Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pick your best side...

• 06-05-2009 9:40am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With fantasy teams, you are restricted to getting every top class player.

So if you were a team manager with the budget of Man City, what would your team look like? And picking only current players.

Mine would be along the lines of this:

B: Tom Harley - Darren Glass - Matthew Scarlett

HB: Bryce Gibbs - Rhyce Shaw - Adam Selwood

C: Joel Corey - Joel Selwood - Dale Thomas

HF: Robert Murphy - Nick Riewoldt - Cyril Rioli

F: Eddie Betts - Jonathon Brown - Buddy Franklin

R: Dean Cox - Gary Ablett - Scott Pendlebury

I/C: Luke Hodge - Darren Jolly - Michael Osbourne - Jarryd Roughead

Probably not to defensive of a side, and had to accomodate a lot of players out of position, but generally all in or around the right areas.

Back line of Harley, Galss and Scarlett is as good as you'd get. All could be in the centre really, but its where I think Glass is the best full back in the competition.

Half backs wouldnt be overly defensive, all great players on the ball and good with posession. Have Luke Hodge on I/C to rough things up a bit when needed.

Hard to look past Geelong for centres. And I really rate Dale Thomas too. Michael osbourne is a player I think is very under rated, and can do a job from I/C.

Riewoldt is a great player and some man to take a mark. Murphy is an ideal centre forward too the way he plays on, and I just love watching Rioli play, always electrifying.

2 big men in full forward, Franklin and Brown, best goalkickers around. And with betts there as a super goal sneak, be hard to see past them. Jarryd Roughead proved at the weekend what he is capable of, and if the three of them were on at the same time it would be fairly hard to keep all 3 out!

Rovers/followers then, and the first 2 need no explaining. Cox and Ablett would be on everyones teams. cox is by far the best ruckman, and Ablett is just unnatural. I like Scott Pendlebury too, think he has a good future. The best other ruckman IMO would be Darren Jolly who has really stepped up in the last couple of years.

Some notable omissions from this side too.
    Chris Judd for one. I wouldnt have a turncoat like him in my side.
    Brendan Fevola, a clown and liable to do anything on the pitch form scoring 10 goals to giving away 2 consecutive 50m penalties.
    Adam Cooney, a good player, but a bit of a flash in the pan for me.
    Adam Goodes, probably just past it now, but was closs enough.
    Andrew Lovett, had him in my side, but chose Dale Thomas ahead of him.
    Leon Davis, having a vey good year, but needs to be consistant.
    Brent Harvey, did his elbow so out injured! nah, he was close, but probably on the older side of things and just misses out.
    Brad Sewell, was close, but hard to dislodge the centres there.
    Pavlich,Sandilands,Mcpharlin, all close, except they play for Fremantle.
    Simon Black, again, probably just past his peak.
    Daniel Bradshaw, was either him or Buddy, and I think Buddy will be huge in every sense of the word.

I could nearly pick 2 teasm with the lads I left out! Would be interesting to see a side like that play. Guaranteed plenty of goals, but I'd say they'd concede a lot too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very tough thing to do but I'll give it a bash

B: Lindsay Gilbee - Darren Glass - Matthew Scarlett

HB: Sam Fisher - Sam Mitchell - Luke Hodge

C: Adam Cooney - Dale Thomas - Brad Sewell

HF: Adam Goodes - Matthew Richardson - Cyril Rioli

F: Nick Riewoldt - Johnathon Brown - Lance Franklin

R: Dean Cox - Gary Ablett - Chris Judd

I/C: Jimmy Bartel - Darren Jolly - Matthew Pavlich - Joel Corey

Ok I've had to omit a fair few players but anyway -

Backs - Scarlett and Glass are automatic choices imo. The third spot was a tricky one to fill but I opted for Lindsay Gilbee, a solid player who is averaging just under 22 disposals so far this year for the Bulldogs.

Half Backs - I've cheated a bit and put Sam Mitchell here but he has played that role for the Hawks this year. Hodge is one of the coolest customers around and can play equally as well off either foot. Sam Fisher has been one of the main men behind the Saints cracking start to the season and is an All Australian at that position.

Centres - Horrible decisions had to be made here. Sewell was a shoe in for me. Impressed every time I've watched him play. Cooney had a stunning season last year and Thomas is just an exciting talent.

Half Forwards - Richo, despite his advancing years, is still pure class, and (I think) he has the most marks so far this season. Rioli is the bit of flair thrown into the mix and Goodes is imo one of the best players around.

Forwards - Goals, goals, goals. That's what I'd be guaranteed from the three boys. Big players who lead by example and would be a nightmare for any back line.

Ruck - Cox is the premier ruckman in the competition and Ablett and Judd could back 35+ possessions each on an average day.

Interchange - Couldn't leave Joel Corey out altogether so he gets a spot, as does the ever consistent Pavlich. Jolly is a solid back up for Cox and Jimmy Bartel is a man with unquestionable credentials.

I would have liked another small forward like Medhurst, Didak, Betts etc but Rioli can be pushed into the pocket if needs be with Thomas going into the half forward line.

Pendlebury was seriously considered, as were Ted Richards, Cameron Mooney, Tom Harley, Leon Davis, Adam Selwood and the Cornes brothers (though I think they're past their best now).

Resisted the temptation to put in Cousins for sentimental reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Based on position and on sheer talent not on injuries but current players. ie I wouldnt play Glass/Scarlett in the same team.

B: Goddard - Scarlett - P Burgoyne
    HB: Hodge - Egan - Lockyer
    C: L Davies - Ablett - Bartell
    HF: J Brown - N Riewoldt - Rioli
    F: Swan - Franklin - Chapman
    Foll: Cox - Sewell - J Selwood
    Int: Jolly - Judd - Mitchell - Captain Kirk

My only tough decisin here was Kirk/Ling as a tagger. Egan has not played footy in 2 years but he is head and shoulders above any current CHB his inclusion might be debatable, but I cant honestly think of anyone else except Scarlett playing up there on the likes of Buddy.

Advertisement