Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comicbook database!

• 05-05-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭

Probably should be in the Resources thread: but anyway,

I found this excellent website for comics: www.comicbookdb.com

Basically a database to list all the comics that they can. Anyone can put up an etry, add or edit it. 99% of the comics have covers so you know it, they're listed by Name(original start run date) and then issue number and the release date of them.
    Excellent.

But better yet, you can set up an account and put up your own collection so you can keep track of it wherever you are, and it allows batch entries as well. Only thing is, if you batch entry check the covers, variant issues don't go in, just the regular cover.

Anyone else know of websites like this????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 halite

Theres a great bit of software called Collectorz http://www.collectorz.com/comic/

I started using it about a year ago and it is very good at cataloging what you have/want/have ordered.

Can't remeber how much I paid for it, I think about €25, but the software is updated for free with each release, and the database they use is very good with a lot of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

There's a bunch of websites like that for things like comics, manga, anime, films, books etc etc. Some people seem to really like them and get good use out of them but have to say they wouldn't do anything for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of other ones mentioned in the Resources thread but as I'm trying to tidy that up at the moment I'll add it in shortly.

I can see the appeal for collectors to share their comics with each other, especially with the whole variant covers aspect and so on, but the main thing I'd be interested with something like this would be to have a way of tracking what I've got for my own interest - which tbh I could probably do by knocking together a webserver myself. I notice that the collectorz site mentions the value of having a full list of your comics in case of making insurance claims, although I'd question their assertion that "the average comic collection is easily worth over thousands of dollars" because the value an insurer will agree to doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the cover price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭draven3410

having a list is handy if your collection is in Galway, I live in kildare and go into Dublin now and again so it helps to avoid getting the same one twice. Also that I can add my TPB also is a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

draven3410 wrote: »
    having a list is handy if your collection is in Galway, I live in kildare and go into Dublin now and again so it helps to avoid getting the same one twice. Also that I can add my TPB also is a plus.

yeah I can see that being of use/interest to people just wouldn't appeal to me, the amount of time it would take to add everything in my collection and then keep it updated would put me off. While I will admit to buying the same book twice and even the same DVD [not as bad as my mother who got the same harry potter film 4 times] I've never managed to buy the same comic twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I use librarything. Books far outweigh actual comics on my shelves so it makes sense.

Advertisement