Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

souness v dunphy on RTE

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Once you accept that it's not about reviewing the game rather providing some entertainment afterwards it really was good stuff. I think the next step is to let the lads get a few beers into them during the match.

I think Dunphy tried that during the 2002 World Cup and get sent home!!! That's another reason to loving that panel. Dunphy is on the p!ss with Ray Houghton in Lillie's and decides there's no point going to bed seeing as he'd be up in a few hours so stays out and then goes straight in to work!!!

"I'm a bit tired and emotional, baby!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

To be fair Souness has to be wrong. How can Wenger have 30/25 mil to spend and not buy a goalkeeper/central defender?

Giles for shame. He made a facial expression.

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Yes, an absolute failure!!

A monkey could lead Celtic/Rangers to trophies in the SPL!

Galatasary, the most successful team in the history of Turkish football, Souness wins a cup competition with them? Success? Don't make me laugh.

FA Cup winners with Liverpool. Again, winning a cup competition with the most successful team in the country. Another failure.

Getting Blackburn promoted and winning the League Cup, easily Souness' best job to date.

Runners-up with Benfica, again, another monster club domestically, another season with no domestic league win.

Souness has managed five teams all very capable of winning the league (in Blackburn's case, winning the first division). He has won the league with only one of those clubs, and arguably, the easiest club in the world to win the league with - Rangers. He is a failure as a manager, and imo, a failure as a pundit. He does not understand football, he does not know his facts, he is not up to date on the game and when asked to back up or prove his points, he is unable to do so.

Unless this is sarcasm, then LOL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

monkey9 wrote: »
    Unless this is sarcasm, then LOL!!

indeed. he has not been an incredable success as a manager, but to label him a failure goes too far. He was an average manager with some success.

indeed. he has not been an incredable success as a manager, but to label him a failure goes too far. He was an average manager with some success.

Yep, i'd go along with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Souness >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dunphy tbf.

*as managers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Souness >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dunphy tbf.

*at speaking sense

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

well it depends on your definition of average manager.

Souness has been out of work for over three years. There have been several jobs available in this time. Surely if he was a good manager, or even an average one, he would have a job by now.

It's also worth pointing out, that regardless of Souness' trophy successes (which at best, is average), his man management and judgement was absolutely dire at every club he was at. He also made a lot of poor decisions on the transfer market.

• Advertisement

well it depends on your definition of average manager.

Souness has been out of work for over three years. There have been several jobs available in this time. Surely if he was a good manager, or even an average one, he would have a job by now.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he has not been interested in the ones that have come about, apart from Scotland and Ireland which are well enough documented. He has been in the running for a few, from memory. I'm sure there are other 'average' managers who don't have jobs. Gullit was pretty good at chelsea, Vialli too, they might have something about them. Manchini (sp?) still doesn't have a job and neither does Rijkaard. Koemann is another i think, though he had a terrible time at Valencia.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he has not been interested in the ones that have come about, apart from Scotland and Ireland which are well enough documented. He has been in the running for a few, from memory. I'm sure there are other 'average' managers who don't have jobs. Gullit was pretty good at chelsea, Vialli too, they might have something about them. Manchini (sp?) still doesn't have a job and neither does Rijkaard. Koemann is another i think, though he had a terrible time at Valencia.

I think it's fairly clear Souness would like a return to management. The Blackburn and Newcastle jobs are just two jobs from recent memory that I'm sure he would have taken should he'd been offered them.

I think it's fairly clear Souness would like a return to management. The Blackburn and Newcastle jobs are just two jobs from recent memory that I'm sure he would have taken should he'd been offered them.

Two jobs he already had, maybe neither club wanted to return to an old manager or maybe he didn't want to return to an old club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is that youtube link all it was?

Bit disappointed to be honest!

Two jobs he already had, maybe neither club wanted to return to an old manager or maybe he didn't want to return to an old club.

or maybe he did want the job

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3044060,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Rijkaard took a sabbitical and turned down 2 jobs in the last 6 months.
    Gullit should never be let near a football stadium in his entire life after ruining Feyenoord.

When i see of hear Sounnes i can only think; Ali Dia

i can not take that man serious anymore on football matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I did agree with Dunphy in this case though.

Souness was trying to make out that Wenger thought Flamini was surplus to requirements and was worse in the holding role then Song or Denilson, which is frankly insane. Th Flaminator was twice the holding midfielder either of them are. Whatever the reason for him not getting the raise he wanted, footballing quality wasn't it.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I did agree with Dunphy in this case though.

Souness was trying to make out that Wenger thought Flamini was surplus to requirements and was worse in the holding role then Song or Denilson, which is frankly insane. Th Flaminator was twice the holding midfielder either of them are. Whatever the reason for him not getting the raise he wanted, footballing quality wasn't it.

lol, yeah, that was unbelievable. It's actually insane, how can somebody say stuff like that and still be on TV. I mean, seriously, he just hasn't got a clue. The reason Flamini left was wages (possibly becuase Wenger has a wages cap or possibly because Arsenal couldn't afford it). To say Wenger was happy for Flamini to leave because he was surplus to requirements was crazy!

To make it even simpler, if Flamini was surplus to requirements, why did he play 30 league games in his last season at Arsenal?? If Denilson and Song were better players, why did they not play?? It litreally makes zero sense what Souness was saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I agree with Giles about the money aspect. I don't believe Arsenal have the kind of money to back Wenger in the transfer market.
    Souness also signed that class defender Jean-Alain Boumsong from Rangers for £8m. Bill O Herlihy must be retained as the ringmaster as someone previously mentioned the dire Peter Collins,sure if that were to happen well then watching ITV or Sky would be no different. Funny thing is like most people I watch the match on HD but always turn over to Net 2 for the entertainment from the best panel of EXPERTS. Okie Dokie. See you all in Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

lol, yeah, that was unbelievable. It's actually insane, how can somebody say stuff like that and still be on TV. I mean, seriously, he just hasn't got a clue. The reason Flamini left was wages (possibly becuase Wenger has a wages cap or possibly because Arsenal couldn't afford it). To say Wenger was happy for Flamini to leave because he was surplus to requirements was crazy!

To make it even simpler, if Flamini was surplus to requirements, why did he play 30 league games in his last season at Arsenal?? If Denilson and Song were better players, why did they not play?? It litreally makes zero sense what Souness was saying

Denilson has the highest passing accuracy in the prem this season.

89% I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redout wrote: »

89% I believe.

A good passer he is. As good a holding player as Flamini, he isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There was a thread recently asking what's the point of analysts, well imo last night answered that question. You can't beat the RTE when they're in full flow.

Classic from Giles last night too.

"If I were me Bill, I'd put........"

I just loved it when Giles interupted Bill.

Bill: Can i make an assump........

Giles: No Bill!!!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

redout wrote: »

89% I believe.

Remember reading that, was quite suprised.

But how much of that of that is effective possession, all well and good if he is truly making an impact with the ball.

Is he is passing the ball across the midfield to the those who really can influence the game, as well those back in defence just to retain possession, thus keeping it simple.

I'd go for the latter.

He needs to add variety to his passing and add the odd killer ball yp his game in terms of just passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I wonder what the normal Sky/BBC/ITV watchers from across the water make of our pundits? Anyone got any feedback? Maybe they just dont 'get' it....maybe they think we are raving mad!! :D Assuming they have access to our channels of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I wonder what the normal Sky/BBC/ITV watchers from across the water make of our pundits? Anyone got any feedback? Maybe they just dont 'get' it....maybe they think we are raving mad!! :D Assuming they have access to our channels of course

I regularly share youtube clips of Dunphy & Co. with friends of mine from the UK.
    Most of them don't believe that it's real punditry, they just think it's a piss-take.

Apparantly Dunphy is really popular with Liverpool fans.
    http://liverpool.theoffside.com/champions-league/eamon-dunphy-is-fat-and-a-clown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

thegen wrote: »
    SPL, Spare me, he has been utter c436 as a manager, Dalglish left him with an ageing team admitedly. he is no success though, inferiour leagues;)

and Dunphy has what on his CV? United reject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

What was the dialogue after Eamon's first 'baby' remark? Did Souness say sometjing back? Couldn't hear when Bill interrupted for the ad break. Wonder was he told to interrupt in his ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Souness will be back on easy street tonight with Keys, Redknap and McAllister

probably a relief...not good for his ol ticker all this RTE work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Here's rte's footage [URL="javascript:showPlayer('/sport/soccer/2009/0505/analysis_av.html')"]Watch RTÉ Sport's Studio Analysis[/URL]
    starts at the last 30seconds
    but worth the watch the last 4 or 5 min is good quality stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Viva Bill O'Herlihy :D

• Advertisement

Souness said last night it was a penalty, said today (on Sky Sports just now) it was not.

On the topic of Arsenal not having money - how the hell do they have no money? They spend f-all and are the most expensive team in England (possibly the world in soccer terms) to watch and have a fairly large stadium. Granted they are paying for the stadium. but surely it can't cost so much to pay back that all the money they make from season tickets, merchandise, match day revenue, sponsorship (including stadium naming rights) and the money made from the apartments at Highbury all gets sunk into paying off the debts.

dogpile wrote: »
    Souness will be back on easy street tonight with Keys, Redknap and McAllister

probably a relief...not good for his ol ticker all this RTE work :D

Poor Souness he probably needs a week of counselling after each appearance.
    He always looks like he thinks the whole Bill / Eamon / John thing is insane.
    He probably dines out on his horror stories after he returns home each week.
    Regaling his UK punditry buddies with tales about what crazy Eamon did.

Dunphy goes easy on poor Ronnie he reminds me of one of those remedial kids at school - you wouldn't have the heart to bully them.

lol, just now...

Bill: Right, yeah now let's hear from Eamonn. You're the Spanish expert on this panel

Good ole Bill :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Let's hear Dunphy call this one wrong again. His wise words only come after the match . It's car crash TV.

Who has Dunphy predicted to win I'm not near a TV at the moment.

Who has Dunphy predicted to win I'm not near a TV at the moment.

The heart says Barcelona but the head says Chelsea Bill...

The_Coon wrote: »
    The heart says Barcelona but the head says Chelsea Bill...

Barca-United final it is then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Souness said last night it was a penalty, said today (on Sky Sports just now) it was not.

He regularly flip-flops between a Tuesday and Wednesday. Not sure whether to give him the benefit of the doubt that on reflection over the 24hours he has genuinely changed his mind, or he is just toeing the line at Sky, or worse again perhaps he just agrees with whichever pundits he's with on the night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Barca-United final it is then :pac:

dunphy's jinx works again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He regularly flip-flops between a Tuesday and Wednesday. Not sure whether to give him the benefit of the doubt that on reflection over the 24hours he has genuinely changed his mind, or he is just toeing the line at Sky, or worse again perhaps he just agrees with whichever pundits he's with on the night...

Or the pundits on both channels work off a script?

deisedevil wrote: »
    WTF??? When you win as much as Fergie has you are bound to make mistakes here and there, but weigh those up against what he has got right and you'll see how ridiculous it is to compare the two at all.

to be fair i dont think he is having a go at ferguson but merely pointing out that any manager is only as good as the players at his disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Great stuff!

I tune in every week to see Bill & Co. and I have to say that they are the best panel of pundits around by a long way. I would much rather watch the RTE boyos than Gary 'jug ears' Lineker, and his pals Jamie Redknapp, Shearer and Anal Hansen with their PC bollox over on the BBC. Uncle Toms who don't have a bad word to say about anybody. As for Andy Gray and SKY- jesus you'd get better 'analysis' on Apres Match. Brown noses the lot of them over there. The RTE lads aren't afraid to tell it like it is, and imo that is an admirable quality, which is rare enough these days, in a world of hyped-up spivel. An awful lot of nonsense is talked about the game, especially in England, where the arse-lickers hype up even the sh1ttest of average players in the already overhyped premiershp. You know, the dross that play for mid-table mediocrity like Bolton, Wigan etc. The 'pundits' (I wouldn't even call them that) though who ply their trade across the water are a sad joke; has Jamie Redknapp ever criticised a player? Ever? And as for Ian Wright, well the best thing I can say about him is that he has a limited vocabulary. :D

The RTE lads, on the other hand, see right through the hype, the bull$hit, and tell it like it really is. They have the courage and the honesty to speak the truth, and face it, a lot of the time they're right- Ronaldo is a spoilt brat, Benitez is a clown, and Terry Venebles* is a fukcing fraudster (proven in court so no defamation there); and it seems some people throw a hissy fit when the lads speak their mind. Well guess what, the truth hurts, baby!

* One of Dunphy's many hilarious quotes: "He didn't turn up for his first match because he was doing a gig for the BBC's holiday programme." :D

hahahahahah.....

And that's what you get with the RTE panel; a sense of humour, honesty, integrity, moral courage, and a strong conviction underlying their beliefs. They aren't afraid to upset the establishment and tell it like it is. Cu#ts like Andy Townsend over on ITV just smile, nod, talk sh1te about the game, and are as dry as a nun's gusset too.

Dunphy is pure class though; an articulate and intelligent man who, quite clearly, cares about the game, and isn't afraid to stand up to the tyranny of hype and crap spouted by the mainstream. John Giles, a former great, and a living legend, is truely brilliant and has a deep love for the game he once played so well. I love his ever exuding nonchalance and his straighforward, no-nonsense analysis of a sport that is actually quite simple when you think about it. Then, there's Bill 'oakie doke' O'Herlihy; an accomplished anchor who is simply quite superb in the way he rouses his troops, and stirs up issues of topical interest for the panel to debate. Compare him to Richard 'apeman' Keys [shudders] or satan-lookalike Jim Rosenthal, and you'll soon realise what you're mssing. Honourable mentions, also, to Liam 'Chippy' Brady (temporarily absent with the Ireland gig, but hopefully should be back sometime in the future), and Graeme Souness.

Lads, in all fairness, we're very lucky to have such great pundits on the RTE panel. It'll be a sad day when they retire.

Well done lads, keep up the good work!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

On the topic of Arsenal not having money - how the hell do they have no money? They spend f-all and are the most expensive team in England (possibly the world in soccer terms) to watch and have a fairly large stadium.

Any source for this. I think if you put a little effort into some research you would see a different outcome.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Any source for this. I think if you put a little effort into some research you would see a different outcome.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/wolves/wolvesnews/4056860.Rugby_league_is_the_best_value_sport/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1172549/Grounds-concern-As-United-ramp-cost-season-tickets-heres-Sportsmails-club-club-guide-seasons-prices.html

Arsenals cheapest match day ticket is more expensive than the most of expensive of 14 other premiership sides.

Their most expensive ticket is more expensive than everyone else's.

Same type of trend with regards to season tickets.

So, in English football they are clearly the most expensive to watch. From a world perspective, I think England is the most expensive place to watch football. No source but i'm positive you can get season tickets for Barcelona a hell of a lot cheaper than Arsenal, I know prices in Germany are a lot lower than in England. I think it is the same in France and Italy.

This indicates I am right: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/yorkslincs/series11/week4_football_ripoff.shtml

You say if I did some research I would come up with a different outcome, so you must have some knowledge on the matter. Could you please provide some evidence of this to counter what I have said and what is linked above?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Souness should have just rubben Eamons nose in it that Keano isn't even his friend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement