Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

Is there any chance at all of this getting a PC port, I wonder? It was the gateway for many to the Souls franchise.

you can emulate this on pc these days if you really wanted to. buy an old ps3 copy of course to be legal. can play in 2k, 4k even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zy629RGhQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Is there any chance at all of this getting a PC port, I wonder? It was the gateway for many to the Souls franchise.
    It's a Sony property so unlikely.

glasso wrote: »
    you can emulate this on pc these days if you really wanted to. buy an old ps3 copy of course to be legal. can play in 2k, 4k even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zy629RGhQ

need a fairly high spec i7 or high-end ryzen cpu though (emulation is primarily cpu-based for the compute, gpu for resolution) and this particular emulator benefits from hyperthreading which an i5 can't do.
    probably the cheapest option is to buy a cheap ps3 for this game and other exclusives like the last of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Reading back at the start of this thread, it's weird seeing retro praising a game so much *joke*

Jokes aside, not sure if folks are aware there is a private server for this so jolly cooperation and invasions are still possible. I'm trying to do a Pure Black World Tendency run. Last game I played most worlds were white or neutral so I missed out on a good bit of content as certain events and NPC's only occurred during PBWT.

Honestly don't think the atmosphere of Demon's Souls has ever been captured again in the next 4 games.

Melee'd Flamelurker yesterday. Used Purple Flame Shield and Ring of Fire Resistance. Took a lot of HP off him first time. Second time applied sticky white stuff to mace and down he went. Did similar with Armored spider. Beat both of these by keeping distance and firing Soul arrows before. Game is much more satisfying doing melee. Did use a bow on red dragon in 1-2 (it's the only way to kill it as far as I'm aware) and probably will use a bow in 5-2 as I hate that level.

After taking down Flamelurker I went on to do Dragon God who I died to at least 10 times. Embarrassing as he's one of the easiest according to most. Problem was I kept just running through (worked before) instead of hiding behind pillars and angling the camera to look up at him then running at the right time.

Playing offline, wary about connecting to a private server. I'm sure it'll be grand and I'm just being over cautious. If anyone is considering playing and wants the "full experience" details of private server are on reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Any tips on good early items to pick up? Even though i know souls arrow makes it easier, i found them awful boring when i originally played this. Going for a sword and board Knight type, hoping to find some early strong equipment even if it means a one way sprint to get it.

There's a +1 magic falchion in world 4-1 you can sprint to get without fighting much it's a good early weapon.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Any tips on good early items to pick up? Even though i know souls arrow makes it easier, i found them awful boring when i originally played this. Going for a sword and board Knight type, hoping to find some early strong equipment even if it means a one way sprint to get it.

Purple flame shield is handy for a certain boss.

It's in 1-2 I think. May need world tendency set a certain way. White I think.

I was looking up the private server and gonna leave it off so doubt I'll ever get pure white or pure black.

Played through 1-1, killed most enemies and the boss without dying once. Way different than my last playthrough :). Gonna do 4-1 next for crescent falchion and will just lash at it then. Absolutely loving it though, aged really well.

My goal is to clear it asap and pick up Sekiro so i can give that a good go before resident evil and FF7 in April.

Edit: checking stock of Sekiro in Limerick, only 2nd hand copies available in Gamestop for 62 or cex for 52, Bollox.

Is Sekiro seen as soulsborne?

If you play offline pure white/black is easy to get.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    If you play offline pure white/black is easy to get.

It's very easy to go from pure white to pure black. More difficult the other way AFAIK.

No zero, Sekiro isn't Soulsborne. Similar world building but the combat is on another level entirely. No smyths or argos near you? Though think it still 60 in those.

It's very easy to go from pure white to pure black. More difficult the other way AFAIK.

No zero, Sekiro isn't Soulsborne. Similar world building but the combat is on another level entirely. No smyths or argos near you? Though think it still 60 in those.

Both out of stock in Limerick unfortunately.

****ing spider!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

****ing spider!

Handy boss once you close the gap. Prepare for way worse :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Just had 1 go off him, got him down to half health handy enough, survived his crazy fire burst and then he seemed to just shriek or something and I just died, not sure what even happened. Even with the shortcut, the thought of trekking back to him is annoying me. I read Sekiro has spawn points close to the boss, would prefer harder bosses with closer spawn points than the other way around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just had 1 go off him, got him down to half health handy enough, survived his crazy fire burst and then he seemed to just shriek or something and I just died, not sure what even happened. Even with the shortcut, the thought of trekking back to him is annoying me. I read Sekiro has spawn points close to the boss, would prefer harder bosses with closer spawn points than the other way around.

Git gud scrub :D

xUkQClw.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Is Sekiro seen as soulsborne?

Sekiro certainly shares some key features with the soulsborne games, but I don't think many would consider it a soulsborne game.

Narrative (story is delivered a lot more directly in Sekiro), combat, character progression, even the moment to moment gameplay are all entirely different. Sekiro places a heavy focus on stealth and when you are engaged in combat, it is almost entirely based on parrying and countering grabs etc. to the point that it begins to resemble a rhythm game more than anything. Combat isn't about dodging and looking for an opening to damage an enemy, it's about parrying enemies relentless attacks until you fill a meter up enough (posture) to the point where you can land what is called a killing blow.

It is a completely different beast, and one I found considerably more difficult compared to the soulsborne games. I have completed each game from Demons Souls onward multiple times, solo, no need to summon, and I actually found my familiarity and competence at soulsborne games more of a hindrance than a help due to the pure fact that skills in those games just do not translate to Sekiro at all.

3-2 flashbacks. *Shudders*

goon_magee wrote: »
    Sekiro certainly shares some key features with the soulsborne games, but I don't think many would consider it a soulsborne game.

Narrative (story is delivered a lot more directly in Sekiro), combat, character progression, even the moment to moment gameplay are all entirely different. Sekiro places a heavy focus on stealth and when you are engaged in combat, it is almost entirely based on parrying and countering grabs etc. to the point that it begins to resemble a rhythm game more than anything. Combat isn't about dodging and looking for an opening to damage an enemy, it's about parrying enemies relentless attacks until you fill a meter up enough (posture) to the point where you can land what is called a killing blow.

It is a completely different beast, and one I found considerably more difficult compared to the soulsborne games. I have completed each game from Demons Souls onward multiple times, solo, no need to summon, and I actually found my familiarity and competence at soulsborne games more of a hindrance than a help due to the pure fact that skills in those games just do not translate to Sekiro at all.

Had to laugh at the old Souls "veterans" crying about Sekiros difficulty on reddit and Gamefaqs for the month or so after release.

I'm probably the least skilled gamer there is and have seen all but one ending. If I can beat it anybody can.

• Advertisement

Had to laugh at the old Souls "veterans" crying about Sekiros difficulty on reddit and Gamefaqs for the month or so after release.

I'm probably the least skilled gamer there is and have seen all but one ending. If I can beat it anybody can.

Not crying at all here, and if that is how my post came across, it wasn't intended. I too found the crying and complaining ridiculous, and when cries for an easier difficulty started to appear, I came down firmly on the side with the view that difficulty options in these games have no place in these games; the challenge they present is the game for me.

I was simply communicating my experience. After years of playing soulsborne games a very specific way, I had so much muscle memory built up due to the playstyle I usually adopt in Fromsoft's games, that I found it difficult to drop the mindset that I usually approach their games with. It took a lot of readjusting, which led to me finding it to be the most difficult of their catalogue to date.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Not crying at all here, and if that is how my post came across, it wasn't intended. I too found the crying and complaining ridiculous, and when cries for an easier difficulty started to appear, I came down firmly on the side with the view that difficulty options in these games have no place in these games; the challenge they present is the game for me.

I was simply communicating my experience. After years of playing soulsborne games a very specific way, I had so much muscle memory built up due to the playstyle I usually adopt in Fromsoft's games, that I found it difficult to drop the mindset that I usually approach their games with. It took a lot of readjusting, which led to me finding it to be the most difficult of their catalogue to date.

Oh sorry goon, wasn't referring to you in that post. Was a general observation from posts on reddit and Gamefaqs and Steam last March /April. Apologies. I was the same with muscle memory. It took a lot of reconditioning to get the hang of Sekiro.

Ah no you're grand, no need to apologise!

I thought that was the case, but wanted to be sure I wasn't coming across as a moaner!

Beat Spider on my second go while shouting "**** you Retro, i am gud" :pac:

Best Spider on my second go while shouting "**** you Retro, i am gud" :pac:

Well done. The real Demon's Souls starts here ;)

Well done. The real Demon's Souls starts here ;)

Tower of latria is already a pain in my hole :( As a melee strength build, would ye recommend completing 4-1 or 5-1 first? A shield with high magic defense would be handy.

Tower of latria is already a pain in my hole :( As a melee strength build, would ye recommend completing 4-1 or 5-1 first? A shield with high magic defense would be handy.

4-1 is, in my opinion, the more difficult of the first levels in each world. Those skeletons tore me apart. 5-1 is easier I think though the rats are annoying and hard to hit. I did the levels in order (1-1,2-1 3-1,4-1 then 1-2, 2-2 etc). Seemed most logical to me.

Did you meet second blacksmith in 2-1? He can do decent upgrades after you beat a certain boss and give him his soul.

I don't think you can get a decent magic defense shield until much later in the game. There is only one 100% magic defense shield in the game AFAIK.

You should have the thief ring by now? Use that for sneaking up on the mindflayers in Latria. It's quite an OP ring.

Have to say, Tower of Latria is probably my favourite level in all the From games. So unsettling with the singing and bells ringing.

Good stuff, thanks man. Will throw on the thief's ring, used it for a while but didn't notice being able to sneak up on anyone. Never came across the blacksmith, must look him up.

Beat Spider on my second go while shouting "**** you Retro, i am gud" :pac:

0a39d5d75b3701cff0131602c1476b4c5295629fccb9d09620bddc596ff1381b.jpg

• Advertisement

Always leave 5 until last. It's a pain to get through and the souls you get from it are pitance.

Advertisement