Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farve meeting wth Viking's HC about possible return

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

tommyj wrote: »
    vikings got to the playoffs last season without a quarterback of note.(frerotte and jackson are rubbish)
    should favre sign with the vikings(even at 70% for example) i see him taking them to the nfc championship game and who knows after that.
    lets wait and see

Vikings got to the playoffs just ahead of an average Bears team with a bi-polar defence and a offence with no passing game. The Packers were always going to struggle a little with a new qb and a terrible summer, then we had the Lions:D The North will be far better next year with the Bears and Packers both imo looking good for the playoffs. Vikings for me still rely on AP a wee bit much and Farve or not will need to raise their game substantially to even make the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

tommyj wrote: »
    vikings got to the playoffs last season without a quarterback of note.(frerotte and jackson are rubbish)
    should favre sign with the vikings(even at 70% for example) i see him taking them to the nfc championship game and who knows after that.
    lets wait and see

The Bears now have a QB and an O line.

Should make for a more interesting division this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d810496fe/Favre-Trumped

This is hilarious stuff.

Favre threw 9 INTs in the last few games...

"I was standing on a cliff and it was very windy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

I just watched a video on nfl.com that said that farve was meeting with Dr. Jim Andrews(known to wrestling fans) on friday (yesterday) about his bicep. Am I the only person that thinks that the whole soap opera of last season and possibly this season will end up hurting his legacy ? Or does Farve even care about that at this point ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I just watched a video on nfl.com that said that farve was meeting with Dr. Jim Andrews(known to wrestling fans) on friday (yesterday) about his bicep. Am I the only person that thinks that the whole soap opera of last season and possibly this season will end up hurting his legacy ? Or does Farve even care about that at this point ?

How will it hurt what he has achieved in the past? He is still going to go to the Hall of Fame as a great. He may lose a bit of respect for his recent shennanigans but no one can take away what he has done in his career. He knows that in his own head id say and probably why the press and people fuel his antics so much.

Funny thing is if the press ignored Brett and his drama he probably would have given up. Ask yourself this why do people continue to give a damn what he does and continue to talk about him in the national press in the US? If everybody is sick of it why dont they just say Whatever Brett next story? I will tell why becuase it sells and if he does go to the Vikings they will cash in on the amount of Jerseys Brett Favre will sell, The amount of T-shirts he will sell etc etc...

If the man wants to play football and a team are willing to pay his contract whats the big deal. Dont discuss it ignore it and let him do what he does on the field then maybe once and for all he might realise if he has become a media whore that no one cares anymore and he may retire.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

. Am I the only person that thinks that the whole soap opera of last season and possibly this season will end up hurting his legacy ? ?

Not at all. The guy is already assured a place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has numerous passing records and a Superbowl ring. He loves to play football, what's wrong with that? He's not all about the money (like some) and even when he's accomplished so much in his career, he's still considering playing on! That's impressive qualities when you're playing in such a violent sport.

I for one hope to see Favre under centre with the Vikings next year even though it looks doubtful now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

And he's back it seems.

http://wcco.com/vikings/brett.favre.vikings.2.1057007.html
    That source said that Favre and the Vikings have indeed come to a contractual agreement, with heavy incentives. The Vikings equipment manager has already ordered number 4 purple jerseys with his name on i

I really, really hate myself for this, but I kinda want to see him go down early.

Favre was a role model on a par with Santa for not only a generation or two of Wisconsin kids, but for people who just respected how he went about playing the game. This is pretty much the worst thing that could have happened. Jets, okay. But going to the rival of the team you put your heart and soul into for a decade is going to break a lot of hearts, and it's just not a classy move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

It wont hurt his legacy in regard to the Hall of Fame or anything like that but I think it will with alot of fans . Everyone LOVED him but now most people seem to be sick of his will I retire or wont I retire thing. And for Packer fans, I mean if he goes to the Vikings, how do they ever look at him the same?

Personally I have no problem with him wanting to play. At the end of the day its his life. Honestly I love the whole thing! Its like some bad 80's action movie with Steve Segal or something. A man out for revenge! If he goes the Packers v Vikings game in Lambeau will be amazing!

Karlusss wrote: »
    Favre was a role model on a par with Santa for not only a generation or two of Wisconsin kids, but for people who just respected how he went about playing the game.

Really funny thing about this. I spend alot of time in WI and alot of his die hard fans jumped ship with him. Not that they followed the Jets or will ever follow the Vikes but alot of them are no longer big Pack fans and just want to see Brett Favre play and will follow him til the end of the earth. Those who are pre Brett or those who only started following the Pack towards the end of his career are the ones that dont respect him anymore or just want to see him retire. But those who lieterally grew up with his career are Brett Favre Fans not Pack Fans.

Still begs the question had the Pack given Favre another year would he be doing all this? At the end of it if he wants to play whats the big deal? Vikes are the only ones willing to give him playing time so why wouldnt he join them. I think the whole thing is legend really funny as fook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I want Favre to succed this season except when he plays against the Niners but even I must admit that this will he won't he saga for the second offseason in a row is getting ridiciculously old. The entire off-season news is all about him, and its getting irritating beyond belief.

The Packers still made the right decision moving on when they did, I think. If Rodgers is still sitting behind Favre going into 2009, then he's not going to start for the Packers ever and they've missed the boat on a starting calibre quarterback because they can't get their current guy to decide permanently whether he's retiring or not until training camp every year.

Wonder if the Vikings would prefer to be signing Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre? If people are dismissing the Cardinals' chances because how unlikely it is that Warner will stay as healthy again this year, then surely Favre is pretty much red alert leave-your-season-in-the-air material.

And if they don't do it this year, what? Childress will probably be gone, Favre will eventually have to stop playing football at some point even if he's not forced out by injury. It's kind of an all-in move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

The Packers still made the right decision moving on when they did, I think. If Rodgers is still sitting behind Favre going into 2009, then he's not going to start for the Packers ever and they've missed the boat on a starting calibre quarterback because they can't get their current guy to decide permanently whether he's retiring or not until training camp every year.

Wonder if the Vikings would prefer to be signing Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre? If people are dismissing the Cardinals' chances because how unlikely it is that Warner will stay as healthy again this year, then surely Favre is pretty much red alert leave-your-season-in-the-air material.

And if they don't do it this year, what? Childress will probably be gone, Favre will eventually have to stop playing football at some point even if he's not forced out by injury. It's kind of an all-in move.

Agree with you that its all in for the Vikings. I dont blame Childress for thinking like that, another year of T jack or the Sage experiment would mean hes gone anyway!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Still begs the question had the Pack given Favre another year would he be doing all this? At the end of it if he wants to play whats the big deal? Vikes are the only ones willing to give him playing time so why wouldnt he join them. I think the whole thing is legend really funny as fook.

There's a few teams out there who would take him but he's turned around and said if he doesn't sign for the vikings he'll stay retired. This smacks of him just wanting to get back at Ted Thompson.

There's a few teams out there who would take him but he's turned around and said if he doesn't sign for the vikings he'll stay retired. This smacks of him just wanting to get back at Ted Thompson.

Show me where those words came directly from his mouth. See this what annoys me about the whole thing the Media. One side of the media are making him out to be an ahole only trying to get back at the Packers and the other side are telling him he should retire or he will ruin his reputation. Maybe if both sides ignored it Favre would have given up along time ago. I have never read anything directly quoted from Favre saying he wouldnt play anywhere else other than the Vikings. If Im wrong I stand corrected. If you were to believe the media it seems that the Vikes persistance to sign him has made him think twice this year. But its no secret the Vikes always wanted him even before he went to the Jets they made it known they were interested.

And not many Packers fans like Ted Thompson anyway. I spend alot of time in those parts and you rarely here packers fans say anything nice of Ted Thompson. Alot believe its his fault Favre is gone.

Show me where those words came directly from his mouth. See this what annoys me about the whole thing the Media. One side of the media are making him out to be an ahole only trying to get back at the Packers and the other side are telling him he should retire or he will ruin his reputation. Maybe if both sides ignored it Favre would have given up along time ago. I have never read anything directly quoted from Favre saying he wouldnt play anywhere else other than the Vikings. If Im wrong I stand corrected. If you were to believe the media it seems that the Vikes persistance to sign him has made him think twice this year. But its no secret the Vikes always wanted him even before he went to the Jets they made it known they were interested.

And not many Packers fans like Ted Thompson anyway. I spend alot of time in those parts and you rarely here packers fans say anything nice of Ted Thompson. Alot believe its his fault Favre is gone.

Here's an interview he did with Joe buck.

Q. Is Minnesota the only team on your radar?

A. “That’s all I’ve talked to. It makes perfect sense as far as coming back because it’s an offense that I ran for 16 years. I could teach the offense. It was tough going to New York last year because I was two weeks late, it was a totally new offense for me and I thought, ‘This won’t be too bad.’ And [Jets offensive coordinator] Brian Schottenheimer and [coach Eric] Mangini and those guys were great with me because we condensed it down to where I could at least call the plays. But it was like learning a foreign language.”

I find it strange how someone who seems so desperate to come back has only spoken to one team. I will accept that Vikes make the most sense because they are so good everywhere else except QB and they have a chance of going to the SB which is what he wants, but I think going to Packs biggest rivals and a team in their division so he can stick it to TT is a big factor. I wonder if Vikes went after one of the top QB's in the draft would Farve still want to come of retirement and play with the Browns for example. While many Pack fans mightn't like TT I'd say they are all alot happier with Rodgers under center then Farve.

I find it strange how someone who seems so desperate to come back has only spoken to one team. It's from an interview he did with Joe buck a few weeks ago. While many Pack fans mightn't like TT I'd say they are all alot happier with Rodgers under center then Farve.

You are basically speculating on that one interview. It doesnt give you any indication that he snubbed other teams in favour of the Vikes. It doesnt give us any indication that any other team even approached him. And for the desperate thing the fact the vikes run a similar offense as he says in the interview and they have always been interested it is the most logical choice really. But then again we dont know if he ever snubbed other teams or any others teams showed interest.

As for the the Pack fans liking Rogers better? 50/50 Id say. Dont forget a high number were Brett Favre fans first then the the Pack and then the fact the season previous they did alot better than they had in a long time by getting to a Championship game alot were shocked he was "retiring". I was in Wisconsin last season when Favre "retired" and honestly it was mixed emotions. alot doubted the decision becuase they had a good season the season previous.

You are basically speculating on that one interview. It doesnt give you any indication that he snubbed other teams in favour of the Vikes. It doesnt give us any indication that any other team even approached him. And for the desperate thing the fact the vikes run a similar offense as he says in the interview and they have always been interested it is the most logical choice really. But then again we dont know if he ever snubbed other teams or any others teams showed interest.

As for the the Pack fans liking Rogers better? 50/50 Id say. Dont forget a high number were Brett Favre fans first then the the Pack and then the fact the season previous they did alot better than they had in a long time by getting to a Championship game alot were shocked he was "retiring". I was in Wisconsin last season when Favre "retired" and honestly it was mixed emotions. alot doubted the decision becuase they had a good season the season previous.

Well I doubt he's going to turn around and say "I only want to go to the vikings and no one else". While fair enough I am only speculating about it all I'd still be surprised if no other team wanted him, even the Browns and manngini must of been interested considering he's not sold on Anderson or Brady it seems.

I'm sure if Farve never said he was going to retire they would of wanted him to stay and start but when he did the whole "I'm retiring...er no actually I want to come back" after they were all prepared to go with Rodgers I think most Packer fans(Farve fans might of felt different) would of felt it was it for the best not to take him back, still I'm sure a big % didn't thoug obviously since he was such a legend. While I'm not a fan of his I hope he does join the Viking as it will make that division so exciting, bears-cutler, Packers-Rodgers, vikes- Farve, Lions - Stafford(possibly) some epic matches to look forward too.

While I'm not a fan of his I hope he does join the Viking as it will make that division so exciting, bears-cutler, Packers-Rodgers, vikes- Farve, Lions - Stafford(possibly) some epic matches to look forward too.

+1 to that.

• Advertisement

To be fair there aren't a whole lot of franchises outside the Pats, the Steelers and the Colts where the GM is actually popular. It's gonna be rare that fans are going to take the administrative as$hole's side ahead of the veteran quarterback's, but there's no real indication that they made the wrong decision yet and I'm sure somebody asked "would we prefer to have Rodgers play for us and Favre against us or vice versa" and came up with an answer that could be tough for fans to swallow.

Definitely agree that it'll be interesting to watch anyway. The scenarios are endless:

Peterson goes down against the Packers and Favre has to throw for it against against a team who put up 26 points per game on average in 2008 - it's a Madden Moment waiting to happen.

To be fair there aren't a whole lot of franchises outside the Pats, the Steelers and the Colts where the GM is actually popular. It's gonna be rare that fans are going to take the administrative as$hole's side ahead of the veteran quarterback's, but there's no real indication that they made the wrong decision yet and I'm sure somebody asked "would we prefer to have Rodgers play for us and Favre against us or vice versa" and came up with an answer that could be tough for fans to swallow.

Definitely agree that it'll be interesting to watch anyway. The scenarios are endless:

Peterson goes down against the Packers and Favre has to throw for it against against a team who put up 26 points per game on average in 2008 - it's a Madden Moment waiting to happen.

Very true but with teams like the Packers were they are generations and generations of fans going to games I guess they feel the club owes them. And why not the Fans in WI and Green Bay made the Packers what they are. They have been filling stadiums for longer than us lot have been alive and in some of the ****tiest weather. And I guess clubs like that have fans who feel their opinion counts. Wisconsin folk remind me of us Paddy in fact people in Midwest when it comes to sport. Everyone has an opinion and feel the club they support owes them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

[quote=Karlusss;60884327]To be fair there aren't a whole lot of franchises outside the Pats, the Steelers and the Colts where the GM is actually popular.[/quote]
    And just on a present note, Michael Jackson is who we have to thank for having that owner. It was his failed Victory tour where the Sullivans lost huge money and ended up having to sell on. I know they didn't directly sell it to Bob Kraft but it would never have happened if they had not lost their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Well I doubt he's going to turn around and say "I only want to go to the vikings and no one else". While fair enough I am only speculating about it all I'd still be surprised if no other team wanted him, even the Browns and manngini must of been interested considering he's not sold on Anderson or Brady it seems.

I'm sure if Farve never said he was going to retire they would of wanted him to stay and start but when he did the whole "I'm retiring...er no actually I want to come back" after they were all prepared to go with Rodgers I think most Packer fans(Farve fans might of felt different) would of felt it was it for the best not to take him back, still I'm sure a big % didn't thoug obviously since he was such a legend. While I'm not a fan of his I hope he does join the Viking as it will make that division so exciting, bears-cutler, Packers-Rodgers, vikes- Farve, Lions - Stafford(possibly) some epic matches to look forward too.

The NFC North is going to be the most compelling division this year. The NFC East has the reputation as the big cities/history division but its the North where it is at.

themont85 wrote: »
    The NFC North is going to be the most compelling division this year. The NFC East has the reputation as the big cities/history division but its the North where it is at.

The whole NFC has now surpassed the AFC as being the better conference I think. I couldn't confidently pick a division winner in any of the NFC divisions while I confidently tip the Pats and Chargers to win their respective divisions and do it quite comfortably.

I couldn't confidently pick a division winner in any of the NFC divisions while I confidently tip the Pats and Chargers to win their respective divisions and do it quite comfortably.

The Pats don't have an easy division though. They're just a very good team in a medium-strength division. Any of the other three could be wildcards this year.

Chargers though, I'm with you. They just sleep the first half of the year out, then wake up in time for getting into the playoffs.

Advertisement