Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Niska wrote: »
    Haven't been playing this as much as I'd like - damn you Fallout 3:GOTY!

However, my plans to give this play priority this weekend may be a mistake.....

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4901

That's awesome :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ooh that sounds cool! Definitely log on over the wkend.
    Quick question for the DS gurus - is there any good spots to farm for souls? I'm not that far into the game and finding it expensive going already (only lvl32 and upgrading attributes costing me close to 7k), I usually just kill red eyes in 1-1 several times and maybe clear that lvl and 2-1, but was wondering if there was a better way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

noodler wrote: »
    Shipped two hours ago. Damn they are quick.

Mine arrived with DHL this morning. Ordered it on Wednesday.

That's pretty impressive if they're shipping from Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Quick question for the DS gurus - is there any good spots to farm for souls?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/farming

Seriously, bookmark that wiki. It's invaluable.

I used this one a lot.

Requirements:
    Black world tendency
    Magic: Soul Thirst
    Equip: Ring of Avarice, Stormruler, or a good bow

Details:
    First go to the Old Hero Archstone walk towards the Stormking boss area use soul thirst
    and the ring of avarice equip your bow or Stormruler kill all the Storm Beast
    it will be quick and you will get around 20k souls in 2 min and you will get plenty of cloud stones. Repeat.
    - Soul Light also works great for the mantas if you are a magic user.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Niska wrote: »
    Haven't been playing this as much as I'd like - damn you Fallout 3:GOTY!

However, my plans to give this play priority this weekend may be a mistake.....

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4901

What does the link point to? I cant access it from work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

What does the link point to? I cant access it from work.

Here you go:
    Heroes of Boletaria, be warned: the Old One's power will grow on All Hallow's Eve
    HEROES OF BOLETARIA, BE WARNED:
    THE OLD ONE'S POWER WILL GROW ON ALL HALLOW'S EVE
    If you opt to play Demon's Souls online on Halloween, quest with caution...

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- OCTOBER 29, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today passed along an ominous warning to online players of the sleeper hit Demon's Souls™ for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

"Early reports from the Kingdom of Boletaria indicate that the Old One's power grows," announced Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus, shuffling awkwardly under the weight of his full set of fluted armor. "We've discovered that the nefarious Demon will seek to descend the land in pure blackness on All Hallow's Eve. His minions will be more powerful, but the rewards for those who seek to challenge them will be greater as well. We don't know how long this dark tendency will last, but we do advise those prone to controller-into-LCD syndrome to proceed carefully." Jabbari then cackled as he quickly put a Thief's ring on his finger and disappeared.

Demon's Souls is out now for PlayStation 3 system and retails with an MSRP of $59.99. For more information, visit the game's official website (LINK) and wiki (LINK).

Critical acclaim for Demon's Souls:

9/10, Editor's Choice Award - "Brutally challenging and utterly engrossing, this innovative role-playing game is one of the year's best." (GameSpot)
    9/10, Gold Award - "...one of the first truly great RPGs of this generation..." (Game Informer)
    9.4, Editor's Choice Award - "It's utterly unique among the offerings on any console right now, and absolutely, positively should not be missed." (Sam Bishop, IGN)
    9.5/10 - "Gorgeous, thoughtful, and complete unto itself, it's the second-best title I've played this year. Maybe even better." (Play Magazine)
    5/5 - "Demon's Souls is the best game I've played all year." (RPGamer)
    95 - "Without question, Demon's Souls is one of 2009's finest titles, and an amazing, challenging journey without equal." (GameCritics)
    94% - "This is a truly exceptional RPG experience that hasn't been offered by any other game in its genre." (GameZone)
    Demon's Souls has been rated "M" for Mature with Blood and Violence by the ESRB.

#####

About Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
    Located in Irvine, California and founded in 1991, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is renowned for its proud tradition of publishing exceptional role-playing games with strong niche appeal. The Atlus library of critically acclaimed video games includes Odin Sphere, the Trauma Center series, and the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei series. For more information, visit http://www.atlus.com.

For breaking news, special promotions, insider info, and more, visit http://www.atlus.com/faithful to join the ranks of the Atlus Faithful!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/AtlusUSA
    Facebook Page: www.atlus.com/facebook

©2009 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INC. Licensed to and published by Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
    AtlusAram is offline Reply With Quote

Ah class, shame I'm away for the weekend.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/farming

Seriously, bookmark that wiki. It's invaluable.

I used this one a lot.

Cheers for that! Think I actually saw it linked before in this thread but didn't give it a proper read. Will do now for sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Thats cool it will save me a load epeheral eyes. Was about to 4,5 and 1 to get the weapons and colorless souls.

As for soul farming, if you've a woman character i highly advise going to 3-1 to get the silver bracelet, 20% more souls when equipped. Also stacks with the ring of avarice from 3-2. For the start 4-1 is the best, you'll be able to get a few thousand souls in a min or 2. Be wary tho for a starter its tough, i recommend flameshiled and the winged spear upgraded a good bit, good foil against the enemy there. The sooner you fin 4-1 the better, 4-2 and 4-3 is where the real souls are. Just waiting on allant now so i'm dropping blue stones at 4-2 and getting 60-70k per run. In NG+ in another game i was gettign 200K+ running back from 4-3 through 4-2.

Fecking yanks are bloody harsh when it comes to rating in this game, spent most of last night blue phantoming in 1-3 or 4-2. 2 rounds in 4-2 i snuck up on the boss and firestormed him 2 and knockig off 95% of his health, deling the deathblow each time and they only gave me a C. Black phantoms in the version seem to be alot easier, they've all got ugitana, keel smasher or meatclever and heavy armour, moon kijii5 and light armour makes short work of them. Killd one BP last night and he dropped 80K souls, next guy in the same run dropped 50K./

Had to do some grinding last nite to bring my knight up to strength level 22 (to use the flame shield singlehanded) and I must say I'm kicking ass in 2-1 where before I was running scared.
    Do people reckon its better to do 2-1 before I go back to 1-2?

• Advertisement

2-1 is advisable, 1-2's boss can be tricky. Flame shield is veery handy for 2-1 boss.

2-1 is advisable, 1-2's boss can be tricky. Flame shield is veery handy for 2-1 boss.

That shield (and some magic) is also a must for the 2-2 boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

When i got my US version I started again as a Royal. I was surprised to get past 1-1 without dying but not as surprised as I was when I got past 1-2. Can't believe I got to and killed the tower knight without dying and then Managed to get halfway through 4-1.

The changes to the game over halloween got me to Miralda for the fist time but I still can't beat her. Kills me with one hit.

I didn't think she was too bad at all - moves very fast but not that much damage dealt. I found it easier to fight her if you lead her back out to the grassy area - gives you more room to back away and heal up if need be etc.
    Although maybe she was different over Halloween, I noticed good ole red eyes spawned two phantom knights to fight at his side the cheeky sod.

One thing I noticed was handy (prob common sense) was to always lower my shield after blocking an attack so my stamina regenerates quicker (once you're out of attack range etc).

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I didn't think she was too bad at all - moves very fast but not that much damage dealt. I found it easier to fight her if you lead her back out to the grassy area - gives you more room to back away and heal up if need be etc.
    Although maybe she was different over Halloween, I noticed good ole red eyes spawned two phantom knights to fight at his side the cheeky sod.

One thing I noticed was handy (prob common sense) was to always lower my shield after blocking an attack so my stamina regenerates quicker (once you're out of attack range etc).

I'm not sure how hard she is normally but over the weekend she was in Black phantom form and hid to the side of the doorway before the pit.
    I tried fighting her at the grassy bit and even at the archstone to no avail.

I was using the kiji as a weapon and even with strong attacks i was only taking 20 off her each time. The problem was that although I could get her down to about 30% health, she would eventually get me with that single killing swipe. Even got the heater shield to rebound her attacks but a few times she would perform a follow up and hit me before I could even counter.

I'm sure I'll get her eventually.

You're a mage so soul arrow her to death. When you run low on MP, unlock from her and run away and top up and reengage. Never tried but she's easy to back stab with thief ring equipped. Also use the kris knife and try to get ring of magical sharpness to boost soul arrow.

I'd advise getting some dark moonstones and bumping the kijii to crescent, your magic level modifies the damage dealt.

You're a mage so soul arrow her to death. When you run low on MP, unlock from her and run away and top up and reengage. Never tried but she's easy to back stab with thief ring equipped. Also use the kris knife and try to get ring of magical sharpness to boost soul arrow.

I'd advise getting some dark moonstones and bumping the kijii to crescent, your magic level modifies the damage dealt.

Yeah I think my character's level is too low. He's only lvl 15. Using soul arrow was a waste of time. I might as well have been throwing snowballs at her. I went through 5 bottles of fresh spice and even spent time letting the fragrant ring build up and still only got her down to about 50- 60%.

I have a level 71 soldier on my Asian version but unfortunately it seems the changes only applied to the NA version.

I just knocked Miralda off the stairs straight away, easy peasy :D Satsuki was much harder, took about 4 tries

ShaneU wrote: »
    I just knocked Miralda off the stairs straight away, easy peasy :D Satsuki was much harder, took about 4 tries

Yeah I was thinking of doing that. But I think it counts as a terrain kill and doesn't shift your CT (if that really matters).

i am having trouble logging onto the online part of the game, each time i load up the game i get a message saying " cannot connect to demons souls server" so i checked the english leaflet that comes with game and it says you maybe required to designate a port to allow communication and it lists the port numbers as TCP: 18000 18666 UPD: 3658

the trouble is, i dont know how to designate a port or if thats even the problem. does anybody know how to designate a port? or did anybody have a similar problem and figured out another way to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

i am having trouble logging onto the online part of the game, each time i load up the game i get a message saying " cannot connect to demons souls server" so i checked the english leaflet that comes with game and it says you maybe required to designate a port to allow communication and it lists the port numbers as TCP: 18000 18666 UPD: 3658

the trouble is, i dont know how to designate a port or if thats even the problem. does anybody know how to designate a port? or did anybody have a similar problem and figured out another way to fix it?

My copy arrives earlier.

If I can't log onto the server I will be freaked.

I was playing yesterday evening and after a while there was a lack of "ghosts" and bloodstains. I could have been disconnected from the server.
    Its happened to me a few times.
    BTW, I didnt have to open any ports to get the connection to the server initially.

Cracked it open tonight. More GOW and DMC than I expected but whatever.

Anybody think it is too dark? I mean the game told me to turn the brightness down so I couldn't see the shield emblem but still feels annoyingly dark.

I was playing the tutorial and got to a boss eventually and died which brought me back to the Nexus. Can I get back to that boss again or am I doing the right (and only) thing by starting on from the palace?

The Deluxe Edition is bootiful btw and VG+ even through in the Artbook and OST.

Anybody think it is too dark? I mean the game told me to turn the brightness down so I couldn't see the shield emblem but still feels annoyingly dark.
    I actually had to turn the brightness up to see the shield, maybe you're used to having it bright?
    I was playing the tutorial and got to a boss eventually and died which brought me back to the Nexus. Can I get back to that boss again or am I doing the right (and only) thing by starting on from the palace?
    you have to die there.

If I go back to the Nexus and buy some fire bombs and then quit. Next time I load up will I have the Fire Bombs or not?

Stuck on 1-2 at the moment (if thats the one with the bridges) but I forgot to do something at the Nexus after killing Phalanx.

I think its factors other than my brightness Shane, I think I just never sorted out the proper contrast, sharpness etc for the Samsung. Wish the game installed - can hear my poor laser struggling with it.

If I go back to the Nexus and buy some fire bombs and then quit. Next time I load up will I have the Fire Bombs or not?
    yes

Am i really sposed to kill the red dragon by shooting 200 arrows at it in 1-2?

Fcuk that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I came back after levelling up a bit and did it with 40 arrows. You don't need to kill the dragon to beat 1-2. I only beat it yesterday without killing the dragon.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I came back after levelling up a bit and did it with 40 arrows. You don't need to kill the dragon to beat 1-2. I only beat it yesterday without killing the dragon.

Cheers, I am having problems at the last bridge before the fog. I am running from flames but also run into two Blue-Eyes and a crap load of crossbowers.

Any attempt to back up away from the blue Eyes means instant-toast.

I am a hunter and so started with a Long Bow - is that better for killing the Dragon than the short bow Ii just picked up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm a hunter as well. To be honest I didn't really use the long bow much until now. It's definitely better than the short bow. I've been using the Axe mostly which has been upgraded a bit. However I had levelled up a little bt at this point since I gave up on 1-2 and did 2-1 instead and then came back to it. Also I didn't kill the dragon until I finished 1-2. I had trouble with those blue eyed knights as well. My tactic was to quickly take out the archers before the blue eyed knight got near then took out the blue eyed knights one by one. They are tough but not impossible if you learn how to manage your stamina.

You are better off giving up on 1-2 and trying 2-1. It's not as tough and there's plenty of shortcuts that open up so you can go through the level then get a shortcut back to the archstone to head back to the nexus and spend your souls on stat upgrades by talking to the hot girl wit the sexy voice in the nexus. There's no shortcuts in 2-1 which means you end up dying a lot and losing souls and making no progress. Also one of the shortcuts in 2-1 leads to a really good blacksmith who can upgrade your weapons into new types so it's well worth doing and the boss is nowhere near as tough as the boss of 2-1. Also 3-1 seems to be worth doing as well. I get the impression that doing it will open up a shop with really good magic spells, much better than the ones available from the nexus.

Advertisement