Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bosses definitely seem to be getting easier - Old Monk and Penetrator (titter) were a joke.

em... for old monk did you play offline? If you play offline then yeah he is a joke, but if you are connected to online he usually gets controlled by another player and is an absolute pain. Must of fought him 30 different times with different people controlling him and I just couldn't beat him. They'd always run away and heal.

I ended up pulling the network cable out of my PS3 and passing him offline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

L31mr0d wrote: »
    em... for old monk did you play offline? If you play offline then yeah he is a joke, but if you are connected to online he usually gets controlled by another player and is an absolute pain. Must of fought him 30 different times with different people controlling him and I just couldn't beat him. They'd always run away and heal.

I ended up pulling the network cable out of my PS3 and passing him offline.

Well I tend to always play online, so perhaps I was just lucky he wasn't possessed :pac: I was wondering why he was so easy though - very predictable pattern plus inflicted very little damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Did your monk have claws on both hands. If so thats the default monk, it was him or you got a muppet of a player who was bad. some guys i've taken down in 20 seconds, others have taken me down in 10, mixed bag of what you get. I'd a 20 minute epic sword dual with 1 dude once, great battle.

Well I tend to always play online, so perhaps I was just lucky he wasn't possessed :pac: I was wondering why he was so easy though - very predictable pattern plus inflicted very little damage.

Maybe it depends on the servers the game connects to online. Have you got the US version? I have the Asian version and the people on there are crazy. I pretty much resigned myself to defeat whenever that dreaded note popped up to let me know a phantom had forced its way into my world. I'd usually try and run back to the nexus as quickly as possible to summon some blue phantoms to help me.

Another good way of knowing if a phantom is controlling The Old Monk is if you are forced to watch the cutscene as you ascend the spiral staircase. If you can skip it, then there's no one in your game, if you can't then be prepared to face a human player.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting - the cutscene was definitely unskippable (much to my annoyance after being caught out by the black phantoms on the stairs a few times). But the boss itself had a very predictable pattern (I could get in a flurry of hits everytime he hit my shield). Reading up on the Demon's Souls wiki, I must have had the offline one because he summoned little green energy balls towards the end of the battle. (On the US servers by the way).

How, out of curiosity, do you get summoned by the Old Monk? Do you just use the Black Eye Stone in the level itself?

• Advertisement

He'll summon the balls if he's the AI or another player regardless.

Drop the blackeye stone, i think you can be summoned from anywhere but anytime i got summoned i dropped the stone in the level itself just before the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Man, this sure sounds like a great game.

My cousin is coming back from new york on Saturday with a copy for me.:)

I doubt it is the deluxe version however:(, but oh well.

Could anyone recommend a good site for me to learn about the game?

There are a few out there. Many thanks

The DS gospel as far as i'm concerned. Read it after you play, otherwise there is a chance of migrains.

;) Cheers Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys

Does anyone know where to get the Deluxe version of this? Videogamesplus dont seem to have it in stock, least I cant find it there, only have the Standard version. :(

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Does anyone know where to get the Deluxe version of this? Videogamesplus dont seem to have it in stock, least I cant find it there, only have the Standard version. :(

Cheers.

Nope other than ebay I am afraid. Theres a few on there but are the best part of 100e - I reckon I will sell mine on (it cost 60e+) for a profit when I am done with it!

Its the exact same game with a small (not that easy to follow) guide and a cardboard case though - I wouldn't worry about it.

Just finished this today - woo!
    However, my excitement was soon quashed when I realised NG+ was so much harder. I wanted to merge my two swords (Soulforge plus the King Doran one) but had to get back to Blacksmith Ed (and please don't tell me I need to slay the dragon again!). I was promptly destroyed by a minister's fire spell.

Demon's Souls - the game that gives so much, then hits you over the head with a baseball bat and laughs manically as you cry.

Demon's Souls - the game that gives so much, then hits you over the head with a baseball bat and laughs manically as you cry.

:D Excellent Quote.

Hey guys, Merry Xmas.

I am back in with this and need some help.

First: You guys know that Atlus have made DS world tendencey completely white for Xmas? I was wondering what quests, extras etc people would recommend for this scenario.

I also need help with Flamelurker. Nearly had him there but he got too strong towards the end and I simply couldn't get a hit in to finish it. I have a moon spear for magical damage, for some reason enchanted weapon spell isn't working for me (guy just scrathes his head). I used all my herbs in that fight so whats a good place to get some more decent ones before I retry?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't help you with flamelurker because I'm **** and haven't gotten there yet but I find a run through 1-1 and 1-2 is great for picking up herbs.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't help you with flamelurker because I'm **** and haven't gotten there yet but I find a run through 1-1 and 1-2 is great for picking up herbs.

I have gone up a level or two and upgraded my spear. Also did a couple of things that you can only do with the White WT as it is.

IIRC it is only the worst herbs you get in 1-1? Need something more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well you get the odd decent one dropped every so often so by the time you do a full run through of 1-1 and 1-2 you should have a decent amount. I think there's a better chance of getting good herb drops in 2-1, but i could be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure Flamelurker was a 'stay away and hit the ****er with ranged weapons' kind of boss. The Soul Arrow (I think) spell is extremely handy for such fights, if you have it. Also Water Veil will help protect you against fire attacks, which is a particularly handy spell for this and (even more so) the boss after Flamelurker. 4-2 is always a good spot for Soul grinding if you really need more Soul Levels, especially in the early days. There is also a vendor there that sells very good herbs, and handily just a few steps away from the game's best grinding spot (i.e. Snipe the reaper ledge :))

If all else fails, co-op is always an extremely handy option, which I found out too late in the game alas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

With WWT it should be easy to get the Purple Flame Shield from in front of the red dragon in 1-1 (if you haven't already killed it in 1-2 that is). You should also have a Ring of Flame Resistance by the time you reach the Flamelurker, as you can find one near Patches. That should give you flame resistance reaching kick ass levels.

I just found out that although the Demon's Souls save is copy protected, you can transfer it with the new data transfer utility included in FW 3.15. So now I won't loose all my progress just because my old PS3 died. Let's just hope now I can get the thing repaired and working again for long enough to transfer my stuff! I hope I can make it in time for the WWT event that's going on now, I want to rescue Rydyell.

I should try out the WWT event, but my hour in New Game+ has already scared me :( I really want that weapon that was blocked off after defeating Dragon God (plus a couple of extra Colorless Souls for my better weapons), but the thoughts of fighting my way through the game (again) in extra hard mode to get there is one that requires more resolve than I have right now :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure Flamelurker was a 'stay away and hit the ****er with ranged weapons' kind of boss.

The trick with flamelurker for me was to always make sure you don't run out of stamina. A good point to remember is that your stamina does not recharge while you are blocking, so constantly holding block is a really bad thing.

I used the water veil and flame shield (upgraded a fair bit). You can block his attack, get in a few lunge attacks (I used the winged spear with the white sticky stuff buff). As soon as I noticed my stamina dropping below 25% I'd roll away and wait for my stamina to recharge, then repeat. Once you lose stamina you are defenceless and are open to attack

noodler wrote: »
    IIRC it is only the worst herbs you get in 1-1? Need something more.

Sorry only seeing this now. A good place to farm herbs is 4-2. Right at the start, just after the vendor, kill the guy in the room with a bow and arrow, this will usually net you ~5000 souls, the vendor sells really good herbs which you can buy. To quickly reload the level, don't bother with going back to the nexus via the archstone, just run back and jump off the cliff that is just after the archstone. Enter the level again, pick up your souls and repeat.

If you spend 10 minutes doing this you should be able to farm around 50,000 souls.

Also, this is only of use if you haven't already passed 4-3. This is by far the best place in the game to farm souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

noob here, this game sounds fkin fantastic, one of the few console games to spike my interest. So just to be clear videogamesplus.ca is the best place to order this from?

I'm not seeing it on there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    noob here, this game sounds fkin fantastic, one of the few console games to spike my interest. So just to be clear videogamesplus.ca is the best place to order this from?

Can be bought here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

I've just ordered it from these guys:

http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/730865001323

Cant vouch for them as I've never used them before and the game does appear to be out of stock but including shipping it only came to around €44 which is a bit cheaper than Videogamesplus.

I'll post up once I get the order anyway.

I think others have used this site too and its fine?

I'm pretty sure Flamelurker was a 'stay away and hit the ****er with ranged weapons' kind of boss. The Soul Arrow (I think) spell is extremely handy for such fights, if you have it. Also Water Veil will help protect you against fire attacks, which is a particularly handy spell for this and (even more so) the boss after Flamelurker. 4-2 is always a good spot for Soul grinding if you really need more Soul Levels, especially in the early days. There is also a vendor there that sells very good herbs, and handily just a few steps away from the game's best grinding spot (i.e. Snipe the reaper ledge :))

If all else fails, co-op is always an extremely handy option, which I found out too late in the game alas!

Cool.
    GothPunk wrote: »
    With WWT it should be easy to get the Purple Flame Shield from in front of the red dragon in 1-1 (if you haven't already killed it in 1-2 that is). You should also have a Ring of Flame Resistance by the time you reach the Flamelurker, as you can find one near Patches. That should give you flame resistance reaching kick ass levels.

I hope I can make it in time for the WWT event that's going on now, I want to rescue Rydyell.
    I rescued Rydell, some decent items to be collected as a key you get from him opens other cells.
    The trick with flamelurker for me was to always make sure you don't run out of stamina. A good point to remember is that your stamina does not recharge while you are blocking, so constantly holding block is a really bad thing.

I used the water veil and flame shield (upgraded a fair bit). You can block his attack, get in a few lunge attacks (I used the winged spear with the white sticky stuff buff). As soon as I noticed my stamina dropping below 25% I'd roll away and wait for my stamina to recharge, then repeat. Once you lose stamina you are defenceless and are open to attack

I think the Flame ring only works for his radius-flame bubble attack and not his actual punches. I am about 3 or 4 Soul levels away from being able to us the Purple Flame Shield I am afraid (Strength).

Best thing about PURE WHITE TENDENCY so far is at the very start of 1-1 you can access the yard at the left (the gate is open) which leads to the best equipment I currently have.
    Sorry only seeing this now. A good place to farm herbs is 4-2. Right at the start, just after the vendor, kill the guy in the room with a bow and arrow, this will usually net you ~5000 souls, the vendor sells really good herbs which you can buy. To quickly reload the level, don't bother with going back to the nexus via the archstone, just run back and jump off the cliff that is just after the archstone. Enter the level again, pick up your souls and repeat.

If you spend 10 minutes doing this you should be able to farm around 50,000 souls.

Also, this is only of use if you haven't already passed 4-3. This is by far the best place in the game to farm souls.

Cheers, beat 4-1 but haven't started 4-2 yet - will have a look.

noodler wrote: »

Cheers, beat 4-1 but haven't started 4-2 yet - will have a look.

The soul farming spot is just past the archstone, so you shouldn't have much bother. Just hit the reaper at the altar with arrows from the safety of upstairs, making sure to deal with any stealth phantoms to your right.

That place is a lifesaver - if you ever need herbs or spices, it is the place to go as you can get 10+ of each with very little effort.

Great stuff, used the spot in 4-2 for Souls and Herbs and just killed Flamelurker AND Leechmonger.

Flameflurker I tried with a summoned ally but he died very early so the nest time I managed it by myself. He is a tough SOB when he gets to half health, Soul Arrow defo helped get in the odd shot when he backs off every now and again. Moon Spear did the rest - I think it hurts him more if you get him in the back.

Leechmonger - well I just went for him and herb spamming because of the recharging health. No problem. Was using some sort of Dragon sword that uses a frie spell on the enemy with each hit so that naturally helped.

So thats, 1-1, 1-2
    2-1, 2-2
    3-1,
    4-1,
    5-1

Where to next people? I guess I still haven't killed a Archdemon.

The archdemon in world 2 is only a few steps away from the Flamelurker archstone, and is one of the easiest of the lot - once you learn his pattern you're away. World 3-2 isn't the worst, fairly handy. 4-2 is tricky because there are some strong enemies, but take your time and you should be fine (a good bow helps a lot). 5-2 isn't necessarily hard, but it is extremely annoying (by far my least favourite of the lot). You are probably past the hardest bits now tbh, the game does get a bit easier towards the archdemon levels and there are plenty of good weapons and upgrade opportunities around (make sure to utilise the crystal geckos in 2-2 if you haven't already).

• Advertisement

The archdemon in world 2 is only a few steps away from the Flamelurker archstone, and is one of the easiest of the lot - once you learn his pattern you're away. World 3-2 isn't the worst, fairly handy. 4-2 is tricky because there are some strong enemies, but take your time and you should be fine (a good bow helps a lot). 5-2 isn't necessarily hard, but it is extremely annoying (by far my least favourite of the lot). You are probably past the hardest bits now tbh, the game does get a bit easier towards the archdemon levels and there are plenty of good weapons and upgrade opportunities around (make sure to utilise the crystal geckos in 2-2 if you haven't already).

Lost around 3 soul levels last night invading other worlds and dieing by falling off things.

Grr.

Advertisement