Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections

Options
  • 06-05-2009 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Arent our councillors setting a great example. They are once again destroying the countryside and towns with their posters everywhere. Pity they feel the need to be in your face in order to get elected. Perhaps if they put the same effort into doing what they are now getting overpaid to do they wouldnt need the posters to get elected. The ties from the last last election are still on the poles. Is this not a form of litter and illegal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Not sure if this is a consumer issue as such but anyway!

Not sure about other areas but in my own they had their posters up earlier than they were suppose to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is this not a form of litter and illegal.
    It is both. Election posters must be removed within a stipulated time following an election or else the person on the poster is deemed to be guilty of an offence. They just rip down the easily identifiable posters but leave the anonymous cable-ties in place. Lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The candidates have a grace period after an election to remove their posters after which they are considered litter and the local authority of the area can persue the candidate accordingly.

There was a few still up after a few weeks after the 07' general election.
    My local authority contacted the candidate in question and he removed them pretty quickly it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

I hate seeing posters plastered everywhere you go, they obstruct your view when driving too. Plus who wants to look at FF and FG ugly mugs. "High we're the party who ripped you off, threw you out of your homes, destroyed the economy and made you bail out those who were responsible".

I'd much prefer to see my local councellor at my front door pitching to me why I should vote for him/her and not another party. For me the most proactive in my area are SF and Labour (I live a mainly FF/FG area, Killiney) so the FF/FG guys just take for granted that you'll vote for them.

I have no faith in any party at the moment other than SF (I know i'll be berrated for that comment) but they do tons in my community and they're the only party who's been talking any sense for the past few years.

But hey what do we do with the parties we have to choose from, all are flawed in their own ways. I want change and I dont want FF, FG or the Greens in government anymore they've proven they aren't up to the job.

Its radical I know but SF will be getting my vote along with Labour (they're building a pretty stong alliance too).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Hagar wrote: »
    It is both. Election posters must be removed within a stipulated time following an election or else the person on the poster is deemed to be guilty of an offence. They just rip down the easily identifiable posters but leave the anonymous cable-ties in place. Lazy.

Was there not some plan to have the cable ties identifiable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I hate seeing posters plastered everywhere you go, they obstruct your view when driving too. Plus who wants to look at FF and FG ugly mugs. "High we're the party who ripped you off, threw you out of your homes, destroyed the economy and made you bail out those who were responsible".

I'd much prefer to see my local councellor at my front door pitching to me why I should vote for him/her and not another party. For me the most proactive in my area are SF and Labour (I live a mainly FF/FG area, Killiney) so the FF/FG guys just take for granted that you'll vote for them.

I have no faith in any party at the moment other than SF (I know i'll be berrated for that comment) but they do tons in my community and they're the only party who's been talking any sense for the past few years.
    agree about the posters but the green party idea to have wooden boards seems like the rest of their ideas, a total waste of resources.

as for local councillors appearing at people's front doors i doubt many are brave enough to go door to door this time as there are just too many people losing their homes and jobs and baying for Fianna Fail blood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

best thing to do imo is to vote for the candidate with the least or no posters up

Don't vote, it only encourages them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Hagar wrote: »
    Don't vote, it only encourages them.

not voting is just plain stupid

Whoosh...
    Did anything just go over your head? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm going to move this to Politics - mods I aplogise if not the best home.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement