apres Match isn't about at the minute as they would have had a field day with it.

Man an Apres match version of that would have been awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You could hear Dunphy laughing though as the adbreak came on...wonder if it was all just staged ...."lets get the ratings up, the match wasnt as dramatic as we had hoped" kinda thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I still havent seen it :mad: .... but at a guess dunphy would have been laughing as he's still getting paid !!!

I missed this unfortunately but I know that RTE usually have their post-match CL analysis up on the website within a few hours.

Their site isn't the easiest to navigate though, and don't expect to see a link or anything on the home page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

"Who have you managed?"

Dunphy's response was brilliant.

"No-one, but I've managed to survive for 63 and a half years, baby!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

It was great entertainment alright. Really don't like Souness though, never lets anyone finish their sentence.

"Who have you managed?"

yeah like Souness can talk, being a failed manager and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I thought it was gonna be a double knock out.....Souness on Dunphy and Gilesy on Bill.
    Never seen Giles get so animated but if anyone will do it to ya then its gonna be the imcompetent buffoonery from Bill :rolleyes:

in fairness Bill just says stuff that he knows will deliberately wind giles and dunphy up, just to get the banter going

According to Souness after seeing Pool dismantle Real Madrid, the ''foreigners'' can't compete with the Brits in terms of work-rate. Forgetting the fact that half the Liverpool team are Spanish...

Failed manager, would be harsh for Souness, he has been good in some places, terrible in others. Liverpool being the worst.

DSB wrote: »
    Failed manager, would be harsh for Souness, he has been good in some places, terrible in others. Liverpool being the worst.
    Eh, let's not forget about his Newcastle mismanagement disaster! At least he won something at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

in fairness Bill just says stuff that he knows will deliberately wind giles and dunphy up, just to get the banter going

Bill knows exactly what he is doing stirring things up .
    He is a PR guru after all.
    So refreshing to see the boys thrashing it out in comparison to that moron Andy The Brain Gray and Richard Keys with their playschool punditry.

• Advertisement

Ah cmon, hes the last manager to guide Newcastle to a top half finish, I know it ended badly, and Shearer was at his usual tricks, but he has done a hell of alot better at Newcastle than most have in the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rangers

* Scottish League Championship winners: 1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90
    * Scottish League Cup winners: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991

Galatasaray

* Turkish Cup winners: 1996
    * Turkish Super Cup winners: 1996–97

Liverpool

* FA Cup winners: 1992

Blackburn Rovers

* Football League Cup winners: 2002
    * Football League First Division (Level 2) runners–up: 2000–01

Benfica

* Portuguese First Division runners–up: 1997–98

failed???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

Yeah the analysis was entertaning tonight Giles had it in for O'Herlihy and Souness and Dunphy were up for a ruck. How much longer do we have to suffer O'Herlihy and the stupid questions he throws at Giles and co, Giles reaction has been a while coming. You cant beat a bit of old Eamo though baby !

DSB wrote: »
    Ah cmon, hes the last manager to guide Newcastle to a top half finish, I know it ended badly, and Shearer was at his usual tricks, but he has done a hell of alot better at Newcastle than most have in the last decade.
    He never got us into the top half actually. The last Newcastle manager to do that was Glen Roeder who miraculosly took us from about 15th, where Souness left us, to finish 7th. And Souness inherited Sir Bobby's team that had just finished 5th.

kinaldo wrote: »
    He never got us into the top half actually. The last Newcastle manager to do that was Glen Roeder who miraculosly took us from about 15th, where Souness left us, to finish 7th. And Souness inherited Sir Bobby's team that had just finished 5th.

Jaysus, I stand corrected so, I was convinced Souness got them up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Link to video on RTE player

Dunno how much longer it'll be up though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bill is brilliant.

poke, poke, poke away until a reaction comes.

genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I just watched it there, brilliant :D

Greame: Who have you managed?!?
    Eamon: Ive managed to stay alive for 65 years.

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

'Pipe down Bill, this is a football discussion' :D I love our pundits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Trilla wrote: »
    Rangers

Galatasaray

Liverpool

Blackburn Rovers

Benfica

failed???????????

SPL, Spare me, he has been utter c436 as a manager, Dalglish left him with an ageing team admitedly. he is no success though, inferiour leagues;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Rangers

Galatasaray

Liverpool

Blackburn Rovers

Benfica

failed???????????

He signed a player who claimed to be a Senegalese international,who wasnt. He got goat from Torino after 4 months. He left Southhampton after 1 season.
    His time at newcastle wasnt a success, controversy follows souness... and if he is such a succesful manager......then why is he still out of a management job? because he has clearly stated before how he would like a return. Scotland turned him down and thank god Ireland didnt take him.

He signed a player who claimed to be a Senegalese international,who wasnt. He got goat from Torino after 4 months. He left Southhampton after 1 season.
    His time at newcastle wasnt a success, controversy follows souness... and if he is such a succesful manager......then why is he still out of a management job? because he has clearly stated before how he would like a return. Scotland turned him down and thank god Ireland didnt take him.
    1. Alex Ferguson signed A CB(W Prunier) on the referal of Eric "erratic" Cantona who was a complete flop.
    2. Spent 23million on Juan Sebastian Veron (which was to rise to 28 or 29m)
    3. Eric Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson or Diego Forlan were hardly cheap buys either.
    4. Only for a certain Mark Robins would not be managing Manchester United today.
    5. Took over the Scottish international team in 86, only scored one goal and finished bottom of their group.

Granted he's done an awful lot less in the game than Ferguson but there was far worse managers than Souness... Dunphy needs to get back into his box. Was funny though gotta say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

1. Alex Ferguson signed A CB(W Prunier) on the referal of Eric "erratic" Cantona who was a complete flop.
    2. Spent 23million on Juan Sebastian Veron (which was to rise to 28 or 29m)
    3. Eric Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson or Diego Forlan were hardly cheap buys either.
    4. Only for a certain Mark Robins would not be managing Manchester United today.
    5. Took over the Scottish international team in 86, only scored one goal and finished bottom of their group.

Granted he's done an awful lot less in the game than Ferguson but there was far worse managers than Souness... Dunphy needs to get back into his box. Was funny though gotta say

WTF??? When you win as much as Fergie has you are bound to make mistakes here and there, but weigh those up against what he has got right and you'll see how ridiculous it is to compare the two at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i tohught gilesy was gonna kill bill... was hilarious though. better than the match.

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    WTF??? When you win as much as Fergie has you are bound to make mistakes here and there, but weigh those up against what he has got right and you'll see how ridiculous it is to compare the two at all.

Look Souness was not as bad as people are making out to be. Look I'm not comparing him with Ferguson as such, I'm just pointing out that all managers can make mistakes and one small thing such as Mark Robins could have changed the face of football today. Everyone can make mistakes, Souness has his docuemented by a previous poster here. He also has his achievements which I'm pointing out. Regardless of the level they were at, they were hardly a walk in the park now.

Obviously Fergie has worked wonders at St Mirren, Aberdeen and Manchester United. Probably the greatest manager in history.

But anyone thats won 8 cups, a promotion, and 4 leagues - isnt that bad a record.

Everyone remembers his times at Liverpool and Newcastle - answer me this - For nearly 20 years Liverpool fans have wanted the league, have the got it? Whos come up with the goods?
    What manager has been sucessful at Newcastle the past 7 or 8 years?

I'm not saying he's a good manager, but the word failure was used here. IMO thats wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It was excellent stuff last night, best in a long time. I thought Souness was gonna lay Dunphy out when he kept bartering him with 'you don't know what you're talking about'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Heroes, the lot of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Once you accept that it's not about reviewing the game rather providing some entertainment afterwards it really was good stuff. I think the next step is to let the lads get a few beers into them during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Once you accept that it's not about reviewing the game rather providing some entertainment afterwards it really was good stuff. I think the next step is to let the lads get a few beers into them during the match.

I'd be quite confident that Eamo is well on his way already anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

John Giles is my hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Aidric wrote: »
    It was excellent stuff last night, best in a long time. I thought Souness was gonna lay Dunphy out when he kept bartering him with 'you don't know what you're talking about'.

He kind of did lay him out with his "When did you manage" comment in fairness!

I also particularly love when Gilesey confuses "He saw them as better players" with "he's selling his better players".

Best entertainment since this:

Check out 1:06!
    You've jumped over the fence baby!!!
    "Baby" must be his go-to word in an argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Quite possibly the greatest thing to ever hit Irish screens I reckon. Nearly pissed myself watching it. Anybody catch the Gift Grub of this on Today FM this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

+1
    Its like sitting in the waiting room for alzheimers patients.

Damn, I was watching that in the pub and didn't even hear the lads go at it, I'll have to check that out later, sounds hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

That_Guy wrote: »
    Quite possibly the greatest thing to ever hit Irish screens I reckon. Nearly pissed myself watching it. Anybody catch the Gift Grub of this on Today FM this morning?

Gift Grub link

Not the best in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Em....is this the first time you've watched the RTE analaysis os something??

"Who have you managed?"

lordgoat wrote: »
    Man an Apres match version of that would have been awesome!

I don't think Apres match is even needed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Rangers

Galatasaray

Liverpool

Blackburn Rovers

Benfica

failed???????????

Yes, an absolute failure!!

A monkey could lead Celtic/Rangers to trophies in the SPL!

Galatasary, the most successful team in the history of Turkish football, Souness wins a cup competition with them? Success? Don't make me laugh.

FA Cup winners with Liverpool. Again, winning a cup competition with the most successful team in the country. Another failure.

Getting Blackburn promoted and winning the League Cup, easily Souness' best job to date.

Runners-up with Benfica, again, another monster club domestically, another season with no domestic league win.

Souness has managed five teams all very capable of winning the league (in Blackburn's case, winning the first division). He has won the league with only one of those clubs, and arguably, the easiest club in the world to win the league with - Rangers. He is a failure as a manager, and imo, a failure as a pundit. He does not understand football, he does not know his facts, he is not up to date on the game and when asked to back up or prove his points, he is unable to do so.

steod wrote: »
    How much longer do we have to suffer O'Herlihy and the stupid questions he throws at Giles and co

Are you off your rocker?? Bill is the puppet master!!! He's got hold of them strings and makes them dance!! He knows exactly what he's doing!!

My favourite tactic of his is when he says 'now let me put this to you. I wouldn't know, you's are the experts, so..........." Then he just sits back with a glint in his eye, a knowing smile and a chuckle to himself and watches his masterpiece unfold.

Bill is a genius, an absolute guru.

(By the way, if you want Bill gone, then i have two horrific words for you. Peter Collins)

• Advertisement
Advertisement