Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've been banging my head off a brick wall with this game for two days. Whenever I stop to do something else, I miss banging my head off a brick wall with this game.

I started as a Thief and so far made two glaring errors. Eating the first Demon Soul (yum, yum) and also accidentally slashing (and then no so accidentally finishing off )
    the VENDOR in the tunnel, past the hounds in the second part of the first level (Phallanx something).
    There is an incredible amount I still don't fully understand about this game, but it's still amazing. The great combat makes it not so mind-numbing to to a level for the 70,000th time.

It would be cool if someone could clear these few things up, if they have time (I'm fairly early on so there's not too much given away):
    That Vendor, was he very important? He seems to be gone from the tower in the first level too.

Where is a good place to buy spells early on? I have the wooden catalyst, but nothing to cast

When do I get to bash the King on this first level? He's too strong for me right now?

Any other tips for playing early on ( Soul LVL 12) would also be greatly appreciated. No spoilers, obviously. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Still waiting on delivery of this from Axel music. To be fair, its nothing to do with them as unfortunately An Post have decided not to deliver in my area since before the new year....

Can barely contain my anticipation for this though! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've been banging my head off a brick wall with this game for two days. Whenever I stop to do something else, I miss banging my head off a brick wall with this game.

I started as a Thief and so far made two glaring errors. Eating the first Demon Soul (yum, yum) and also accidentally slashing (and then no so accidentally finishing off )
    the VENDOR in the tunnel, past the hounds in the second part of the first level (Phallanx something).
    There is an incredible amount I still don't fully understand about this game, but it's still amazing. The great combat makes it not so mind-numbing to to a level for the 70,000th time.

It would be cool if someone could clear these few things up, if they have time (I'm fairly early on so there's not too much given away):
    That Vendor, was he very important? He seems to be gone from the tower in the first level too.

Where is a good place to buy spells early on? I have the wooden catalyst, but nothing to cast

When do I get to bash the King on this first level? He's too strong for me right now?

Any other tips for playing early on ( Soul LVL 12) would also be greatly appreciated. No spoilers, obviously. Thanks.

Unfortunately your vendor is dead! I don't think he is a particularly useful one, but he is gone for good (unless you restart). Don't attack NPCs, this will only cause you trouble. The vast majority of them are useful, so let them be. Some have special items etc... but probably best to wait til you're much more advanced if you want to go down that path.
    As for The King, wait for another twenty or thirty hours! You don't get the key until the last stage of world one (unless you feel like letting a valuable NPC die!) and that is a good thing, as you won't be able to do any significant damage until then.

For spells, your best bet is world 3 (Prison of Latria I think). There is a spell caster you free there who'll give you access to some powerful stuff in return for Demon's Souls. Until then, you'll have to just use the magician behind the pillars on the right hand side of the Nexus (if you're facing the blacksmith and storage guy). Pick up some fire spells - very handy!

As for tips, just work your way through the first segments of each world. The beginning is probably the hardest part of the game. When you get some good spells / ranged weapons, world 4 is your best friends for souls and levelling up!

Much appreciated. World 3 it is.

I totally did not hit that dude on purpose, hah, he's very close to some bad dudes and looks just like one. I get tetchy in there. Followed me out and wouldn't let it go. HE WOULDN'T LET IT LYE, MAN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's one thing I really hate in this game and it's getting dropped from the servers for standing around too long. My mother doesn't shut up so this happens a lot and then when I start again all the traps are reset. on 4-1 the arrow trap reset and when I went back over it I got arrowedin the ass and died. Today on 2-2 I got kicked and when I spawned back in it was beside an exploding minecart that had reset to the original position and killedme before I could move :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I haven't a clue what anyone is talking about :) I want this gaaaaame. Gna order it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

ordered mine there the other day cant wait to have a go of it! an post are back working today(at least in my area) so hopefully im not waitin to long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'm heading to san fran in February. I think it'd be rude if i didn't buy this game :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm getting my ass kicked here. Which do you recommend to tackle next: 1-3, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2 or 5-2.

Wasdoing well in 2-2 but I've not enough magic to kill those pillbug things.

Finally managed to pick up my copy today. Went to my local sorting office and got the post which hadn't been delivered since before new years.... Happily my copy of Demon's Souls was among the post. I cant be certain how long it took to get here from Axel but I felt like they were very efficient with sending and would recommend them. I'm definitely going to order from them again anyway. Plus they have a pretty descriptive tracking system which is reassuring.

Anyway, the game is f*cking amazing, so far, I've managed to clear 1-1 and 2-1. Whats the gig with the bit of level after you kill the boss? I almost got killed by the exploding mine cart after the spider boss? Whats it about, is that the next level or something?

I'm playing a royal and so far its been quite good actually, it can feel a little cheap using the magic all the time, but after getting my ass handed to me a few times meleeing I think its for the best. Is there a nice set of light armour I can get soon or in an easy level, I'm sick of looking at the "ragged" stuff already.... Also, is there a nice shield to get?

Its the whole atmosphere of the game that gets me I think, plus the music is just perfect, the Nexus one especially, its so soothing or something. Terrific game so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm getting my ass kicked here. Which do you recommend to tackle next: 1-3, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2 or 5-2.

Out of all of those I have only done 2-2.

It is a relatively easy level but it gets a little maze like at the end.

Flamelurker awaits at the end - defo one of the tougher bosses I have fought. I'll gladly help via co-op if it gets to it.

There is a shortcut at the start of 2-2 but I am not going to tell you where since you really should go through it once. I believe you come across a merchant in 2-2 who will go back to the Nexus after you find him and from there will sell you heavy arrows which are kewl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Can you not bring Blue phantoms into your game to help you out? Also, are you killing the crystal geckos? You need to kill them to get stones for upgrading your weapons.

I'd recommend doing a bit of farming at the start of 4-2 just to level a bit and stock up on herbs and then complete 2, it was by far the easiest area to complete for me and the boss is relatively simple once you work out his pattern.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I just need to level up a bit. I've a feeling my equipment is **** and needs a boost. Unfortunately you can't help me noodler since I'm on the asian servers. I haven't had much success summoning blue phantoms. I'm going to check my router settings since I think something is up with them.

Got my third Demon tonight. So far, the handier ones, I'm sure 1-1, 1-2, 3-1.

I love this game so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

Well, I bought a 500gig drive for my ps3 as the 80gig was full, went to do a backup and told me to format, I did, it wiped ALL my gamesaves fromm the hard disk, when it said you need to format, I assumed they meant the new drive, jesus. Lost a lot I care about, but most importantly I lost my Demon's Souls save. I wasnt a hugh way into the game but what I had acheived took me 80+ hrs of gameplay and had a lot of frustrating moments.

If only the game save had not been locked, I would have had it saved to a usb key, like I did with a few others, but they were not really important.

I don't know if I could go back and play it all again, this would prevent you from playing ever again considering the frustrating nature of this game and the time it takes to get places initially...

rant over

C|F

Sorted my router issues out. Couldn't find anyone to co-op with while alivebut had a good few games co-oping with other people in 5-2. I'm abit crap, everyone else is running around with meat cleavers and other fancy weapons but I helped out with magice attacs on the boss. Eventually got to flamelurker and killed him, then got to him solo and got my ass kicked. Second time I was luckier I got to flamelurker got my souls back and killed him and came away with 35k+ souls, nice :) I'm offering myself up for co-op all the time now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have way too many games left to finish and not enough time to play even 1 of them at the moment...but I soo want Demon souls.

If you had but one game to play...is this it for an RPG fan? I am trying to convince myself that I must have this game....

I'll put it this way. F"ck Uncharted 2. This is the game of the year. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Uncharted is great fun but theres practically no strategy and you only really die from baddie spamming.

It it weren't for its production values then it wouldn't be much (that said I mean the main bad guy in the game, avoids falling under stereotypical cliche with some outstanding voice acting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I still haven't played it. Dying to though, seeing as GameSpot gave it GOTY, it's been getting raving reviews and it's sold out everywhere in Asia (apparantly). Those are pretty good reasons to assume a games good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'm offering myself up for co-op all the time now :)

4-2 is my favourite for dropping blue stones. Its by far the most profitable soulswise. Also a good place to summon, one of the most popular lvels for summoning, that being said it has a high invade rate too. I'd advise trying 3-2 and getting the ring of avarice there, increases soul rate by 20%. As for the 4-2 boss as elmer fudd said "be wery wery quiet".

I'm trying to get through 3-2 now. I got to the boss no bother. I've killed him a good few times as a blue phantom but can't kill him myself. To make matters worse I can't seem to get a blue phantom to help me. Keep getting a summon failed message or summoned by another player :/ I may just have to level up a bit in 4-2.

On another note I'm absolutely loving getting
    summoned as the old monk boss. Had some absolutely epic fights, killed a few dumb asses that didn't know how to play and been murdered a few times with one hit from a meat cleaver user that was way out of my league.

4-2 boss is handy enough, if you used ranged magic(magic boosters help) or a bow, just make sure you have thiefs ring and don't run, also when equpment is less than 50% of weight, it means more maneuverability and less noise. Possible to melee him as well but its alot of walking up behind hacking and then running off and hiding when he figures out where you are. Firestorm will knock him out in 2 hits, very easy to sneak up on, walk don't jog.

Also i'd seriously consider fiinishing off world 2, there's little or no fighting, there is a very good chance you'll get creamed. but the soul return is pretty good and you can get 2 very good spells\miracles from the demon soul. PS don't forget to drop the flamelurkers soul to ed.
    totally agree. Had some epic battles, wiped out 2 phantoms and the player in 6 seconds once with firestorm(was pissed at it being done constantly to me) and a finishing backstab. Had the opposite with a 20 minute kijii vs uchitana battle. BTW you have'nt got it yet, but rage of god can actually penetrate the walls while the player is preparing to enter

I think that would be a bit mean. I know I wouldn't like that being done to me! I just hope when it's my turn that I don't just keep coming across assholes and people way over powered than me and actually have a good fight. Love getting back stabs on people rolling away desperately trying to heal :) First time I won though was a big anticlimax. The mindflayer outside the door killed the player for me.

To the couple of guys deliberating over whether to pick this up, trust me, you should. I was in exactly the same position to be honest, I only picked up a PS3 over christmas, purely for this game as I had followed this thread for a couple of months. I finally got the game then on friday and I've barely done anything else since. All I can really add to whats already been said is that it really is actually as good as everyone says. Its not one thing, its just the whole experience. One thing I noticed was that each stat improvement that you chose actually felt important and its a tear to decide which to do. I started off concentrating on 3 (intelligence, strength and magic) but I'm already thinking of how and when I can put points into things I didn't think I'd ever use (like plenty of other rpg's).

Anyway, enough of that, I've a couple of questions for the experts:

Does anyone else have a "problem" where the first time they do a level there is loads of messages / blood stains etc but then on subsequent plays (like re-doing it after dying....) there doesn't seem to be many / any. Checked the connection etc and its not dropping, I usually see white phantoms though still. Strange.

Is there a simple explanation why sometimes I'm doing more damage than others, world tendency or something? But I've not done anything to change it I dont think.

Where should I go next? Done 1-1,1-2,2-1,2-2,3-1 so far. I thought Flamelurker was the biggest pain of a boss so far. I kinda only half done 2-2 though cos I went the way of dropping down the shaft and have never gone the other way, should I do that first? Also, should I try to kill the red dragon, didn't bother with him yet?

Its so nice being able to handle those red-eye knights, thats where I usually go to farm souls, 1-1. Anywhere better yet? I'm about sould level 37 at the moment, should I be higher?

I'm soul level 40 and way ahead of you so you are doing alright.

I've had that problem as well, after an hour or two of play on the asian version the messages and blood stains disappear as do the white phantoms. I usually have to exit the game which sorts it out.

You do less damage when in body form than soul form. It might be the reason in the difference in damage.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Where should I go next? Done 1-1,1-2,2-1,2-2,3-1 so far. I thought Flamelurker was the biggest pain of a boss so far. I kinda only half done 2-2 though cos I went the way of dropping down the shaft and have never gone the other way, should I do that first? Also, should I try to kill the red dragon, didn't bother with him yet?

Its so nice being able to handle those red-eye knights, thats where I usually go to farm souls, 1-1. Anywhere better yet? I'm about sould level 37 at the moment, should I be higher?

Definately, finish off world 2. You pretty much go straight into the demon fight. Be warned as i said to retro there's a very very very good chance you'll creamed. I'm on my 12th or so playtrough and he still gets me most times. Hard to describe without giving it away but once you figure it out, its one of the easier boss fights, would'nt even call it a fight. Finishing world 2(any world) will unlock the fog the tower knight gate, don't do 1-3 yet, its a long and tough level altho its great for summoning and again a pain in the ass for being invaded.

The other way in 2-2 has alot of ore and crystal geckos, so make some room. Its your only source for dragon and grey stones(very heavy). Fist minors(no pickaxe) there randomly drop chunks and shards of spiderstone which builds the best bow in the game. be warned Bear bugs can be tricky if you have little magic or no magically imbued weapons(crescent or moon based). Plus you'll to meet to patches there, he sells heavy arrows, best arrow that you can buy repeatedly.

For soul farming, nowhere is better than world 4, 4-1 can be tricky and has a good soul return but 4-2 and 4-3 are where the souls are. You can get 100K+ souls running from 4-3 to 4-2. Be warned though it is tricky, best of placing a blue stone first and follow someone to get the feel of the level.

As for the damage, retro hit the nail on the head, there had to some drawback about being alive and thats it less damage, world tendency will also affect it, its easier to put down something in white than in black, however the soul return is lower in white. One more thing that the damage thing could, certain enemies are resistant to certain damage, for example miners have high slash resistance(swords/axes) but low jabbing\stabbing resistance(spears, knifes). don't what i did for ages decided certain swords were crap because i got my new weapon of ed, i'd run over to the minors to try it out on them and be utterly dissapointed.

Thanks guys.

Am going to go for world 2 then next. Think I'll try and clear out 2-2 the other way now and collect as much of the stones etc as I can.

So far, I've upgraded the winged spear to +6, the purple shield to +2 and bought the second soul light (soul arrow or whatever its called) spell with the Fools Idol demon soul. I still have 4 demon souls to use and have no idea what to get with them yet. Any help with what to spend them on?

My basic tactics are run around blasting all the enemies with soul light if possible, or if there's loads of them then whip out the spear and jab them.

I really want some nice armour as had to resort to wearing part of the wizards gear cos I was weighing over half my equipment weight after getting the purple shield.

Is that spell soul thirst worth it? It looks great!

USe the moonstones from world 3 to upgrade the winged to a moon winged spear(best spear in the game, with flame shield its great blocks almost everything and has a long reach to jab and good damge too). For every point you add to your magic stat,it willmove the damage up. Do not upgrade beyond winged spear +6, once you do that you can't change it too moon. bring the spear to ed in world 2, he's far better than the guy in the nexus. Purple shield is handy but too bloody heavy for my liking, once you get the dark silver shield you'll never look back. It's worth holding onto cloudstones from world 4 for the flame shield as you can upgrade to a dark purple shiled which has a good magic resistance.

This site is gosplel when it comes to demons souls. The linked page tells you what each soul does. If your going magic you'll want to use the dragon gods soul for firestorm by far the strongest spell there. If you can hit it, it takes out most bosses in 1 to 2 hits. Most of the souls can have a few different uses.

Also if magic wear the magical ring of sharpness and have the kris knife in your shield hand and catalyst in the other, these 2 boost your magical damage. Kris knife can be upgraded with colorless demons souls(increasing yor magical damage).

Armour its better to dodge than take a hit, trust me you'll find that out in new game+. Old king dorans armour is best, its lightweight and has decent damage resistance.

Thirst is alright, you'll have a few choices with the yellow demons soul, thirst, moving soul arrow or the insanity catalyst. I akways go with moving soul arrow, makes the flamelurker fight so easy it's ridiculous. Basically a ring of soul arrow surround you, up to 6 depending on your magic stat. they won't fire straight away but once they look on they go for that target or multiple targets. great against AI, easy to dodge yourself. Thirst is alrite, it basically ads 50% to souls gained for x amount of time, it can stacked with the ring of avarice from 3-2 and the silver bracelet. Takes 200 mp to use it once.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the advice guys. I had a look at that Wiki site and its great, loads of useful information there. However, I'm still a little uncertain of something.

How and when can you summon people?

I went against your better advice last night and decided to go for world 3-2 and surprised myself by making it all the way to the end (great level I thought) but then Maneater proceeded to royally violate me for a couple of hours, just couldn't get him. Then of course I rolled off the ledge in 1-1 while on a herb dash and lost about 30k souls, I nearly cried but anyway....

However, late on I got an idea to try and summon someone to help me but I couldn't do it. I had a blue stone in my inventory and it wouldn't let me deploy it anywhere either in normal or soul form. Do I have to find someone else's blue stone to summon them or something?

Advertisement