Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farve meeting wth Viking's HC about possible return

• 06-05-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

Will he ever go away? How badly will he tarnish his reputation with the cheeseheads if goes to the Vikings of all place?
    Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

You're done Brett. Just ride away with some dignity huh?

Though tbh, as a Jets fan I'm really not sure I can post sensibly in relation to this guy. Last season left me bitter, so bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The thing is that anyone can have a bad season, especially when learning a new playbook for the first time since you came out of college. I don't think its right though for him to join the Vikings, thats the worst insult to Packers fans.

I am a long time fan of course and while this could be a disaster I just feel he wants to finish having made a big contribution which was not the case last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭shut up!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Though tbh, as a Jets fan I'm really not sure I can post sensibly in relation to this guy. Last season left me bitter, so bitter.

In fairness, he probably didn't mean to tear his bicep, and had he not, the Jets were a dead-cert for the Playoffs.

I think enough's enough too. Either retire or play, don't flip-flop though, that just makes him look foolish and weak tbh.

I understand, however, his desire to play is in part fuelled by the fact that he pretty much hates the Packers now, due to a perceived mis-treatment by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The guy can't make it through a regular season healthy. He can get barely halfway through before breaking down - these aren't Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger niggling injuries, these are your-career-is-over you-are-too-old-to-do-this injuries.

How is he supposed to lead them to the Superbowl?

The Vikes need a manager, not a gunslinger, also. Not Favre, not Rosenfels, probably not Jackson though he showed some potential towards the end of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I'd have to disagree. Rosenfals has a higher interception percentage then Favre based on last season and just watching Jackson in the Playoffs last year against the Eagles it's obvious he's not a NFL starting QB. Having Favre on the roster will at least improve these two backups.

Sure he faded down the stretch because he was injured but based on his current attributes he's at best an average starting QB which is better then Jackson and Rosenfals are. Another thing for the Vikings to ponder if of course he does sign with them is to make sure he doesn't fade during the season. It helps that a running game with Peterson which means they can sit him late in games should they have a big lead. Just looking at their schedule it helps that they have very little cold weather games.

However when all's said and done it's obvious he's doing this to spite Ted Thompson and the Packers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree. Rosenfals has a higher interception percentage then Favre based on last season and just watching Jackson in the Playoffs last year against the Eagles it's obvious he's not a NFL starting QB. Having Favre on the roster will at least improve these two backups.

Sure he faded down the stretch because he was injured but based on his current attributes he's at best an average starting QB which is better then Jackson and Rosenfals are. Another thing for the Vikings to ponder if of course he does sign with them is to make sure he doesn't fade during the season. It helps that a running game with Peterson which means they can sit him late in games should they have a big lead. Just looking at their schedule it helps that they have very little cold weather games.

However when all's said and done it's obvious he's doing this to spite Ted Thompson and the Packers

Exactly. I think its 11 out of 16 being played in a dome.
    Vikings will depend a lot more on their running game than GB or NYJ thus resting Favre a lot more.
    If i was a Vikings fan and it came down to starting either a fully fit Favre, Rosenfals or Jackson my choice would be No.4 everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Favre's an addict and I think he's replaced the painkillers with a need for attention. I think he just wants the speculation as it feeds his ego. I don't think he'll play next year, simply because he should have had that op if he wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

jdivision wrote: »
    Favre's an addict and I think he's replaced the painkillers with a need for attention. I think he just wants the speculation as it feeds his ego. I don't think he'll play next year, simply because he should have had that op if he wanted to.

That'll prob just fuel him more tbh. "Arrrrrggghhh - surgery is for pussies, I'm 112 and I can still get it done with nothing but a shot of whiskey and some good old fashioned cajones"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If i was a Vikings fan and it came down to starting either a fully fit Favre, Rosenfals or Jackson my choice would be No.4 everytime.

John David Booty? He hasn't thrown a pass yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Pherekydes wrote: »

He wont either even if Favre doesnt go to the Vikes.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »

No wonder he hasn't since he's a third stringer.

I kind of like this hole Brett Favre thing it is funny you have to admit. Oh Jets im going to retire please release me haha Ring Ring Mr Vikings are you still looking for a QB nothing pleases me more than still trying to get one over the Pack! His arrogance and petulant childish behaviour is legend in my opinion. I want to grow up just like him. :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The ironic thing about his interest in the Vikings is that he has had a losing record in his career when playing in the 'baggie dome'.

Seriously, the guy played well the first half of last season BUT faded down the stretch.

You know what comes after "the stretch"? The playoffs! He's not going to stay fit.

I'm going to keep saying this until Brad Childress starts reading boards.ie

The ironic thing about his interest in the Vikings is that he has had a losing record in his career when playing in the 'baggie dome'.

Pretty sure he will kick this playing more regular in there though. And with an Offense Like the Vikes hey why not given him a go. A good strong O-line and AP in the backfield. Bring on the Big child called Favre is what I say. Who needs soaps when we have No 4. Legend :D:D:D:D

I can see AP getting very sick, very quickly of every possession ending up in an interception, and him getting about 2 touches a game...

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I can see AP getting very sick, very quickly of every possession ending up in an interception, and him getting about 2 touches a game...

I highly doubt Favre isnt going to hand the ball off if he goes there now in fairness. Even in some of Favres and the Packers worse years they still produced a min of 1000 yards with average back now Put AP in your backfield. The Jets has 2004 yards rushing last year by the way.

I highly doubt Favre isnt going to hand the ball off if he goes there now in fairness. Even in some of Favres and the Packers worse years they still produced a min of 1000 yards with average back now Put AP in your backfield. The Jets has 2004 yards rushing last year by the way.

My god man look up the word sarcasm...

Neil3030 wrote: »
    My god man look up the word sarcasm...

My god man sarcasm doesnt work through text im afraid......... Hold on while I put on my internet reality sensing helmet and add this with my spidey senses to sense your sarcasm through my super computer porthole. Oh and did I mention I have been drinking.......

Report coming through that he's denied the Vikings offer and will stay retired. Still don't think this is true however he was never a fan of minicamps/spring training/OTA's so who knows he could still possibly change his mind come preseason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Report coming through that he's denied the Vikings offer and will stay retired. Still don't think this is true however he was never a fan of minicamps/spring training/OTA's so who knows he could still possibly change his mind come preseason

Brett Favre remains retired -- for now -- despite reports that Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress planned to meet with him this week and try to talk him into coming to the team

Don't forget that he formally retired last year and then came back to play with the Jets in August. Nothing is certain in No.4's world

I love the way they throw in the word "for now" after every report.

Favre: "I'm retired"
    Media: "...for now"
    Favre: *mows lawns*
    Media: *waits for development*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lolfarveaments.
    The health of quarterback Brett Favre's throwing arm appears to be a pivotal factor in whether he comes out of retirement to play for the Minnesota Vikings.

A source close to the situation told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Friday that X-rays of Favre's right shoulder -- he has pain resulting from a torn biceps tendon -- have been sent to the Vikings and that the X-rays are in the process of being evaluated. If it is determined by Favre's and the Vikings' medical people that he needs anything less than "major" surgery on his shoulder, Favre will unretire to play for the Vikings, the source said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4152783&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Why did Brett Favre cross the road?

He didn't, he held numerous press conferencs saying he would but just stood at the corner forever

Really goes to show how fast you can go from God to zero if you outstay your welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

If he has any class he should retire now and relax and reap the benefits.

You can't blame the guy for being bored I suppose.

I'd say every time somebody says "stay retired, spend time with your kids, work on your ranch" he thinks "fuck I have nothing to do for the next forty years" and decides to delay it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Karlusss wrote: »
    You can't blame the guy for being bored I suppose.

I'd say every time somebody says "stay retired, spend time with your kids, work on your ranch" he thinks "fuck I have nothing to do for the next forty years" and decides to delay it a bit more.

Exactly. He'll be retired long enough.
    If a team still wants him you can't blame him for being interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tommyj

vikings got to the playoffs last season without a quarterback of note.(frerotte and jackson are rubbish)
    should favre sign with the vikings(even at 70% for example) i see him taking them to the nfc championship game and who knows after that.
    lets wait and see

Advertisement