Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Professional Musical You've Paid to See?

Options
  • 06-05-2009 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

The Rent thread have me an idea for this, I know it's a very subjective issue but what's the worst show you've paid to see? What was so bad about it?

Will post my list later, there are a few candidates!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No posts?

Oh well here goes....

Most painful storyline - Starlight Express. It's a kids storybook, should have been left at that!

Most sleep inducing - Lion King/Guys & Dolls

Most why the hell did I part with my hard earned cash for that?? - a certain production of an AIDs-based musical in 2000 is certainly a contender. The new "updated" version of Blood Brothers is also in there, why mess with something good just to "techno" up the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I don't think I've seen that many professional musicals tbh! I've only seen professional ones in New York and London, I've never gotten to any of the travelling productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

The Producers on Broadway with Tony Danza in the lead..... terrible.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The Producers in london a few years ago

The first time I went to see a musical and got the tickets for free.
    I was very disappointed. I have seen better school musicals.
    I think I would have been looking for my money back if I had paid.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i found the lion king rather boring, as i had seen the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

Fiftysix wrote: »
    The Producers on Broadway with Tony Danza in the lead..... terrible.......

Agreed, I was at it too (were you on the DCU Drama broadway trip Fiftysix?), some of our group fell asleep!

I would have liked to have seen the original production with Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick - Danza was rubbish and just went through the motions.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen "guest stars" do well on Broadway, including:

Joey Fatone in RENT
    Molly Ringwald in Cabaret
    Christina Applegate in Sweet Charity
    Billy Zane in Chicago
    George Wendt in Hairspray

...which were all quite good.

But yes, Tony Danza was pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Most disappointing celebrity for me was Ewan McGregor in Guys & Dolls, his singing was weak, showed how much production was done on the Moulin Rouge soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JennyQ4496

Went to see Chicago on Broadway about 2 years ago and thought it was utter rubbish! Could'nt believe that it was selling out and running for that long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Chess in the Point, donkeys years ago, although maybe I was just too young.

Jesus Christ Superstar, also in the Point, think it was about 1998 or 99. I LOVE that show, but my God, the sound quality was appalling. Ruined the whole thing.

Advertisement