Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lost job & now bored at day!!

• 06-05-2009 4:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Ok long time lurker and occasional poster as u might have seen! But ive been working for a finance co in Dub for last whiile...but of course due to cuts a couple months back my job is gone.
    I just find the whole lack of things to do during "what used to be" working hours is killing me. Weekends and even 1 weeknight with lads to watch football is ok...but living at home with parents 6 nights a week is more than i can cope with at this stage.
    I'd love an option of pool, golf, quiz anything to get me out of the house midweek!!
    Anyone else in Carlow know what to do to fill their days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Stevecw wrote: »
    Ok long time lurker and occasional poster as u might have seen! But ive been working for a finance co in Dub for last whiile...but of course due to cuts a couple months back my job is gone.
    I just find the whole lack of things to do during "what used to be" working hours is killing me. Weekends and even 1 weeknight with lads to watch football is ok...but living at home with parents 6 nights a week is more than i can cope with at this stage.
    I'd love an option of pool, golf, quiz anything to get me out of the house midweek!!
    Anyone else in Carlow know what to do to fill their days?

join the random boards or carlow events, great way to meet new people and to get out more.. ask some of us here including myself and we'll all concur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

walking the dog was my favourite thing to do when I was in the house all day. It can be as long or as short as you want. The only requirement is... a dog... ?!?!!??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ShayK1 wrote: »
    The only requirement is... a dog... ?!?!!??!!

OR an invisible dog leash!! :D

24425_Invisible_Dog.jpg
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Oh no, sorry guys that was a seriously drunken post!! I don't even remember making it! After a nights drinking starting at 7 for the Utd game, and ending up in Temple for their cheap drink thing...which was promoted by bar staff in Dinn Ri which was a surprise!!
    But i am impressed at how well my spelling etc was!!;)

Anyways i know too well there isn't a whole lot to do in Carlow during day...and seeing that walking an invisible dog is best option ^ :D I rest my case!! (and promise not to post here again when hammered)!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

you can walk my dogs.

Drunken posts are the best though. You can get yourself into so much trouble. :-):-)

Do you want us to ignore original post or would you like some suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Don't worry about the 'drunken' posts Steve. I've been banned already for being 'non PC'.

How about trying out a little bit of Voluntary work? It could fill in a bit of time & you may make the connections to get something permanent.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I read an article in the sunday business post about www.talenttank.ie - its a free work community.

Basically companies post what work they're looking to get done for free and workers post what work they are willing to do for free and how long they are willing to do it. - Might be just a day a week for 3 weeks.

The idea is that a company can effectively get a free test drive on your abilities and if you're willing to try it you may get paid work after the free stint.

Not for everyone, but its a different approach to the market.

st catherines are looking for volunteers for their summer camps. Training provided.

Makes a change and would be loads of fun. A week's training and then week of summer camp about two weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    st catherines are looking for volunteers for their summer camps. Training provided.

Makes a change and would be loads of fun. A week's training and then week of summer camp about two weeks later.
    great idea as long as your not allergic to screming children:)

yes the children is the only drawback of the plan.:-) :-)

But then you would learn how to deal with then. You can pick age group to work with, 5/6, 7-9, 10-12. Id be going for the littlest ones :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Oh no, kids, no way!

As I said before, voluntary work is a good thing.

Do something you're intrested in. That way you're enthousiasm might be noticed by the right people.

Either way, it's a good thing to put on your CV.:)

Advertisement