Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Haha!! Just been offered a copy of this (Hong Kong version) for €20. SOLD!

Will buy the euro version then when it comes out here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Hey guys

I have an american version of this game for swap on adverts if anybody is interested

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=216516

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

ya get all this which is cheaper to buy then the blue version which is weird
    contents.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On the plus side, everyone who buys the Euro release gets fancy new stuff like soundtracks and guides written by the dudes who run the Demon Souls wiki (anyone who has just started playing should bookmark that almost compulsory website). Let's just hope people get on the Euro servers and start working quickly - the game really is based around it's almost anonymous community.

Very true, I found the guide that came with the Deluxe US version to be very poorly laid out indeed. A real chore to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

noodler wrote: »
    Very true, I found the guide that came with the Deluxe US version to be very poorly laid out indeed. A real chore to read.

ssshhh, i'll be selling myUS special ed soon. It's not greatly liad out, but handy when you could'nt be bothered turning on the pc and looking up the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Back here again.
    I picked this up a couple of months ago couldn't beat the second boss and left it. Until now. Lovin it again, second boss wasn't as hard as i thought. My question is in regards to weaponary and specifically the Long sword. I've been using this pretty much without difficulty, I'm on sword level 5 with it and had planned on maxing it out. Does anyone know is this generally considered a sh*t weapon and am i going to find things very tough with this weapon in future levels. Oh and I'm playing as the Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So I started this as a thief and now on the first boss I think that might have been a mistake :(

Any tips for beating the
    Phalanx
    as a thief?

I know it's weak to
    fire
    but I have no current inventory to help there.

Is it a case of having to track back to the merchant and buying enough
    firebombs
    to see this through.

Ranged weapons are an option too but I find them poor against that boss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Vegeta wrote: »
    So I started this as a thief and now on the first boss I think that might have been a mistake :(

Any tips for beating the
    Phalanx
    as a thief?

I know it's weak to
    fire
    but I have no current inventory to help there.

Is it a case of having to track back to the merchant and buying enough
    firebombs
    to see this through.

Ranged weapons are an option too but I find them poor against that boss

Fire is the best way to beat him like you say. Either with fire bombs or putting turpentine on your sword. Having said that, you can kill him by just striking him with your weapon, it just takes a bit longer.

smooch71 wrote: »
    Fire is the best way to beat him like you say. Either with fire bombs or putting turpentine on your sword. Having said that, you can kill him by just striking him with your weapon, it just takes a bit longer.

Will give it a few more goes 2 handed before I go farming for souls to buy firebombs

Thief starts with a dagger you see, not the strongest of attackers but man she is quick to roll and get out of trouble

Will give it a few more goes 2 handed before I go farming for souls to buy firebombs

Thief starts with a dagger you see, not the strongest of attackers but man she is quick to roll and get out of trouble

Try and buy some turpentine, it's more effective than the fire bombs I think. And ignore the hoplites (I think!) that fall off him. Just go after the Phalynx himself.

• Advertisement

Anyone got an answer for my question:)^

Try and buy some turpentine, it's more effective than the fire bombs I think. And ignore the hoplites (I think!) that fall off him. Just go after the Phalynx himself.

Will try that tonight and see how I get on. Not sure I can buy turpintine this early in the game. It's farming for me then tonight

Other than that I might pussy out and restart as a Royal :(

weiland79 wrote: »

Sorry dude I don't have enough experience with the game to really make a comment either way on it

Sorry, didn't see you there!

I used the long sword for a while and thought it was fine. When I found the bastard sword I switched to it but to be fair I don't think there's any really crap weapons in the game.

They can all be upgraded and more powers added etc and as you upgrade your strength, agility etc increases so you'll become more efficient with it.

Don't know if you've found the winged spear yet. It's on the bridge where you first meet the dragon. It's worth getting killed for and try to upgrade it when you can too.

Find the blacksmith in level 2-1 and he can do some serious stuff with your weapons if you have demon souls to give him. So don't consume them!

If you're happy with the long sword keep with it. You should find some better weapons later in the game anyway so I wouldn't be worried.

Back here again.
    I picked this up a couple of months ago couldn't beat the second boss and left it. Until now. Lovin it again, second boss wasn't as hard as i thought. My question is in regards to weaponary and specifically the Long sword. I've been using this pretty much without difficulty, I'm on sword level 5 with it and had planned on maxing it out. Does anyone know is this generally considered a sh*t weapon and am i going to find things very tough with this weapon in future levels. Oh and I'm playing as the Knight.

Depends on your playing style, what you upgrade it with and your build\stats. Its base damage is alright(see stats page below for what upgrades do to it). Its also not the quickest weapon, kijii(found in level 4-1) does more damage and is ridiculously quick. Personally if you're going with a knight with armour and a big ass shield, i'd go with the winged spear, upgrade the crap out of it, block and poke(very effective against miners in wold 2).

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/long-sword

Oh and Veggie there hould be a scimitar near where you bumped\saved into the gold knight dude. Throw turpentine on that, clear a path first then hack into him, he does heal himself so don't stop hacking for too long, also as a thief your luck should decent enough so the enemies should drop firebombs every now and then.

Oh and Veggie there hould be a scimitar near where you bumped\saved into the gold knight dude. Throw turpentine on that, clear a path first then hack into him, he does heal himself so don't stop hacking for too long, also as a thief your luck should decent enough so the enemies should drop firebombs every now and then.

Awesome I had the scimitar but was using the dagger and buckler

Will swop to 2 handed scimitar (hopefully I'll be strong enough to hold it) and go on the hunt for some turpentine.

Yeah the starting luck of the Thief is great. I have tons of moon grass so I could easily last a fight but I was simply not damaging the thing so wasn't wasting them

Scimitar is fairly light and the thiefs armour si light too so you should have no problems with it and rolling. It'll still be a tough fight as they love to throw spears into your back. did it with a wanderer with no problems, build is imilar to thiefs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bad idea I think. You are better off hiding behind the pillars and stepping otu to take out the stragglers. Weed them down. You'll have a much easier time if you kill them all this way. Also keep your shield up! I killed him without fire the first time because I wasted it all and died beforehand.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bad idea I think. You are better off hiding behind the pillars and stepping otu to take out the stragglers. Weed them down. You'll have a much easier time if you kill them all this way. Also keep your shield up! I killed him without fire the first time because I wasted it all and died beforehand.

He can respawn the minions though cant he?

I have been avoiding killing them in fairness as I thought it was futile as he'd just make more and more.

Will try anything to get past him though

Problem is I'm not a very skilled gamer :(

Yep he regenerates them and when he does he regenerates health. It is possible to draw the minions off him to chase you and double back to the phalanx's exposed side. If there was no pillars it would be a much tougher fight.

• Advertisement

Just watched a video of a guy doing it there on youtube

Now he had turpentine and was a knight but I think the key thing is not locking on.

I always lock on and was struggling to even kill the minions because I was always facing them square on. It's much easier to get around their back when you don't lock on

Think I can take him after watching that

Great game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He can respawn the minions though cant he?

I have been avoiding killing them in fairness as I thought it was futile as he'd just make more and more.

No he can't regenerate them. Just keep killing them and he eventually runs out of minions. I've done this on 3 run throughs of the game, gamefaqs backs me up and helped my friend past the boss using this tactic. Once the minions start thinning out it gets very easy and when they are all gone he is completely defenceless and can't attack. Just kill all the minions (you'll get a good amount of souls as well) and attack the defenseless form. Also don't lock on to the minions, it's easier to get them in the back then which does more damage.

Yeah the guy on youtube did exactly that and made it look embarrassingly easy :o

I was convinced I read on the wiki yesterday that they respawn
    Phalanx itself has no real form of attack, relying on its coating of Phalangeals to attack you with spear throws and stabs (at close range). However, it can move, albeit slowly, to back the player into a corner, and release it's Phalangeals voluntarily in an attempted flanking maneuver. Phalanx has exactly 35 Phalangeals upon spawning, but can regenerate them when they die as well as create more to exceed the original count.

Obviously they spawn too slowly to be an issue

Will try again tonight with a 2 handed stronger weapon and see how I go

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I lost souls... about 3000 of them, for the first time this morning... Not a pleasant experience :(

I lost souls... about 3000 of them, for the first time this morning... Not a pleasant experience :(

Get used to it!

I love this paltry 3000 souls stories. Try 550,000, admittedly it was only 1 and a bit soul levels but it still hurt.

Yeah I beat the first boss and it was embarrassingly easy once I didn't lock on to them :o

Used the scimitar 2 handed and did it on the first go with no turpentine or anything.

Much easier than my first 2 attempts at just going for the blob and being cut down by the minions.

I love this paltry 3000 souls stories. Try 550,000, admittedly it was only 1 and a bit soul levels but it still hurt.

Oh god 550,000 souls :eek:

This game is clearly bigger than I can grasp right now

Level 4-2 with silver bracelets and ring of avarice = 150-250K souls.

• Advertisement

Level 4-2 with silver bracelets and ring of avarice = 150-250K souls.

I had read 4-2 was good for farming alright but as I have only completed 1-1 and went for a stroll in a few of the other levels. I haven't even considered trying to open it up as I assume I'll get butchered

Advertisement