Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Away From Home Allowance

Options
  • 06-05-2009 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Any backpacker's who have got this allowance. How do you go about getting it?
    I know that some backpacker's have got it. Is there any other allowances I should know about before claiming tax back in July?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It's *edit* not designed illegal for people on a working holiday visa, some employers may hand it out, but it's dodgy as hell

You cannot claim in personally, your company must do it on your behalf, (AFAIK)

My company said they would not give it to me, and I rang the tax agencies about it, and they said it must be done for me ....

Other tax breaks

Medicare, pay no medicare allowance since you are on a WHV
    any costs to your job (if you ha to pay for uniforms etc)
    if a builder you can claim things like sun cream etc

anything that you need to work, you can claim (nearly)

also if you get sponsorship, you can claim the cost of visa etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I got a job there last week in Sydney in Colonial First and the job agency set me up to get paid through Jeffery Nathan and they set me up for the Living away from home allowance and another fella who is working with me is on the WHV got set up on it so how is it illegal????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Of course its not illegal for WHVs to get LAFW allowance, its practically designed for WHV's and as mentioned before Jeffrey Nathan offer it and also they do payroll for loads of agencies to if you are with an agency just ask them if they can pay you through JN and then set it up that way.. no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes apologies, illegal is the wrong word. But it is definitely not intended for WHV, as on a WHV you are on a holiday rather than living away from home for work, either way if you can claim it.
    The Aussie government hasn't closed that loophole yet.

Guys make sure Geofrey Nathan isn't getting 10%, they should be down around the 3-4% for pay roll.

The ATO released a document (TD 2000 / D5) which argued that Working Holiday Makers were not eligible to receive a LAFHA, but this was not on official ruling, as each individual case is unique, if you are found to be not eligible you are liable for returning tax and interest ... thread carefully

interesting thread http://www.brainbox.com.au/brainbox/home.nsf/0/AD47B03FD18BEC0D49256D5E00369615?opendocument

and the ato's view
    http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=MTR/MT2030/NAT/ATO/00001
    http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?DocID=SAV%2FFBTGEMP2%2F00011

Advertisement